Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap

I think the v6 platform would be pretty cool to turbo. Its the same block as the v8, has forged internals, etc. Boosting it to 600+ should be possible.

Aside from space constraints, what would be some road blocks to turboing it?

Old 06-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

It's already supercharged...why would you want to complicate matters? There are tuning products perfecty and specifically developed for this engine...

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (06-10-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by sov211
It's already supercharged...why would you want to complicate matters? There are tuning products perfecty and specifically developed for this engine...
... to make it faster. Switching from a supercharger to turbo isn’t that uncommon.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:06 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

I always thought the advantage of supercharging was to avoid turbo lag. Twin turbo set ups can avoid this but isn't that too complex to do yourself ??

Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by Borbor
I always thought the advantage of supercharging was to avoid turbo lag. Twin turbo set ups can avoid this but isn't that too complex to do yourself ??
That is an advantage, but also should factor in losses and max Airflow / boost when comparing them.

Power that is lost early will be made up later. Not to mention rwd v6 has trouble putting down power off the line

Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
... to make it faster.
You misunderstand how forced induction works.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by SinF
You misunderstand how forced induction works.
And you reached that conclusion based on...?

Old 06-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I’ve never read a post here on turbo swap...doesn’t mean it can’t be done but just that it hasn’t been done yet so most likely you’ll be pioneering that. Keep us posted.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
And you reached that conclusion based on...?
"but also should factor in losses and max Airflow / boost when comparing them" this mostly.

Compare how much air a big *** twin screw can flow vs say a little garret t25 or, conversely, how much air a turbo from a diesel container ship flows vs a stock blower from a v6 F-type.

Thing is, the supercharger isn't the limiting factor here. It's almost always the bottom end. They're already comparatively high compression motors (for a boosted one at least), and w/ a tune/pulley are already pushing like 2 bar of boost. Pushing it much past that and you're gonna end up eating your piston rings for breakfast or putting a conrod through your block.

You could probably do some sort of custom af set of internals that will hold up to the power and build yourself a crazy 1000+ hp monster.. but the truth is, if you were gonna do some sort of crazy off-the-wall build for a ftype v6, the source of the boost (sc or turbo) would mostly be a matter of preference / what fits under the hood. Then again if you've got the scratch for that, you could probably just buy yourself a nice V8 F-type, modestly tune it to 660hp/630tq, and save yourself a lot of money/headaches. Hell even for a v6 it'd probably be significantly easier and cheaper to swap a used V8 and tune it than do some crazy full-race rebuild and custom turbo setup / block / engine management etc for the v6.

All that being said.. I'd be stoked to see it if you actually were serious. I love seeing people do way over the top, completely beyond reason builds. I've wasted money on dumber stuff than that before.. so I get it. Just know that it's a lot more involved than replacing the blower w/ a snail.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

There's been talk off and on of a bigger blower on the V6 but I don't know if anyone has done anything. One member here punched the 3L out to, I think, a 3.4L along with other mods, but my recollection is that it was deemed "not very streetable."

Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by airthirtytwo
"but also should factor in losses and max Airflow / boost when comparing them" this mostly.

Compare how much air a big *** twin screw can flow vs say a little garret t25 or, conversely, how much air a turbo from a diesel container ship flows vs a stock blower from a v6 F-type.

Thing is, the supercharger isn't the limiting factor here. It's almost always the bottom end. They're already comparatively high compression motors (for a boosted one at least), and w/ a tune/pulley are already pushing like 2 bar of boost. Pushing it much past that and you're gonna end up eating your piston rings for breakfast or putting a conrod through your block.

You could probably do some sort of custom af set of internals that will hold up to the power and build yourself a crazy 1000+ hp monster.. but the truth is, if you were gonna do some sort of crazy off-the-wall build for a ftype v6, the source of the boost (sc or turbo) would mostly be a matter of preference / what fits under the hood. Then again if you've got the scratch for that, you could probably just buy yourself a nice V8 F-type, modestly tune it to 660hp/630tq, and save yourself a lot of money/headaches. Hell even for a v6 it'd probably be significantly easier and cheaper to swap a used V8 and tune it than do some crazy full-race rebuild and custom turbo setup / block / engine management etc for the v6.

All that being said.. I'd be stoked to see it if you actually were serious. I love seeing people do way over the top, completely beyond reason builds. I've wasted money on dumber stuff than that before.. so I get it. Just know that it's a lot more involved than replacing the blower w/ a snail.
It is important that we keep things in context. My posts are related specifically to the aj126... 3.0L v6 f type. Bringing in outlandish examples doesn’t really add much to the discussion.

V6 has a TVS1320... which I wouldn’t call a big *** twin screw.

- if you look at the efficiency graph for the TVS 1320, apply it to conditions were you would be racing, you would see why I say that. It IS a limiting factor when it comes to v6 hp.

A member on this forum has had a v6 tested. Stock can hold 600+ (maybe he said 670?)

Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by lizzardo
There's been talk off and on of a bigger blower on the V6 but I don't know if anyone has done anything. One member here punched the 3L out to, I think, a 3.4L along with other mods, but my recollection is that it was deemed "not very streetable."
Yes he did, 3.4L with a bigger blower as well (R1740) Said it was indeed streetable

Old 06-04-2021, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Obi
Yes he did, 3.4L with a bigger blower as well (R1740) Said it was indeed streetable
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post2150740

Old 06-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Bringing in outlandish examples doesn’t really add much to the discussion.
The examples were just to illustrate that there are a wide range of both SCs and turbos, and ultimately they'll both work as long as they're spec'd for the application.

Originally Posted by Obi
Stock can hold 600+ (maybe he said 670?)
Not blowing up on a dyno pass ≠ track days full of abuse / daily driving / etc

220hp/liter is a lot to be asking of any stock engine, but again.. I've done dumber stuff than that.. and I'd be stoked to see ppl try.

SinF (06-06-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
It is important that we keep things in context. My posts are related specifically to the aj126... 3.0L v6 f type. Bringing in outlandish examples doesn’t really add much to the discussion.

V6 has a TVS1320... which I wouldn’t call a big *** twin screw.

- if you look at the efficiency graph for the TVS 1320, apply it to conditions were you would be racing, you would see why I say that. It IS a limiting factor when it comes to v6 hp.

A member on this forum has had a v6 tested. Stock can hold 600+ (maybe he said 670?)
I think the member you are referring to is Ftype17. I am pretty sure I remember that when he built the big V6 he beefed up the bottom end of the motor to accommodate the increased power. Also I seem to remember a discussion about the forced induction limits of an open deck motor which both the V6 and V8 are.

As far as doing a turbo swap I think you are correct that a twin turbo set up would probably be able to produce more power than a supercharger since a supercharger has much larger parasitic power losses. It would be interesting to see how you would stuff such a set up under the hood with the required turbos, piping and intercooler

SinF (06-06-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I'd be interested to see (hear) the extent to which the sound is compromised. That's really the f type party piece more than power, IMO.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

The tuning for a twin turbo setup would be very interesting too!

Old 06-04-2021, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Removing the supercharger would leave space in the V for turbos if you reversed the flow through the heads. Alternately, putting in a 60 degree V6 would make more space for the turbos on the outside. Alternately alternately, twin-charging?

Old 06-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I think the member you are referring to is Ftype17. I am pretty sure I remember that when he built the big V6 he beefed up the bottom end of the motor to accommodate the increased power. Also I seem to remember a discussion about the forced induction limits of an open deck motor which both the V6 and V8 are.

As far as doing a turbo swap I think you are correct that a twin turbo set up would probably be able to produce more power than a supercharger since a supercharger has much larger parasitic power losses. It would be interesting to see how you would stuff such a set up under the hood with the required turbos, piping and intercooler
He swapped pistons to accommodate the larger bore and swapped the connecting rods (already forged) for titanium to lower rotating inertia/ reciprocating mass. Not exactly to accommodate power

Fitting it all under the hood seems like the tricky part

Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

why remove the supercharger for turbo, twin charging (supercharged and turbo) would be the way to go, if its possible.

Quick Reply: Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap