F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intersted in F-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intersted in F-type

HI everyone, previously had a 2012 XF but looking into getting the mid life crisis sports car and have always liked the F-type. Porsche, while great cars, just don't do it for me. I don't care for MB looks. I currently have a BMW 640 GC that I plan to keep for daily driving so not interested in a second BMW. I have always wanted an Aston but no local dealer and I've done the non-local service before and it's too much of a pain (service would be 2 hours away minimum). I have two questions:

1. I have a dealer in my hometown that has some of the 450s so going to go test drive one make sure I fit (6'3") but I'm trying to decide if that would be enough power or should I go for the R. I'm never going to take it to the track and in reality would just drive it around town and on some curvy back-roads and weekend getaways about 3 hours away with my wife. Tried to find if anyone has compared or driven both but mostly it's just talking about the trim and such. Has anyone regretted getting the lower power car?

2. With Jaguar no longer making gas cars after this year is there any concern about getting the car serviced or repaired? I assume there are already less available parts for these cars versus other discontinued cars given the production volume wasn't as high. I would plan to keep this car for a long time as I don't change out cars regularly.

Thanks everyone

Old 09-24-2024, 09:32 AM
Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I have driven both the pre-face lifted V6 S and currently own a post-face lift R. I honestly didn't want for too much more power in the V6 S, so the 450 will be absolutely plenty along with the V8 soundtrack. Honestly the R is a little too much as the second I put my foot down I have to let off unless it's a straightaway on the interstate. The 450 would IMO provide more engagement with being able to go through the gears more (and upshifting during WOT provides an incredibly addicting crackle every time). The 450 is a double win if it's rear wheel drive due to weight savings. But you really can't go wrong.

The following users liked this post:
bobaqfett (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 11:07 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

It’s also easy to tune the 450 for more power, should you want that and are comfortable with tuning.

bobaqfett (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 07:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m 6’3” too and fit in the F-Type just fine…might need to duck a bit at some stoplights to see the tree but not a biggie in my opinion. As mentioned, you can tune the 450 up to R horsepower if you ever get the urge for more. It all depends on your budget. The R is quite the experience! I would try to test drive both and see how you feel. If you’re not looking to tune (and potentially void warranty) but love the R power, then buy the R. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by ftype_rick:
bobaqfett (09-24-2024), HyltofWills (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,308 Likes on 899 Posts

The XF 5.0 performance would be about the same as the 4 cylinder F Type - the p300 engine - because the transmission is much sharper in the newer cars. I went from the XF 5.0 to the XKR 5.0SC (475hp from memory) to the F type 3.0SC V6S which started at 380hp and has been fiddled with to about 450hp or so. 450hp in the F type is light years quicker than the XKR's 5.0SC because of the better gearing and suspension. Personally I think 450hp is a great sweet spot for the F type, if you like RWD as opposed to AWD (which I do, more to the point I havent liked the AWD cars driving them on the track, though probably in normal daily use you wouldnt notice the difference). I wouldnt say no to another 100hp, but i wouldnt use it except to push the back end out for fun which the car does at 450hp nicely enough anyway.

I'm not concerned about servicing and parts, mine is coming on 8.5 years old now and it is pretty much trouble free. I just had to replace the aircond compressor but I have a very strong suspicion that was killed by mechanics who were doing some performance work on the car and changed the battery at the time, possibly they put it in backwards. Similarly the wheel bearing went a few years back but that was after the mechanics forgot to tighten the wheel nuts (d'oh!), so pretty much all major issues seem to have arisen after possible human error.

bobaqfett (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My F type R (2021 model year) is an exceptional car. You can drive it as sedately as you want or you can blister the tires. I find that 575 hp is not too much for the car because you never really use all of it for most daily driving. But the times when you can put your foot down, like entering the on ramp on the interstate, the pure power puts a huge grin on my face! I personally like all wheel drive as it make the car feel more planted to the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by jcolman:
bobaqfett (Yesterday), ftype_rick (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,144 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I went from the XF 5.0 to the XKR 5.0SC (475hp from memory) ...
Memory fail alert! The XKR 5.0 engine puts out 503bhp (510PS) - at least that what my 2010 XKR claimed..

BruceTheQuail (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,308 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Memory fail alert! The XKR 5.0 engine puts out 503bhp (510PS) - at least that what my 2010 XKR claimed..
unfortunately those terrible dunlops on them were hard pressed handling 300hp,between those and the overly invasive dts, the car was almost undriveable in the wet

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM
Received 487 Likes on 197 Posts

I have the P450 RWD that replaced a base model 340 HP V-6. Lots of difference between the two but the V-6 was really all I ever needed. The P450 with break the rear tires much easier obviously and I like that for the shear joy of being able to actually drive instead of steer.
One suggestion is to pull fuse 15 if you test drive one because that will make all the difference in world in the music the P450 makes. The only time the fuse is replaced is when my car goes to the dealer and I don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by SassySarah:
Atipical (Yesterday), bobaqfett (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaqfett
HI everyone, previously had a 2012 XF but looking into getting the mid life crisis sports car and have always liked the F-type. Porsche, while great cars, just don't do it for me. I don't care for MB looks. I currently have a BMW 640 GC that I plan to keep for daily driving so not interested in a second BMW. I have always wanted an Aston but no local dealer and I've done the non-local service before and it's too much of a pain (service would be 2 hours away minimum). I have two questions:

1. I have a dealer in my hometown that has some of the 450s so going to go test drive one make sure I fit (6'3") but I'm trying to decide if that would be enough power or should I go for the R. I'm never going to take it to the track and in reality would just drive it around town and on some curvy back-roads and weekend getaways about 3 hours away with my wife. Tried to find if anyone has compared or driven both but mostly it's just talking about the trim and such. Has anyone regretted getting the lower power car?

2. With Jaguar no longer making gas cars after this year is there any concern about getting the car serviced or repaired? I assume there are already less available parts for these cars versus other discontinued cars given the production volume wasn't as high. I would plan to keep this car for a long time as I don't change out cars regularly.

Thanks everyone
You’re gonna love one of these things. I have not driven a 450, but I certainly don’t feel that this 2024 R I have here is too over powered. Feels great, and when you really wanna giver er’ it will be there. For me that’s what a purchase like this is all about. I didn’t want to modify so I chose to make sure I got as much power at purchase time as possible. I too prefer the planted aspect of AWD. This is one of the better AWD implementations. It’s still very rear biased.

Another consideration: These new Rs got both the engine and suspension setup directly from the previous gen SVR. That said, in theory it will be a better handling car than a P450. Pretty sure this is the case. Had my car up on my lift recently and saw SVR stamped all over some of suspension components.

Finally, I always thought this purchase would be a 911. But like you, in the end I could not convince myself that it was the car for me. That’s what it would have taken…lol…A good friend of my has a 992 911. Nice car but the 911 was not ringing my bell in the same way as the F-Type R.

I think you are making a great choice, but I’m very biased at this point ;-o

bobaqfett (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Is OP looking to buy new? I think we'll be OK for warranty related things while Jaguar retools for electric. A local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership's website now directs Authorized Service Center for Jaguar.

I also own a 450 with no regrets, it has more power than I need, lol. TBH the price for an R75 is ridiculously high and would look at another sports car for that kind of money. A Corvette ERAY for example.

Shop around too. I was able to get my 450 for $8K under MSRP through Autonation's website by purchasing an F-Type out of state. I'm in VA and the F-Type was in NY.

bobaqfett (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
Is OP looking to buy new? I think we'll be OK for warranty related things while Jaguar retools for electric. A local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership's website now directs Authorized Service Center for Jaguar.

I also own a 450 with no regrets, it has more power than I need, lol. TBH the price for an R75 is ridiculously high and would look at another sports car for that kind of money. A Corvette ERAY for example.

Shop around too. I was able to get my 450 for $8K under MSRP through Autonation's website by purchasing an F-Type out of state. I'm in VA and the F-Type was in NY.
Not sure why you would say that? I mean, some may really want the “best” most stock high powered and best handling example of an F-type they can get..If they really identify with this car…I’m that guy. It gets expensive, but even at R trim with the best handling, power, and options you are cheaper than some alternatives…Including an E-ray…

Also, if you are one that is looking for a higher spec F-type…Soon as you start laying options onto a P450 it very quickly approaches the price of an R that includes a lot more in the price standard.

To each their own at the end of the day. The F-type, even in the top trim R, is a relative bargain compared to the competition. Save for a base C8, but I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those personally…I’d be more likely to have a P450 than that happening ;-0

There’s a car for everyone. I just find it interesting when people make comments like, “Well when you get to that level of price you might as well buy X over the F-type”…etc…Well maybe, assuming you don’t like an F-type more across the board…

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Not sure why you would say that? I mean, some may really want the “best” most stock high powered and best handling example of an F-type they can get..If they really identify with this car…I’m that guy. It gets expensive, but even at R trim with the best handling, power, and options you are cheaper than some alternatives…Including an E-ray…

Also, if you are one that is looking for a higher spec F-type…Soon as you start laying options onto a P450 it very quickly approaches the price of an R that includes a lot more in the price standard.

To each their own at the end of the day. The F-type, even in the top trim R, is a relative bargain compared to the competition. Save for a base C8, but I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those personally…I’d be more likely to have a P450 than that happening ;-0

There’s a car for everyone. I just find it interesting when people make comments like, “Well when you get to that level of price you might as well buy X over the F-type”…etc…Well maybe, assuming you don’t like an F-type more across the board…
Though I love my 450 F-Type there is no way I could justify the extra $20-30K for the added HP in a 575 unless I had the money to burn for bragging rights. Especially when it comes to the F-Type's tech as its waaay behind the competition for the money.

To each their own as you say tho

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Received 467 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
Though I love my 450 F-Type there is no way I could justify the extra $20-30K for the added HP in a 575 unless I had the money to burn for bragging rights. Especially when it comes to the F-Type's tech as its waaay behind the competition for the money.
This is why a P450 with a VAP Stage 1 tune is the way to go. The tune (and device to write it) will cost you about $1200 and get the car to 605bhp (about 597HP), which is way cheaper than the upcharge from a P450 to an R.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Alternatively, you buy a lightly used R (1-2yrs, 7k miles) for the price of a new 450. It’ll still carry 3-4yrs warranty too. That’s if you love the R after test driving but it’s out of budget. That’s what I did and zero regrets. After owning an R for 5yrs, I can’t imagine having less power. It’s just too much fun!

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson recommended the 6. The big v8 is really intended for off road driving. Kind of dangerous.

Too much.

I like my P-300.

The base 8 would be fine.

When my daughter went to drive the M4 coup they would not let her out of the parking lot with the Comp model without an employee with her. He recommended the step down for a sort of everyday car. What she bought. She likes it.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tomkatb
Jeremy Clarkson recommended the 6. The big v8 is really intended for off road driving. Kind of dangerous.

Too much.

I like my P-300.

The base 8 would be fine.

When my daughter went to drive the M4 coup they would not let her out of the parking lot with the Comp model without an employee with her. He recommended the step down for a sort of everyday car. What she bought. She likes it.
V8 is dangerous if you don’t know how to drive AND don’t have AWD. I’m pretty sure Clarkson drove the RWD V8. I’ve never come close to wiping out my FTR AWD, even with TSC off.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
This is why a P450 with a VAP Stage 1 tune is the way to go. The tune (and device to write it) will cost you about $1200 and get the car to 605bhp (about 597HP), which is way cheaper than the upcharge from a P450 to an R.
It'll also void your warranty, lol.

Originally Posted by ftype_rick
V8 is dangerous if you don’t know how to drive AND don’t have AWD. I’m pretty sure Clarkson drove the RWD V8. I’ve never come close to wiping out my FTR AWD, even with TSC off.
I've experienced a lot of fish tailing with my old IROC-Z Camaro! I cringe when I think back how dangerous I was in my early 20s...

That being said I bought my F-Type for its AWD which should help if I unexpectedly get stuck in poor weather where I live.

Last edited by TangledThorns; Yesterday at 01:29 PM.
bobaqfett (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 425 Posts

First of all, I agree all-around with your comments about Porsche, MB, and Aston. I've owned the first two and never looked back. For beauty and fun factor, I prefer my F-Type to my son's GT3 and Sport Classic (although I could buy a house with them and have money left over for a F-Type). No surprise you like the AM's - Ian Callum had his design hand on both AM and Jaguar.

There's plenty of HP in the 450 and I personally wouldn't feel the urge to VAP it, even though it's a great product. I enjoy the classic fun of a RWD, but with the power of a tuned V8, I'd want AWD. YMMV. If you haven't seen it, check out Clarkson's F-Type review from the Top Gear days. Good fun. I have it permanently loaded in the car. BTW, he suggests in the video that even the V6-S had all the power you need (and that's what he personally bought).

Meanwhile, though, I'm with Rick - look for a used R for the best price/performance. These cars depreciate heavily in the first couple of years, so let someone else pay for the steep part of the curve.

The following 3 users liked this post by uncheel:
bobaqfett (Yesterday), ftype_rick (Yesterday), jcb-memphis (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Key is get one. I prefer awd for weather related reasons and the JLR AWD is very rwd feeling...they nailed it.

On tech, I added a wireless carplay to the car for not a lot of money and for my needs the tech is now just fine.

LED bulbs can be added to the original lights....

VAP tunes, including the TCU one, are great. Otherwise, the tech is enough ....tech ages a car so less is more.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; Yesterday at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Intersted in F-type