Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
It IS a limiting factor when it comes to v6 hp.
Yes and no. All indications point to the block being able to hold higher boost than what TVS 1320 can provide, assuming cooling issues are addressed.

That assumption is a gotcha. There is no practical way to solve these. All tunes out there heat soak like crazy and are 1-2 pull wonders. Stock is the most you can sustain over prolonged WOT and even that starts going into thermal protection at above 100F ambient.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:24 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Yes and no. All indications point to the block being able to hold higher boost than what TVS 1320 can provide, assuming cooling issues are addressed.

That assumption is a gotcha. There is no practical way to solve these. All tunes out there heat soak like crazy and are 1-2 pull wonders. Stock is the most you can sustain over prolonged WOT and even that starts going into thermal protection at above 100F ambient.
WMI + upgraded water pump + 200 cell.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
The majority of F-Type owners are not serious modders. They buy and drive their cars and don't change too much one them. With that, instead of debating on this forum; go out, start modding your car and come back with the results.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The majority of F-Type owners are not serious modders. They buy and drive their cars and don't change too much one them. With that, instead of debating on this forum; go out, start modding your car and come back with the results.
Keyword is majority. The goal is to find those on the road less travelled, who may offer insight.
Debating, generally, should be informative.

The problem comes when people don’t address the question posed by the post, but rather make remarks about the post.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Keyword is majority. The goal is to find those on the road less travelled, who may offer insight.
Debating, generally, should be informative.

The problem comes when people don’t address the question posed by the post, but rather make remarks about the post.
My point is, you aren't going to have a discussion like that on a forum where those type of people don't frequent. It sounds like you have already met and/or talked to Ftype17. If that is the case, whatever means you have already communicated with him is going to be your best source for information.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-07-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Mahjik
My point is, you aren't going to have a discussion like that on a forum where those type of people don't frequent. It sounds like you have already met and/or talked to Ftype17. If that is the case, whatever means you have already communicated with him is going to be your best source for information.
There are others that may have some type of insight

Old 06-07-2021, 06:04 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient to simply buy the V8 version?

DPelletier (06-10-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
If by "upgraded water pump" you mean intercooler pump (something like this: https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...ump-kit-combo/), then it was shown to be only partially effective (i.e. it helps with heat soak but not with lowering post-SC inlet temperature). As detonation is largely a function of inlet temps, this mod alone won't allow you to safely get to a higher boost levels. It will postpone onset of ECU pulling timing as part of thermal protection and will allow you to race in hotter ambient temperatures.

Basically, my message is as follows: THERMAL issue is what keeping F-type from realizing its full potential, you can't get reliable and sustained power until you address that. Otherwise anything else you do is going to be 1-pull setup. Just like drag racers that pack ice on the engine before a pull - you will be forever waiting for things to cool down while unmodified Miatas lap around you.

Last edited by SinF; 06-07-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:46 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by SinF
If by "upgraded water pump" you mean intercooler pump (something like this: https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...ump-kit-combo/), then it was shown to be only partially effective (i.e. it helps with heat soak but not with lowering post-SC inlet temperature). As detonation is largely a function of inlet temps, this mod alone won't allow you to safely get to a higher boost levels. It will postpone onset of ECU pulling timing as part of thermal protection and will allow you to race in hotter ambient temperatures.

Basically, my message is as follows: THERMAL issue is what keeping F-type from realizing its full potential, you can't get reliable and sustained power until you address that. Otherwise anything else you do is going to be 1-pull setup. Just like drag racers that pack ice on the engine before a pull - you will be forever waiting for things to cool down while unmodified Miatas lap around you.
Hmm guessing you missed the WMI part.My Water meth injection (wmi) nozzles are in the path of the compressed air from the supercharger. That is to reduce post iats. The upgraded pump is just the icing on the cake

Old 06-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Hmm guessing you missed the WMI part.My Water meth injection (wmi) nozzles are in the path of the compressed air from the supercharger. That is to reduce post iats. The upgraded pump is just the icing on the cake
Yes...Easy to keep it nice and cool with Water/Meth injection on the lid. I have run it full out for long periods with no heat soak. IAT's stay very low, and the added effect of higher Octane reduces the chance of pre-detonation.

The injectors are literally spraying right in the air path as you can see...Keeps it nice and cool!

DC

SinF (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I've got a bit of a one track mind, I keep thinking of how turbocharging the car might ruin the engine note. So then I thought maybe if it was possible to put in the engine out of a Guilia QV which is very grunty and meant to have a great note, so I listened to this clip on the engine note and really I dont think it is a patch on the Jag's anyway

Of course I dont even know whether you can swap engines these days with all of the electronics and sensors etc.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've got a bit of a one track mind, I keep thinking of how turbocharging the car might ruin the engine note. So then I thought maybe if it was possible to put in the engine out of a Guilia QV which is very grunty and meant to have a great note, so I listened to this clip on the engine note and really I dont think it is a patch on the Jag's anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWGXO8CJEV0

Of course I dont even know whether you can swap engines these days with all of the electronics and sensors etc.
Agree. One thing the Turbos do typically is ruin the exhaust note. I tried various systems on my 911 Turbo, and while it got better, it is nothing like this Shaguar!

That said, someone I work with has a new DBS Superleggera, which is Turboed , and it sounds sweet!

DC

Old 06-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

The DBS superleggera makes the hair stand up on my cheeks, the exterior is pretty much perfect. Unfortunately the centre stack looks like someone giving birth to a 1980's Akai stereo, but we cant have everything.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Just a note if you plan to improve the IC itself. Paramount makes them for everyone else and you are paying a premium to purchase from Eurotoys.
Here is the upgraded IC;
Paramount Upgraded IC

I did not know this until I received my IC from Eurotoys and saw the Paramount sticker on the IC!!
So that mistake cost me several hundred dollars!
XJR IC Upgrade

No matter where you get it it's a quality bit of work and I have had zero problems in the roughly 2 years I have had it. Same with the upgraded 010 Bosch IC pump.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just a note if you plan to improve the IC itself. Paramount makes them for everyone else and you are paying a premium to purchase from Eurotoys.
Here is the upgraded IC;
Paramount Upgraded IC

I did not know this until I received my IC from Eurotoys and saw the Paramount sticker on the IC!!
So that mistake cost me several hundred dollars!
XJR IC Upgrade

No matter where you get it it's a quality bit of work and I have had zero problems in the roughly 2 years I have had it. Same with the upgraded 010 Bosch IC pump.
Appreciate the recommendation, however, allisports supplies paramount with the heat exchanger/ intercooler. They have it at the lowest price

Old 06-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

That's even better!
Do you have a link for Ali? Paramount must put their sticker on it when they receive it.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
That's even better!
Do you have a link for Ali? Paramount must put their sticker on it when they receive it.
https://www.allisport.com/shop/perfo...oler-radiator/

Old 10-05-2022, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
... to make it faster. Switching from a supercharger to turbo isn’t that uncommon.
A supercharger is great for low-end torque but loses efficiency at higher RPMs whereas a turbo is basically the other way around. What would be incredible to see is a turbocharger ADD-ON as opposed to a replacement. Most of the plumbing's already there, right?

Old 10-05-2022, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxwilder
A supercharger is great for low-end torque but loses efficiency at higher RPMs whereas a turbo is basically the other way around. What would be incredible to see is a turbocharger ADD-ON as opposed to a replacement. Most of the plumbing's already there, right?
The problem with the F-Type V8 and V6 is there is zero room for a turbocharger let alone twin turbos.
Nowhere to run the manifold(s) let alone the turbo(s).
Not even enough room for after-market long tube headers, VAP and others have tried to no avail.
Obviously a hot V turbo set up while retaining the SC is impossible not to mention the basic engine intake/exhaust configuration being the wrong way around for that.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Twin-Charger FTW!

Quick Reply: Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap