F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-Type Engine Ticking/Exhaust Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar F-Type Engine Ticking/Exhaust Squeal

Context: I have a 2014 Jaguar F-Type supercharged V6 with 80,000 miles. I got. For $32k at a local dealership on February 28, and the car has had a few check engine lights come on already which I already sealed with *the purge valve was replaced*

Problem 1.) Engine Ticking.
I have this very annoying sound coming from the engine bay that is very noticeable when at a full stop. I can’t really hear it while driving. It’s especially noticeable at a cold start. Any ideas of what it could be?

Problem 2.) Exhaust Squeal & Screeching
At cold start the engine has this terrible squealing sound followed by a second screech. Once the engine/exhaust gets warm both sounds disappear.
but while running errands & driving normal the sound is very loud. Especially when accelerating, letting go of the accelerator or braking. I will record a cold start and upload it below . As well as the ticking

Old 03-26-2021, 01:00 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Problem 2 could be the exhaust valves opening and closing, they can become loud if un-lubricated, which is more likely on an earlier model F-Type. It would make sense on startup as the vehicle starts with the valves open then closes them as vacuum pressure builds.

A squealing sound could also be the supercharger drive belt, the recommended interval for replacement is I believe 96k or 6 years, which for your car would mean it is overdue.

Do these sounds occur at a certain RPM?

Old 03-26-2021, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not sure. I will go drive around right now and give you an accurate answer

Old 03-26-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a ticking sound at startup on a truck a year or two ago, eventually traced it back to a manifold leak that would go away once the vehicle came up to temp.

No experience with this on the f type, but if you're noticing ticking that's obnoxious at cold start and becomes less noticeable drive, that's probably where I'd start. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Romerooo
Problem 1.) Engine Ticking.
I have this very annoying sound coming from the engine bay that is very noticeable when at a full stop. I can’t really hear it while driving. It’s especially noticeable at a cold start. Any ideas of what it could be?

Problem 2.) Exhaust Squeal & Screeching
At cold start the engine has this terrible squealing sound followed by a second screech. Once the engine/exhaust gets warm both sounds disappear.
Same issues here on my 2016 R! I thought I was crazy for a minute, but the squealing/screeching/wheezing from the exhaust on a cold start is jarring for sure; my husband suggested it may also be one of the exhaust valves. I hope to get to the dealership soon as luckily it's still under warranty. Please do update your findings.