F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag dealer ridiculous wait time

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 04:36 PM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Jag dealer ridiculous wait time

I have several warranty issues that need dealer attention. After calling two local Dallas Jag dealers the soonest they can get me in with a loaner car for a 3 - 5 day service investigation is one month from today. No wonder Jag is going downhill, that is not the service level that I expect on a $100k car and I told them so. If I had a under $20k econo-box, I could see the elongated wait time, but not for a Jag or Land Rover, that is absurd.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

They have been bad, and I agree, its just not good on expensive, high-end vehicles. However, by me it seems to have gotten a little better. I had a check engine light last week, another O2 sensor (second one in the last few hundred miles). I didn't even bother to ask for a loaner, just paid for a ride back and forth. But I got an appointment only 7 days out and they got the work done that same day. That's significantly better than in the past, so maybe they are making an effort to improve.

I still could never recommend anyone buy a Jaguar who needs to depend on it for an everyday car, because you just can't count on support.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:02 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

A loaner appointment is a real problem because so many cars are getting hung up at the dealerships because of parts shortages.

The following users liked this post:
Lani Kai (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 06:22 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
A loaner appointment is a real problem because so many cars are getting hung up at the dealerships because of parts shortages.
Definitely. I used to be able to get a loaner with just a day or two notice, but now it's at least several weeks. We all need to adjust our expectations...
What was not acceptable though was the time I showed up for the appointment that I had booked 6 weeks in advance and was told that they had just checked out their last loaner vehicle...

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (03-15-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Both my Jag and Maser dealer have discontinued loaner cars. They offer paid Uber/Lyft to and from dealer.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

The issue right now is not necessarily the dealerships fault. As mentioned, so many part shortages have put customers in longer then usual loaner/rental vehicles. With that said, the local dealership here (who still offers this) provides a rental through Enterprise versus in-house loaners at the moment. YMMV, but perhaps you can ask for a different concession similar to that?

Old 03-16-2022, 06:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree about 'must have loaners for 100K car" but all other brands have the same situation - had to wait like a month for wife's BMW appointment with the loaner.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Not too long ago my dealer had a 3 month wait without a loaner!!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:44 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

My 2017 has been at the dealer since Dec.15,2021 for some end-of-warranty minor fixes (snapped gas cap tether), a PITA (noise in right side door) and a major one.. replacing the 'old-style' flanged heater pipes with the upgraded newer style units. The car is kept inside, in a safe area. I left it with them with the idea that they may need to keep it awhile, especially with supply chain/delivery issues. Loaners were a non-issue. Here in Wisconsin, if the dealer provides loaners, the loaner vehicle has to pass some sort of inspection and since there are no new cars for sale, they have no used ones that could possibly be used as a loaner. I was able to make alternative transport arrangements. The last part they need for the heater pipe project MAY be in this week 3/18/22. I may get the car back at some point, but I would have stored it at home all this time anyway (Wisconsin winters :-) and would rather that they have the time they need to check the car over and fix it right. I also asked them to quote me the cost of things like replacing the SC oil and the water pump, due simply to the age of the car.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

@Valerie Stabenow is it the newer heater hoses that are in short supply?

Old 03-16-2022, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Hi Valerie:
FYI, my car was recently at the dealership for about 6 weeks. Issues with getting parts 2x (that did not solve the problem), then more careful diagnosis and fix.
Reason for the note is that when I got the car back, there was a scratch on the driver's door!! Of course, nobody had any idea how it happened.
Fortunately, the dealership had photos showing it was not there when accepted for work. They did have to respray the door at their expense.
So, my point is, after such a long time in the shop I would suggest you do a veryy careful inspection in good light to make sure you have not accumulated any dings and scratches during the 3 months.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Hi Valerie:
FYI, my car was recently at the dealership for about 6 weeks. Issues with getting parts 2x (that did not solve the problem), then more careful diagnosis and fix.
Reason for the note is that when I got the car back, there was a scratch on the driver's door!! Of course, nobody had any idea how it happened.
Fortunately, the dealership had photos showing it was not there when accepted for work. They did have to respray the door at their expense.
So, my point is, after such a long time in the shop I would suggest you do a veryy careful inspection in good light to make sure you have not accumulated any dings and scratches during the 3 months.
Thank you for that great suggestion! Although it is 'stuffed' up in a corner, that doesn't mean that someone with a belt or a stroller wasn't over there giving it the fish eye. I will be disappointed if I find damage, but will still go over it with the proverbial fine toothed comb at pick up.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
@Valerie Stabenow is it the newer heater hoses that are in short supply?
I'm sorry but I don't know if those 'newer' style heater pipes are in short supply or just that it took SO long to come from the UK. Although I have an experienced tech working on the car, it doesn't mean that parts were ordered that aren't quite right and the correct one reordered. This particular 2017 was on the cusp between several upgrades, so sometimes things that 'should' fit, don't. Another thing that happened was that I ordered some new hood louvers from Harper Jaguar and they sent me two 'lefts'. As it turned out, someone had ordered the louvers, sent them back to Harper, but put them back in the wrong packaging, so with the wrong part number. Harper was GREAT. They sent out a new one right away and a prepaid return ship label for me to return the wrong one.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

The loaner is usually the constraint. Ive been able to get same day appointment if I sit and wait or waive the loaner requirement.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Forget the loaner, just be careful the techniciens do a good job and bolt everything back up right and don’t strip any bolts or overfill any fluids!