F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Jag dealerships no haggle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are Jag dealerships no haggle?

I'm looking to buy a new 2017 S. Went to the local dealership as they have a car on the lot that is close enough in all the options I want to consider it. MSRP is $89,995. He was only willing to give a $2500 discount. He wasn't interested in negotiating further. Is this common with Jag? I've purchased plenty of cars in the past but never a Jag.

It seems insane to pay $87,495 for an S when I can buy a fully loaded 2016 R with less than 50 miles on the odo for $79,995. What am I missing here? Are there dealers on the west coast that will negotiate?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

10-20% off msrp is not uncommon on many jaguars. That's a terrible deal. Are you looking at a convertible? May be paying the spring premium.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Over on the leasing forums the word is that there is more room for negotiation on the higher up packages, so not much on a Base, more on an SVR. Was the 2016 model already titled ? I believe at one point Jaguar were adding dealer incentives to clear remaining 2016 stock (either that or depreciation at work!).

These days the "haggling" isn't quite as prevalent with everybody being able to search the Internet for comparison pricing - for example, can you get another 2017 S with similar options for $87500 or less ? If not, then why should he negotiate further ? If he's over priced it, it won't sell and he knows that.

But I didn't buy mine from a Jaguar dealer it is true as the ones they had on the lot had more options than I was interested in and I could see they weren't going to be able to remove them or lower the price to remove them. Following other threads, if you don't mind pre-owned, you might want to cruise some MB dealer lots/websites - they seem to have some of the keenest pricing on the Jaguars they have taken in trade ;-) Mine did.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM

Personally I wouldn't call a well optioned S type a $90k car a base car. Sure it's not the top of the line SVR, but it isn't bottom of the barrel either. It is indeed a convertible. I'm trying to replace my aging Z4 with something new and the F-Type looks appealing. I think part of the issue is that this is the only dealer in my state so no real competition unless I go out of state. I wouldn't mind certified pre-owned, however when spending this kind of money on a car I'm picky with my options and I seem to have rare taste I just love Firesand Orange and those are few and far between.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw
I'm looking to buy a new 2017 S. Went to the local dealership as they have a car on the lot that is close enough in all the options I want to consider it. MSRP is $89,995. He was only willing to give a $2500 discount. He wasn't interested in negotiating further. Is this common with Jag?
Very few people pay MSRP. Try talking directly to sales manager, tell him your sales guy is wasting your time making joke offers and you will go to a different dealership if they don't get serious.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Getting a deal is about timing. The best time to buy convertible is in January - February. The best time to buy 2017 is when 2018 models hit showroom. I purchased my convertible early February and got $15K off. That took 911 right out of consideration.

So now is not the best time to buy.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine was "no haggle."
Dealer - $18K off
Me - OK

Bought 2016 V6S in Feb 2017 so yeah, they were dealing. Another place has $15K off. But, could definitely be a "spring premium," of course they are trying to get as much as they can.
Competition is now nationwide. Keep in mind that it might only be $1000 to ship it to you.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Buying toward the end of the month gives the salesman more incentive to makes month-end bonus if you are dealing with a salesman/salesmanager. also, use the internet to see what cars are available in your area and how long they have been on their lots if you have the time. I watched several lots for a couple of cars that were built the way I wanted and within driving distance from my location. I was able to go to first dealer, make an offer, then start to walk out to go to the next choice. Got the deal I wanted. Maybe not the 'best' deal, but good enough for me to write the check.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

We still have a few 2015 jags and rovers im sure well deal on

Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I was going to say, they will haggle all day on used cars and new ones that have been on the lot for a while.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

After many years of buying new vehicles, I made the mistake of adding up the number once.......now I buy mostly lightly used. I paid 20% less than a brand new base V6 for my CPO V8S with 6800 miles on it, every option except lighted sills and nary a scratch. It was the color I wanted but I wouldn't pay the extra 25,000 to get a new one just to get a different color.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I certainly would have purchased used if any used MTs had been available in mid-2015.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I got 21K off the 110K F Type R, but they were trying to rid of prev (2016) model year cars.
So, timing is important.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I knew what I could afford, and didn’t want to haggle. I simply needed the monthly payment to fall within $40 of my target budget, or I will walk away and get a Volvo.

Once I made the dealer aware of this requirement, the first dealer got inflexible and “haggled”. I walked away from him, as was my rule.

The second dealer used the bank’s payment plan options, and trimmed a bit off the final price, to work the price down to achieve my requirement. He was willing to haggle, but realized I wasn’t specifically looking to reduce his commission—I was dead serious about controlling my future costs.

Jaguar has a problem with their dealerships in general. The dealerships have just a tad too much of an “autonomous and independent” feel to them. The next dealer/salesman you try may be a willing negotiator, or be an arrogant piece of wood, all on a turn of luck.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
After many years of buying new vehicles, I made the mistake of adding up the number once.......now I buy mostly lightly used. I paid 20% less than a brand new base V6 for my CPO V8S with 6800 miles on it, every option except lighted sills and nary a scratch. It was the color I wanted but I wouldn't pay the extra 25,000 to get a new one just to get a different color.

2 cents,
Dave
Me too, I got a year old V6 Premium Coupe with 7000 miles in the colour I wanted with trim items I wanted (and a few more I wasn't bothered about) for $25K less than new and $10K under Base. Happy to spend the money saved at Stuart's "put a tiger in your Jaguar tank" shop on a Tune and crank pulley.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

First find the dealer in the worst economic area within driving distance. The guy who sells three cars a month. Second find the USAA or equivalent price and that is where to start. Third, read the culture of the dealership, the general manager. Some places deal and others don't. But in any event $2500 off a $90,000 sticker on a low volume car is not a serious offer. Jaguars historically have been high discount cars generally speaking

Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

jaguar sells/leases best in March. This is their fiscal year end (not December)

and with my experience, in southen cal, 99% of the dealers have a stick up their butt. I managed to find a great dealer and got 15% off MSRP on a base model

The following users liked this post:
ryd003 (01-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 2018 XF-S for invoice price, which is a flat 6% off everything, base price and all options. The demand for an F-Type may be higher and that could be influencing how much dealers will negotiate, but I wanted you to know it's not uncommon to get a Jaguar, at least the XF model, at invoice price. Not all dealers will even do that, and not all will even talk about invoice price, preferring to negotiate from MSRP instead. Do yourself a favor and figure out what invoice price is from Edmonds.com or Truevalue.com and negotiate with several dealers, asking for their lowest price at or below invoice. Now, I'm ordering mine from the factory so the dealer has no finance costs wrapped up in it and he knows it's basically in the door one day and out the next, but cars on the showroom floor costs dealers more in floor costs, so they should have an incentive to unload what they have, particularly now that 2018s can be ordered and will be in showrooms by July at he latest. I would think you should be able to get somewhere between 3 and 6% off MSRP, and more once the '18s start to arrive, but as the '17s get sold, your choices diminish. You might be better off doing as I did and find a dealer willing to sell at invoice and order exactly what you want. The only downside is the 3 month or longer wait to get it. Ordered mine on April 25th and it won't even be built until June 16th and not expected to arrive until August 4th. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
We still have a few 2015 jags and rovers im sure well deal on
OK I'll bite. Which dealership do you work for?