Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar CPO - does 7/100 mean 7/100? Dealer says "no"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by bird67
You have to have a stomach for it. Many people don't - and hence, Carvana is suddenly a national player.
Anybody used VROOM?

https://www.vroom.com/

Old 02-13-2021, 05:21 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

OMG - I have bought 3 cars online and had them shipped. ALL nightmare, but if you understand that they always get to you (late) and the companies are all a PIA. They all use the same job boards when you call or post you need to be shipped which creates a feeding frenzy of shady businesses. I will say - while getting here late (never more than a couple / few days) I pay what was quoted. For my 1st Jaguar I had to drive 20 minutes to meet the guy even though I paid for door to door delivery.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I made the mistake of going on-line to look for shippers (NC to MA). Got inundated with texts, calls and emails from people all over the planet. Estimates (not firm quotes) ranged from $400 to $2,500 for about 900 miles in a covered trailer.
I came to realize that no matter what they said, everybody contacting me was simply a middle man broker, not a driver or organization with its own fleet. So the way it seems to work is they bid out your job for as little as possible, then ramp up till they snag a driver willing to take the load.
The lower they are able to secure the load the more the broker makes.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up using the broker known to the Jag dealer. Perhaps I paid more ($1400) than the minimum but it turned out extremely well.
The car was collected as promised (next day) and delivered within 24 hours. The driver was extremely conscientious, to the extent that he identified and documented 3 very minor paint blems when he collected the car and provided me that documentation on delivery.
The car was delivered in a closed 2-car trailer with last-in, first-out, so no on-off during the trip.
Needless to say the dealer agreed to fix the paint marks once I get it to the paint correction shop - just some buffing and polishing.
So, perhaps I could have got the same service for $1200 - who knows. But I know I would not have got it for $400!!
I paid $475 for my Vette from Raleigh, NC to Hartford, CT Memorial Day weekend 2019! I paid $600 for my XFR from Cleveland OH to Hartford CT a few years prior. Never a problem with damage, etc. I am cheap and hate losing all my negotiated savings on the car in shipping!

Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello...looking at a 2018 f-type at a jaguar dealer but its not CPO....so my questions are?
will they go thru it and check it?
can they make it a CPO ...at what costs?
can I buy an extended warranty from the dealer or another dealer and where do you recommend..when i bought my jeep grande cherokee i bought extended warranty from another dealer in michgan for alot cheaper...

thanks

Old 03-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

My car was shipped/delivered February 5th. Today, March 26, I got 2 more calls/texts/VMs about moving my car!!!
These people are like cockroaches - you can never get rid of them!!

Old 03-26-2021, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by wboughman
hello...looking at a 2018 f-type at a jaguar dealer but its not CPO....so my questions are?
can I buy an extended warranty from the dealer or another dealer and where do you recommend..when i bought my jeep grande cherokee i bought extended warranty from another dealer in michgan for alot cheaper...

thanks
Yes - they can CPO it if it meets the requirements (no accident / body damage etc). Think it ends up around $1000 to CPO it and about $1000-1500 for each additional year you add, up to max of 7 from in service date. But that's negotiable
In theory you can buy extended warranty plans from any dealer and many other sources. I've done the CPO a couple of times in the past as I trust that Jag will do right by me if it's needed (whereas other warranty plans might decide to deny coverage etc)

Old 03-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

I was told $2500 for the CPO but I am guessing it depends on what they replace to get to CPO status -eg tires. brakes, etc. etc.
Nothing is free!!

Old 03-27-2021, 05:15 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

We are a couple weeks and 300 miles from being out of factory warranty. Have 1 year of CPO from PO. I was just quoted $5,300 to add 3 more years.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

So Robtrt8, do you mean a total of 8 years, and is it a Jaguar warranty extension?
Reason I ask is that I am getting a bit confused by the various warranty coverage periods.
On new Jags, the standard (in US) seems to be 5 years.
My understanding is that you can only buy a Jaguar extension up to a maximum of 7 years total.

If the vehicle was pre-owned you can only buy an extension if the car was purchased as a CPO from a Jaguar dealer.
I do not believe that the CPO status is transferable, though if the PO had already purchased the extended warranty, I would expect that to be transferable.

It also seems from other posts that perhaps the standard Jaguar warranty was previously 6 years in the US or Europe.
Not clear if this is correct?

Clearly, there are other insurance companies offering extended warranties. I am only referring to the Jaguar dealer warranty extension.

Finally, if you can get a 3 year Jaguar dealer warranty extension for $5,300 on a 5 year old car, I would jump at it!!
Just be clear as to what is really included. It may not be as comprehensive as the original warranty. Apart from any other items, I do not believe it includes free maintenance/services..

Old 03-27-2021, 06:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It also seems from other posts that perhaps the standard Jaguar warranty was previously 6 years in the US or Europe.
In the UK we get a whole 3 years warranty, and can extend it annually (not sure how many times) for about £1000.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by wboughman

thanks
My experience is CPO costs close to $2,000 but is often worth it. Read the fins print or do a search hear - lots of discussion 6 years versus 7and what you REALLY get. I have bought 2 high end cars online sight unseen and wanted CPO for those reasons. One was my XF-R. That motor eventually ceased at 70K and the fact it was CPO and I did all suggested maintenance AT Jaguar helped my case. My other CPO is my current ride a Corvette Z06.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Original warranty 5 yrs/ 60,000 miles. Car was driven by JLR rep in Souther California for 5,000 miles then transferred to West Palm and sold. Car was then sold with a 1 year CPO and went to Cincinnati. Then found it’s way to Northern Chicago and then to a used car dealer in Joliet where I bought it. The 1 year CPO transfers to us. We can extend the CPO while it still has factory warranty for said $5,300 for a 3 year extension.
My co-owner, gainfully employed, Chem Degree son and I discussed it and decided to pass. Cost of ownership looks different when you’re only on the hook for 1/2 the bill. We will do diff and tranny fluids way early and engine oil early and hope for the best.

When I was looking at XC90 V8’s in 2008 I was offered an aftermarket warranty on an ‘05. I asked the Volvo dealer if they would deal with that warranty company and they said NO. CPO or nothing. So I got a 2006 CPO moose. The CPO was $2,000 for 3 years/100,000 miles and I basically broke even on the deal.

I wouldn’t waist any money on an after market warranty. 1st, we have a mansion here at the lake built by one of the US Fidelis A holes.
. He sits in Federal Prison for fraud. 2nd, when I was picking up my Cayenne from it’s post buy inspection at my Porsche wrench’s shop he mentioned the local warranty company (Car Shield) wasn’t covering a clients tranny because she couldn’t produce ALL of the car’s maintenance records. Something they didn’t mention when they sold here the warranty on a 90,000 mile third hand car.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I was told $2500 for the CPO but I am guessing it depends on what they replace to get to CPO status -eg tires. brakes, etc. etc.
Nothing is free!!
That matches my experience if that's CPO plus one additional year (ie taking the Jag 5 year to 6 year). Adding another year beyond that is typically 1000-1500

CPO refers to the certification when resold. So that doesn't mean much if you then resell it again. But the extended warranty element is transferable.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Nothing is free!!
The CPO cost is one thing, the price to bring a car up to spec is another. You will find the 7th year coverage is quite a bit more money.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Default shady

shady AF, as the kids say. glad you didn't buy it.

when i bought mine new in 2019 i looked all over the country. what i learned from personal experience and this forum is that NJ dealers are very poorly regarded. on the other hand, i dealt with many very helpful and seemingly honest people. i had good luck with guys in florida, california and washington state. NJ and texas suck...