Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type Coilovers

Hello All,

We are looking at working with a couple of companies to bring some coilovers to market for the F-Type. One in particular we have purchased several of their other products to use on some race & track cars we service & maintain (BMW, Porsche etc) as well as Chris's personal road-going Audi S4. We see this as a performance/handling/visual upgrade but also looking at OEM replacement as the earliest model years are starting to get old enough that dampers will need replacement. Interested in some feedback.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GH6GCTG

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
datriani (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Stuart, huge fan of Velocity and your products. Chris is awesome to work with. Love supporting you and just completed your survey. Definitely something of interest.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Would there by options of maintaining the original ride height or lowering?

Old 05-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbsj
Would there by options of maintaining the original ride height or lowering?
Please take a look at the survey, that's one of the questions we have asked.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What are the consequences of disconnecting electrical plug going into adjustable shocks that are present on all but base F-type? Do you get dash error message or a code? Does the car go into any kind safety mode?

Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Definitely interested, picked #2 for all my answers. Would be nice if the coilover would work with your existing lowering springs and have camber adjustment!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SinF
What are the consequences of disconnecting electrical plug going into adjustable shocks that are present on all but base F-type? Do you get dash error message or a code? Does the car go into any kind safety mode?
Well, it would be highly un-advisable to disconnect the electrical plug, without providing an electronic integration delete kit. So we would never do that. If you google 'Mag-Ride Delete' you'll come across all manner of similar solutions for other cars. Like the Audi R8. Mag-ride shock failure is extremely common, and the replacement parts are eye-wateringly expensive. So many people fit conventional coilovers with an electronic integration kit that simulates the correct resistance and prevents error states.

www.velocityap.com

SinF (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Thanks. I actually never looked at the prices of replacement adjustable shocks for F-type as I have not heard of them failing on F-types. Are they eye-waveringly expensive? Who is OE manufacturer of these?

Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The shocks run at around $750 each
For Jag OEM ones

Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SinF
Thanks. I actually never looked at the prices of replacement adjustable shocks for F-type as I have not heard of them failing on F-types. Are they eye-waveringly expensive? Who is OE manufacturer of these?
Failure is inevitable on this technology. Frankly it's often more prevalent on unused vehicles where the seals become brittle, and just a matter of time. The magnetic fluid is very hard on seals because of the metal content and eventually they will wear out over time.

As noted above it's about $750 per damper. The R8's are $2100 so I guess it depends on your definition of eye watering. Where there's perhaps a value proposition for some owners is - if you reach the point of needing replacement dampers, and there's an option for 50-60% of the cost, which also achieves some other perceived benefits (say, if you want to lower the car.)

www.velocityap.com

SinF (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Failure is inevitable on this technology. Frankly it's often more prevalent on unused vehicles where the seals become brittle, and just a matter of time. The magnetic fluid is very hard on seals because of the metal content and eventually they will wear out over time.

As noted above it's about $750 per damper. The R8's are $2100 so I guess it depends on your definition of eye watering. Where there's perhaps a value proposition for some owners is - if you reach the point of needing replacement dampers, and there's an option for 50-60% of the cost, which also achieves some other perceived benefits (say, if you want to lower the car.)
My understanding is that the F-Type doesn't use magnetorheological dampers, and that it's the lower tech valves with stepper motors. I haven't confirmed it one way or the other. Either way a non-adjustable replacement would need something to appease the electronics to avoid errors and possible loss of some features/functions.

SinF (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Old 05-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My understanding is that the F-Type doesn't use magnetorheological dampers, and that it's the lower tech valves with stepper motors. I haven't confirmed it one way or the other. Either way a non-adjustable replacement would need something to appease the electronics to avoid errors and possible loss of some features/functions.
It could be, I never bothered to check TBH because it doesn't really affect our determination of whether to proceed with a product or not. Designing the integration falls to other people here so we would tackle that as part of the design & prototyping process.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-14-2021, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

It could be, I never bothered to check TBH because it doesn't really affect our determination of whether to proceed with a product or not. Designing the integration falls to other people here so we would tackle that as part of the design & prototyping process.
Agreed. It doesn't matter for your intents and purposes. I only mentioned it because it didn't jibe with my recollection.

Originally Posted by DJS
I see it's a solenoid and not a stepper motor. That should make it easier to simulate for the ISCM (Integrated Suspension Control Module).

Old 05-15-2021, 07:29 AM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Stuart, I did respond to your survey. Thanks. Personally, my lone real complaint with my car is there's too much jounce for my liking. I'd sacrifice a bit of ride compliance to dial that out, if possible. That said, while it's unlikely I'm going to wear out my OEM fitments given my rate of miles, I'm definitely in the mix for upgrading if it enhances handling without turning it into a cement truck.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

love ur cars stance can u pm me how u obtained that look

Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by santacruz11
love ur cars stance can u pm me how u obtained that look
Who are you asking? There are literally zero pictures in this thread.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it would be highly un-advisable to disconnect the electrical plug, without providing an electronic integration delete kit. So we would never do that. If you google 'Mag-Ride Delete' you'll come across all manner of similar solutions for other cars. Like the Audi R8. Mag-ride shock failure is extremely common, and the replacement parts are eye-wateringly expensive. So many people fit conventional coilovers with an electronic integration kit that simulates the correct resistance and prevents error states.
I can have a coilover kit made for F-Types but need someone to design the Mag-Ride Delete module. Do you already have one made?

Old 05-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by turka
I can have a coilover kit made for F-Types but need someone to design the Mag-Ride Delete module. Do you already have one made?
We have most of the development work done, we are just working out exactly what our offering should be and how to tailor it to market preferences.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

We have most of the development work done, we are just working out exactly what our offering should be and how to tailor it to market preferences.
Gotcha, any chance you'll be selling the Mag-Ride Delete module separately?

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type Coilovers