F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019 | 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scm
It's not the colo(u)r that spoils it, it's the shape of the roof - the coupe is waaay sleeker and sexier.
+10

Old 01-02-2019 | 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

The 'Vert gives the F that classic 'three-box' look.

Old 01-03-2019 | 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
..for this not to be blown away in the wind, you'd have to wear it backwards ...
Do you want to look like that.. ..when you're 40+ yrs old.. .. really ???

Solution:

Old 01-03-2019 | 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
For me the exhaust note volume in the coupe is nowhere near the level you get top down in the convertible. It may be loud, but it's not as loud as it is in the convertible.
Coupe owners, who obviously have a far more sophisticated aesthetic than myself (still with my tail tween my legs about the pedantic and pompous jest from earlier)...

Do you think the resonator from the engine into the cabin is partially responsible for the lessened exhaust in the cabin? I think it was Unhingy who took his resonator out, and still suggests the exhaust isn't that strong.... would it be the case that the resonator engine noises would dampen the rear?

Old 01-03-2019 | 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vika01

It’s the color for sure. You get away with it a lot easier with a black or white car. Of course the coupe looks sleeker but still.
there is an all black top / body near us, and it's just so evil and badass looking.
The local market here has a bunch of F-Types, but mostly white tops, and not black. I drove a black topped white loaner, and it seems my thoughts are the car gets away with it with a red, blue, or (biased) tan top. I think the black ones on any color than black are boring. But we're down the rabbit hole of opinions here. =)

Old 01-03-2019 | 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
there is an all black top / body near us, and it's just so evil and badass looking.
The local market here has a bunch of F-Types, but mostly white tops, and not black. I drove a black topped white loaner, and it seems my thoughts are the car gets away with it with a red, blue, or (biased) tan top. I think the black ones on any color than black are boring. But we're down the rabbit hole of opinions here. =)
Yeah, it's all opinion, but the convertible is almost always the most desirable model of any car line. Even more with the F-Type since its a purpose-built rag top, not a coupe conversion.

Personally, I prefer the bulgling rear haunches and the super sinister rear quarter view of the convertible.

Both look beautiful and feline. But the graceful high tail of the couple looks female to me, while the convertible's lower "chopped" roofline and bulging rear quarters bring a wider look, and a crouching mascluline energy to the cat.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2019 | 02:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
But the graceful high tail of the couple looks female to me, while the convertible's lower "chopped" roofline and bulging rear quarters bring a wider look, and a crouching masculine energy to the cat.
I suppose it just comes down to which you'd rather get inside and ride!
You've just explained why I'm a coupe man.

Old 01-03-2019 | 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Coupe owners, who obviously have a far more sophisticated aesthetic than myself (still with my tail tween my legs about the pedantic and pompous jest from earlier)...

Do you think the resonator from the engine into the cabin is partially responsible for the lessened exhaust in the cabin? I think it was Unhingy who took his resonator out, and still suggests the exhaust isn't that strong.... would it be the case that the resonator engine noises would dampen the rear?
I think a lot of it is because the rear windows dont go down in the coupe. I had to take mine out in my XKR coupe for tinting, and the exhaust sound was massively louder than it was with just the front windows down, probably because they sit at the back closer to the exhausts. It would be fun to get a decibel meter and see what the difference is between the coupe and the vert from inside, giving it the beans. I had a vert for a day and the sound was incredibly loud compared to the coupe.

Old 01-03-2019 | 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

It wasn’t me pulling out the resonator. Sound gets way too raspy for me when you do that.

Old 01-03-2019 | 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's all opinion, but the convertible is almost always the most desirable model of any car line. Even more with the F-Type since its a purpose-built rag top, not a coupe conversion.

Personally, I prefer the bulgling rear haunches and the super sinister rear quarter view of the convertible.

Both look beautiful and feline. But the graceful high tail of the couple looks female to me, while the convertible's lower "chopped" roofline and bulging rear quarters bring a wider look, and a crouching mascluline energy to the cat.
Personally, I prefer engaging in intimate relationships with females.

Doh! scm already voiced my thoughts.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-03-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2019 | 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd

It wasn’t me pulling out the resonator. Sound gets way too raspy for me when you do that.
Pretty sure Unc is talking about the Symposer (on the back of the engine) and not the exhaust resonator.

Old 01-03-2019 | 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pretty sure Unc is talking about the Symposer (on the back of the engine) and not the exhaust resonator.
oh..no I wasn’t the one. I thought the symposer was supposed to make the exhaust louder in the cabin.

Old 01-03-2019 | 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd

oh..no I wasn’t the one. I thought the symposer was supposed to make the exhaust louder in the cabin.
Jeez Lance, getting a bit dopey in your dotage?*
The Symposer has nothing to do with the exhaust system, instead it "pipes" induction noise into the cabin via some tubes and a speaker on the firewall.

* I can't talk really as I'm only two years Lance's junior.

Old 01-04-2019 | 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Jeez Lance, getting a bit dopey in your dotage?*
The Symposer has nothing to do with the exhaust system, instead it "pipes" induction noise into the cabin via some tubes and a speaker on the firewall.

* I can't talk really as I'm only two years Lance's junior.
More ignorance than dotage. I thought the symposer was pulling sound off the exhaust side rather than the induction side of the engine. Such a useless piece of crap, I haven’t really thought about it that much.

Old 01-04-2019 | 06:17 AM

Hear. Hear. Especially with the top down. That's the winner to my "eye of the beholder."

I prefer the spoiler of the convertible, too --top up or down, but it really becomes focal with the top down.

As for the color-opinion rabbit-hole; with the top down, then a white car accentuates all black accents. With "black pack", black rims, and black top, then the curves of the body look best. Somewhat like how a black dress accentuates a girlish figure juxtaposed to her skin, hair, and jewelry accents.

Further, on a white car, the black top down, open, becomes the perfect exclamation point to the black interior. I'll be leaving all the badges in place, but come summer I'll be plasti-dipping them black, too.

The coupe, on the other hand, rocks colors. I'm particularly fond of the blue. But to this beholder's eye, the coupe's colors are again best with black-pack, et. al. --except for a black car, whether coupe or convertible; black body becomes accented with all chrome accents, including wheels --but the convertible in black simply must have a black top.

Thanks for asking!

Old 01-04-2019 | 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by scm
I suppose it just comes down to which you'd rather get inside and ride!
You've just explained why I'm a coupe man.
Knowing glance back, with twinkle in my eye, too.

Old 01-04-2019 | 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I think a lot of it is because the rear windows dont go down in the coupe. I had to take mine out in my XKR coupe for tinting, and the exhaust sound was massively louder than it was with just the front windows down, probably because they sit at the back closer to the exhausts. It would be fun to get a decibel meter and see what the difference is between the coupe and the vert from inside, giving it the beans. I had a vert for a day and the sound was incredibly loud compared to the coupe.
Top up (presumably louder than the coupe) is aoround 2/3rds muted vs top down. It's awsome what others get to hear. For mostly roar volume tone, I get frustrated with the top up.

Old 01-04-2019 | 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Correct! Thanks OzXFR

Old 01-08-2019 | 11:07 AM

+1 I still think it's sexy

Old 01-09-2019 | 08:29 AM

I owned a 2015 convertible and now have 2016 coupe (both V8’s). I think most of the pros cons have been pointed out and agree it does have to do with daily driver vs weekend toy. Mine is more of daily driver and I have found the coupe more enjoyable for these additional reasons beyond what has already been discussed: I live in WI where the convertible top gets minimal use. I actually like the panoramic glass top better as everyday it lets the let through. The convertible was a bit of a dark cavern with the top up. The convertible has larger blind spots. The convertible cabin is noisier especially when raining out. The last two are a bit nit picky, but they are part of the multiple reasons I find the coupe a more enjoyable place to be 95% of the time. The convertible with top down and exhaust at full roar does sound great.

+1 for the coupe in the looks department

The following 2 users liked this post by casper83:
O'Dell (01-09-2019), scm (01-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type Coupe Vs Convertible