F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Yup, this exact scenario happened to me. I ended up buying an additional year, but with less miles covered (so 75k instead of 100k) as that cost less. In hindsight I wouldn't get the additional year again; you'll get everything sorted by year 6.

When shopping there was exactly one listing that specifically said it had all 7 years; everything else was 6 with the option to buy an additional.

The following 2 users liked this post by fuzzysquid:
bird67 (02-01-2021), bluejaag (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Dealers suck. They aren't your friend and they aren't trying to get you a good deal. If you like the car, buy it and move on. If you don't, find one you do like. Someone will buy that car from that dealer. If I never bought a car from a dealer because I thought they were buttheads, I'd never buy any car. Focus on the car and determine if it's the one for you or not and ignore the dealer's salesperson.
OP here. I love this take. It is so true.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (02-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Yup, this exact scenario happened to me. I ended up buying an additional year, but with less miles covered (so 75k instead of 100k)
I really like this idea.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:34 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

So Bird..
You now have a swath of our varied opinions..

What is your decision on moving forward with or instead revealing the name of the dealer as you pass on their tactics?

Old 02-02-2021, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
So Bird..
You now have a swath of our varied opinions..

What is your decision on moving forward with or instead revealing the name of the dealer as you pass on their tactics?
Great question, my takeaway from input is:
- it’s shady
- it’s shady at corporate JLR level, since JLR provides the shady language to all dealers and uses it in its own literature
- it’s shady at dealer level because dealers can disclose as little or as much as it wants, and this one chose to go with corporate level of obfuscation and non-disclosure
- this particular salesperson did disclose it to me as we were negotiating, but I didn’t focus on it because I only saw what the ad said, so it is partly on me for falling for the shady language and tuning out the salesperson and then assuming she made a math error
- even at “only” six years it still provides pretty good extended coverage length BUT
- if JLR is so overtly shady about coverage when selling the warranty, imagine how shady JLR can be when you need warranty work! I suspect the policy is riddled with exceptions to coverage using weasel language on this level
- the “we’re losing money on the deal but we want you to have it” language is a nonissue because it’s inherently irrelevant, the price is the price and I either buy it or not. Unlike misrepresenting the warranty length in the ad, this is, as they say, “mere puffery” so I don’t hold it against them
- it is likely a good car with a decent warranty, and the negotiated price is what is

so...taking advice here, I’ve asked salesperson to quote me year seven at 7/60 or 7/70, since it’s time rather than miles that is the issue for me, if price is acceptable will go forward. If not, I’ll share dealer name and car availability. S/B today or tomorrow I get that quote. If I walk it’ll be okay because it isn’t a color that I love and I had to talk myself into overlooking that it doesn’t do much for me visually. Paying top dollar for a car that is about passion but not being passionate about how it looks might be enough to let this pass if warranty Issue can’t be resolved.

im aware these folks likely read this forum and recognize the situation, I think I’ve been even-handed and accurate in the reporting. As I said from the first post I’m open-minded about whether it is truly run-away shady or par for the course for car dealers universally. Takeaway seems to be a mixture.

The following 2 users liked this post by bird67:
Mahjik (02-02-2021), volkris (02-04-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Well stated and well thought!

Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Will this be your first Jaguar Bird?
If you pass, will you still seek an F-type or move onto a different brand?

Old 02-02-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Will this be your first Jaguar Bird?
If you pass, will you still seek an F-type or move onto a different brand?
Hi F1 et al: Here's the denouement.

1. I'm done with this deal. Today the dealer doubled-down on what it calls "miscommunication." It will not budge from 6/100. It wants $1250 for 7/100. It will not offer fewer miles on the warranty, such as 7/60 or 7/100. Then, today, it ADDED a $599 doc fee to the deal.

Before you howl and say "all dealers have doc fees." And you're right, most do. Except our deal already accounted for it. In our written negotiations, so I had them to refer back to, the dealer dropped the price to $51. This means, of course, $51,599. I came up to $49. This means, of course, $49,599. I offered to split the difference, specifically saying $50,000 plus $599 doc fee. Dealer agreed, then asked me for my drivers license so it could write it up. Today, though, same dealer and same salesperson wrote"oh, no, it's $50,599 PLUS 599 doc fee...we NEVER waive our doc fee."

I didn't bother to argue. I replied, "we're done. Keep the car."

2. If anyone wants the car, it's at RAY CATANA JAGUAR in Edison, NJ. It is a blue manual S. It's a very nice car, and it will probably make you might be very happy. The advertised price is $58,995, unchanged since it hit the market in November. After our back and forth periodically over a few weeks, the dealer, as of today when it added the $599 into the deal (again), the dealer is willing to take $50,599 + $599 doc fee, with 6/100 CPO, $1250 for the seventh year.

3. F1, to answer your question, this was to be my first F-Type. I've rented three F-Types from Turo before. I don't love the color of this one, and I think it's overpriced, but I've looked for a while and decided to dive in on this one if it could be bought at a price I liked.

4. I won't be buying a Jaguar. This encounter confirmed my preformed biases about the brand - JLR dealers make you feel like they are doing you a service by allowing you to become a JLR owner. That has been true of my experience with the local dealer, with those dealers I've called about other JLR motor cars, and of course, here with Ray Catana.

As Mahjik put it: "Dealers suck. They aren't your friend and they aren't trying to get you a good deal. If you like the car, buy it and move on. If you don't, find one you do like. Someone will buy that car from that dealer. If I never bought a car from a dealer because I thought they were buttheads, I'd never buy any car. Focus on the car and determine if it's the one for you or not and ignore the dealer's salesperson."

Following Mahjik's wise words, my gut says move on. So I am.

The following 4 users liked this post by bird67:
Mahjik (02-02-2021), robtroxel (02-04-2021), SinF (02-02-2021), volkris (02-04-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Certainly understand your frustration but there are some exceptionally fair dealers out there. Scarborough Jaguar in Maine for one and Hunt Valley Jaguar in Maryland was very good to me. That said your gut is always the best barometer of action.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Certainly understand your frustration but there are some exceptionally fair dealers out there. Scarborough Jaguar in Maine for one and Hunt Valley Jaguar in Maryland was very good to me. That said your gut is always the best barometer of action.
Add to that list Jaguar of West Columbia, MD.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Glad you decided to stick it to the slimeball dealer over BS doc fee. I always negotiate all-in price, then dealer can count 0 to 100% of the negotiated final price toward any and all fees they choose to invent. I had similarly bad experience with Porsche dealers when I went to buy 911 and this is how I ended up with an F-type. I made sure to email them a copy of my F-type purchase agreement.

If you are willing to salvage this - write directly to sales manager and bypass your salesperson. Write "I was about to buy this car but BS with fees had me walk away." and see what they do.

A manual F-type is a rare beast, so looking for one you put yourself into unfortunate position of slim pickings. You probably would have enjoyed it, but there are other cars out there.

Last edited by SinF; 02-02-2021 at 10:06 PM.
volkris (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a recent conversation about the 7/100 with my local dealer as well. It was a 2017 R and CPO, so I thought it would be covered until 2024 (DUH). The salesman said, "We only guarantee 2yrs of CPO so if you get that based upon the in-service date prior to the 'up to 7yrs' then that's all you get. A little confusing, but I got it.

If the in-service date was 12/1/2017 and todays date is 2/4/2021, they can offer me 2yrs from today which would be 2/4/2023 and would not offer me up through 12/1/2024 without there being a charge for me to pay for that additional coverage.

I don't feel like coming up with dates to illustrate a scenario where you cannot get 2yrs due to the in-service date possibly being months earlier than the model year, but I would imagine that can happen as well.

I would be shocked if the JLR dealer did not call the OP back about the car. (unless it ended really ugly)

my .02

Old 02-04-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

There are 2 F-types for sale by Jaguar dealers in Atlanta right now at just under KBB market values, and I'm in the market. Thing is, they are branded titles, so the dealer is selling CPO and with a 6/100 warranty, same exact wording as you stated. My opinion is that is the only way they will get anywhere close to market price for those vehicles, and even then it will have to be discounted more heavily for me to bite.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bird67
Hi F1 et al: Here's the denouement.

1. I'm done with this deal. Today the dealer doubled-down on what it calls "miscommunication." It will not budge from 6/100. It wants $1250 for 7/100. It will not offer fewer miles on the warranty, such as 7/60 or 7/100. Then, today, it ADDED a $599 doc fee to the deal.

Before you howl and say "all dealers have doc fees." And you're right, most do. Except our deal already accounted for it. In our written negotiations, so I had them to refer back to, the dealer dropped the price to $51. This means, of course, $51,599. I came up to $49. This means, of course, $49,599. I offered to split the difference, specifically saying $50,000 plus $599 doc fee. Dealer agreed, then asked me for my drivers license so it could write it up. Today, though, same dealer and same salesperson wrote"oh, no, it's $50,599 PLUS 599 doc fee...we NEVER waive our doc fee."

I didn't bother to argue. I replied, "we're done. Keep the car."

2. If anyone wants the car, it's at RAY CATANA JAGUAR in Edison, NJ. It is a blue manual S. It's a very nice car, and it will probably make you might be very happy. The advertised price is $58,995, unchanged since it hit the market in November. After our back and forth periodically over a few weeks, the dealer, as of today when it added the $599 into the deal (again), the dealer is willing to take $50,599 + $599 doc fee, with 6/100 CPO, $1250 for the seventh year.

3. F1, to answer your question, this was to be my first F-Type. I've rented three F-Types from Turo before. I don't love the color of this one, and I think it's overpriced, but I've looked for a while and decided to dive in on this one if it could be bought at a price I liked.

4. I won't be buying a Jaguar. This encounter confirmed my preformed biases about the brand - JLR dealers make you feel like they are doing you a service by allowing you to become a JLR owner. That has been true of my experience with the local dealer, with those dealers I've called about other JLR motor cars, and of course, here with Ray Catana.

As Mahjik put it: "Dealers suck. They aren't your friend and they aren't trying to get you a good deal. If you like the car, buy it and move on. If you don't, find one you do like. Someone will buy that car from that dealer. If I never bought a car from a dealer because I thought they were buttheads, I'd never buy any car. Focus on the car and determine if it's the one for you or not and ignore the dealer's salesperson."

Following Mahjik's wise words, my gut says move on. So I am.
HA - Ray catena! Jersey Boys at it again....

Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts
Default “But I don’t want undercoat”

See the scene in Fargo where the couple are trying to buy a car with out the extra undercoat.

As noted in another post, word play by the dealer. (Clearly he’s not an English major and a good attorney would have a field day with the wording.) BS aside if your happy with the car and you want it, hold your nose and take the deal. (Personally the “take it or leave it” comment by the dealer really puts a sour taste in my mouth. I usually walk when confronted with ultimatums by dealers, but that’s me.)

good luck with the new Jag.

Jaguar dealer advertises its '17 F-Type as "Jaguar Factory Certified." Here's the actual wording for this car from the ad: "Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Details: * Warranty Deductible: $0 * Roadside Assistance * Vehicle History * 165 Point Inspection * Transferable Warranty * Limited Warranty: Up to 7 Year/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date."

Since the i-service date is 7/31/17, I assume that seven years means CPO to 7/31/24. But after we reach agreement on numbers, dealer writes that CPO is only to 7/31/23. I assume it's a simple mistake and say, essentially, I think you mean 7/31/24. Here's the exact text exchange:

Me: This car went in service 7/31/17. Seven years brings it to 7/31/24. Please confirm that the dealership is putting a proper Jaguar-backed 7/100 CPO on it...I understand mistakes happen, so I want clarity that its CPO warranty runs to 7/31/24?

Jaguar dealer: Hi, it's no mistake, you can purchase the ended 1 year warranty! It is UP to 7 years so we are paying for the extra 1 year bringing it to 6!

Me: I assumed, as I think most people would, that "up to" means if you get to 100,000 before year 7, you won't get the rest of the seven years. Honestly, holding back a year when your own ad specifically says 7 years seems shady.

Jaguar dealer: That is Jaguars warranty, you can do up to 7 years CPO on Jaguar. Some dealerships have the customer pay for any sort of warranty extension...we are already giving you a great deal, take it or leave it. If you want to pay for a seventh year I will send you the price.

So what does F-Type (x152) Forum think? Shady AF, or normal business? I'm open-minded.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaguar dealer advertises its '17 F-Type as "Jaguar Factory Certified." Here's the actual wording for this car from the ad: "Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Details: * Warranty Deductible: $0 * Roadside Assistance * Vehicle History * 165 Point Inspection * Transferable Warranty * Limited Warranty: Up to 7 Year/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first) from original in-service date."

Since the i-service date is 7/31/17, I assume that seven years means CPO to 7/31/24. But after we reach agreement on numbers, dealer writes that CPO is only to 7/31/23. I assume it's a simple mistake and say, essentially, I think you mean 7/31/24. Here's the exact text exchange:

Me: This car went in service 7/31/17. Seven years brings it to 7/31/24. Please confirm that the dealership is putting a proper Jaguar-backed 7/100 CPO on it...I understand mistakes happen, so I want clarity that its CPO warranty runs to 7/31/24?

Jaguar dealer: Hi, it's no mistake, you can purchase the ended 1 year warranty! It is UP to 7 years so we are paying for the extra 1 year bringing it to 6!

Me: I assumed, as I think most people would, that "up to" means if you get to 100,000 before year 7, you won't get the rest of the seven years. Honestly, holding back a year when your own ad specifically says 7 years seems shady.

Jaguar dealer: That is Jaguars warranty, you can do up to 7 years CPO on Jaguar. Some dealerships have the customer pay for any sort of warranty extension...we are already giving you a great deal, take it or leave it. If you want to pay for a seventh year I will send you the price.

So what does F-Type (x152) Forum think? Shady AF, or normal business? I'm open-minded.
I think this is shady as well. Overall, I think Jaguar has one of the best CPO programs. However, I have given up working with the Jaguar dealership near me so much so that it has prevented me from ever buying a Jaguar again.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

As you can see in my signature, I own 2 Jags. Purchased both use. 1 from a dealer and 1 private. I negotiate for a living. What I see here is a buyer not attentive to detail and a sales person doing the usual routine. The $599 should have been clear from the beginning. The term "up to" is clearly open ended and buyer should have clarified what it meant at the stare. My impression is that the buyer here was a sloppy negotiator and it bit him in the butt.

I did not buy either car from Catena (they did not have what I wanted) but I use them for service. I have been very pleased with their service work and the way their treat me as a customer even though I did not buy from them.

Carbuff2 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
As you can see in my signature, I own 2 Jags. Purchased both use. 1 from a dealer and 1 private. I negotiate for a living. What I see here is a buyer not attentive to detail and a sales person doing the usual routine. The $599 should have been clear from the beginning. The term "up to" is clearly open ended and buyer should have clarified what it meant at the stare. My impression is that the buyer here was a sloppy negotiator and it bit him in the butt.

I did not buy either car from Catena (they did not have what I wanted) but I use them for service. I have been very pleased with their service work and the way their treat me as a customer even though I did not buy from them.
Makes sense. Personally, I find it easier dealing with other brands. We recently decided to get a BMW X5 over a Range Rover Sport or F-Pace primarily because of the JLR dealer experience. I guess I am done with the brand, but I am glad to see they are doing better as a company. Here the dealer should have kept it's word.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the market for a manual F-Type and have seen this car advertised but not pursued it since I thought the asking price was way, way too high! I know manuals are getting to be hard to find but still, even at the price you negotiated, that's high for that car. Dealer was really greedy -- your offer was more than fair!

bird67 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

When I got my CPO SportBrake in 2019 the dealer was very up-front that the CPO warranty was up to 6 years from In-service date, which was 01/19, it had sat on their lot for 1 year and they made it CPO with 375 Miles. I bought it in June 2019, the 1-year extension cost is negotiable of course, we agreed on an even $1K which seemed fair. Now I'm covered up to 01/2026

Quick Reply: Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"