F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner cv boot tearing repeatedly

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner cv boot tearing repeatedly

I have a 2016 AWD R, and after I tuned the car a while back I keep tearing inner cv boots on the left front side after a month or so
I've replaced it two times.
The first time I replaced the entire cv axle.
The 2nd time I repacked it with a boot kit.
The first time was a few months back.
The straps keep tearing and I saw that now I have a chunk where the first one scraped the hell out of the housing where the strap came unraveled.
I was pulling out of a parking spot and went over a slight bump(not even speedbump height) and heard a few clicks. Instantly my heart sank because I was afraid of what I heard again.
After the first time I had to replace the upper control arm because the stupid balljoint nut wouldnt come off, so it had to be cut out.
I was detailing my car and looked inside the wheel today and there is of course fresh grease flung everywhere.

I took it to my class onto a lift since I just started an ase program and my prof found the the driveshaft is also having problems leaking rear differential fluid where they meet.
When I drive it occasionally makes a grinding noise under about where the arm rest/center console is, as well as a bumping sound where apparently my exhaust is bouncing.
The cats were replaced about 3-4 months ago under warranty. Ive been having occasional CEL codes for oxygen sensors or running lean/rich. Got an email there's a recall on those too! HOW EXCITING!
Ive replace the front calipers and coolant flush just to make sure I wasn't giving it excessive heat. I am in a very hot state.
Calipers got replaced because before I saw the inner boot torn, the car was shaking madly on hard stops and I had a lot of heat coming from that side.
Before the tune, I had numerous things done to prepare it for the excessive heat and stress. I replaced all the fluids and had the spark plugs changed, at the dealership.
Thankfully after getting it back from them it's been so much easier to work on because of all the extra bolts they saved me from having to remove from the skirts by just simply losing them.

So do I need to now start looking at new struts/springs too? Do I have to buy an entire cv axle or can I just replace the boot?
I never had issues like this before the tune(s), but it is constantly the same inner cv boot strap.
Is a bad seal causing heat issues into my boot from the front differential?
Do I give into the clockwork orange visions in my head of just burning the car in a field and just buying a 90's era truck?

Old 09-26-2021, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done

Alright I'm done with this car. This has been nothing but a horrible experience.
I hope new users read this before dealing with this forum or vap. Especially any young people who got fooled into purchasing one of these thinking they finally got the car of their dreams. It's heartbreaking and disappointing. I hope this never happens to any of you.

I prepped my car properly for the tune and upgrades. I get them and end up in peeing match with vap after I accidentally order the wrong pulley. They say no problem just send it back. I send it back and they accuse me of putting it on the car and sending it back damaged. After they kept delaying the order and I had given them about 3500 in business. I was up till 9am putting my original pulley back in after pulling it out and seeing the new one wasn't going to work.

Right after that I get double lung pneumonia covid so I tell them I don't have the patience to deal with this argument as any added stress trying to prove to them I had no reason to lie about scratching the big pulley they sent me..
I sent it back exactly the way it came to me with a few nicks, because some how the people capable of mapping a complex ecu send me a SC pulley packed inside the steel crank pulley expecting it not to get scratched traveling thousands of miles.
I had to beg them just to please believe me I didn't use it or damage the pulleys.
Month or so later the right pulley system comes, which I have no problem admitting I was at fault for ordering the wrong crank pulley. That's not the problem, it's the absolute disrespect to someone who spent multiple thousands on your products which I'm sure you could tell I hadn't even loaded the tuning files till I had finally actually got the right pulley.
I end up having problems after the tune, immediately breaking inner cv boot straps and ripping the boot which is an enormous pain to keep replacing. I didn't even blame vap for that I just asked what I did or could do to prevent this.

Instead this place protects dealerships and sponsors from any criticism for dollar sakes.
Instead what gets replies are posts about stickers and questions about cars that aren't even f types in here.
Also what I've noticed is any time someone merely disagrees with some forum vet they get dog piled on. I've seen newbies get talked down to for absolutely no reason other than questioning what was being said.
I worked really hard to earn a car like this that I thought was a beautiful piece of art. What it actually is is suped up thunderbird made with cheap screws, constant issues electronically and mechanical.
I am so tired of hating my car. I ask a fair question without even putting any blame on anyone but me seeking advice. I have access to alldata.com. I have the exact way to service this car via jaguars specific instructions so I could do it myself since the dealers seem to never have any idea how to fix the most mediocre of problems.
I kept having issues with a CEL showing codes for oxygen sensors. They keep insisting it isn't them, which was way before any tuning done to it.

Kept letting me spend thousands on diagnosing and fixing irrelevant issues because I trusted them.
Surprise! I get an email from jaguar(not the dealership) saying o2 sensors are failing and need to be recalled. After just replacing the cats under warranty on what was a 3 year old car at the time, also under extended warranty/recall.
I make a post asking why I keep having the same issue. Plenty of views not even a single reply to a post clearly made by someone who just wants help because I can't even trust the dealer.
All I ever hear about jaguar is how you need to buy a 2nd car when owning one being so unreliable.

This is such a disgusting way to do business. I am so sad for anyone who takes one of these vehicles home and thinks they finally got their dream car only to find out it's going to spend most of its time in a garage. I don't understand how you can look at people who are so in love with this car's sounds, styling and power then just shatter the dreams of people who finally are able to afford one.
I would feel so much shame if I did this to anyone.
I DONT WANT TO HATE THIS CAR BUT I ABSOLUTELY DO.

I've given up this is so depressing to not only see what I've gone through but more so thinking about all the smiling faces of people who think they've finally got their first supercar be wiped clear off, while feeling like they have nobody they can trust or even simply ask for help.
I hope all of you have better experiences but I am done with this. No person should have to feel like a loser and jerk for finally owning the kind of car you grow up having posters on your wall of only to have those dreams dashed.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:36 AM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Once the hood goes up, it doesn’t go back down.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:39 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ftypeawd
All I ever hear about jaguar is how you need to buy a 2nd car when owning one being so unreliable.
You don't hear that from me, the only mileage my second car does is to the annual test centre. The F-Type is my fourth Jaguar and all have been reliable. Sorry you've had so much grief with yours, it's not typical in my experience.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Inner cv boot ripping solution! Old thread I know. But if someone else has the same issue, hopefully this helps. I was dealing with the same driver's side inner cv boot ripping. So the issue is, the driver's side motor mount is broke, causing the engine to move so much upward, that the cv boot hits the tunnel frame and rips. I just changed my motor mount and before I did I jacked the engine up on driver's side. Yep the axle/cv boot actually touches that tunnel frame! I replaced with an oe one at the moment, however I have another set of vulcan amt motor mounts for my c6 corvette that happens to be the exact same height. So I am gonna modify two motor mount bases to fit these in, for when the mounts fail again(hopefully not for awhile). I plan on modding my f type r and if I'm breaking mounts at stock power levels, surely modded will be even more of a liability. I will try to remember to post a new thread on modded mounts, but it likely won't be for awhile. Thanks for reading!

The following 5 users liked this post by Muhstang81:
Borbor (03-08-2023), Carbuff2 (03-07-2023), DJS (03-07-2023), Revelasti (02-08-2024), uncheel (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

"All I ever hear about jaguar is how you need to buy a 2nd car"

Well, it's true, up to a point. After buying my F-Type, I had to go out and buy a F-Pace for the times I need to haul stuff or had more than one passenger.

Meanwhile, I'm curious how you didn't know enough to order the right belt in the first place, but DID manage to figure out it was the wrong one before trying to install it.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:47 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

My second car (Nissan Almera) has done about 1,000 miles since 2007! Jaguars are so unreliable!