F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Dealership, Simcard, and Software updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar Dealership, Simcard, and Software updates

Hello, I was hoping someone could offer me some guidance on an issue I'm facing. I'm located in the United States and own a 2018 Jaguar F-type R.

I've been attempting to acquire a SIM card for my vehicle to enable mobile data and hotspot features. When I contacted the dealership, they quoted an $80 fee, which I was fine with. However, they also mentioned that they would require two hours of labor to perform software updates. This part seemed a bit questionable to me.

Would anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to navigate this situation? Thank you

Old 09-09-2023, 05:28 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,473 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I'm in the UK and just bought an ordinary phone SIM (rolling monthly contract) for my MY18 R which works fine. Some SIMs need to be registered in 'phone before use, though. Regarding software updates, there were a couple of updates for the MY18 - one to add Carplay and Android Auto to all vehicles, and a second to remove it from those with the 8" display with physical buttons down the sides, since JLR discovered that CP and AA would only work on the 10" screen stock versions. No fee to the dealer for the SIM, and the software updates were, at the time, also free.

Hopefully, someone from your region can chip in with specific details for you.

The following users liked this post:
justb4013 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 406 Posts

You can get a free sim card from the mobile provider and it goes in a slot in the center cubby. AT&T was JLR's initial vendor of choice, but others on the same technology will work.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:25 AM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I went through this about 9 months ago when I purchased my 2018 FTR. You need to contact InControl Data Services -- and you may need to upgrade to 4G to get your navigation working correctly. In my case, my car was still set up for 3G (which no longer works) and had to have the dealer install a 4G module. If you still have the original SIM card that came with the car DO NOT DISCARD IT -- you may be one step ahead of the game if you have it. Do not attempt to use a SIM card issued by ATT - it has to come from Jaguar. Don't ask me how I know.....

Here is a complete thread about getting the data services / SIM card / navigation working:

Navigation - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The direct tech line to ATT / InControl Data Services for your car is 866-595-1222. The techs I spoke with seem very helpful and fairly competent -- YMMV. Good luck

Old 09-10-2023, 01:41 AM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

After re-reading your initial post, I would think that if the Jaguar dealership could get the system working and updated for only 80.00 --- GO FOR IT. Many others -- including myself -- spent a lot of time and patience figuring out all the ins and outs required to get the system running and -- in my case -- had to have the car go to the dealership in the end for a hardware / software update anyway. If the dealer can do it for 80.00, it's well worth the investment.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I've been going through a similar ordeal with my 2019. It sounds like everyone has slightly different experiences.

In my case, the SIM card it came with wouldn't do anything. At their advice, I got an ATT sim card with a monthly plan. I spent hours on the phone with InControl and ATT, both insisting it should work but no luck. And bizarrely, there's absolutely no way to connect to WIFI.

They finally said they would need to have it in the shop to do it manually, and it would take about 3 hours. Unfortunately, I couldn't go without my car for another day at the time, and since then my warranty has lapsed. If I could bring it in and pay them $80 bucks to get it over with, I'd do it in a heartbeat (I just don't trust that dealer anymore and decided it wasn't worth it).

In any case the 2 hours appears legit. Mine already has Android Auto and I'm not sure what it is I would gain other than updated maps, so I'm folding my hands for now. Good luck

Old 09-10-2023, 05:36 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Dealer has had my 2016 for 3 months now to get InControl working. Been waiting a month for a module to arrive...

Old 12-10-2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by justb4013
Hello, I was hoping someone could offer me some guidance on an issue I'm facing. I'm located in the United States and own a 2018 Jaguar F-type R.

I've been attempting to acquire a SIM card for my vehicle to enable mobile data and hotspot features. When I contacted the dealership, they quoted an $80 fee, which I was fine with. However, they also mentioned that they would require two hours of labor to perform software updates. This part seemed a bit questionable to me.

Would anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to navigate this situation? Thank you
******* UPDATE ON THE SIM CARD ACQUISITION *******Obtaining the SIM Card:
  • After some exploration, I reached out to a dealer in another state. They clarified that no update was necessary to obtain a SIM card and data plan for my vehicle. I successfully purchased the SIM card through their assistance. As a delightful bonus, they also sent me a variety of "Jag Swag" - a variety of accessories.
Activating the SIM Card:
  • Upon the SIM card's arrival, I contacted AT&T to initiate a "Connect to Car" account. For this process, I provided the following information:
  1. SIM Card Details
  2. Vehicle's IMEI Number
  3. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Following the setup process with their help, the vehicle data has been successfully integrated and is now functioning perfectly.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:39 PM

• After some exploration, I reached out to a dealer in another state. They clarified that no update was necessary to obtain a SIM card and data plan for my vehicle. I successfully purchased the SIM card through their assistance. As a delightful bonus, they also sent me a variety of "Jag Swag" - a variety of accessories.
Activating the SIM Card:
  • Upon the SIM card's arrival, I contacted AT&T to initiate a "Connect to Car" account. For this process, I provided the following information:
  1. SIM Card Details
  2. Vehicle's IMEI Number
Following the setup process with their help, the vehicle data has been successfully integrated and is now functioning perfectly.
z

Old 12-10-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I'm in the UK and just bought an ordinary phone SIM (rolling monthly contract) for my MY18 R which works fine. Some SIMs need to be registered in 'phone before use, though. Regarding software updates, there were a couple of updates for the MY18 - one to add Carplay and Android Auto to all vehicles, and a second to remove it from those with the 8" display with physical buttons down the sides, since JLR discovered that CP and AA would only work on the 10" screen stock versions. No fee to the dealer for the SIM, and the software updates were, at the time, also free.

Activating the SIM Card:
  1. SIM Card Details
  2. Vehicle's IMEI Number

Old 12-10-2023, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mcphill
Dealer has had my 2016 for 3 months now to get InControl working. Been waiting a month for a module to arrive...
Originally Posted by blthomas
Hey, I've been going through a similar ordeal with my 2019. It sounds like everyone has slightly different experiences.

In my case, the SIM card it came with wouldn't do anything. At their advice, I got an ATT sim card with a monthly plan. I spent hours on the phone with InControl and ATT, both insisting it should work but no luck. And bizarrely, there's absolutely no way to connect to WIFI.

They finally said they would need to have it in the shop to do it manually, and it would take about 3 hours. Unfortunately, I couldn't go without my car for another day at the time, and since then my warranty has lapsed. If I could bring it in and pay them $80 bucks to get it over with, I'd do it in a heartbeat (I just don't trust that dealer anymore and decided it wasn't worth it).

In any case the 2 hours appears legit. Mine already has Android Auto and I'm not sure what it is I would gain other than updated maps, so I'm folding my hands for now. Good luck
Originally Posted by Dillweed
After re-reading your initial post, I would think that if the Jaguar dealership could get the system working and updated for only 80.00 --- GO FOR IT. Many others -- including myself -- spent a lot of time and patience figuring out all the ins and outs required to get the system running and -- in my case -- had to have the car go to the dealership in the end for a hardware / software update anyway. If the dealer can do it for 80.00, it's well worth the investment.
Originally Posted by Dillweed
I went through this about 9 months ago when I purchased my 2018 FTR. You need to contact InControl Data Services -- and you may need to upgrade to 4G to get your navigation working correctly. In my case, my car was still set up for 3G (which no longer works) and had to have the dealer install a 4G module. If you still have the original SIM card that came with the car DO NOT DISCARD IT -- you may be one step ahead of the game if you have it. Do not attempt to use a SIM card issued by ATT - it has to come from Jaguar. Don't ask me how I know.....

Here is a complete thread about getting the data services / SIM card / navigation working:

Navigation - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The direct tech line to ATT / InControl Data Services for your car is 866-595-1222. The techs I spoke with seem very helpful and fairly competent -- YMMV. Good luck
Originally Posted by uncheel
You can get a free sim card from the mobile provider and it goes in a slot in the center cubby. AT&T was JLR's initial vendor of choice, but others on the same technology will work.
Originally Posted by scm

Activating the SIM Card:
  1. SIM Card Details
  2. Vehicle's IMEI Number

PaulBarrrera (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 01:02 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

justb4013: Could you please share the details of the sim card purchase and installatio; IE: who is the dealer, sim card cost, time to get it and the department at ATT you were able to actually get help from? There are many of us who kinda just gave up and it looks like you beat the system and got results. Thank you in advance!

Old 12-10-2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaulBarrrera
justb4013: Could you please share the details of the sim card purchase and installatio; IE: who is the dealer, sim card cost, time to get it and the department at ATT you were able to actually get help from? There are many of us who kinda just gave up and it looks like you beat the system and got results. Thank you in advance!
I'd be happy to share the information with you. However, I am uncertain about the name or brand of the SIM card. I have to figure out where my girlfriend put the packaging for it. The sim card does say "AT&T Uverse"

Purchase Method: The SIM card was purchased by phone.
Location: The purchase was made at the Jaguar dealership in South Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Cost: The SIM card was priced at approximately $80, excluding tax.
Sim Card Type: "Uverse" I am assuming it's a universal SIM card from AT&T
Delivery Time: The SIM card was received in less than one week.
AT&T Department Contacted: In-car WiFi and Wireless Internet.
AT&T Contact Number: 1-844-941-3006.
AT&T data cost: $24.82 a month
AT&T phone call: I had a phone call with a representative from AT&T, and I found it surprisingly easy. It's usually difficult to get actual help from a person, but the lady I spoke with gave me clear and concise step-by-step instructions while staying on the phone with me. Although it didn't work right away, she promised to call me back in an hour. True to her word, she called back exactly an hour later and asked if I could check to see if it worked. After that, everything worked perfectly fine. I didn't experience any issues at all.

PaulBarrrera (12-10-2023)