F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F type V6 Coupe 340hp with or without active exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar F type V6 Coupe 340hp with or without active exhaust?

Hello Guys, my 2016 jaguar F type V6 340hp, doesn’t have the switchable exhaust button option. But I was wondering how can I know if I have or not the active exhaust option?
I only know that my F type sound really loud and produce a lot of crackles being completely stock from the time I picked it up new from the jaguar dealership.
Does an active exhaust system mean that you get exhaust valves that open at higher rpm without being able to control it if you don’t have the switch button or simply that you get louder exhaust notes?

I posted 2 videos that show the sound of the car
Thank you for your answer

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8705.MOV (898.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_8706.MOV (1.97 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by mehdiababou; 01-16-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:17 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mehdiababou
Does an active exhaust system mean that you get exhaust valves that open at higher rpm without being able to control it if you don’t have the switch button or simply that you get louder exhaust notes?
This is correct. There is 'active exhaust' and then 'switchable active exhaust.' On a base car, you can actually have three exhaust setups: a standard exhaust (no valves), active exhaust (valves), or switchable active exhaust (valves and switch). Since you don't have the switch, you either have standard or active. Easiest way to tell is to look under the car at the muffler and see if there is a valve connected to each side. No valves means standard exhaust. You should also be able to hear an audible difference when you switch into Dynamic mode.

If you have active exhaust but no switch and want to make it louder all the time, you can pull fuse #43 (under the passenger footwell) which will permanently disabled the valves and leave them open all the time so the car will be louder all the time. If you don't have a fuse #43 there, then it is fuse #15 under the hood. Absolutely no other issues or changes if you pull the fuse--no warning lights, no change in performance, etc. Just more volume--it's like getting a free upgraded exhaust system!

Old 01-17-2023, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
This is correct. There is 'active exhaust' and then 'switchable active exhaust.' On a base car, you can actually have three exhaust setups: a standard exhaust (no valves), active exhaust (valves), or switchable active exhaust (valves and switch). Since you don't have the switch, you either have standard or active. Easiest way to tell is to look under the car at the muffler and see if there is a valve connected to each side. No valves means standard exhaust. You should also be able to hear an audible difference when you switch into Dynamic mode.

If you have active exhaust but no switch and want to make it louder all the time, you can pull fuse #43 (under the passenger footwell) which will permanently disabled the valves and leave them open all the time so the car will be louder all the time. If you don't have a fuse #43 there, then it is fuse #15 under the hood. Absolutely no other issues or changes if you pull the fuse--no warning lights, no change in performance, etc. Just more volume--it's like getting a free upgraded exhaust system!
My exhaust note dont seem to change while pushing the dynamic mode button, nor do I here any opening valves while going from low to high rpm. But it is still very loud as the files that I attached show it, cold starts are really loud too. Few months ago I read on this forum that few people with the base model in the US without the active exhaust experienced a sound that is quite different and quieter for sure than those who had the active exhaust. They were saying in fact that they were roughly hearing any crackles, nor experiencing loudness at the cold start.
In my case I was thinking maybe in the later 2016/2017 models before the OPF, the sound was way more present, and the best case scenario when not having the switchable exhaust button was not having the active exhaust system because it doesn’t let us hear the car independently.

Last edited by mehdiababou; 01-17-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:31 PM

someone else got more info?

Old 01-18-2023, 02:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Here’s how active exhaust works. You can look at the exhaust to see if the valves are present.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szc3vze5ol...haust.pdf?dl=0

Note that around MY16, they deleted the electric vacuum pump and replaced it with a vacuum line coming back from the engine.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
Here’s how active exhaust works. You can look at the exhaust to see if the valves are present.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/szc3vze5ol...haust.pdf?dl=0

Note that around MY16, they deleted the electric vacuum pump and replaced it with a vacuum line coming back from the engine.
I am going to try to look down to see if there are any valves

Old 01-18-2023, 11:07 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I am going to try to look down to see if there are any valves
If you have the V6 you'll have to look behind the back box as that's where the valves are. Only on the v8 can you see the valves down the pipes.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by scm
If you have the V6 you'll have to look behind the back box as that's where the valves are. Only on the v8 can you see the valves down the pipes.
Here is what I found behind the silencer box :

Old 01-18-2023, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Here is what I found behind the silencer box :

No exhaust valves there!
So you don't have active exhaust let alone switchable active exhaust.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, you don’t need the valves. As I posted in your other thread, get a vap sport exhaust which is what I had. No need to switch it on or off, it will sound amazing and consistent all the time. You’ll be driving in manual mode permanently just to enjoy the thunder.