F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its about the spare, or the lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Its about the spare, or the lack thereof

I am in the process of acquiring a CPO F-Type convertible. My automobiles have always had a temporary spare or a full size spare (substituted for the temporary spare) and I am concerned about the can of goo and the compressor and the wisdom of adding a temporary spare at the cost of all the cargo space. If I lived in Connecticut I wouldn't care so much. But I live in the Southwestern United Staes where we have long, long stretches of road without services and what are euphemistically called "primitive roads" in this state (AZ). What has been people's real world experience with either the goo or the donut. Has anyone ever thought about a trunk rack a la Route 66 (I realize that dates me) to carry additional cargo. I hate to be limited to driving around town. Thanks

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I pulled the spare out and bought my own goo, compressor and plug kit. Unless it's catastrophic, one of the three (or a combo) should get you to the next stop.

What made up my mind was the "would you leave your wheel on the side of the road?"

A trunk rack reminds me of a VW bug or Miata for some reason. Plus, it's like putting granny panties on a super model.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
Plus, it's like putting granny panties on a super model.
LOL!!! So funny but so true! LOL!!!

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I think your side of the country's lack of major pot holes compared to the norther states more than makes up for the risk of being stranded for an hour or two on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,203 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I too pulled the space-saver spare out of the boot (trunk), and added a puncture/hole plug repair kit to the goo kit and compressor that already came with the car. All this gear plus the original scissor jack, a proper wheel brace and some other tools fit nicely in the rectangular "box" under the floor cover.
Removing the space-saver spare has freed up a lot of room in the boot/trunk, before it was almost useless.
Of course this is for a coupe, dunno if it would work the same on a vert.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the vert. We only get the can of goo and the compressor. In another post, a user advised that he uses that compressor for air pressure maintenance on his car. In otherwords - it gets used a lot, so we at least have some comfort in knowing that the compressor works. I have added a plug kit to my trunk for added security and piece of mind. This way, in theory, if I get a nail or something, I can plug it and then pump it up with the compressor. Goop is my last resort move as (from what I have heard) trashes the tire and rim.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Spare makes no sense unless you're ready to part with a $1000 wheel. Can't fit in the car once you take it off.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

The full size wheel & tyre, including the rear 295/30R20, definitely fits in the rear of the coupe with the hatch shut, I know because I have done it. Although it does require removing the privacy cover, so if you have a blowout and fit the space-saver you have a choice of which thing to leave behind on the side of the road, the wheel/tyre combo or the privacy cover! Dunno about the vert though.

Edit - my memory failed me again, I now recall that the full size wheel and tyre combo fitted in the hatch WITH the privacy cover intact, and the only problem was that the cover fouled a little on the tyre such that the front edge was pushed up out of it mounting slots.

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-28-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Thank you.
1. I understand the goo will render the tire useless, but I have not heard that it will do the same to the rim. That is hard to believe.
2. I have been told a donut will fit in the vert, but will take up all the room in the boot.
3. If you put the donut on the car, the regular wheel will fit in the boot, but you cannot close the lid and so you need a bungee cord. I thought maybe with a pad you could lash it on top of the boot.
4. I thought there might be a demountable rack for sometimes use when you need extra carrying capacity.
5. In a long number of years of driving, I have only been stranded twice because of a tire. But its not any fun.
6. AAA will flatbed me for 100 miles, and for 200 miles if I upgrade my membership.
7. The spare and the donut seem to be going away for a lot of marques.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Consider when last you had a flat/blowout.
When I piloted clapped out, 1060's VW's with old mostly bald tires, the frequency greatly exceed my recent history...I think one or two drywall screws in 10s of thousands of miles...and then air loss only when they were unscrewed.
I've had more trouble with a spare with no air than a tire with a hole too large for a plug and air.
That said...if it makes you anxious you have to do something to keep calm. My vote is the compressor + goo + plug kit....and check your air pressures regularly.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm a vert. I have the Summer 142 trunk rack, but it was relatively harder to put on than I expected, and hadn't left myself enough time to fiddle with it prior to a road trip. Good news was 4200 miles over 3 weeks and everything fit in the trunk for both my wife and I... and it wasn't just national parks, we hit a bunch of luxury resorts, as well. We fit all types of treats! The interior cab has unconventional but endless ways to store stuff.

I only offer this info as I did all the research, and that's the single available rack that looks REALLY good.

If I ever do install it, I will let you know. I thought it could be retro-cute, but yeah.... it's a different look.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The part about the goop wrecking the tire shouldn't be true.

There are inflate/goop cans that not only don't damage the tire or make them unusable, but they are even TPMS safe.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Uncle Fish, thanks for the post. We are former long time residents of Saus and have only positive memories of Saus and Marin Jag. The rack looks just right.

Uncle Fishbits (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The option of run flat tyres would have made more sense.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks, I was going to ask about this. I see the spare as an option on the configuator and was wondering if anyone had one? What is it like? Does it take up most of the room (in the coupe?) Is it retrofit-able? The other car I was considering (Q50 hybrid) has run-flats. Good peace of mind but not great for any sort of sporty driving.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Thanks, I was going to ask about this. I see the spare as an option on the configuator and was wondering if anyone had one? What is it like? Does it take up most of the room (in the coupe?) Is it retrofit-able? The other car I was considering (Q50 hybrid) has run-flats. Good peace of mind but not great for any sort of sporty driving.
My coupe came with the space-saver spare.
It was bolted down onto the hatch floor cover.
It took up most of the room in the boot/trunk, so it was one of the first things I changed.
I've also read reviews of some coupes with a full sized spare (I'm guessing 19" not 20"), and according to those reviews it takes up 90% of the room. I know the stock 20" takes up 95% of the usable room.
The space-saver is probably retrofit-able (but why would you ever want to?), but you need a different boot/trunk floor cover, the one with a hole smack in the middle for the mounting bolt (or else make a hole yourself in the existing cover), and you might also need the bracket underneath that it screws into, I don't know if this bracket is standard on NA F-Type coupes or not.
Also, I agree that run-flats would not be a great idea on an F-Type, IMHO they would compromise the grip/handling too much, they would make an already firm ride too harsh, and even a simple nail/screw puncture means scrap that tyre and buy a new one.

Misujerr (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

When I was looking at BMWs with run flats, I thought a punctured run flat was only good for about 50 miles of driving?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
The option of run flat tyres would have made more sense.
Not for a high performance car.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
When I was looking at BMWs with run flats, I thought a punctured run flat was only good for about 50 miles of driving?
True: 50 miles at 50 mph. They can do more than that, but that's all the manufacturers will certify.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Outside of offroad or construction site screws/nails in my truck (2 flats), I don't recall a single flat tire in the last 20 years. ....the compressor/slime should get you out of 90% of the flats in the unlikely event that you do get one......and there is your cell phone for the very small likelihood that you a) get a flat that b) the factory kit can't repair.

Honestly, I think a full size or temporary spare in an F type is a complete waste of time and space.

Dave