Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F type problem: anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yet another recording of the ticking/ knocking

Hi folks

long story short, my 2016 F-type S has been with the dealer for about a month now for addressing the ticking/knocking sound. They have replaced the SC snout (torsion isolator/coupler), SC heat exchanger, and both High pressure fuel pumps.

The sound is still there. JLR initially told them it’s normal, but my service delivery manager (great guy) went back with a comparison of another 2016 side by side recording to tell them it’s not normal.

So at this point, they are at a loss on what this could be. I was wondering if you folks have any ideas that you can share based on your experience on what this could be?

here’s the recording before any of the repairs mentioned above. What I am calling”chopping” in the video feels a lot like a knock to me now that I know what a knock sounds like.

appreciate the insights!

thanks

Old 12-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaaguar
Hi folks

long story short, my 2016 F-type S has been with the dealer for about a month now for addressing the ticking/knocking sound. They have replaced the SC snout (torsion isolator/coupler), SC heat exchanger, and both High pressure fuel pumps.

The sound is still there. JLR initially told them it’s normal, but my service delivery manager (great guy) went back with a comparison of another 2016 side by side recording to tell them it’s not normal.

So at this point, they are at a loss on what this could be. I was wondering if you folks have any ideas that you can share based on your experience on what this could be?

here’s the recording before any of the repairs mentioned above. What I am calling”chopping” in the video feels a lot like a knock to me now that I know what a knock sounds like.

https://youtu.be/DMtIwn9GZyE

appreciate the insights!

thanks
How long has that noise been there?

Old 12-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How long has that noise been there?
its recent. Wasn’t always there. Have about 26k on the clock and this started about a couple of weeks before I took the car in.
edit: come to think of it ... I check my car’s oil every Tuesday, given how there are no lights. So this one week I noticed car was low half way on the mark (half a quart to quart?); basically in 1 week car dropped by half a quart. This was after a 100 mile trip through the cascades. I swung by the dealer to have them check it out and they didn’t do much but just topped it off.
After that, I noticed the car’s sound had changed. So I went ahead and got a full oil change, but that didn’t help much.

Last edited by Shaaguar; 12-24-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

its recent. Wasn’t always there. Have about 26k on the clock and this started about a couple of weeks before I took the car in.
edit: come to think of it ... I check my car’s oil every Tuesday, given how there are no lights. So this one week I noticed car was low half way on the mark (half a quart to quart?); basically in 1 week car dropped by half a quart. This was after a 100 mile trip through the cascades. I swung by the dealer to have them check it out and they didn’t do much but just topped it off.
After that, I noticed the car’s sound had changed. So I went ahead and got a full oil change, but that didn’t help much.
Take a stethoscope (<$20) to the engine compartment and see if you can identify the approximate source location. I have my suspicion.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Take a stethoscope (<$20) to the engine compartment and see if you can identify the approximate source location. I have my suspicion.
the car’s at the dealer still. I’ll ask them try to localize. Pretty sure they are doing some diagnostic, but seems like they are unable to pin point.

are you thinking a warped cylinder?

Old 12-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

the car’s at the dealer still. I’ll ask them try to localize. Pretty sure they are doing some diagnostic, but seems like they are unable to pin point.

are you thinking a warped cylinder?
No, we’ve seen some other instances of something getting loose in one of the cylinders causing a ticking sound and eventually a hole in the top of the piston. After the stethoscope, the next step will be a borescope.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-25-2020 at 12:43 PM.