F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Involved in a small accident...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Involved in a small accident...

So last night my luck with this car seems to have gotten that much worse, to make a long story short I was in a group of cars and my buddies m4 met the back end of one car and in turn my front bumper met the rear end of a BMW M4. Luckily everyone was okay and no airbags were blown. Looks like he is going to need a new rear bumper, Vorstiener diffuser and some exhaust tips. Ouch. My car seems like its gonna need a new front bumper, grill surround and grill, and maybe a parking sensor. maybe someone here can give me a rough estimate before I take it to the shop tmmr morning. Also Im thinking about maybe just doing the Project 7 grill now that it needs to be replaced anyways. I know about the one from Paramount but I need the car fixed this week, as soon as possible. Anywhere else I can find a good one? anyone selling one? Or a factory grill, or even a factory bumper, any help would be greatly appreciated. Not going the insurance route for sake of rise in premiums and carfax on all the cars.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That bumper can be replaced if you plan on doing the work yourself and not have the insurance do it. The grill surround can be bought OEM on eBay for less than $150

Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jose Torres
That bumper can be replaced if you plan on doing the work yourself and not have the insurance do it. The grill surround can be bought OEM on eBay for less than $150

I haven't been able to find any Grill surrounds/ grills, if you saw one, mind posting a link, Im going to need all 4 pieces I believe, the surround, both upper and lower grills, and the bar. a whole front end with the bumper and grill is around 2500, If I could find just a bumper and grill that would be great.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
I haven't been able to find any Grill surrounds/ grills, if you saw one, mind posting a link, Im going to need all 4 pieces I believe, the surround, both upper and lower grills, and the bar. a whole front end with the bumper and grill is around 2500, If I could find just a bumper and grill that would be great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Jag...cAAOSwEwBdJQOb

Here is the link to the same grill surround I bought. I just repaired my f type from similar damage pm me and I can help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose Torres:
BruceTheQuail (10-13-2019), Burt Gummer (10-13-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

If your headlight is ok you're looking at $3k+ USD when you include labor and paint.

I'm having work done on mine right now for a cracked bumper, damaged surround and front splitter trim. Estimate was north of $7k but included a $3500 LED head lamp.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
If your headlight is ok you're looking at $3k+ USD when you include labor and paint.

I'm having work done on mine right now for a cracked bumper, damaged surround and front splitter trim. Estimate was north of $7k but included a $3500 LED head lamp.
sheesh, any info on where you found the middle grill Piece, I've found the surround, and the lower and upper grill but can't find the crossbar anywhere. So far i've found a full front clip, bumper, grill and surround, and parking sensors for 2495, and I'm very close with a body shop so my guess is 3200 with paint and labor, best case scenario maybe he can fix the bumper and paint in, and order the new grill, I called my dealer and the Project 7 grill is almost 1500 and I need a project 7 Vin.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

All of my stuff was ordered OEM by the shop. Accident wasn't my fault and the car had 3000 miles on it, so it's going through the guy's insurance and a certified body shop. Needs to be OEM perfect.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
All of my stuff was ordered OEM by the shop. Accident wasn't my fault and the car had 3000 miles on it, so it's going through the guy's insurance and a certified body shop. Needs to be OEM perfect.
are you not worried about the hit on the carfax? or is it a lease? that whats stopping me from using insurance, and I don't think diminished value is gonna help out here.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

are you not worried about the hit on the carfax? or is it a lease? that whats stopping me from using insurance, and I don't think diminished value is gonna help out here.
So you plan to fob off the car someday and not tell the buyer the history of the car? Not Nice.

The following 3 users liked this post by RGPV6S:
FType17 (10-15-2019), Lani Kai (10-23-2019), SinF (10-16-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
So you plan to fob off the car someday and not tell the buyer the history of the car? Not Nice.

Regardless If I tell a possible buyer or not, doesn't change the fact that a car with an accident on the carfax is worth 10-15% less then a car without, the amount of cars sold today that have been hit and painted and nothing on the carfax far outweight the cleans ones.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

It is a lease, and believe me, I'm not happy about the accident history. But if I decide to keep the car, I will at least be able to do so knowing that it was cosmetic damage, was repaired to OEM perfect, and by the time I sell it the car wouldn't be worth anywhere close to what I paid for it anyway. What's another 10% at that point?

The following users liked this post:
Gas Cat (10-18-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

sheesh, any info on where you found the middle grill Piece, I've found the surround, and the lower and upper grill but can't find the crossbar anywhere. So far i've found a full front clip, bumper, grill and surround, and parking sensors for 2495, and I'm very close with a body shop so my guess is 3200 with paint and labor, best case scenario maybe he can fix the bumper and paint in, and order the new grill, I called my dealer and the Project 7 grill is almost 1500 and I need a project 7 Vin.
Here’s where you can get it: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2016-...and-components
Item #3 on the diagram. Available in different finishes.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Here’s where you can get it: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2016-...and-components

Uhingd I love you man, Always coming to the rescue, my body guy told me thinks he can fix both the bumper and the bar, only part I've bought is the surround so I guess well see. Our only beef is how jealous you make me about not having three pedals.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:55 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I can’t get over the price difference between grill surrounds. $150.50 for chrome v. $580.00 for black. Black paint has gotten expensive

Old 10-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

my body guy told me thinks he can fix both the bumper and the bar.
This is not how you properly fix this damage. Cracked plastic will never be as strong, and filler doesn't hold well on plastic bumpers. So what is going to happen in couple years is your bumper will start peeling around repair.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
Gas Cat (10-18-2019), Mahjik (10-16-2019), RGPV6S (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So to summarize this thread:

1. OP rear-ended someone
2. OP is looking for a cheapest way to out-of-pocket fix the damage
3. OP wants to keep this from carfax to avoid accident depreciation hit when he sells the car

I can't say I approve of any of it.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
BlkC4t_XK14 (05-05-2021), Gas Cat (10-18-2019), RGPV6S (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF

1. OP rear-ended someone
3. OP wants to keep this from carfax to avoid accident depreciation hit when he sells the car

I don’t think any of us are really in a position to approve or disapprove of his actions. It’s all on him.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

At least he posted here about his two (?) accidents and there are lots of photos of his car so I don't think he'll be able to fob the car off to somebody on this forum at least.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 10-16-2019 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gas Cat (10-18-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM

1. OP rear-ended someone

1- Ya I did **** happens
2- Maybe Unlike some people on this forum But i'm not made out of money, I can guarantee Im the youngest person on this forum and It took a lot of work to get here. The body shop I work with works on many exotics and luxury cars and I trust their decision, especially since he guarantees the work and If I have any issues he will gladly take care of it. Asking people for help and how to find parts a lower price, don't see whats wrong with that.
3- Me telling someone about an accident and it being on Carfax are 2 very different things. First off, I don't want the insurance premiums involved with an accident and claiming insurance. With an accident reported it automatically lowers the value of the car, especially since this car would most likely be traded into a dealer, And if someone does buy this car privately I'll be able to disclose to them with photos and repairs what was done about it, without them worrying about the value of the car being lower when they sell it, if they choose to disclose that, that is on them. I find it hilarious the **** I'm getting when I can walk into my buddies dealership and point a Veyron and a Pagani that have both been hit and repaired to avoid the Carfax... Its a very normal practice.

I wasn't looking for anyones approval I was looking for advice on repairing my car.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 PM

This is not how you properly fix this damage. Cracked plastic will never be as strong, and filler doesn't hold well on plastic bumpers. So what is going to happen in couple years is your bumper will start peeling around repair.
I'm Very picky about paintwork and If I believe the work to be substandard I will have the bumper replaced. It's already been repaired Prior anyway, so I don't really care. the car was before I bought it and the dealer repaired it like that. Also that was not reported on the carfax.

Quick Reply: Involved in a small accident...