F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's About To Happen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Talking It's About To Happen!!!

FINALLY!!! It's about to happen and all signs point to me picking up my 2016 F Type R Coupe within the next few weeks (would be sooner if not for the lasting effects of Blizzard Jonas ).

It's pretty much a stripper:
-Ultimate Black over Jet with Red
-Gyrodyne Dark Grey--a must IMO (didn't really like any of the other Type R wheel design options, although I wished they were forged like the Blade or Rotor)
-Black Pack

I know there is another Thread going around about everyone recommending the Vision Pack, and I agree, but from my relentless search for this car and a deal, I'm happy with the outcome.

I'm so excited! However, I'm a bit lukewarm about letting go of my M4 after only close to 2yrs of ownership and after having done European Delivery back in June 2014 (my 2nd BMW ED). I'm a die hard BMW Fanboy, but this F Type R Coupe stirs my soul!!!

A few interim questions:
--Is the Ultimate Black a soft paint? I have a love-hate relationship with black exteriors...the maintenance, swirls, gets dirty the second you drive it after a wash, but when clean, it looks so damn good. I'm OCD with my exterior paint, regardless of color, but I'm nervous the paint may swirl too easily.

--Up until recently, I would not have been nervous about this winter, given how mild and dry it has been. And although the F Type will not be my daily driver, it will be a "semi-daily driver." So I'm in need of a dedicated winter wheel (I may try and avoid getting a setup this season by not driving the car in bad conditions, but I will definitely need it next season). Tire Rack has nothing, doesn't even have recommended wheels. I plan to use Conti DWS as I currently do with my M4 (winter needs are mostly cold/wet conditions, with limit to no snow dustings). What can you folks recommend? I need the specific specs as well, and would prefer an offset that is somewhat visually pleasing.

--Since I'm getting the car out of state, and plan to get it serviced locally, does Jaguar establish a service loaner criteria as per their updated Elite Coverage or are loaner cars dealer-specific?

--Lastly, should I be worried about that other Thread going around about the exhaust becoming muted after dealer services/software updates? I love the entire package of the car, but the exterior and sound speak to me

Thanks!

Last edited by Kief; 01-26-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Welcome!

If you've read anything on these forums, the number one thing I can recommend for you is.... XPEL Ultimate... ASAP!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't have any answers to your questions, so I'll just say congrats! You are going to love it. Would love to hear more about your experiences with the M4 also. That was one of the vehicles I considered before deciding on the F-Type and even though I know I made the right choice for me, I'm interested in what brought you to the same conclusion.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Would love to hear more about your experiences with the M4 also. That was one of the vehicles I considered before deciding on the F-Type and even though I know I made the right choice for me, I'm interested in what brought you to the same conclusion.
I love my M4, but I get bored quickly with my BMWs. And now that I have exhausted pretty much the entire BMW lineup, I wanted to try something different. I know I will be personally back to BMW (my wife currently has a X5 (F15) with M Performance Exhaust (MPE) and M Performance Power Kit (MPPK)), but they all are just beginning to merge together. Don't get me wrong, the M4 is a phenomenal machine, and I'm sure I will miss several attributes, but after 11 straight BMWs since 2003, I'm yearning for a change (I think???--Don't let me down Jag!)

Last edited by Kief; 01-26-2016 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Welcome!

If you've read anything on these forums, the number one thing I can recommend for you is.... XPEL Ultimate... ASAP!
If I would be doing it again, I' probably do the entire front end, the side skirts, and the rear rocker panels.
So what specifically did you actually get wrapped?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
So what specifically did you actually get wrapped?

I got the entire front end and mirrors wrapped. If I'd do it again, I'd also get the side skirts wrapped (they collect dirt and debris) and probably the rear rocker panels too. (Jaguar has some "helicopter tape" there from the factory, but there needs to be a bit more coverage, IMO)

Old 01-26-2016, 12:34 PM

I got the entire front end and mirrors wrapped. If I'd do it again, I'd also get the side skirts wrapped (they collect dirt and debris) and probably the rear rocker panels too. (Jaguar has some "helicopter tape" there from the factory, but there needs to be a bit more coverage, IMO)
Just the "face" of the front end or any part the hood as well?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge you for just those areas?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Just the "face" of the front end or any part the hood as well?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge you for just those areas?
The entire front end up to the doors. Hood, Front, Mirrors, Fenders... all of it.

I can't give you an honest quote. I paid MSRP for the car, but got a few things thrown in and discounts on others - Tire / wheel warranty, Window Tint, XPEL wrap... (I ordered the car before 2016 pricing was available)

Last edited by TXJagR; 01-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:39 PM

The entire front end up the the doors. Hood, Front, Mirrors, Fenders... all of it.

I can't give you an honest quote. I paid MSRP for the car, but got a few things thrown in and discounts on others - Tire / wheel warranty, Window Tint, XPEL wrap... (I ordered the car before 2016 pricing was available)
Gotcha.

I've worked with these local guys in the past for tint. Looks like I'll be paying them a visit:
Paint-Protection

Old 01-26-2016, 12:40 PM

Thing is, I never got my M4 wrapped...What's happening here???

Old 01-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thing is, I never got my M4 wrapped...What's happening here???

I've never had any of my previous cars wrapped either. Then again, I never owned a $100k car before, and I know that I DRIVE my cars. After seeing all the chips in the front end and on the hood of my previous cars, I decided a little extra protection would be worth it.

There is no NEED to wrap the car, but would you prefer a pristine paint job for many, many miles and possibly years to come versus chips? Also, it's much easier to clean, keeps it's shine longer without extra waxing / polishing, and a wrap is much less than a paint job, AND it adds extra protection. Nothing like spending money for a new paint job only to get a rock chip driving it home. Not going to happen with an XPEL wrap...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 PM

I've never had any of my previous cars wrapped either. Then again, I never owned a $100k car before, and I know that I DRIVE my cars. After seeing all the chips in the front end and on the hood of my previous cars, I decided a little extra protection would be worth it.

There is no NEED to wrap the car, but would you prefer a pristine paint job for many, many miles and possibly years to come versus chips? Also, it's much easier to clean, keeps it's shine longer without extra waxing / polishing, and a wrap is much less than a paint job, AND it adds extra protection. Nothing like spending money for a new paint job only to get a rock chip driving it home. Not going to happen with an XPEL wrap...
I know I don't have to get it wrapped, and I completely agree with what you note above.

Pay me now or pay me later...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I need to visit the local xpel place here. The place I went to that had SunTek paint protection films said that they can't do a wrap without having a seam on the hood.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I need to visit the local xpel place here. The place I went to that had SunTek paint protection films said that they can't do a wrap without having a seam on the hood.
That's crap. As others have mentioned, including myself, they can. My whole hood was done in one piece.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Even with xpel, you have to find a good installer that knows how to stretch the film the two extra inches to cover the entire hood.