F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type active exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar F-Type active exhaust

I do not own a Jaguar F Type yet but am looking into purchasing one. I will be traveling to Miami in a month and plan on renting one for a week. I have two options via the site Turo.com (which is excellent btw). The first is a 2017 Jaguar F type V-6 base and the other is a 2015 Jaguar F Type V-6 S. Neither car has the switch for the switchable active exhaust. My question is this (sorry for the long verbiage lol), WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE SOUNDS OF THE ACTIVE EXHAUST ALTHOUGH WITHOUT THE SWITCH? Some folks in other blogs/forums have stated it sounds the same after 4000 rpm. Just wanted to come to the best forum to ask. I thank all of you in advance. I understand when I purchase one I'll get one with the switch but this question is more so in regards to my rental experience.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ray,

As you have also posted another Intro thread, I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to F-Type forum. Members here will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Ray Vin (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are my 2 cents. My 2017 base did not come with the active exhaust (no button, no valves). Honestly, I would be happy in most cars with that exhaust but not the F Type because the F type is known for the sound. I upgraded to the active exhaust but because I don't have the button the valves are always open and it is always in loud mode. Pretty big difference though the difference is bigger from the outside. A bit of droning on the highway at 80mph but that went away when I got the VAP tune.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of aftermarket exhausts you can put on the base in addition to getting the active exhaust (velocity ap has some nice options). None of those mods should void your warranty.

For that reason, I would not worry about getting the base because it's one mod away from getting a great exhaust sound, possibly even better than stock.

Ray Vin (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Vin
I do not own a Jaguar F Type yet but am looking into purchasing one. I will be traveling to Miami in a month and plan on renting one for a week. I have two options via the site Turo.com (which is excellent btw). The first is a 2017 Jaguar F type V-6 base and the other is a 2015 Jaguar F Type V-6 S. Neither car has the switch for the switchable active exhaust. My question is this (sorry for the long verbiage lol), WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE SOUNDS OF THE ACTIVE EXHAUST ALTHOUGH WITHOUT THE SWITCH? Some folks in other blogs/forums have stated it sounds the same after 4000 rpm. Just wanted to come to the best forum to ask. I thank all of you in advance. I understand when I purchase one I'll get one with the switch but this question is more so in regards to my rental experience.
If your car has active exhaust (not switchable with the button on the center console), it only takes a few minutes to block the vacuum tubes and the the dash pots to force the exhaust gates into an always open state. I have a 2018 and it isn't even necessary to jack up the rear end in order to access the dash pots and vacuum lines.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by speedski
Here are my 2 cents. My 2017 base did not come with the active exhaust (no button, no valves). Honestly, I would be happy in most cars with that exhaust but not the F Type because the F type is known for the sound. I upgraded to the active exhaust but because I don't have the button the valves are always open and it is always in loud mode. Pretty big difference though the difference is bigger from the outside. A bit of droning on the highway at 80mph but that went away when I got the VAP tune.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of aftermarket exhausts you can put on the base in addition to getting the active exhaust (velocity ap has some nice options). None of those mods should void your warranty.

For that reason, I would not worry about getting the base because it's one mod away from getting a great exhaust sound, possibly even better than stock.
So in terms of what I am about to possibly rent next month, you're saying I should still hear some sort of performance sound from the exhaust?

Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Ray,

As you have also posted another Intro thread, I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to F-Type forum. Members here will be able to help.

Graham
Thank you brother...my apologies on that one.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

So in terms of what I am about to possibly rent next month, you're saying I should still hear some sort of performance sound from the exhaust?
Yes. The V6 base will sound great. It just gets better as you move up in the models.

Ray Vin (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes. Even the base exhaust sounds good, especially compared to most cars. If you want more noise, it’s an easy mod.

Ray Vin (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

If you’re looking to buy one, I’d suggest renting the base. If you’re happy with it, great. If you wish it had a bit more (power, perhaps noise, active dampers for a slightly softer ride on bad pavement, limited-slip diff), then the V6S is awesome. And there’s always the V8S or V8R, should you need a lot more power.

Or, you could do what many others have done, and tune the V6 or V6S to 400+ HP.

Ray Vin (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO, the F-Type comes to life with the Active Exhaust enabled. If it were me, the car would need to be equipped with Switchable Active Exhaust. The convenience of turning it off and on is ideal as the sound is quite different. It's nice to have the choice between a mellow sounding exhaust and the more aggressive note with the snaps, crackles and pops above 4K RPM's. Just my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by rexus31:
Buckingham (06-24-2018), Ray Vin (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Thank you so much fellas. You guys have been awesome with advice. So I'll probably go with the 2015 V-6 S when I rent the car in July. I'll let everyone know what my thoughts were afterwards.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:19 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a 2014 V6S, no button. To get it to crackle and pop, it has to be in both dynamic and sport mode. Use the paddle shifts to get it to 4000 rpm and rapidly lift off the gas. You will be breaking the law if you let the transmission shift itself to 4000.

If there is a button, the valves are completely open at all times when activated. With no button, the valves gradually open and are fully open at 4000. If you have a V6S with no button, you can pull a fuse (#43) under the passenger floorboard. However, the valves will be completely open in all rpm ranges. I pulled the fuse as an experiment and didn’t care for the sound at the low rpms. The button gives you more options.

However, if you do nothing, the exhaust is sounds lower with more grunting when you toggle between normal and dynamic mode.

Being one of the older members here, I’ve had my share of loud exhausts and actually like it when the car is quiet. If I were in a situation where I had to choose between the active exhaust and another desirable option - could have one but not both, I’d opt for the other option. For example, If I could have blind spot monitors or exhaust button, but not both, I would choose the blind spot monitors.

Ray Vin (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
If you have a V6S with no button, you can pull a fuse (#43) under the passenger floorboard. However, the valves will be completely open in all rpm ranges. I pulled the fuse as an experiment and didn’t care for the sound at the low rpms.
I pulled the fuse last fall (due to squeaky valves and the annoying buzzing from the vacuum pump.) Initially, I'd agree that it was annoyingly loud at low RPMs, which made it awkward driving around neighborhoods. But maybe it learned something as I adjusted my driving style - it's no longer loud at low RPM/load. I don't have to put my foot down much for it to get loud however, and it is loud. Does drone at highway speeds with top up - that's the major downside. Mostly, I like it without the fuse.

Ray Vin (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
I have a 2014 V6S, no button. To get it to crackle and pop, it has to be in both dynamic and sport mode. Use the paddle shifts to get it to 4000 rpm and rapidly lift off the gas. You will be breaking the law if you let the transmission shift itself to 4000.

If there is a button, the valves are completely open at all times when activated. With no button, the valves gradually open and are fully open at 4000. If you have a V6S with no button, you can pull a fuse (#43) under the passenger floorboard. However, the valves will be completely open in all rpm ranges. I pulled the fuse as an experiment and didn’t care for the sound at the low rpms. The button gives you more options.

However, if you do nothing, the exhaust is sounds lower with more grunting when you toggle between normal and dynamic mode.

Being one of the older members here, I’ve had my share of loud exhausts and actually like it when the car is quiet. If I were in a situation where I had to choose between the active exhaust and another desirable option - could have one but not both, I’d opt for the other option. For example, If I could have blind spot monitors or exhaust button, but not both, I would choose the blind spot monitors.
Brother I really appreciate that. That was very informational.

Jagged Wire (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I pulled the fuse last fall (due to squeaky valves and the annoying buzzing from the vacuum pump.) Initially, I'd agree that it was annoyingly loud at low RPMs, which made it awkward driving around neighborhoods. But maybe it learned something as I adjusted my driving style - it's no longer loud at low RPM/load. I don't have to put my foot down much for it to get loud however, and it is loud. Does drone at highway speeds with top up - that's the major downside. Mostly, I like it without the fuse.
So pulling fuse # 43 actually does work? This is why I came to this forum!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

It does on older models. They eliminated the electric vacuum pump and switched to using engine vacuum, somewhere around MY17. But there's still an electric solenoid for switching the vacuum to the valves - don't know if F43 still exists, and if that's the fuse that provides power to the solenoid.

Ray Vin (07-03-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:55 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

There is also a YouTube video of Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) driving a V6S and I noticed it had no button either. However, he was happily crackling and popping on a mountain road using high RPMs (and gas mileage suffering).

A lot of early FTypes, includiing the V8S did not have the button. Mine was built in July of 2013 and the vin ends in 05525. DJS, what are your last 5?

There is also a good number of early V8S’ with active exhaust and no button.

So Ray, keep us posted on what you will be driving, and your experience.

Ray Vin (07-03-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Switchable active exhaust was an option I didn't get. Active exhaust is/was standard on V6S/V8S. Don't have the F-type today, but I took delivery in June of 2013, so mine is a tad earlier than yours.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
Jagged Wire (06-28-2018), Ray Vin (07-03-2018)