F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar f type v6 Turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Most of the plumbing's already there, right?
...but, no space....

Old 10-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I've done stuff like this and agree that packaging will be a much bigger issue that the OP seems to be ignoring. I get it that it's fun to dream about, but on this engine, in this car... dreams include packaging nightmares. One possible way is to do the "tailpipe turbo" that some people say works. I've never tried it but it does get all that stuff out of the engine compartment, but adds two more pipes running forward, and having to relocate the MAF and air filters. Then there's the whole tuning issue... what ECU will be used? It's certainly not a simple substitution of parts.

Just... think it through. After spending a whole lot of money, what do you really end up with? If speed is the goal, I'd argue that a turbo LS would likely be easier.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Right I got into this with my old Lincoln LS which was a twin to the S-Type.
Rear mounted Turbo's are not the best but with zero engine compartment room they are sometimes the only answer.

This lays it out pretty well. Takes a good bit of fabrication. The only one I know of was installed on the Lincoln LS and he removed it after a while and said it was not worth all the trouble. But it did work and added a good amount of power.
Rear Mount Turbo Kits

Old 10-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

This thread goes beyond my expertise, but I'm learning from it and have some questions.

What would swapping in a turbo/twin turbo in a 6 cyl do to the shape of the torque curve, and how would your decision on whether to do it be affected by the transmission type? One of the things I love about my 6MT S is that it makes good torque low in the rev range, which I BELIEVE is due to the SC, correct? When I'm just cruising I can pass easily without a downshift. There are times I want to work the gearbox and times I just want to relax.

Seems like the choice to turbo or not would be influenced by the type of driving you want to optimize for, yes?

Old 10-07-2022, 05:08 PM

This thread is now 16 months old and wonder what the OP ended up doing. It's fun to think about, and another thing entirely to actually do. On some cars it would be fairly straightforward, but on an F-Type, most definitely not.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael211
This thread goes beyond my expertise, but I'm learning from it and have some questions.

What would swapping in a turbo/twin turbo in a 6 cyl do to the shape of the torque curve, and how would your decision on whether to do it be affected by the transmission type? One of the things I love about my 6MT S is that it makes good torque low in the rev range, which I BELIEVE is due to the SC, correct? When I'm just cruising I can pass easily without a downshift. There are times I want to work the gearbox and times I just want to relax.

Seems like the choice to turbo or not would be influenced by the type of driving you want to optimize for, yes?
Yes, "in general", a supercharger is good for low end, and a turbo is good for the high end. The thing is, that's an oversimplification. Sizing turbos is an art, and with today's ECUs (and direct injection), a turbo engine is getting closer and closer to acting more like a larger displacement engine than even a few decades ago, and getting harder to feel the turbo surge. Ignore turbo drag race engines that generate maybe 300 hp below 6000 rpm, and 900 hp above 7000 rpm. Such an engine would Not be good for the street and isn't a good guide on a streetable setup.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I've done stuff like this and agree that packaging will be a much bigger issue that the OP seems to be ignoring. I get it that it's fun to dream about, but on this engine, in this car... dreams include packaging nightmares. One possible way is to do the "tailpipe turbo" that some people say works. I've never tried it but it does get all that stuff out of the engine compartment, but adds two more pipes running forward, and having to relocate the MAF and air filters. Then there's the whole tuning issue... what ECU will be used? It's certainly not a simple substitution of parts.

Just... think it through. After spending a whole lot of money, what do you really end up with? If speed is the goal, I'd argue that a turbo LS would likely be easier.
See post 19. Obviously fitting it under the hood was a consideration…
As well as an STS system

Old 10-07-2022, 07:22 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by kb58
This thread is now 16 months old and wonder what the OP ended up doing. It's fun to think about, and another thing entirely to actually do. On some cars it would be fairly straightforward, but on an F-Type, most definitely not.
Decided to adapt a TVS1900 instead. Was pretty far along and then a deer killed my car

The following users liked this post:
Bslack (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Decided to adapt a TVS1900 instead. Was pretty far along and then a deer killed my car
How was that working out? Thinking about going that route with mine but was wondering if possible complications were worth it. You're the first person i've seen to mention going through with that.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:36 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by Bslack
How was that working out? Thinking about going that route with mine but was wondering if possible complications were worth it. You're the first person i've seen to mention going through with that.
It was a fun project, Just needed to modify the center portion of the plenum.

Not sure what you mean by complications, id think of it all as a learning process. Some anticipated barriers include getting it tuned, and looking into drivetrain parts