Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue - Lifting off throttle quickly results in jerk

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Issue - Lifting off throttle quickly results in jerk

All,
When I am driving on the highway and someone cuts in front of me or cuts me off and I quickly lift off the throttle to then apply the brakes, I feel a sudden jerk or shutter feeling coming through the whole car. It feels like a potential motor mount or transmission mount issue. Has anyone else felt this before and had it resolved or diagnosed it? I am taking the car to the dealer soon for a few other issues that are bugging me, and wanted to see if anyone had a TSB on what I am feeling. To be clear, the jerk feeling does not happen when getting back on throttle, but only when I quickly lift off the gas.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
All,
When I am driving on the highway and someone cuts in front of me or cuts me off and I quickly lift off the throttle to then apply the brakes, I feel a sudden jerk or shutter feeling coming through the whole car. It feels like a potential motor mount or transmission mount issue. Has anyone else felt this before and had it resolved or diagnosed it? I am taking the car to the dealer soon for a few other issues that are bugging me, and wanted to see if anyone had a TSB on what I am feeling. To be clear, the jerk feeling does not happen when getting back on throttle, but only when I quickly lift off the gas.
mine has excessive lash in the drivetrain as well. According to Jag: " that's normal ". With the MT it occurs in both directions .

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-21-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
To be clear, the jerk feeling does not happen when getting back on throttle, but only when I quickly lift off the gas.
Odd. I feel more like a jerk when I'm mashing the throttle down, especially with the loud button on. <shrug>

Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I get that one too. But this is a shutter through the driveline in almost an emergency lift off situation.