F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag F Type R v. MB AMG GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag F Type R v. MB AMG GTS

I have narrowed down my next car to either a MB AMG GTS or a Jag F Type R. The following are my general observations regarding a few different data points:

Exterior: Both are gorgeous. The MB is sleeker and more unique/interesting; on the other hand, the long nose is not universally loved. The Jag is safer and more traditional. The MB has a great blue paint (my preference) – the Jag’s blue paint is way too dark.

Interior: The Jag’s interior is nice, but the MB interior is exceptional. Both have great seats.

HP/TQ: The Jag has 550 HP and 500 TQ. Several companies offer ECU/pully mods to push the HP up to 600-610. The MB has 500 HP and 480 TQ. I have no doubt that ECU mods will be available shortly after release to add 50-100 HP.

Transmission: The Jag’s paddle shifting automatic is quite good, but I presume the MB’s paddle shifting dual clutch sequential will be faster shifting.

RWD/AWD: My last few cars have been AWD and that is my preference, largely because I enjoy launching hard.

Weight: The 2016 AWD Jag should weigh approx 4070 lbs. The MB weighs approx 3600 lbs. That’s a BIG difference.

Handling: I will not track the car. Nevertheless, I enjoy a good handling care. According to reviews, the MB handles meaningfully better. That said, I suspect the Jag handles good enough for my occasional spirited canyon driving.

Jag test drive: I test drove a 2015 RWD Jag. It has very good power, both at launch and over 20 mph. It breaks loose on hard launches. I assume the 2016 AWD Jag will not break loose as easily. I did not take any turns.

Speculation re: MB drivability: I have not driven the MB. I am a tad concerned that the long nose of the MB may be awkward and harder to manage/navigate/gauge – I hope/assume it becomes second nature with some drive time. The RWD will likely break loose on hard launches (likely more so than the AWD Jag).

What do you think? Jag or MB? Why?

Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Jag because it's gorgeous, and MB is for women and old men. Hth.

This is a Jag forum, what answer do you expect?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Mercedes. German. Clinical. Precise. Exhilarating.
Jag. Arrive smiling. No contest.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Jag, hands down. The MB is nowhere near as good looking.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Mercedes Benz - soul-less. Every time I drive a Merc, I come away with the feeling that there's a car that has all the gadgets and techno wizardry, and it just leaves me cold and uninspired.

The Jag spoke to me immediately just like a beautiful piece of art.

No contest.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:35 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

After reading the initial reviews I think the Mercedes is the better car, but it is $30k more and not as sexy.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

don't like the long nose at all, back end looks bad as well. No need to pay at least 30k more for that.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

The best way to look at this is to consider yourself fortunate that you're able to choose between two exquisite cars. There's no bad outcome here.

Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Easy decision if you ask me:

Old 02-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

For me it comes down to looks and sound. Which one do u think looks better and sound better? Go with that.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I have owned many makes and models over the years but none of them have given me the pure joy of this car. As I was leaving work last night and turned onto the main road and punched the gas, it just exploded, burbling and crackling, snorting and dancing along. I found myself giggling like a maniac the whole time. No other car has ever caused me to feel that way.

The following 5 users liked this post by Lovemonet:
Foosh (02-20-2015), gotwish (02-20-2015), OzRisk (02-20-2015), Psycho (02-20-2015), Trakrzy (02-21-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more amg cars on the road. So, if you're in Norcal, get the merc.
Also, it seems like you believe the Mercedes had the better performance, and if that's what you care about then go for it. And it has a unique design, so it only needs to speak to you. it's also guaranteed to be more reliable.
Do keep in mind however, the jag is almost certainly the more entertaining car to own.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
it's also guaranteed to be more reliable.
Does the Jag have reliability issues?

Do keep in mind however, the jag is almost certainly the more entertaining car to own.
How so?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfluous

How so?
With regard to your question #1, it's too early to tell for the F-Type as a new model, but the vast majority of us haven't had any significant issues. Jaguar reliability has improved dramatically over the last 10 or so years from a time when it wasn't good compared to the competition. However, that reputation lingers, perhaps unfairly so. Mine has been flawless for the 9 months I've owned it.

With regard to #2, it can't be adequately explained. You have to drive it yourself. There is nothing close in the price range that delivers the same experience and automotive drama. The soundtrack alone is major part of it.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Superfluous

How so?
I haven't had any major issues, and so far it looks like the f type doesn't have major issues, but there are these small things here and there that go wrong. A sensor here, a loose piece of rubber there, things that I don't have to deal with in my Mercedes.

As for entertainment, the sliding backside is a good start. The growl of the exhaust and the moral conflict of starating it up in the early morning.
The attention has yet to get old. Even girls know it's a special car.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I think you've already answered your question as you have pretty much stated you prefer the Merc. under every point you raised.
Lawrence

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I think you've already answered your question as you have pretty much stated you prefer the Merc. under every point you raised.
Lawrence
Yes, it's really a moot point asking those of us in a full flight automotive love affair with our cars whether you should buy something else. I suspect you'd get a similar amount of positive feedback about the GTS on a Merc forum.

Perhaps the best strategy would be to post some photos and the same question on Nissan GTR forum, or Corvette, or whatever. That way you'd get a decent amount of views not biased towards either (mixed, no doubt, with a fair amount of unreasonable critique of both).

Oh, by the way... Buy The Jag!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 PM

I've posted similar questions on other forums and have learned useful facts from the responses.
Besides the factoids that slip into the conversation, the fanaticism displayed by owners can indicate how much owners like their cars. You also occasionally get honest level headed responses.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 PM

Just saw the Chris Harris review of the AMG. He's impressed, and he even says it's better then the jag, but watching I got the feeling he wouldn't say that to the jag's face

Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Just saw the Chris Harris review of the AMG. He's impressed, and he even says it's better then the jag, but watching I got the feeling he wouldn't say that to the jag's face
There'll always be a car better than the last car.

Chris Harris does entertaining reviews - I certainly enjoyed his F Type R coupe reviews. However, I don't let reviewers make my mind up for me or else I never would have bought my RS5 sight unseen. That proved to be a good choice (based on prior research and discussion) but reviewers gave it a very hard time in the first year before it started to post some serious results and the less analytical writers started to realize you drive an RS5 entirely differently to an M3, which is what they kept comparing it to.

I think Mulmur is right, Superfluous - i get that feeling you want to find reasons to buy the Merc so perhaps your choice is made.

Just one more thing... Buy The Jag!

Quick Reply: Jag F Type R v. MB AMG GTS