F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Dimensions: F-Type Coupe R

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Interior Dimensions: F-Type Coupe R

Does anyone know (or provide a link to) the interior dimensions of the F-Type Coupe?
Leg Room? Head Room? Shoulder Room? etc.

I'm loving the style of this car, but at 6'3" 255lbs, would like to have an idea of the interior comfort level before I get myself too excited about heading to the nearest dealer.

The Jaguar site inexplicably does not list these specifications, and a google search did not turn up anything I would consider reliable.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Does anyone know (or provide a link to) the interior dimensions of the F-Type Coupe?
Leg Room? Head Room? Shoulder Room? etc.

I'm loving the style of this car, but at 6'3" 255lbs, would like to have an idea of the interior comfort level before I get myself too excited about heading to the nearest dealer.

The Jaguar site inexplicably does not list these specifications, and a google search did not turn up anything I would consider reliable.
The interior dimensions don't appear in the user manual or product catalog, but sources are quite consistent about the interior dimensions:

Legroom: 43"
Headroom: 37"
Shoulder room: 56.5"

Motor Trend, Jaguar dealer listings, and Car & Driver are all consistent about this.

I find dimensions difficult to visualize, so one decent proxy is to look at Jeremy Clarkson's review of the F-Type on Top Gear. He's 6'5" and easily 300lbs, and also pretty entertaining to watch as a British guy reviewing a British car:

The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
IronMike (06-07-2014), PD2911 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by schraderade
The interior dimensions don't appear in the user manual or product catalog, but sources are quite consistent about the interior dimensions:

Legroom: 43"
Headroom: 37"
Shoulder room: 56.5"

Motor Trend, Jaguar dealer listings, and Car & Driver are all consistent about this.
I've seen those numbers, but because they are identical to the specs for the F-Type Vert, I suspect they may have been cut and pasted from the Vert, which obviously has been on the market long enough to have these numbers confirmed.

I would expect some minor variance between the Coupe and the Vert. especially in the Headroom spec.

I have long arms and prefer not to have my chest/shoulders too close to the wheel, which appears to be the case in the video you posted... Can you confirm if the steering column includes tilt and/or telescopic functions?

Last edited by IronMike; 06-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

You are in SoCal, go to a dealer and sit in one. They are all over the place.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I am 6'4", 210. I tried out an F type convertible at a Jaguar Drive event. I decided it was too tight a fit for me. Maybe the coupe would be different, but probably not.
Vector

Old 06-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Does it have less legroom than an XK?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Does it have less legroom than an XK?
Significantly less.
They deliberately went for a snug cockpit design. This is a sports car whereas the XKR is more touring oriented.

It does feel (by dimensions and also by experience) quite a bit more roomy than a 911.

Hey ironmike, let us know what you decide!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Significantly less.
They deliberately went for a snug cockpit design. This is a sports car whereas the XKR is more touring oriented.

It does feel (by dimensions and also by experience) quite a bit more roomy than a 911.

Hey ironmike, let us know what you decide!
Had the opportunity to sit in an F-Type Coupe R yesterday, long enough to settle in, but did not have the time to drive. This is my observation as I believe it may pertain to most all XL or XXL drivers.

The F-Type Coupe is a bit constraining to me, at least in comparison to what I am used to. Current ride is a 2000 MBZ CLK 430 AMG Coupe. I drive with the seat back slightly reclined, and the seat bottom still has about 1/2" of rear travel available... In this position, I have ample room to extend my arms and legs in a completely natural position, arms slightly bent at the elbow, legs only slightly bent at the knees, right foot comfortably positioned with a loose 90 degree bend at the ankle, ample room to rest the left foot and leg.

For comparison:
The CLK 430 specs at 41.9 Legroom, 36.9 Headroom, and 52.9 Shoulder Room.
The Coupe R specs at 43.0 Legroom, 37.0 Headroom, and 56.5 Shoulder Room.

Those specs would lead one to believe the F-Type Coupe cockpit is slightly roomier, HOWEVER, after sliding out of one and right into the other, it is my opinion that either MBZ is exceedingly conservative in their specs, or Jaguar has exaggerated their numbers for some reason.

Sitting in the F-Type Coupe, with the seat as far back as it would go, and the steering column adjusted as far forward as it would go, the headroom was generous (this vehicle equipped with panoramic roof which I would definitely recommend), shoulder room presented no concerns, and my arms were able to extend similar to my current ride. Also had plenty of room for my left leg and foot, though I felt like I kept searching for something to rest it against (likely just the result of a different shape to the vehicles' footwell, and something I would expect I'd adapt to).
The all important right leg and foot however was not nearly as comfortable.

Right knee bent more than I prefer, and this with the right foot/ankle bent to a slightly uncomfortable and unnatural angle of less than 90 degrees. I do not know if the legroom specs are typically to the firewall, or to the pedals, and/or possibly the pedals are further away from the firewall in the Jag, but I would say I had a full two inches less legroom to the pedal in the F-Type, than in my CLK, even though the F-Type specs indicate a full inch more legroom.

The slighted cramped disposition of my driving leg was such that I am now reconsidering the F-Type Coupe altogether. Before I throw in the towel, I will find the time to test drive one and see if I can find a comfortable position, or at least one that I feel I can comfortably adapt to, because I am well aware that some part of my concerns stem from the fact that the F-Type is just different.

For the record, though I'm 6'3", my height is fairly evenly distributed between leg and torso. I wear a 32" inseam pant, which by no means suggests that I am exceedingly long legged. I have the arms (and face) of an ape, but that is a story for a different day...

Last edited by IronMike; 06-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
jaguny (06-09-2014), schraderade (06-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
For comparison:
The CLK 430 specs at 41.9 Legroom, 36.9 Headroom, and 52.9 Shoulder Room.
The Coupe R specs at 43.0 Legroom, 37.0 Headroom, and 56.5 Shoulder Room.

Those specs would lead one to believe the F-Type Coupe cockpit is slightly roomier, HOWEVER, after sliding out of one and right into the other, it is my opinion that either MBZ is exceedingly conservative in their specs, or Jaguar has exaggerated their numbers for some reason.
Nice review...I think it'll be helpful to other XL's (as you put it).
The MBZ could feel more comfortable because of the greater recline and horizontal seat travel available in the 2+2 coupe. The F-TYPE did look pretty damn tight for Jeremy Clarkson's 6'5" in the video above.

I'm still glad Jaguar made the decision to keep the cockpit snug, because in the end it really is a question of how to balance the better performance in a smaller car versus driver comfort for taller buyers. Porsche, as a more performance-oriented brand, has wrestled with this for a long time over many models, and made a similar decision when it revamped the 997 platform in 2012.

Let us know when you get the chance to drive the R!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:17 PM

I'm still glad Jaguar made the decision to keep the cockpit snug, because in the end it really is a question of how to balance the better performance in a smaller car versus driver comfort for taller buyers.
Cannot imagine it would have impacted anything except a few cubic inches of Trunk Volume if they had moved the bulkhead that separates the cockpit from the trunk space, back 1 or 2 inches, or even just raked it to a bit more of an angle, so the vehicle appealed to a larger audience.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

6"5 and do not fit in a SVR. However the dealer had the battery out of it on the show room floor so I could not play with the settings. I wanted to see if I could fit. I fit fine in my 12C so this was a let down.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by m3dragon
6"5 and do not fit in a SVR. However the dealer had the battery out of it on the show room floor so I could not play with the settings. I wanted to see if I could fit. I fit fine in my 12C so this was a let down.
Give it another try when you can put some juice to the seats. However, 6'-5" is pushing it to the limits, especially if you have just a bit of heft to you.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:24 PM

it is not a heft thing. Issue is seat adjustment ability.

If heft was a issue then how can I fit into my 12C. About the same size ISH. But the seat can be adjusted to work just fine.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by m3dragon
it is not a heft thing. Issue is seat adjustment ability.

If heft was a issue then how can I fit into my 12C. About the same size ISH. But the seat can be adjusted to work just fine.
"seat padding" has a lot to do with it. We have one or two drivers at 6-5 that on the slender side that still have head clearance. The new seats on the sport 400 probably offer more headroom as they are a less bulky design.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM

In either case, the car is not meant for taller gentleman. Sadly.

Hopefully they will release a new XFR-s to replace the current family hauler.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Get a convertible.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Hello NO!

I only buy coupes

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

If you set the base of the seat far enough back that your legs are nearly straight, you'll never reach the wheel - unless you have the arms of a Gibbon...