F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing/adding park assist

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021 | 01:08 PM
|
Default installing/adding park assist

I just took delivery of my 2022 F-Type R the only package I am missing is the park assist feature, is there a way to retrofit it?

Old 10-22-2021 | 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

I just tried parking assist on my 2021 or the first time.

You need a lot of confidence in the car to feel good about it!
IMO it moves the car too quickly.
It also requires the operator to perform activities during the parking/unparking process that are displayed on the small driver side display.
While I have no expereinec of similar systems in other cars, I would say this one is a bit limited in its smart capabilities.

I now know it works but will likely never use it again as long as I own the car.
I have more confidence in my own ability to park than the car's computer.
I hope I am never required to rely on a self drive car!

The following 2 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
bb_sam (10-22-2021), scm (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021 | 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I just tried parking assist on my 2021 or the first time.

You need a lot of confidence in the car to feel good about it!
IMO it moves the car too quickly.
It also requires the operator to perform activities during the parking/unparking process that are displayed on the small driver side display.
While I have no expereinec of similar systems in other cars, I would say this one is a bit limited in its smart capabilities.

I now know it works but will likely never use it again as long as I own the car.
I have more confidence in my own ability to park than the car's computer.
I hope I am never required to rely on a self drive car!
+1 Totally agree. I have this on my (new to me) 2018 F-type R-Dynamic but never had it on my previous F-type. I am paranoid about curb rash and this park assist is just too close for comfort for me -- in terms of how close it gets to the curb. The only time I found it marginally helpful is getting out of a tight parallel parking spot...but even then, it's only helpful because it seems to be able to crank the wheel to its maximum turning radius a lot faster than a human could. I certainly wouldn't pay anything extra for this feature -- nor would I retrofit it.

As a final point, having had a previous F-type that didn't have park assist -- I notice that the parking sensors are WAY more sensitive (likely because there are more of them on the car). So, I can literally be driving in traffic and the sensors will trigger an alarm -- it's annoying to have to override it and turn off the alarm each time.

Old 10-22-2021 | 06:57 PM

"IMO it moves the car too quickly."

i don't have this in the jag but have had 4 other cars with this feature and surely you just modulate the speed with the brake. I hope you just aren' t leaving it completely up to the car .

Old 10-23-2021 | 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

I have it in the F-Pace and have almost never used it. I find it only marginally useful, and only for parallel parking. First you have to engage the parking assist (a bit slow) so it can scan for the parking space that you know is open. After driving past the space, it usually recognizes the opening and you can start the parking process (if the cars behind you were patient enough to leave room to maneuver). I will say it's good at cutting things close in a tight space, but I haven't used it enough to build up real confidence in the system.

Old 10-23-2021 | 09:57 AM

I have the parking assist feature on my wife's 20017 Cadillac XT5 and hate it. When we bought the car, I immediately took it out to test its ability to park, both pull in style and parallel parking. Watching the small screen giving you instructions (Put car in Reverse, Apply Brake, Put Car in drive) was both super annoying and disconcerting given that I also wanted to watch what the car was doing to avoid any crunching of the car next to me. As a result, I tried it two or three times and decided that I could do just as well as the Hal 9000 computer in the car, but loads faster. I have this same system on my 2018 F-Type R Coupe and have never even tried it.