F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance for F-Type SVR Impossible

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 04:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Insurance for F-Type SVR Impossible

I just bought a 2017 F-Type SVR and I'm getting murdered on my Geico Insurance. They don't even take into account making it a low mileage vehicle so I'm paying for two vehicles in full. So far I have checked with Hagerty (max 500 miles per year allowed), Safeco (refused to cover due to my age of 29 lol), Grundy's (refused to cover due to no private garage). Any other options or do I need to just use Geico and pay through the nose?

Old 02-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Try the Progressive web-site. You can compare rates for different insurers there. Also if Erie Insurance is in your area try them. If you own a house get a quote from whomever you have you home owner's insurance through.

The following users liked this post:
Golfnutjtl (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:25 PM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Try to find an insurance broker that can shop different insurance companies. Else start doing online quotes.

Hagerty and Grundy are only for collector cars and needs to be a garaged secondary car…ie, not a primary vehicle.

Last edited by Craaaazzy; 02-26-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:32 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd be very happy to pay those silly rates if i could be 29 again, and driving a car like that. It's taken me another 45 years to get there!

The following 4 users liked this post by dibbyandco:
bobjagbob (02-28-2024), curtw (03-07-2024), SCMike (03-02-2024), YRS (03-10-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
I'd be very happy to pay those silly rates if i could be 29 again, and driving a car like that. It's taken me another 45 years to get there!
Well it wasn't the best financial decision but the EV mandates moved my timeline up a bit. I didn't want to have regrets that I didn't do it when I had the chance. It's just irritating that I have more varied driving experience than most 50 year olds but insurance is still treating me like I'm a hazard.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:25 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Hagerty sent me an F quote

I have my 69 E insured through Hagerty and just for fun, submitted my 2017 F 6 cylinder... Have garage, own house, old enough, and they came back with $1327. Have to compare coverage with my current West Bend that has house, etc. (live in Wisconsin).

Old 02-27-2024, 12:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with Allstate as Geico and USAA upped my rates just because. I asked what was the reasoning and the lady on the phone said it was a company wide increase done about 4 months ago. I called Allstate and now I am back on the road.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I will give you the same answer GEICO (government employee insurance company) gave me way back in the 80's when I was working DOD stuff. Called to get my 68 Triumph GT6 insured and got "oh, we do not insure those types of vehicles" What? I have held a #1 salute to geico ever since.

As someone said, check your household insurance company.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:41 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Try AAA.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:44 PM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Valerie, this seems awfully high for collector car insurance. I just got a policy from Grundy and paid $640/year with value of $50k. I had Haggerty for my 85 RX7 previously but Grundy had better price on the Jag.

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I have my 69 E insured through Hagerty and just for fun, submitted my 2017 F 6 cylinder... Have garage, own house, old enough, and they came back with $1327. Have to compare coverage with my current West Bend that has house, etc. (live in Wisconsin).

Old 02-27-2024, 03:53 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default $1327 for F by itself

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
Valerie, this seems awfully high for collector car insurance. I just got a policy from Grundy and paid $640/year with value of $50k. I had Haggerty for my 85 RX7 previously but Grundy had better price on the Jag.
Sorry I didn't explain this well enough. I have Hagerty for my E, $85000 agreed value for $767/annual. The $1327 was just for the F. Have to dig out my regular Home/Auto policy to compare what coverage Hagerty had for the $1327.

Not whining at all about my E Hagerty rate. Had an unfortunate garage accident this past August. Car is at the shop now and we have gone through 3/4 of what they gave me a check for.

Even on our regular policy we did see noticeable increases on home and auto policy costs, and we live in central Wisconsin, don't have the storms/bad weather that have plagued California/West Coast and the east coast/Florida. . All you have to do is watch the news when the clips show the cars swamped, washed away, upside down etc and know that your rates are going nowhere but ^^^^^ UP

Old 02-27-2024, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

I got quoted about 2k a year with Hagerty for 3,000 miles a year. I stuck with USAA, where I pay about the same but have coverage of 500k/300k

Old 02-27-2024, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,470 Likes on 8,639 Posts

I partially blame the TV lawyers who brag about their multi million dollar awards for helping to pump up insurance rates. My insurance saw massive increase for bodily injury and collision (2 separate line items). The other line items stayed the same.
Car is a 2024 Nissan Altima and ins. company is Mercury. (I know it's not a Jaaag and won't be any anymore, long sad story)

Old 02-28-2024, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Seems as if everyone (not just Jaguar or other specialty marques) is complaining about vast increases in insurance premiums this year! Ours will be renewed in the fall. I'm going to hide in a cardboard box...

Our current cost of full coverage insurance on the F is ~$1000. (collision, comprehensive, 300/500). It is designated as an 'extra car' but not a collector car.
ALL our cars (dailies, collectors) are garaged, if that makes a difference.

The wife's new 2023 Lexus RX F-Sport SUV is $2400, just as another point of comparison.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
ALL our cars (dailies, collectors) are garaged, if that makes a difference.
In the UK some insurers will charge extra for garaged since you're likely to damage the car driving it in and out! British garages are notoriously tiny, in general - we're not all Harry Metcalfe!

bobjagbob (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:39 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Be careful about going online and looking at websites that promise to compare rates from multiple companies. After you enter all of your personal data, instead of seeing the expected rates from several companies your information will be sold to marketing companies. And a few days later you will start getting phone calls from people who want you to repeat all the info about your vehicle again. It took me weeks to tell all of them to put me on the do not call list.

The best thing to do is pick up the phone and call all of the major insurers and ask to speak with an agent directly.

I have my 2021 F Type R insured along with my Mazda CX 5 on a blanket policy that is also my homeowners insurance. It costs close to $2000 a year for the Jag. My homeowners insurance TRIPLED this year. The explanation was that losses to all insurance companies in California were high. Comparing rates was an exercise in futility. Rates for similar coverage were all within $100 of each other. The automobile portion of the policy will come due in May. I'm fully expecting to get hosed. And shopping around will also likely prove there is collusion and/or price fixing among the major companies so I don't even know if I should bother.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 02-28-2024 at 06:47 PM.
bobjagbob (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:26 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

These F-types in relative terms are shockingly expensive to insure. I had gotten a quote a few months back from my insurer. It was going to be reasonable in my view. 4 months later I got an updated price now that I'm closer to delivey. The updated figure was over double of what I was quote those few months prior. I was NOT pleased. This is despite me being almost 50 with no accidents and a perfect driving record. I called other insurers and they were like beyond insane even compared to my insurer.

I called Hagerty and they won't look at you unless you've been driving a car like this for at least 3 years. At least here in Canada. I'll check back with them then in the hope of getting a better rate.

To give an example, this 2024 R I have coming is over twice as expensive to insure when compared to a 911 through the same insurer. A C8 Corvette was only slightly more than a 911 to insure. My agent has an actuarial request in to get an explanation as to why it increased so drastically in such a short period, and why it way more than other similar cars.

Kinda weird.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Be careful about going online and looking at websites that promise to compare rates from multiple companies. After you enter all of your personal data, instead of seeing the expected rates from several companies your information will be sold to marketing companies. And a few days later you will start getting phone calls from people who want you to repeat all the info about your vehicle again. It took me weeks to tell all of them to put me on the do not call list.

The best thing to do is pick up the phone and call all of the major insurers and ask to speak with an agent directly.

I have my 2021 F Type R insured along with my Mazda CX 5 on a blanket policy that is also my homeowners insurance. It costs close to $2000 a year for the Jag. My homeowners insurance TRIPLED this year. The explanation was that losses to all insurance companies in California were high. Comparing rates was an exercise in futility. Rates for similar coverage were all within $100 of each other. The automobile portion of the policy will come due in May. I'm fully expecting to get hosed. And shopping around will also likely prove there is collusion and/or price fixing among the major companies so I don't even know if I should bother.
Yeah but I'm getting quotes of $2250 for six months on a 2017 f-type and that's the low end. Allstate quoted $700 a month. It doesn't even make sense.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
These F-types in relative terms are shockingly expensive to insure. I had gotten a quote a few months back from my insurer. It was going to be reasonable in my view. 4 months later I got an updated price now that I'm closer to delivey. The updated figure was over double of what I was quote those few months prior. I was NOT pleased. This is despite me being almost 50 with no accidents and a perfect driving record. I called other insurers and they were like beyond insane even compared to my insurer.

I called Hagerty and they won't look at you unless you've been driving a car like this for at least 3 years. At least here in Canada. I'll check back with them then in the hope of getting a better rate.

To give an example, this 2024 R I have coming is over twice as expensive to insure when compared to a 911 through the same insurer. A C8 Corvette was only slightly more than a 911 to insure. My agent has an actuarial request in to get an explanation as to why it increased so drastically in such a short period, and why it way more than other similar cars.

Kinda weird.
Please let me know if you hear anything. Allstate quoted me $700 per month. No accidents in my entire 11 year driving history.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:20 AM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
My agent has an actuarial request in to get an explanation as to why it increased so drastically in such a short period, and why it way more than other similar cars..
Some of this is parts unavailability. I've seen at least 2 F-Types totaled out by the insurers with relatively minor damage. If the only payouts are zero and "total", then I'm guessing the rates are going to go way up.

Quick Reply: Insurance for F-Type SVR Impossible