F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with differential leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Issue with differential leaking

I again just bought my 2016 R and went for a short drive last night. Now it appears to be leaking from the rear differential plug. The car has under 12,000 on the odometer. Could this just be a loose plug?

Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

A SHORT drive?

Are you certain it is diff oil? Condensation in the exhaust is provided with an escape just back of the differential (the lowest point). And this would be most prevalent on short drives.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Leaky diff seals are a thing with F-Types.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Here's a pic of the V8 exhaust.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:38 AM

Yes it was oil and under the differential plug (which is what I assume is in the pic above-correct?). And I do get the exhaust leak as well which are at the clamp locations. And it was a short drive and around 15 miles total.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Leaky diff seals are a thing with F-Types.
I thought that was more on the rear wheel drive models? I thought by Jaguar going to the AWD they reduced or eliminated the differential issue?

Old 12-06-2020, 10:22 AM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I thought that was more on the rear wheel drive models? I thought by Jaguar going to the AWD they reduced or eliminated the differential issue?
Nope, still an issue. Your differential looks clean to me. However, they tend to leak from the front which is hard to examine without jacking up the car. Jack it up rear on one side (jack stands) and slide under to examine front portion of the differential. I would think that if you had so much oil from the differential that is was getting onto your muffler, your differential would be filthy or dipping with oil. Hopefully it is just some exhaust junk.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:29 PM
scm
Veteran Member

My front right diff was a bit leaky - fixed under warranty.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:20 AM

Well I resolved my overfilled oil issue but after a short drive again last night (6-8) miles she got parked in the garage. This morning I see a small oil spot (size of a nickel) under the rear differential plug. So either the plug isn't torqued enough or the seal is leaking a bit. I have an appointment to drop off at Jag tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:19 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Whatsnext, I had a rear differential leak that had its oil deposited on the differential and muffler. It was the pinion gear seal replaced under warranty at 33,696 miles and they cleaned the muffler. I bought the jag with 30,000 miles. The previous (one) owner drove this jag for three years and had the car serviced by Glen Cove Jaguar. Good luck.
Frank

Last edited by frank barone; 12-07-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Missspelled op
Old 12-07-2020, 08:22 AM

I am hesitant on wanting to take it in but will keep the appointment. I appreciate the input and whatever the issue is I hope this extended warranty I bought covers it and if not, I will see about quickly canceling the warranty if possible.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Definitely take it in and your dealer should know this is a well documented differential issue. Your warranty hopefully will cover the cost as this should not be considered a wear and tear issue. If not open a claim with JLR corporate. I’ve opened a claim on a entirely different repair and JLR sent me a gift certificate to cover repair cost, a non warranty repair. Good luck.
Frank

Old 12-08-2020, 06:40 PM

Took it to Jaguar today and sure enough it is a differential seal leak. Repair cost will be $1425 but I contacted my cousin at the dealer that sold me the car and they are covering the charges. I am very thankful he covered it but literally just got the car and put less than 80 miles on it before realizing the differential was leaking and the oil was overfilled by 2 quarts. They should have the car back to me tomorrow. Looking forward to FINALLY having the car ready to drive. It has spent days at the shop for PPF, ceramic coating and tint and days in the garage figuring out the over filled oil and leaky differential. I hope my experience improves with my first Jaguar. I want to love the car.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Took it to Jaguar today and sure enough it is a differential seal leak. Repair cost will be $1425 but I contacted my cousin at the dealer that sold me the car and they are covering the charges. I am very thankful he covered it but literally just got the car and put less than 80 miles on it before realizing the differential was leaking and the oil was overfilled by 2 quarts. They should have the car back to me tomorrow. Looking forward to FINALLY having the car ready to drive. It has spent days at the shop for PPF, ceramic coating and tint and days in the garage figuring out the over filled oil and leaky differential. I hope my experience improves with my first Jaguar. I want to love the car.
I'm a new owner and new to the forum as well. By no means am I a Jag mechanic, but do know the right end of a wrench. I have a hard time believing the diff was overfilled by 2 quarts for multiple reasons. First is where did the extra oil come from on an under 12K mile car? 2nd is 2 "extra" quarts seems like an awful lot for such a small diff.
But I have seen elsewhere that the cause of the leak is usually a clogged breather on the top of the diff and it makes sense. Clogged breather results in high pressure in the diff so the oils' next best place to expand is thru the seals. Breather is a small yellow cap on top of diff that you can see from under the passenger side (RHD). Pop it off, clean and replace. But I would recommend hearing the same problem / solution from others that have experienced this as well.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RAWONE
I'm a new owner and new to the forum as well. By no means am I a Jag mechanic, but do know the right end of a wrench. I have a hard time believing the diff was overfilled by 2 quarts for multiple reasons. First is where did the extra oil come from on an under 12K mile car? 2nd is 2 "extra" quarts seems like an awful lot for such a small diff.
But I have seen elsewhere that the cause of the leak is usually a clogged breather on the top of the diff and it makes sense. Clogged breather results in high pressure in the diff so the oils' next best place to expand is thru the seals. Breather is a small yellow cap on top of diff that you can see from under the passenger side (RHD). Pop it off, clean and replace. But I would recommend hearing the same problem / solution from others that have experienced this as well.

2 separate issues. The differential is leaking oil-seal issue. The engine oil was overfilled by more than 2 quarts. The engine oil I extracted to correct the issue. The car is at the dealer now getting the rear differential fixed.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:17 AM
scm
Veteran Member

The confusion was because you typed "the differential was leaking and the oil was overfilled by 2 quarts" If you'd said "engine oil" it'd have been clear (there's oil in the diff, too).

Carbuff2 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Well car is back after only a day in the shop getting the differential repaired. Cost was thankfully zero since the mfg warranty just ended less than 10 days ago. Hoping to now get some trouble free driving under my belt with this beast.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well car is back after only a day in the shop getting the differential repaired. Cost was thankfully zero since the mfg warranty just ended less than 10 days ago. Hoping to now get some trouble free driving under my belt with this beast.
It would be interesting if you could inspect that breather and see it was cleaned.

JacksonvilleJag (12-11-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RAWONE
It would be interesting if you could inspect that breather and see it was cleaned.
I will get under the car this week and take a look.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:53 PM

Well according to the dealer the tech said the breather valve was clean.

Quick Reply: Issue with differential leaking