F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F type problem: anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar F type problem: anyone else?

Bought the Jaguar F type S a couple weeks ago. Been loving it. However;

I had a good friend out on a little test drive to show him the new toy. I kicked it into the "Sportshift" mode and hit the pedal. Drove a little in the full Auto mode without doing any manual shifting, and after hearing the engine, put it back into normal Drive. Almost immediately after, I could hear a slight "ticking noise." The noise corresponds with the RPM. The sound got a lot worse by the time we got home, and now sounds like a deep go-kart noise. The only relatable sound I could find is of this Jaguar x-type '05,

I'm getting it checked out but I just wanted to hear if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone else has experienced anything of the same sort.
Thanks in advance,

The following users liked this post:
Jskimming (09-23-2014)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

That sound "sounds" like the valves, or cam shafts, or cam rocker arms, or something similar.

I am not sure if your moving it to sportshift really is related, it may just have been a coincidence in timing of the problem surfacing...not sure.

Interested to know what they find when they look at it...

Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Removed - unable to help from looking at X-Type video.

Last edited by v8cat; 07-27-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: misunderstanding
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrong section of the forum -

Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by NikolajM

I had a good friend out on a little test drive to show him the new toy. I kicked it into the "Sportshift" mode and hit the pedal. Drove a little in the full Auto mode without doing any manual shifting, and after hearing the engine, put it back into normal Drive. Almost immediately after, I could hear a slight "ticking noise." The noise corresponds with the RPM. The sound got a lot worse by the time we got home, and now sounds like a deep go-kart noise. The only relatable sound I could find is of this Jaguar x-type '05, '05 x-type engine noise/tick - YouTube

I'm getting it checked out but I just wanted to hear if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone else has experienced anything of the same sort.
Thanks in advance,
Just had a ticking noise on my f type identified as warped cylinder heads which are on back order from Germany. Jaguar decided to fit a new engine instead of an indefinite wait. Apparently it's not uncommon.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jskimming
Just had a ticking noise on my f type identified as warped cylinder heads which are on back order from Germany. Jaguar decided to fit a new engine instead of an indefinite wait. Apparently it's not uncommon.
What do you mean it's not uncommon? These cars can't have more than 20,000 miles on them and many have much less. You're telling me it's not uncommon for an engine to basically die before 20,000 miles?! Jaguar has a long long history of **** engineering errors, most recently fir me with the nickasil disaster -- but I have a hard time believing your statement because this would be a new peak in incompetence. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by lunagry; 09-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

P.s. I don't mean to shoot the messenger. It's just that I've gone through a lot of difficulty with a number of Jaguars I've owned (but not the x type, I should add, that car was perfect) abd I have a little but of ptsd from it lol and I'm really getting tired of their inability to properly engineer. If in a few years we find out that they really messed something up in the f type then, well, who am I kidding I'll buy their next model like the sucker I am but I'll be annoyed.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jskimming
Do you have a V6 or a V8?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The video amuses me, in that when you cold start a car, the last thing you want to do is rev it intensely like that while sitting still - sustained revs when cold are terrible for any number of internals since the oil hasn't had a chance to get moved around and warmed up and up to pressure.

Regardless of that, re your rant on new engines having issues - my V8 went at 3600 miles with a rod going. It didn't sound terribly dissimilar to what you have here, but definitely more pronounced than this (and it kept getting worse).

Agreed with what is noted - may not be relevant to sport mode or not - could be coincidence in timing.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Really difficult to diagnose sound in a forum. And haven't really looked into the S motor. That said, since you asked, I'll venture a shot.

With the hood closed, the noise in the vid you provided sounds more like upper-end noise, such as a valve train/rocker arm or a s/c rotor noise (doubtful). With the hood open, the noise is more pronounced (as it would be), sounding more like bottom-end noise, e.g., a rod, or possibly a timing chain. Either noise would correspond with RPM. However, that the noise got louder by the time you arrived home tells me that whatever is making the noise is loosening up/giving way, e.g., a fastener/bolt. That likely means borrowed time. When you get your answer, please keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omgomg
The video amuses me, in that when you cold start a car, the last thing you want to do is rev it intensely like that while sitting still - sustained revs when cold are terrible for any number of internals since the oil hasn't had a chance to get moved around and warmed up and up to pressure.

In the mornings, I'll start the car, immediately put it into reverse, at which point the engine will make a clanking sound. It would go away quickly and the car only has 100 miles on it so I wasn't concerned.

But now I'll wait for the car's idle speed to fall from 1500rpm to 600rpm before putting it into reverse to try to prevent it from making that sound.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Note that the video was posted in July of last year, and that was the only post by that poster. So I don't think he's around to read your answers...

Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Heh, good catch DJS. Oh, well.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Do you have a V6 or a V8?
V6 340bhp

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by lunagry
What do you mean it's not uncommon? These cars can't have more than 20,000 miles on them and many have much less. You're telling me it's not uncommon for an engine to basically die before 20,000 miles?! Jaguar has a long long history of **** engineering errors, most recently fir me with the nickasil disaster -- but I have a hard time believing your statement because this would be a new peak in incompetence. Can anyone confirm?
Hey I'm not telling you anything. Simply relaying comments from Jaguar Uk. My car is only months old and already has had supercharger replaced. Do you think I'm happy about the trouble? It's been off the road for two months out of the three since I bought the damn thing!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

I've also read of 4-5 other engine replacements. In fact the UK-based magazine Autocar during their extended test of the vehicle - a V6S - also had to have a replacement engine. But as they are very careful about the hand that feeds, I did remember thinking at the time how they just seem to let the it go when it was clear that others had similar issues that only took a moment to find on these boards.

Jskimming - I hope JLR have looked after you properly as my own experience of their customer service is truly shocking. I'm still waiting nearly a year on for them to release a TSB over the faulty passenger speaker door design which is afflicting most of us with the base Merdian sound system. Keep escalating up to the senior management as the customer service and social team are the biggest gatekeepers I've ever met.

Best of luck!!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

About the speaker: I booked the car in two weeks after delivery to have this and a couple of other niggles looked at. It is now rattle free and was fixed - along with the other items - in under an hour.

Why would it need to be escalated if the dealership can fix it that quickly?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:35 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
About the speaker: I booked the car in two weeks after delivery to have this and a couple of other niggles looked at. It is now rattle free and was fixed - along with the other items - in under an hour.

Why would it need to be escalated if the dealership can fix it that quickly?
Couple of things if I may;
Not sure why after 17 months of shipping a car they are still going out of the factory with the same problem.

My car has been in 4-times to get this fixed and I don't agree that adding tape, washers and extra foam is how you solve problems with a sound system. No sound engineer of any calibre would think that good for a supposed high quality system. And unfortunately, mine was was OK'ish for the first few weeks - don't worry, it'll be back unfortunately.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

You may.

The alignment (or lack thereof) of the front body panels would be more of a concern after that length of time, as it suggests an inability to control the quality of parts that JLR make themselves as well as failures in improvement processes.

It's also worth remembering that the dealerships are separate commercial entities to Jaguar, who will doubtless get marked by Jaguar for their ability to deal with any customer concerns without referring the matter to Jaguar.

For comparison, BMW UK appear eager to gather information on any shortfalls in their products and are happy to pay customers and dealers for this information through offering replacement parts and covering the labour costs.

Engaging directly with Jaguar might get you more traction.

Last edited by F-typical; 09-27-2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Additional text.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar F-type Ticking Noise

Originally Posted by NikolajM

I had a good friend out on a little test drive to show him the new toy. I kicked it into the "Sportshift" mode and hit the pedal. Drove a little in the full Auto mode without doing any manual shifting, and after hearing the engine, put it back into normal Drive. Almost immediately after, I could hear a slight "ticking noise." The noise corresponds with the RPM. The sound got a lot worse by the time we got home, and now sounds like a deep go-kart noise. The only relatable sound I could find is of this Jaguar x-type '05, '05 x-type engine noise/tick - YouTube

Thanks in advance,
Hi Nikola - I bought an F-type S a few months ago and it has developed a ticking sound too, very much like the sound of lose tappets. I have taken the Jaguar back to the dealer and they immediately said it was not right!!!
The chief mechanic inspected the engine and thinks that the ticking is inside the supercharger, he says that there is a spring inside the supercharger that has loosened up. This spring will have to be replaced, then it will be fixed!! I shall keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F type problem: anyone else?