Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag F vs M4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag F vs M4

I was so close to pulling the trigger on a blk/blk M4 vert
Seemed more practical with 4 seats and the drive was awesome! Killer looking! And the tech/infotainment is superb! But there's not enough M finish out inside nor out to really make this car look as strong/special as I want compared to 4 series; I dragged my feet, they sold it two days later. It made my decision easier--cause I've had my eyes on a Jag F V8S blk/blk with blk rims fully decked out with black pack, extended leather, 770watt stereo, vision/performance/ premium packs!! I test drove it says after driving M4 and although I do like the M4 a lot, it doesn't compare to the Jag in the drive, sound, feedback, thrill, and interior feel! Jag tech may not be as savvy but it's the same setup as Land Rover (which we have a Sport) and it's great-- dunno why people complain about it!! And although I have 2 kids, I do have a Jeep Rubicon JKU which has 4 doors--so there--the Jag is officially a 3rd car for the family for thrills, date night, etc. I am very happy about the Jag and to think I almost bought the M4--I have had my eyes on a Jag for over 6 months

Old 04-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats! Jags have soul and when you drive them, you feel that you are part of something special. Trust me, you'll never look back.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I probably would have opted for the M4 if the 6 speed hadn't eventually been offered on the F-Type.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 AM

I used to drive only manuals, but honestly, there's no point anymore unless you have to feel that clutch engage under your left foot. I drive my R only in manual and I don't miss the 3rd pedal. Then again, if I ever drive a V6S RWD with the 6 speed, I may change my mind...lol

I would only lease a manual. Would never want to pay for a new clutch if I owned one....

Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Well done and congratulations, you won’t be disappointed!

When I was searching for a replacement for my BMW 5 series last August, I really wanted another convertible. My #1 choice was the M4 convertible, but they just weren’t available for delivery at that time. I had an opportunity to drive the F-Type and took it. Wow, what a drive! I also looked hard at the 435i convertible with performance exhaust and the Audi A5/S5 convertible, but they both felt dull compared the F-type. I did drive a 2015 M3 sedan on the street and pushed it hard doing hot laps on a track with an instructor. It was excellent, but did not excite me. Besides, the dealers in my area had the M3’s and M4’s marked up $8,500 over MSRP which turned me off. The choice was easy and I went for the Jaguar and got a great deal. I was initially concerned about it being only a two-seater, the lack of trunk space and reliability. None have been an issue and I can always use my wife’s car or one of my company vehicles when I need something more practical. Call me crazy but I actually prefer the navigation/infotainment in the Jag over the iDrive and the blind spot monitoring works much better than BMW’s. The F-Type still brings thrills every day and this is the first time I have not gotten bored with a car after 6 months

Old 04-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I owned this for only 3 months before pre trading for the 2016 F type R.

The M4 was an absolutely awesome car, but it was something I never formed an emotional connection with. Part of that problem was that I sold my 2010 ZR1 to get it.

You will have no regrets passing on the M4

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Joz,

My experience was similar. I sold a Z06, and bought an E92 M3. I also found it very sterile and boring by comparison.

The following users liked this post:
Joz132 (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9NVz_LKj8

Look who comes AFTER the Beast...... And ours still looks and sounds better than the first two, so ours still reigns supreme!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 PM

This is why the F-Type R is so awesome. It has the performance goods to be right up there in the top 3, and is the perfect blend. It has the sophistication of the Porsche but better looking. It is as affordable as the GTR, but with much better refinement.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Default Awesome!!

Thanks for all the quick replies!
It's interesting that soooo many of you test drove/cross-shopped same cars I did (Stingray, RS5, M3/4....?AMG C63?) OR traded in M4 all in favor of a Jag F R or S....well said about having sophistication and panache of Porsche 911 but sex appeal of nothing short of the Astons-- I'm finding the Jag Fs simply stand out like a Lambo; I debated about the R but (a) I don't track (b) I like open tops -- remember Ive owned jeeps for over a decade and my M4 vert test drive simply solidified my debate of whether I would truly use a vert (c) I got a better deal on V8S than I could on R (d) I really really liked the blk/blk/blk Jag vert. So...although I still thnk Ida been happy (not as much) with the M4 vert, why are so many people passing on them or trading them? IMO, it's the most quintessential German muscle car M design ever made and the M sports effects are superb-- I've heard so many people say he same--they never felt connected---is is too big/long? Is the future legit M 235 (235i with M package is pretty awesome) gonna be the slam dunk? I love the interior of M4 but it's just not much different than my friend's 235i with M package on the inside yet way way cheaper..

Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Old 04-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by claywilliams

Great looking car. Congrats on an awesome purchase.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats beautiful car, I also cross shopped the M4. Although I didn't get to test drive any I couldn't get over the lawn mower exhaust sound.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The M4 isn't really competition for the V8 powered F-Types.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats, Clay. You made the better choice. (Black on black too!)

I had a E92 M3. After 6 mos, I let it go. But always willing to upgrade my perceptions, I gave the F82 M4 a thorough look-see, to see whether I'd feel the same as I did about my M3..., I did! (Among other things, the DCT still has that irritating standing-start hesitation.) In the end, the M4 nicely performed, but was more clinical than exciting. My F-Type has brought back the good stuff.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default catches your breath

Black on black, I love the look. Congrats!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting thread. I looked back and wondered *if* I should have bought the M4 but this thread made me smile. I drove the M5 (2013) & M3 (and a bunch of other makes). M4 was sold minutes before I arrived so no test.
Never even thought of Jaguar as a possible purchase until I stumbled upon the XF-RS. Then drove an F (R). Great car but prefer sedans or GTs.
BMW dealer laughed when I told him I bought the Jag instead -- he said I'd be back for the M4. Not so sure! For some reason I just don't connect with BMW emotionally whereas I did immediately with Jaguar.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Funny about what the sales rep said...the one I was dealing with was trying to show my up the street neighbor how good the M4 sounded (we drove it to my house to see if it would get up my 30deg driveway--barely) compared to his Tesla--of course I had to quickly inform the rep that "sound" was not the object of the Tesla--it's all tech and speed and efficiency--he didn't even know that the Tesla was faster than the Ferrari Italia 458---at any rate, he stepped on the pedal and revved it over and over and said, "this is what a sports car should sound like." Obvious this was in jest--he wan't being a buttonhole; but my point is at that very point, after hearing what sounded like a really irritated bobcat while not enjoying the sound while driving, I was able to remove myself and just think. Yes, the car looked great with black/black and the 19 inch rims--beautiful car no doubt. But I knew at that moment that since my 4-door Rubicon was my true DD, that I wanted a car that I felt connected in--alive--and that includes interior, tech, and yes, the sound. And 5 days later when I managed to get back into a Jag F after 3 months, what I felt was "warm apple pie," to steal a quote from American Pie--that "ah ha" moment--that instant blink--your heart skips a beat, and the sound....the sound was not an irritated bobcat, but a really pissed off lion (or jaguar)--the M4 vert is a spectacular car--but even though it is a killer European muscle car (with some nice sportiness), BMW somehow missed it's anticipated mark on the new M4---and I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. And so many people are saying the same thing yet no one can seem to explain it either. Were we expecting something more cut and ripped, stronger lines, loud as crap engine? I dunno.......but I know that it's raining here in Tyler and I'm mad cause I really wanna go drive my Jag F!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by allenman85
Interesting thread. I looked back and wondered *if* I should have bought the M4 but this thread made me smile. I drove the M5 (2013) & M3 (and a bunch of other makes). M4 was sold minutes before I arrived so no test. Never even thought of Jaguar as a possible purchase until I stumbled upon the XF-RS. Then drove an F (R). Great car but prefer sedans or GTs. BMW dealer laughed when I told him I bought the Jag instead -- he said I'd be back for the M4. Not so sure! For some reason I just don't connect with BMW emotionally whereas I did immediately with Jaguar.
I have both an F-Type R Coupe and a 2014 BMW M5.

While I share that the BMW lacks the emotional appeal of the Jaguar, it has a different type of satisfaction. It feels like a precision instrument - smooth, clinical, very well engineered. It also has vastly better technology - the M HUD with the shift indicators allowing you to optimize the shift points of the M Double Clutch. The precise and impossibly quick shifts of the M DCT transmission. The superb navigation system which is permanently connected via the cars inbuilt 4G connection and which gives me true real-time traffic information, as well as the ability to summon a human being with a concierge button who can do a wide range of things from safely programming the navigation system while you keep your eyes on the road, to finding you the nearest waterfall for some scenic sightseeing. Plus there are the 22 way adjustable seats which are simply amazing and seem to cushion you from everything. In the BMW you have the sense of being in a military command center which happens to also be a supersonic attack aircraft.

Conversely with the F Type it is old school. The technology is ****. The car sounds and feels old school. And yet it is visceral, brutish and appeals to my inner cave man. You feel that's this car is the direct descendent of the Spitfire. And when you drive it, you feel like a barbarian.

Personally I like having both. The BMW is by far the better touring car, and the Jaguar is the better day-to-day sports car.

The following 2 users liked this post by StealthPilot:
allenman85 (04-06-2015), Mahjik (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the new F Type. I just traded my XKRS in on one and I don't miss the XKRS at all. Well almost. I am curious to know how the M3 or 4 handles compared to the F Type? And why some of you chose your F Type over a BMW or Porsche? I have been driving Jag R cars since 2005 and I have never driven a M car or a Porsche. I have got to test drive the German cars just to see for myself what all the bravado is about.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (04-07-2015)

Quick Reply: Jag F vs M4