F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my Jaguar Factory Certified 2007 XK Coupe it came with a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty starting from when the car was sold to the original owner. I bought it with 7000 miles on it and a year old, therefor it had 93,000 miles and 6 years left on the warranty.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that everyone on this forum knows The Game when you talk to the nice salesman about buying a car. I don't fault the OP at all.

That being said, the 3 JLR dealers I've dealt with either don't know how to sell cars, or frankly just don't care if they do or not. Stereotypes....any stereotypes....are boring and mundane and just wasteful when they are validated.

Dear Diary-Went to buy a luxury car and got into an existential debate about whether "7 years" actually means "6 years." And then they charged me a different price than agreed upon.

Sad.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

For what it's worth, I find the phrase actively misleading because it seems to include a clarification.

"Up to 7 Year/100,000 Mile (whichever comes first)" seems to say the "Up to" depends on "whichever comes first", not on whether the dealership wants to offer a 7 Year warranty.

IMO this practice should be legally actionable on the grounds that a reasonable person will expect to get 7 years out of this if they stay under 100k miles.

But yeah, at the end of the day it's a take it or leave it deal, and this fishy phrasing only adds reason to leave it. If the dealership or the company is being screwy with this phrasing are they going to be screwy with their mechanical service?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When I bought my CPO in 2011, Jaguar were advertising "6 years or 100k miles," whichever comes first. At that time there was no "up to" language. (I still have the ad from the Wall Street Journal in my glovebox!) Like you, I would've assumed the current deal is 7 years or 100k, whichever comes first. If I was buying this car, I would've liked the dealer to walk me through terms a bit earlier in the process, definitely before we discussed price, as CPO years could theoretically vary from car to car on the same dealer's lot. At least you found out now and not as the contract was being written up. I personally don't like the "take it or leave it" comment, that's cold. Far more positive ways to get that point across. Still, if this is "the" car for you, perhaps take the emotion out of the deal and decide if it's still a good offer now that you have that piece of information. Would you have purchased the car if he divulged the six years earlier in the process? Reminds me of a story our realtor told us about a buyer walking away from a house late in the dance when seller and buyer couldn't agree if the dining room chandelier would stay or go. She was shaking her head. Lost the sale over the chandelier!

Last edited by GregW; 02-04-2021 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
robertorolfo (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a CPO 2018 XF S Sportbrake back in December 2020. They were up front about the 7th year coverage being additional but they also chose to "throw it in" because of how eager they were to sell the car.

My problem is that they never provided any documentation like JagWire_5280 posted regarding the coverage dates before I left the dealer. Probably partly my fault for not checking before I left with the vehicle (we were at the dealer for 6 hours and my family and I were exhausted), but I've been trying to get them to provide me with the documentation for the past 2 months. All I got was "the service department said that the CPO documentation has on backorder and we'll get you it when we can." But in referencing JagWire's post, that obviously doesn't look like something that needs to be backordered. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Old 02-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I'm happy to see that "shady" is still a mainstay of the New England vernacular.

Getting more serious though...

Originally Posted by bird67
OP here. To be precise about "take it or leave it," here is exactly what dealer said:
I am working very hard to sell you this car. If you are not happy with the car or the warranty I cannot do anything further. We are giving you a better deal than I've ever seen on a certified preowned car - one of only a few in the country. I can get you pricing for the 7th year CPO if you are still interested but that is not something we can also pay for as we have discounted the car past what we own it for since you have been so persistent on this car and I want you to have it.
As others have pointed out, that is absolute nonsense to the point of being insulting. I recently discovered a sub-reddit (I know, reddit, but bear with me) run by car salespeople. The idea of that particular forum is to help everyday people with the car buying process by answering their questions with expert inside knowledge. In the process, they are hoping to dispel the negative feelings most have toward car dealers and the car buying process.

Well, let's just say that they fail quite miserably when it comes to 'winning hearts and minds,' and perhaps most worryingly, they have no idea why they are failing. They are entrenched in their own little world, and they genuinely struggle to look at their actions from an objective outside perspective. And if you dare question their attitudes or methods, they try to dismiss you as clueless or needlessly critical.

As it pertains to the OP's experience, and some of the other experiences shared, it seems like most of these dealers and salespeople really struggle to understand some of the customers they are dealing with. While I'm sure they spend a lot of time dealing with ill-informed customers that don't really know much about cars and/or the process, it's incredible that they would then take this baseline approach of being superior in knowledge to customers and apply it across the board. Even after you talk to them a little and try to make it clear you know the subject matter and have researched the market, they still usually insist on talking to you like you are an idiot.

One of the interesting things about that reddit page is all the salespeople asking for advice from other salespeople on which brand of car is the best to sell. Reading their questions and responses, it is clear to them that pretty much all of the major brands are interchangeable in their eyes. All they care about is commissions and payouts, and so it doesn't matter if you are selling Hyundais or Jaguars, it's all pretty much the same means to an end. That your average Hyundai buyer is going to be quite different to your average Jaguar buyer, is completely lost on them. (And just to be clear, I'm not talking about how wealthy the respective buyers are, but solely about their approach to the cars and what they are expecting from ownership).

Old 02-04-2021, 02:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Gents, if you really want a shock ask the dealer for the warranty information, especially the exclusions - they are as long as your arm. The CPO is probably good for engine and gearbox as long as you take it to the dealer for service. My 2014 XKR-S had a few months of CPO left on it when I bought it. Tried to get a few things covered before it expired - small things, the dealer printed out the warranty details and sent me on my way.

Just saying!

Steve

Old 02-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shady AF. Walk away.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Damn...I didn’t know we had so many novelists on the forum now.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The conversation When I purchased my CPO 2017 R was almost word for word. Better yet...take a look at the details of what is (isn't) covered under the extended. LOTs of exceptions. I've got at least 3 emails asking the salesperson for the details with the response of "What's on the JLR site is what is covered"...but the website doesn't list the long list of exceptions. Finally did get it from them after I insisted there was more to it.
But i've had bad experiences with almost all Dealers. Top of list is Hyundai. Great cars with abhorrent dealers. I've also had a BMW dealer tell me my lightbulbs kept blowing because I hit too many potholes. But the best was the Audi service manager that told me the front tires on my S4 wore unevenly because I drove on "overly crowned" roads. WOW!

robertorolfo (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Damn...I didn’t know we had so many novelists on the forum now.
Nothing unites people more than the hate of car sales people.

robertorolfo (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 07:19 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

OP - you should simply send this forum link to the sleezebags at the dealership so they can see what wonderful press they're getting!

Old 02-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

All dealers/dealerships' sales are about the same, nothing special about Jaguar.
Just ignore the "up to X yrs...", just have them print out the original first in-service date, example: July 1, 2017, then add 5 yr's orig factory expiration: July 1, 2022.
Then ask for the exact date of CPO expiration, if it's July 1, 2023, it's 6 yr; if it's July 1, 2024, then it's 7 yr. Then make your purchase price decision accordingly, since there's no "miscommunication".
Second, for the past 20+ car purchases for all of our family members over the past 30 yrs, we've always negotiated "final walk out price", so that way there'll be so surprises in the finance office. No need to negotiate on the various padded dealer accessories add-ons & doc fees, etc....

Old 02-07-2021, 03:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Haha....That is even worse/more dishonest. No dealer, or any other business is going to sell items for less than they cost the business...That is a business model doomed to fail immediately. It's not like these are hard to sell....But - "we have discounted the car past what we own it for since you have been so persistent on this car and I want you to have it". Now that, is funny! Thanks for sharing...

DC
Back in the 70's I worked for a small Datsun/Volvo dealer in the midwest. There was a large Pontiac dealer in town that advertised "Buy from us, we lose money on every car, but make it up in volume." I am not making this up, this was their verbiage in their TV and radio ads. Made me laugh back then, and still does whenever I see that kind of stuff. I should add, even though we were a small dealership, we had the highest gross margin per vehicle sold for Volvo in the entire US. Talk about driving hard bargains, these guys were good. I should also add they were honest to a fault. I was service and parts manager, the owners were the only sales people. We simply never cheated anyone, on sales or service. While service departments have become profit centers, the owners' stated goal was for the service and parts department to "100% absorption" which meant if we covered the cost of operating expenses, they were happy. Times change.

Interesting fact (to me, at least): they got into the Datsun business in 1968 for a $10,000 investment. They agreed to floor plan 4 new Datsuns and buy a $5000 parts package. When the Arab oil embargo if 1973 hit, there were GM dealers from all over the country offering to buy their little dealership for millions. Which in 1973 was a fair amount of money.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

My understanding of the Jag F-Type USA warranty is as follows, based off of recently looking at 2 used vehicle and finally buying new:

1. New: as stated on the Jag website
BASIC/NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY (YEARS/MILES) 5/60,000 COMPLIMENTARY MAINTENANCE (YEARS/MILES) 5/60,000 (Sched.) BATTERY WARRANTY (BEV) (YEARS/MILES/STATE OF HEALTH) 8/100,000/70% POWERTRAIN WARRANTY (BEV) 5/60,000 ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (YEARS/MILES) 5/60,000 WARRANTY CORROSION (BEV) (YEARS/MILES) 6/Unlimited TELEMATICS (bCALL/eCALL) (YEARS/MILES) 5/Unlimited (bCall)
Unlimited (eCall)

2.. Used (not CPO): gets remainder of original warranty from date first owner purchased the vehicle. So a 2020 bought used in 2021 and originally purchased in 2019 gets between 3 and 4 years of remaining warranty depending on the actual date. It is my understanding from recent conversations at the Jag dealer that the only way to extend that used vehicle warranty is get the car "certified' when purchased from the dealer. It also my understanding that the cost of certification is about $2.5K before you pay for the additional 1 or 2 years of extended warranty. I think the first year warranty cots about $1.5K on top of the $2.5K but I do not know the cost of the 2 nd year extension.

3. A CPO vehicle comes with the remainder of the original warranty which may be extended by paying the $1.5K for the first extension year and some what more for the 2 nd year.

It is important when reading ads or talking to dealers to realize that "up to" is not the same as " included."

I looked at 2020 with 1500 miles . It was not certified so the cost to even get back to 5 year warranty mark would have been another $4K. I ended up getting an $8K incentive from Jag that actually made it cheaper to buy new.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OP checking in

I was asked whether this dismal experience with JLR would sour me on the brand. I replied yes, because a brand so blatantly shady when selling you a car will logically be much worse after the sale.

I'm happy to report that I have satisfied my desire for a high performance, manual transmission convertible at a Chevy dealer. This weekend I will be taking delivery of a CPO 2016 convertible Corvette Z51, 2LT with NPP exhaust, seven speed manual transmission, only 1024 miles on the odometer. The dealership has been uniformly pleasant, transparent, and easy to deal with. Such a difference from Catana who made me feel they were doing me a grand favor by allowing me to sully their showroom.

​​​​​

Old 02-12-2021, 03:57 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bird67
I was asked whether this dismal experience with JLR would sour me on the brand. I replied yes, because a brand so blatantly shady when selling you a car will logically be much worse after the sale.

I'm happy to report that I have satisfied my desire for a high performance, manual transmission convertible at a Chevy dealer. This weekend I will be taking delivery of a CPO 2016 convertible Corvette Z51, 2LT with NPP exhaust, seven speed manual transmission, only 1024 miles on the odometer. The dealership has been uniformly pleasant, transparent, and easy to deal with. Such a difference from Catana who made me feel they were doing me a grand favor by allowing me to sully their showroom.

​​​​​
CONGRATS and good choice! Interestingly, I sold my XF-R (wish I still had it!!) and bought a 2015 Z06 3LZ. The driving experience and power are amazing! I found mine on the internet at Sir Walter Chevrolet in N.C. and the experience was excellent. My sales rep. stayed until 11 pm as my shipper arrived late. I am now friends with him on FB as we forged a cool relationship. The XF-R was classy, though high maintenance. The vette is amazing from a performance perspective and gets more comments, though both were attention grabbers.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MarkN
CONGRATS and good choice! Interestingly, I sold my XF-R (wish I still had it!!) and bought a 2015 Z06 3LZ. The driving experience and power are amazing! I found mine on the internet at Sir Walter Chevrolet in N.C. and the experience was excellent. My sales rep. stayed until 11 pm as my shipper arrived late. I am now friends with him on FB as we forged a cool relationship. The XF-R was classy, though high maintenance. The vette is amazing from a performance perspective and gets more comments, though both were attention grabbers.
It is funny how consistently the shipping process sours what is otherwise a grand and enjoyable experience. Mine is to be shipped, too, and I think the shippers make JLR dealers look like paragons of truth and virtue. Shockingly, my shipper has been unable to deliver on his promises, and I have to find another (at least no up front money paid). Meanwhile, though, the sellers at Mangino Chevrolet in Amsterdam, NY are solid gold. The negotiation went like this: What can you give me off your listing price? We can give you X. Okay, that seems fair enough. But what do you add for dealer fees, nitrogen in tires, etc? Nothing. That's the price. Ok, done. Since then - photos, a video, papers, money, all changed hands with great responsiveness, happiness, and genuine pleasure on their end with how excited I am to get this car. And of course they will keep my car indoors while we sort out the shipping nonsense.

As for the car...both the F-Type and C7 Corvette were on my radar. I started off favoring the F-Type. That didn't last, for previously defined reasons. I think going forward I will continue to get my F-Type fix with Turo rentals (when normal travel resumes post-Covid). I have had a blast with F-Type Turo rentals in the past! Such a great way to experience the car without having to deal with JLR attitude.

DJS (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I made the mistake of going on-line to look for shippers (NC to MA). Got inundated with texts, calls and emails from people all over the planet. Estimates (not firm quotes) ranged from $400 to $2,500 for about 900 miles in a covered trailer.
I came to realize that no matter what they said, everybody contacting me was simply a middle man broker, not a driver or organization with its own fleet. So the way it seems to work is they bid out your job for as little as possible, then ramp up till they snag a driver willing to take the load.
The lower they are able to secure the load the more the broker makes.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up using the broker known to the Jag dealer. Perhaps I paid more ($1400) than the minimum but it turned out extremely well.
The car was collected as promised (next day) and delivered within 24 hours. The driver was extremely conscientious, to the extent that he identified and documented 3 very minor paint blems when he collected the car and provided me that documentation on delivery.
The car was delivered in a closed 2-car trailer with last-in, first-out, so no on-off during the trip.
Needless to say the dealer agreed to fix the paint marks once I get it to the paint correction shop - just some buffing and polishing.
So, perhaps I could have got the same service for $1200 - who knows. But I know I would not have got it for $400!!

The following 2 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
Carbuff2 (02-12-2021), MarkN (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I made the mistake of going on-line to look for shippers (NC to MA). Got inundated with texts, calls and emails from people all over the planet. Estimates (not firm quotes) ranged from $400 to $2,500 for about 900 miles in a covered trailer.
I came to realize that no matter what they said, everybody contacting me was simply a middle man broker, not a driver or organization with its own fleet. So the way it seems to work is they bid out your job for as little as possible, then ramp up till they snag a driver willing to take the load.
The lower they are able to secure the load the more the broker makes.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up using the broker known to the Jag dealer. Perhaps I paid more ($1400) than the minimum but it turned out extremely well.
The car was collected as promised (next day) and delivered within 24 hours. The driver was extremely conscientious, to the extent that he identified and documented 3 very minor paint blems when he collected the car and provided me that documentation on delivery.
The car was delivered in a closed 2-car trailer with last-in, first-out, so no on-off during the trip.
Needless to say the dealer agreed to fix the paint marks once I get it to the paint correction shop - just some buffing and polishing.
So, perhaps I could have got the same service for $1200 - who knows. But I know I would not have got it for $400!!
Shipping is clearly the bugaboo of the national marketing of cars. Thanks to what has become really good on-line marketing through autotrader, cargurus, etc, dealers in the middle of nowhere are suddenly nationally prominent players. It has leveled the playing field in a really positive way on so many levels. But once you complete the purchase, suddenly you are dumped into this difficult underworld of brokers, agents and shippers. You have to have a stomach for it. Many people don't - and hence, Carvana is suddenly a national player.

Even now, i don't know if my car is being picked up today, tomorrow, or at all. And i have a relatively GOOD agent, in that at least he keeps me informed and answers questions with some level of transparency.

Quick Reply: Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"