F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"

Jaguar dealer advertises its '17 F-Type as "Jaguar Factory Certified." Here's the actual wording for this car from the ad: "Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Details: * Warranty Deductible: $0 * Roadside Assistance * Vehicle History * 165 Point Inspection * Transferable Warranty * Limited Warranty: Up to 7 Year/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date."

Since the i-service date is 7/31/17, I assume that seven years means CPO to 7/31/24. But after we reach agreement on numbers, dealer writes that CPO is only to 7/31/23. I assume it's a simple mistake and say, essentially, I think you mean 7/31/24. Here's the exact text exchange:

Me: This car went in service 7/31/17. Seven years brings it to 7/31/24. Please confirm that the dealership is putting a proper Jaguar-backed 7/100 CPO on it...I understand mistakes happen, so I want clarity that its CPO warranty runs to 7/31/24?

Jaguar dealer: Hi, it's no mistake, you can purchase the ended 1 year warranty! It is UP to 7 years so we are paying for the extra 1 year bringing it to 6!

Me: I assumed, as I think most people would, that "up to" means if you get to 100,000 before year 7, you won't get the rest of the seven years. Honestly, holding back a year when your own ad specifically says 7 years seems shady.

Jaguar dealer: That is Jaguars warranty, you can do up to 7 years CPO on Jaguar. Some dealerships have the customer pay for any sort of warranty extension...we are already giving you a great deal, take it or leave it. If you want to pay for a seventh year I will send you the price.

So what does F-Type (x152) Forum think? Shady AF, or normal business? I'm open-minded.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:55 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I think it is normal business. "Up to" in this case means available for purchase, so if you want it you would have to pay for the extra year. If it had already been paid for the ad would not have read "Up to".

The following 2 users liked this post by cpq100:
bird67 (01-31-2021), JgaXkr (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 422 Posts

Available would be better than up to. Play on words but the dealer is correct. There are a lot worse word shuffles in the car business. In my late teens and early twenties i worked for my uncle at a used car dealership he owned in the early eighties. Doing grunt work mostly but i saw and experienced shady doings that made watergate look like kids play. That was my uncle though. I swear he was the model for the used cars movie with Kurt Russel. I am not a very good bender of the truth so sales was not for me

The following users liked this post:
bird67 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

If you were offered a 7 year/100k CPO, you should expect that. Otherwise it’s like being offered an F-Type with up to 575 hp and getting a base model. False/deceptive advertising!

EDawg109 (02-04-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

JaguarUSA's CPO Warranty is made available "up to 7 years/100k miles..."

When I bought my CPO '17 last year, I incorrectly assumed that 7 meant 7..

In JagSpeak, 7 means 1 extra year beyond the 5 year Factory and an additional 2nd year is available if you cover the cost..
And only if the car meets certification before less than 90 days before the end of that 6th year..

Similarly, BMW offers an extra year of CPOW that kicks in after their 4 year Factory ends..

JLR's Marketing Dept. approved the 7 Year moniker to help allay reliability concerns for sure..

My real concern for OP is the "Take it or Leave It" line..
Typical of modern sales attitudes.. Shame on them.

SDCR_XK (02-04-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you were offered a 7 year/100k CPO, you should expect that. Otherwise it’s like being offered an F-Type with up to 575 hp and getting a base model. False/deceptive advertising!
So they [the dealer] would say "we didn't offer you 7/100k, we said UP TO 7/100k". To develop your example further, having been told it was "up to 575 hp", the dealer would say "you can get the 575 hp if you pay to have the engine swapped out."

Old 01-31-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
JaguarUSA's CPO Warranty is made available "up to 7 years/100k miles..."

When I bought my CPO '17 last year, I incorrectly assumed that 7 meant 7..

In JagSpeak, 7 means 1 extra year beyond the 5 year Factory and an additional 2nd year is available if you cover the cost..
And only if the car meets certification before less than 90 days before the end of that 6th year..

Similarly, BMW offers an extra year of CPOW that kicks in after their 4 year Factory ends..

JLR's Marketing Dept. approved the 7 Year moniker to help allay reliability concerns for sure..

My real concern for OP is the "Take it or Leave It" line..
Typical of modern sales attitudes.. Shame on them.
F1Virginia, so they did the exact same thing to you?? This isn't just limited to the one dealer?

Honestly, this makes me question whether to get involved with JLR at all. If this kind of word-twisting is how JLR treats customers when you are just about to buy, I can well and truly anticipate that every warranty claim will be parsed through similarly, rendering the CPO status meaningless.

If they stick to their guns and say "six years only" and the 7th year is $1,000+, I may back away. And, I may post/reveal the dealership that has asserted this position in another thread. Jaguar caveat empto.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

An honest approach would have been to state: " It comes with an x Year, x mile warranty, with the ability to upgrade to a y year, y mile warranty at the buyers additional expense". That is clean honest communicating.

It is no worse than those stupid commercials/ads that say: " you can save up to 10% or more". How the hell can you get more...Is it up to 10% or is it up to a higher number?? Dumbest crap ever and drives me nuts! Like using the word (not word) "irregardless"... haha

Like someone else mentioned, I more latched on to the dealers demeanor of "take it or leave it"...Yeah, OK...Leave it, it is!

Take care,
DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
bird67 (01-31-2021), MarkN (02-04-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:02 PM

OP here. To be precise about "take it or leave it," here is exactly what dealer said:

I am working very hard to sell you this car. If you are not happy with the car or the warranty I cannot do anything further. We are giving you a better deal than I've ever seen on a certified preowned car - one of only a few in the country. I can get you pricing for the 7th year CPO if you are still interested but that is not something we can also pay for as we have discounted the car past what we own it for since you have been so persistent on this car and I want you to have it.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by bird67
OP here. To be precise about "take it or leave it," here is exactly what dealer said:

I am working very hard to sell you this car. If you are not happy with the car or the warranty I cannot do anything further. We are giving you a better deal than I've ever seen on a certified preowned car - one of only a few in the country. I can get you pricing for the 7th year CPO if you are still interested but that is not something we can also pay for as we have discounted the car past what we own it for since you have been so persistent on this car and I want you to have it.
Haha....That is even worse/more dishonest. No dealer, or any other business is going to sell items for less than they cost the business...That is a business model doomed to fail immediately. It's not like these are hard to sell....But - "we have discounted the car past what we own it for since you have been so persistent on this car and I want you to have it". Now that, is funny! Thanks for sharing...

DC

MarkN (02-04-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

So they [the dealer] would say "we didn't offer you 7/100k, we said UP TO 7/100k". To develop your example further, having been told it was "up to 575 hp", the dealer would say "you can get the 575 hp if you pay to have the engine swapped out."
Yes... both propositions just as absurd.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m buying a car from a Jag dealer in Delaware and it was the same thing there, but I was expecting it.

Biggest issue for me was the ‘going into service’ part as my car is a 2016 that wasn’t sold until 2017, so expected that to push the date out, but it looks like it’s the date it was made available to the public for sale - which is a little shifty in my opinion.

I’m just happy to extend the warranty for as long as I can. Mine was an extra $1200 for a year (based on miles (12k) as well as warranty left I think which has to be at least 90 days) but still worth it for worry free miles.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Good thread..

Yes, my local dealer had several chances to clearly explain the difference between year 6 and 7..

But it was only after I opened the CPO book, pointed to the paragraph and asked them to clarify that the salesman & manager sheepishly admitted:
"Well, the 7th year is at the buyer's expense; if desired.."

I didn't buy from that dealership..
Also, no dealer is in for more than the final price they'll accept unless its month end and a new car deal will put them into the next tier of holdback..

Ridiculous to try such tack on a used car deal.. sad.
I am in sales myself and would rather resign than exhibit even the slightest obfuscation.
Trust is King..

The following 2 users liked this post by F1Virginia:
MarkN (02-04-2021), tberg (03-26-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:49 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

We bought ours from a non Jag dealer. Carfax said it had been sold CPO to the PO and I confirmed with the local Jag dealership that it was CPO and transferable.
Also found out it had punted a Coyote and received a new nose cone.
I asked about the in service date and then tried to confirm the warranty end date. They explained that the PO had only purchased the 1 year/ 100,000 mile CPO. Not the 2 year.
At that point we could either accepted it or not.
Have you driven this car you're looking at yet? I swear, if the dealership said "and it comes with a bag of dog poop in the trunk" I'd of said OK, sign me up. Car is beyond ridiculously addictive.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I swear, if the dealership said "and it comes with a bag of dog poop in the trunk" I'd of said OK, sign me up. Car is beyond ridiculously addictive.
Ha! I’d still read the fine print because they would probably try to add on extra for the dog poop.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Ha! I’d still read the fine print because they would probably try to add on extra for the dog poop.
The dog poop is FREE but there might be a Handling Charge.

(Can you tell I stay up late with telephone at the ready?)

Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

OP here. To be precise about "take it or leave it," here is exactly what dealer said
Dealers suck. They aren't your friend and they aren't trying to get you a good deal. If you like the car, buy it and move on. If you don't, find one you do like. Someone will buy that car from that dealer. If I never bought a car from a dealer because I thought they were buttheads, I'd never buy any car. Focus on the car and determine if it's the one for you or not and ignore the dealer's salesperson.

bluejaag (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I bought mine new from a Jag dealer. It had been on the lot so long that they had made it a CPO with a six year warranty. The price had been reduced so much that trying to negotiate it any further would have been fruitless. Instead I asked for a seventh year of CPO warranty to be thrown in. The dealer did it without any hesitation.

Last edited by cpq100; 02-01-2021 at 11:53 AM.
bluejaag (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

During my search over the last year, I was always on the look out for a well priced CPO. I knew up front what the 'up to 7/100K' meant. When I called to inquire about the car, I specifically asked if the CPO was a 6 year or 7 year. 100% of the time it was a 6 year/100K CPO. The 7th year could be had for an additional $1200 to $1700 depending on the dealership. My local dealership had the best CPO offer on an F type that had not yet been a CPO car. They said they could CPO if for the 7/100K for an additional $2200. Unfortunately, it was a car that was already a bit overpriced and didn't have the color and options I was looking for, so I passed.
I have to be honest. I've called on at least a dozen used F types offered by Jaguar dealerships all across the country and none of them were really pleasant experiences when trying to negotiate. In fact, there was always next to no negotiating. I got the distinct feeling that these 'used car' Jaguar salesmen had a chip on their shoulder cause they are selling used and not dealing with the typical "1%" tier customers who don't bother with price negotiation that the new car salesman deal with.
I eventually got lucky. I found a used, CPO, from an individual. A car enthusiast who understood the depreciation on his car, was always happy to talk on the phone, provide copies of all service history and receipts, a carfax report and sent several videos where he addressed my questions personally and pointed out all flaws honestly. I feel very good about this purchase. I hope to receive the car by the end of next week, barring any delays from the East coast storm coming in.

The following 4 users liked this post by SonofGaladriel:
bird67 (02-01-2021), bluejaag (02-01-2021), Carbuff2 (02-01-2021), volkris (02-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

When I negotiated for my CPO from Jaguar Tampa back in 2019, they said it was 6 years from the in service date, and I "had to pay" an extra 1,200 to get the 7th year. So I think this sneaky practice has been in place for a while. But I factored it in to the price discussions. Initially they didn't want to budge on the price, but I was persistent with making incrementally higher offers, several times.

I could tell the sales gentleman was not appreciating the back & forth and had the same "take it or leave it" attitude. My 2 cents is that the cars are tough to sell, but they figure 'little effort is required' because they're unique & it just takes the right person to come in and nab it.

I wouldn't let this stop you from buying if this is the F Type for you. Could try to wrangle in the 7th year as part of the discussion, and say you'll walk. If they don't get back within a couple days, maybe then bridge the gap and say I'll bump up my total offer by 600/700.

IMHO it's worth dealing with a stroppy sales rep for this car, but it shouldn't be the case. Once you drive it and own it though, those past irritations fade and are replaced by your joy of ownership.

bird67 (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"