F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's a little late, but...how tall is the tallest owner of an F-Type on the forum?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021 | 09:21 AM

When I took delivery on my car in May, the dealer had it sitting inside the showroom like it was waiting for me. I had requested that they remove all the shipping wrappers but not apply any kind of wax. I did a walk-around looking very carefully at all the panel gaps and for any imperfections inside or out. The car was perfect. I also checked the tire pressure as I had to make a 50 mile drive over mountain roads to get home and the pressure was correct. A good job was done by the chaps at Castle Bromwich and also by my dealer.

One thing I did notice when doing the first hand wash was what at first looked like a tiny crack at the top of the windshield on the inside, running parallel with the roofline. It turned out to be glue, I assume from sealing the windshield or maybe installing the headliner ? I ended up using a tiny piece of white Scotchbrite pad dipped in rubbing alcohol and very gently rubbed and then wiped with an MF towel until it was gone. There is a bit of glue also on the area near the mirror mount but you can't see it when driving and it is on the dot matrix portion so I am afraid to try and remove it with the same method. You can only see it from the outside and at the right angle and lighting so I am not going to worry about it.

Old 09-09-2021 | 10:03 AM

I'm 6' 1" and 185 and have my 2nd F-Type convertible (a 2020; first one was a 2017 which I preferred, but that's for another story). When I first sat in an F-Type, I did feel the cabin was tight (especially for driver's right knee). Over the years, I've mastered the art of slouching and now find a cozy, comforting environment a delight!! However... my wife finds the car too low and small and much preferred our beloved XKs (a 2007 with adaptive cruise control- no longer available and a 2011). So, I am on the prowl for a 2015 XK convertible, maybe an XKR-S. Anyone know much about it?

Old 09-09-2021 | 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by KalamazooJag
Good afternoon All,

My '22 F-Type R (coupe) arrived in the Port of Baltimore (USA) today at 12:01am. Been waiting 5 months to be able to say that. Still counting on another 2-3 weeks before it will arrive at my local dealer. I sat in a 2020 F-Type and drove, very briefly, a '16 a few years ago. I am embarassed to say...I may have willfully disregarded "cabin space" in favor of, "I LOVE THIS CAR". Here's my appeal: All you F-Type owners...How tall are you? (Feet and inches please...I don't think this whole Metric thing will last ) I am 6'2"--195lbs. But, due to 3 generations of male pattern balding in my lineage, I have no hair so I won't be worried about the extra inch or so (I'm not from Texas...so we're not talking 4 inches) of hair hitting the headliner. In my brief time behind the wheel, I recall that I didn't have "tons of room" in the cockpit, but I didn't feel abnormally closed in either. Looking for "real world" experiences with height and comfort in F-Type. Either way, I will be happy to slouch, but curious about experiences. Thanks ALL!
the F-type door opening and interior space was one of the reasons i bought the 20016 F-TypeS . I work at a luxury car collision shop and have the opportunity to sit in everything and F-Type was the only one i could get inot and out without opening the door and rolling out instead of climbing out . 6' 220lbs

Old 09-10-2021 | 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

top edit: 6'9" wins, looking back. I'd say at 6'6" my head has never bumped the top of my vert with it closed. I *think* I could fit a racing helmet without hitting the roof. Top down, I am confident the broomstick test would show I'm safe. If you're looking at a manual, your long arms will completely eat up the armrest from any guest lucky enough to be with you. Also, the cup holders in the manual transmission are the worst design mistake in car history, but I get it.

Also, when buying my car, sometime in 2014 or 2015, i saw a car dealer on youtube demonstrate a 6'7" man getting into the F-Type, and that video sort of finalized my sale, in my head. I have not been able to find that video, and it kills me. I found the one at the bottom of the post w/ a 6'6" guy, and it's weird. It works out, even though he doesn't move the seat controls at all. But my knee on the right doesn't really have that problem, and I wonder if it's a wider / girthier torso, or longer legs. But I fit like an astronaut in a perfectly laid out cockpit.

-----

45, 6'6", 230 lbs. I'd say I'm proportionate, but my legs are likely longer than my torso.

I've driven a few 4000 mile, 2000 mile, 2500 mile road trips with 8 hour, 10 hour, 12 hour, and a massive error... an 18 hour day with 16 hours on the road (long story, it won't happen again).

I've back issues / problems, and I'm really active so I can cramp up something fierce (pickle juice is no joke).

I've had zero issues on long road trips in this car. ZERO. I've had more anxiety about "what if" than any real problems. I've had more issues than packing that silly trunk than cockpit fit issues. Also, it's surprising how much knick knack space there is for storing stuff for long trips, outside of the trunk (like rear of seats).

Not sure I'm the tallest, but I'm probably pretty close. I ordered my car, and the moment it arrived I was like "I won't be able to drive this!!!". I'd driven an AT, but the manual felt immediately different... and then I calmed down. Seat adjustment back and low, no recline... I've more than enough room. I've also noted that the pedals have a wild amount of space behind them, and you can sort of stretch your legs beyond the pedals if need be (safely).

edit: I will say, I hope you like squats. I'd say getting out is never an issue, but depending on the day and how the world has beat me up and down, the squat into the car can be an athletic experience. Definitely won't be doing one leg in before the other, and I will say there's some times transitioning in and out my leg sorta finds a way to get "stuck" for a second, but until writing this I'd never thought of it as an issue.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 09-10-2021 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
schuss (09-13-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
top edit: 6'9" wins, looking back. I'd say at 6'6" my head has never bumped the top of my vert with it closed. I *think* I could fit a racing helmet without hitting the roof. Top down, I am confident the broomstick test would show I'm safe. If you're looking at a manual, your long arms will completely eat up the armrest from any guest lucky enough to be with you. Also, the cup holders in the manual transmission are the worst design mistake in car history, but I get it.

Also, when buying my car, sometime in 2014 or 2015, i saw a car dealer on youtube demonstrate a 6'7" man getting into the F-Type, and that video sort of finalized my sale, in my head. I have not been able to find that video, and it kills me. I found the one at the bottom of the post w/ a 6'6" guy, and it's weird. It works out, even though he doesn't move the seat controls at all. But my knee on the right doesn't really have that problem, and I wonder if it's a wider / girthier torso, or longer legs. But I fit like an astronaut in a perfectly laid out cockpit.

-----

45, 6'6", 230 lbs. I'd say I'm proportionate, but my legs are likely longer than my torso.

I've driven a few 4000 mile, 2000 mile, 2500 mile road trips with 8 hour, 10 hour, 12 hour, and a massive error... an 18 hour day with 16 hours on the road (long story, it won't happen again).

I've back issues / problems, and I'm really active so I can cramp up something fierce (pickle juice is no joke).

I've had zero issues on long road trips in this car. ZERO. I've had more anxiety about "what if" than any real problems. I've had more issues than packing that silly trunk than cockpit fit issues. Also, it's surprising how much knick knack space there is for storing stuff for long trips, outside of the trunk (like rear of seats).

Not sure I'm the tallest, but I'm probably pretty close. I ordered my car, and the moment it arrived I was like "I won't be able to drive this!!!". I'd driven an AT, but the manual felt immediately different... and then I calmed down. Seat adjustment back and low, no recline... I've more than enough room. I've also noted that the pedals have a wild amount of space behind them, and you can sort of stretch your legs beyond the pedals if need be (safely).

edit: I will say, I hope you like squats. I'd say getting out is never an issue, but depending on the day and how the world has beat me up and down, the squat into the car can be an athletic experience. Definitely won't be doing one leg in before the other, and I will say there's some times transitioning in and out my leg sorta finds a way to get "stuck" for a second, but until writing this I'd never thought of it as an issue.
I really wish there was a pedal adjustment like you can get with Vipers... All that space is a waste! I dont need like 8" travel on the gas pedal dangit... Especially in Dynamic mode when you get 80% of the throttle with 20% of the pedal...

I saw that exact same video when I was researching this, and that dude didnt put 2 seconds into moving the seat. I found a local guy willing to let me sit in and thats what sold me. I have about 2" from the glass roof to the top of my head, but again thats all things for me so all that considered its really not bad. In my BMW E90 I would be looking out the back windows when merging...

Getting in an out is definitely the squat life. And back issues are in my life as well, still trying to figure out how to crack my back while driving... just takes finess.

Old 09-13-2021 | 09:40 AM
|

Thank you Uncle Fishbits! Truly appreciate the detail and, even with back issues, you have made some very long trips in your F-Type. Have been wondering about how tolerable a full day of driving will be. Sure love the massaging seats in my XJL. My car arrives this Saturday so, per your instructions, I am adding a new "squat regimen" to my workouts in preparation.

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2021 | 09:42 AM

6'4" and roof height is not an issue with the top up. With the top down, headroom is infinite

I will warn you that the head support bolster on the seat is not designed with helmets in mind. The one time I drove mine with a helmet it forces my head forward in an uncomfortable way. My 2014 seats might be different than yours, hopefully they fixed that. Very comfortable seat for 8-10 hours a day of road rally driving though, without a helmet.

Old 09-15-2021 | 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schuss
6'4" and roof height is not an issue with the top up. With the top down, headroom is infinite

I will warn you that the head support bolster on the seat is not designed with helmets in mind. The one time I drove mine with a helmet it forces my head forward in an uncomfortable way. My 2014 seats might be different than yours, hopefully they fixed that. Very comfortable seat for 8-10 hours a day of road rally driving though, without a helmet.
til you hit Neptune of the Rhythm of The Spheres!!! =)

Old 09-16-2021 | 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by schuss

Absolutely agree. Took mine round Goodwood, and found the position my head was forced into with a helmet on made driving difficult. I have the "performance" seats.

Old 12-11-2021 | 11:23 PM
BJT

I am 6'7", #214 and fit no problem. Key is getting a 2018 or later model with the performance or sport seats. I tried many years and variations and found this to be the case.
I also found the R's have slightly less legroom to the dash than the rest of the models, thus why I got the R-dynamic which was the highest hp variant I could get and fit well.
Before 2018 the seats were much thicker, and the 2018+ suede seats are thicker than the performance or sport seats.
As someone said, lower seat all the way down creeping up on the maximum. Then creep back all the way. I fit no problem! Love it.

2019 R-dynamic w/ performance seats

The following users liked this post:
KalamazooJag (12-13-2021)