Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Intercoolers

The F Type has one. Could someone with an EPC confirm whether the same one is used on both the V6 and V8?

Previous experience has suggested that there is much to be gained through more efficient Intercoolers, so I'm wondering if the one on the V8 is bigger or not...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Isn't it an air-liquid intercooler, built into the intake manifold?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Isn't it an air-liquid intercooler, built into the intake manifold?
Is there an external heat exhanger somewhere?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Is there an external heat exhanger somewhere?
The aluminium part on top of the engine is an air/water (it appears to be plumbed in to the engine cooling system) Intercooler.

Making it colder, and/or bigger boosts power through increasing the density of the air going into the engine and/or getting more pressurised air into the engine.

If you live in the Northern States of the U.S., or Canada, there's another reason why it's so much easier to spin the wheels in the Autumn...

Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Also, consider leaving the cover off the engine, as per the picture in the above post so the engine can loose heat faster.
Lawrence.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
The aluminium part on top of the engine is an air/water (it appears to be plumbed in to the engine cooling system) Intercooler.

Making it colder, and/or bigger boosts power through increasing the density of the air going into the engine and/or getting more pressurised air into the engine.

If you live in the Northern States of the U.S., or Canada, there's another reason why it's so much easier to spin the wheels in the Autumn...
Oh, sure...I just wondered if the intercooler had its own 'heat exchanger' or ? I'm not really familiar with the temps involved - presumably if the air is cooled to engine temps (say 200F) that is considered 'cool'??? The heat generated by the supercharger compressing the air must be considerable.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

There is a separate radiator / heat exchanger for the intercooler circuit that sits in front of the main radiator.

It's the same part for the V6 and the V8, and same part as used on earlier Jag models too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
mshedden (08-02-2015), Panthro (11-22-2016)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Per the Kenne Bell site, at 10 psi boost on a 70 degree day the air coming out of the supercharger is supposed to be around 215 degrees without an intercooler. I wonder how much heat is really extracted in the brief time the air spends in the intercooler.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

pv=nrt. So a 5% drop in absolute temperature will mean 5% more oxygen going into the engine available to combust.

So the question is more whether this circuit works more like the heater, or the aircon radiator in the climate control. The former will be at close to boiling point, while the latter will be close to freezing point...

Old 08-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

pv=nrt. So a 5% drop in absolute temperature will mean 5% more oxygen going into the engine available to combust.

So the question is more whether this circuit works more like the heater, or the aircon radiator in the climate control. The former will be at close to boiling point, while the latter will be close to freezing point...
With its own heat exchangers in front of the radiator I would think it is going to be running coolant at ambient temps, which then has just a brief exposure to the intake charge as it rushes by the intercooler at the supercharger.

This is worth further research for sure. I wonder if a larger heat exchanger would be a cheap source of a few hp.

I have heard that the supercharger heats up pretty quickly under sustained boost, and that it really only starts to build boost at all over 2,500 rpm. So I guess it makes some sense to keep it under 2,500 rpm especially at lower road speeds or hot weather if you want to have a cool charge available when things speed up. I pretty much do that anyway to keep the oil temps reasonable.

Gauges, we need gauges...

Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Keep in mind, there are 2 heat exchangers in that circuit:1) Ambient air to water heatx that sits in front of the conventional radiator and compressed air to water intercooler at the outlet side of the SC. I would think both would need to be enlarged for significant additional cooling. Of course, without knowing the effective surface area and fin design of each of the 2 heatx's it would be difficult to ascertain which heatx would be best to modify. Alternatively, as Nookieman states so eloquently: Gauges, we need gages. Inlet and outlet water temps of the front heatx and inlet and outlet air temps at the intercooler, would empirically indicate where the cooling bottleneck lies. The intercooler on my MINI is an air to air heatx. With this system, simply adding 50% more fin surface with the special edition GP intercooler made a very noticeable difference in performance, particularly on warmer days.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The intercooler on my MINI is an air to air heatx. With this system, simply adding 50% more fin surface with the special edition GP intercooler made a very noticeable difference in performance, particularly on warmer days.
Been there, done that. The fuel consumption dropped after fitting it too.

A Google image search shows sectioned jaguar intercoolers.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been curious to collect data on this as well. Therefore I setup a DAQ setup to start logging all engine parameters I was interested in . I have a couple CHT's and EGT's that run to a Thermocouple Amplifier. I'm going to have everything plumbed in once I finish the headers.
I'll post the 4.2L data I collect on the intercooler/ heat exchanger to aide in back-calculating for surface area. I plan to build a next heatexchanger for my test car and see if/any gains can be achieved within size limitations.
I'm hoping to start on the 5.0L data collection in a few months.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 11-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Cool tech read on a different turbine like supercharger

So glad you have the passion for Jaguars. I can't wait to see your headers installed and see how much of an improvement they are.

Hey I bet you'd like this. While researching available roots superchargers for my motorcycle (the mini Aisin Roots were pretty neat) I came across a supercharger I had only seen photo's of once. I had read that they were for only a narrow powerband, but that seems to be the hand made ones from the 50's. The modern ones are quite different due to the manufacturing improvements.

It's the Latham Axis supercharger. I found a Mazda forum where the modern day owner of the company (purchased from the FL inventor, Mr. Latham) was posting updates for his new kit for the Mazda RX8. When he started the company back up but with modern CAD CAM machines he was able to get much better tolerances than was possible when the original inventor built them by hand in the 50s.

Axial Flow Supercharger - RX8Club.com

Axial Flow Supercharger - RX8Club.com

(have to copy and paste one to get to the site)

The second owner was producing them in much larger numbers in the early 80's, with up to 1,000 sold. Not just for cars but also unlimited powerboats and WWII Mustang replica's with 600 ci engines.

He stopped back in the late 90's and is now offering them again, but out of solid billet. Really cool read. They do not superheat the air and require no intercoolers. They're very small as well. About the size of a alternator for the RX-8 engine.

I think they're going to price out around $4k + depending on the size. Just a cool tidbit for anyone that likes stuff like that. Anyway, keep up the good work for the Jaguar team.

Cheers,

Old 11-09-2015, 05:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Only 232 pages in that thread - must be good!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The F Type has one. Could someone with an EPC confirm whether the same one is used on both the V6 and V8?

Previous experience has suggested that there is much to be gained through more efficient Intercoolers, so I'm wondering if the one on the V8 is bigger or not...
I don't know the answer, but the V8 is not necessarily more "efficient." The 340HP base V6 is making more HP/liter than the 550HP V8.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Only 232 pages in that thread - must be good!
It goes from 2004 to 2009. I only looked at the ends. I can see a number of potential issues, but with no update in over five years I don't think it's worth enumerating them.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

One of the common modifications to the intercooler system on these cars is to fit a larger more efficient electric pump to the intercooler circuit.

On the earlier cars it was fairly common for the pumps to fail, which caused a loss of power as the ECU has to respond to the higher charge temperatures.

I won't say there is a hp gain to be had from the larger pump, think of it more as a "recovery" over the crappy stock pump, and a preventative action because the stock pump will fail sooner or later.

The stock pump on the F-Type is the same as the XF, XK, earlier cars, etc...

The commonly used pump is an AMG/Mercedes OEM part made by Bosch, part number ending in 010. Here's a good thread from the XFR guys https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/

The following users liked this post:
MagnumPI (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
The commonly used pump is an AMG/Mercedes OEM part made by Bosch, part number ending in 010. Here's a good thread from the XFR guys https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/
Back when I was into Benzes, the best mods were the bigger OEM stuff off the more expensive and newer models. Funny that it seems true beyond just their cars again the strategy is: pilfer it from a Mercedes. I've also been looking at brake upgrades/adaptations and they're consistently among the best.