Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its about the spare, or the lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
The dealer is supposed to discard the rear (black) tow hook, but a number of us received it anyway.
Yep, I've read this before, and also that the rear tow hook should not be used and only the front tow hook should be used.
So I just checked my F-Type, and I only have one tow hook - the black one!!!!
The Owner's Manual says, quote: "The front towing eye is located in the luggage compartment, along the right side of the vehicle's battery", but I checked and nada, zip, zilch, I definitely do not have the front ("silver") tow hook.
On my XFR I have only the (silver) front tow hook and not the (black) rear one.
So what gives?
Also, why is it wrong to use the rear tow hook?
I would have thought that on a rear wheel drive car, especially one with an LSD, it was best to tow from the rear with the rear wheels off the ground.
Or is it best to tow from the front because towing from the rear will cause problems with dragging front tyres due to the steering being locked?
Confuzzled!!!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,401 Posts

The rear attachment point may not have been designed for towing, just for lashing the car down during transport. Just a guess.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, I've read this before, and also that the rear tow hook should not be used and only the front tow hook should be used.
So I just checked my F-Type, and I only have one tow hook - the black one!!!!
The Owner's Manual says, quote: "The front towing eye is located in the luggage compartment, along the right side of the vehicle's battery", but I checked and nada, zip, zilch, I definitely do not have the front ("silver") tow hook.
On my XFR I have only the (silver) front tow hook and not the (black) rear one.
So what gives?
Also, why is it wrong to use the rear tow hook?
I would have thought that on a rear wheel drive car, especially one with an LSD, it was best to tow from the rear with the rear wheels off the ground.
Or is it best to tow from the front because towing from the rear will cause problems with dragging front tyres due to the steering being locked?
Confuzzled!!!
These cars should be flat towed. The front hook should only be used to winch it onto the truck.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I know this thread was originally about spares but since it has brought up the topic of tow hooks I have a question. On my 2016 R the tow hook that threads into the front port does not thread into the rear port. The thread opening in the rear is a smaller diameter. Are they all this way?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I know this thread was originally about spares but since it has brought up the topic of tow hooks I have a question. On my 2016 R the tow hook that threads into the front port does not thread into the rear port. The thread opening in the rear is a smaller diameter. Are they all this way?
Yes, they are all that way, so you can't use the wrong hook in the wrong hole. As explained elsewhere the smaller black rear tow hook is not meant to be used and the dealership is supposed to remove it from the car as part of the pre-delivery service, but many forget to do this. Which is why I am mystified that my car came with only the small black one!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yes, they are all that way, so you can't use the wrong hook in the wrong hole. As explained elsewhere the smaller black rear tow hook is not meant to be used and the dealership is supposed to remove it from the car as part of the pre-delivery service, but many forget to do this. Which is why I am mystified that my car came with only the small black one!
Mine came with the larger one only. I have an extra for the front if you need one. PM me and we'll work it out.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Mine came with the larger one only. I have an extra for the front if you need one. PM me and we'll work it out.
Thanks mate.
Just out of curiosity I tried the XFR front tow hook on the F-Type, and it fits perfectly! So for now I have moved it over to the F-Type, and no need to take you up on your offer. Anyway, there is a seller in Lithuania of all places advertising an XF front tow hook on eBay for a fairly cheap price, including postage probably less than what it would cost in postage for your spare one.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Very minor piece of information. I was at the MB dealer today and learned the E 350 Wagon (and I presume other 2017 MBs) come with run flats. However the AMG models come with temporary spares since there are no high performance run flats.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:32 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Jaguar F-Type Coupe spare tire
At the dealer, deciding between the Convertible and the Coupe the salesman takes my wife around the back, opens the boots and says "Missus Simon, check this out". My wife sees the small boot on the Convertible and exclaims "you have to buy the coupe" so I did. I ordered the spare and she was not happy, "what happened to the trunk?" I told her that was "demo mode" and this was "real world."
We've taken 1- week road trips with the cover removed and the spare in place without a problem and it saves $ cutting down the souvenirs you can fit.

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
JagAlb (05-21-2017), Misujerr (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

In the old days, you found out you had a flat when it started thumping while driving or when you found it flat when returning to your car. Now, you get a heads up from the pressure sensors so you can inflate it before it's totally flat and drive to a service station.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Info and related query...............

Just purchased 4 Michelin Sport 4S from Costco. Their "Tire Care Recommendations" on the reverse of the invoice says " Fix-a-flat" products should not be used. These products void some manufacturer warranties. Costco will not perform tire repairs on tires where Fix-a-flat has been used."

Drat: fix-a-flat appears to void the Costco "Road Hazard Failure" warranty - and likely even Jag branded gooo falls into this category. Is it that they don't want to "mess" with gooey repairs, or is there a real technical reason for this? What happens if we use a plug on the road? Will/should a tire shop replace it with a permanent plug?

Michelin does not have a road hazard failure warranty, so that's not an issue.

Desert Hiker

Last edited by Desert Hiker; 05-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

It's the former. ....again, I wouldn't worry about flats, particularly on a car that (in my case) never sees bad roads. I can't recall the last flat I've gotten in the past 35 yrs

funny thing is that I'm also a member on several dual sport motorcycle forums where guys are trying to switch from tubed tires to tubeless so they can use plugs and goop......the difference is that when you are 100 miles from civilization and out of cell range, you need to have a system to fix flats. Since I don't use the Jag to hunt out remote fishing lakes, I'm not going to worrry about getting a flat tire and if I do, I'd guess that the goop Jag supplies will fix it most of the time. .....If I was really worried, I'd carry a plug kit too.....but there is no way I'd bother with a spare.

Dave

Old 05-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Dave, I don't think the quality of the road is the determining factor in the desirability of a spare. I had a tire disintegrate/separate on I-5 between SF and LA. As fine a road as exists in the US, and another time I hit something on the road that put a hole the size of a silver dollar while on I-10 outside Van Horn TX.

I would never undertake a cross country trip in my F because I only have the goo and the compressor, If I had a temporary spare and some way to hold onto the full size wheel I might. There are just too many long, long stretches in the American West without any services. West Texas might as well be the back side of the moon.

Last edited by Suaro; 05-21-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yep; we all have our own "risk assessment formula"......for me, the possibility of a flat is remote and having one that is unable to be fixed with a plug or the goo is 10x more remote than that.......so low on my list of worries as to be negligeable YMMV

Dave

Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Agreed. We all have our own assessment formula and data base not to mention risk tolerance. But let's say you are 20 miles outside Van Horn TX and 500 miles from home with an unrepairable flat. First you need to get a flat bed to come get you. From my experience that's three hours (and 70 miles distant), then you need a motel and a rental car because it's going to take two or three days to get a Michelin SS 275/35-19 to you from LA or Dallas. In my case I was driving a Volvo VR and had installed a full size spare and proceeded home.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,660 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Agreed. We all have our own assessment formula and data base not to mention risk tolerance. But let's say you are 20 miles outside Van Horn TX and 500 miles from home with an unrepairable flat. First you need to get a flat bed to come get you. From my experience that's three hours (and 70 miles distant), then you need a motel and a rental car because it's going to take two or three days to get a Michelin SS 275/35-19 to you from LA or Dallas. In my case I was driving a Volvo VR and had installed a full size spare and proceeded home.
Or you buy just any old 19 in General Tire from Bubba's Corner Gas & Liquors and proceed to drive home like a sane person. A lot cheaper than hanging around for a few days, or even owning a full size spare.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (05-22-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Tempting to buy "any old 19" but wouldn't it have to be fat (low profile) to fit the rim?
I'm sure it would throw all the sensors fits with a different diameter at the tread, still if it get's you home, I'd consider fitting a "throw away" tire to get me home.

Could some of our tire experts weigh in on what sizes of 19" (or 20" for those with 20" rims) would work -- or at least establish boundaries on what works and what doesn't.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

To play the devil's advocate; there are 1000 other things that could go wrong with your car that would require the same process.....and there are some that are much more likely than an unrepairable flat IMO. Sure it could happen (and apparently has for you at least once) but you could also have a computer malfunction, sensor issue or a hundred other things......If you REALLY want to be able to stack the deck in favor of you making it through a remote area, I'd suggest a very simple vehicle (maybe a 1970's Jeep CJ) with a couple of spare tires, tools, spare parts, trail jacks, a compressor, etc. as well as the mechanical knowledge to fix the majority of problems. .....the offroad guys do it.....mostly because help isn't a phone call away. ;-)

I have a couple of dual sport bikes that I ride offroad. They are simple bikes that I can easily repair almost any issue. On a remote ride, I carry spare tubes, air pump, patch kit, clutch cable, tire irons, wire, fuses, tape, mechanics wire, spare fasteners, spare bulbs, extra master link, a tool kit and more.......I know that if I have a problem or failure that I need to be able to fix it in order to get home.

The F type? as I said; flat repair goop, plug kit, compressor, cell phone and credit cards seem appropriate to me.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 AM

About "any old 19" tolerance, I had a new car delivered to me by the dealer with three 17s and one 18 and I didn't notice anything until I happened to read the sidewall after about 500 miles.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

About "any old 19" tolerance, I had a new car delivered to me by the dealer with three 17s and one 18 and I didn't notice anything until I happened to read the sidewall after about 500 miles.
My only concern would be if you put one on the rear and had LSD.....though I suppose you could swap a factory front tire onto the back and put the "odd tire" on the front to get you to where you needed to go.

Dave