F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F Type V8 S/R vs Audi R8 V10 vs Maserati GranTurismo

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Jaguar F Type V8 S/R vs Audi R8 V10 vs Maserati GranTurismo

Looking at upgrading my V8 XF 385HP 5.0L which I've had for almost 5 years and love. I'd keep it as a daily because IMO not worth trading in or even selling individually as the resale market is slim. Got offers for upgrading to the new XF, but to be honest prefer the styling of the pre-aluminium models..Also don't like that the only V8 engines with a real roar are in the higher trims (XFR etc).

I really love the style of F type coupe and understand it's offered in the V6 as well as V8. Now I love the crackle and pop sounds of the R, but the V8 (S) is great as well. Looking for mid 400-500HP in a nice, sporty 2 door coupe package. I love the sleek lines of the F type. Also possibly considering the 911 but again have to go for a higher trim (Turbo or similiar) to really get >450HP.

I have had great luck with my Jag and do feel I want to stay a loyal Jaaag owner. But! I must say I also like Audi's R8, particularly the V10 which shares the Gallardo's engine, and also the passion and appeal of the Maserati Granturismo. Are these cars similiar - or might they have very different feels?

If you had to vote for one, or get one in your garage, which would you vote for? Lets say you can't sell it so it's not a case of choosing simply the highest value one! Also if there's another car in the class you'd take, which one?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I dont think that there is a v8 in the new XFs, although you could always try an XJR. I've driven one on the track a few times now and they are amazing and handle a lot better than the XFs (I had 2 of those). They are also gorgeous inside.

I'm not a fan of the R8 with its TT shape, I suppose I prefer the longer front end of a front engined car so it would be Maserati vs F Type for me. If I needed a back seat it would be the Maser although I find their proportions a bit odd and the interior pretty dated, so really I'd probably opt for a db9 over that anyway - if I have to live with ancient technology I'd rather it came with an Aston badge and bellow - although the problem with the db9 is that I'd feel deflated parking it next to the new vantage or db11, whereas the Maser probably has a year or so left in the current model cycle. But if we are talking my dream car, I think the Vanquish superleggera (sp?) which to me looks like a grown up and very angry F Type anyway, unfortunately over here the cost is double the cost of an F Type SVR so I'll never scratch that itch.

But at a time of ownership where I am usually looking for something else, I have to say that F Type ownership is pretty awesome and the V6 S compares very favorably to the v8 XF (had a 4.2 and a 5.0) and the 8 speed auto craps on the 6 speed from the XF, also the steering is monumentally better. So I'd try the V6 and the R before you decide, the R of course is quicker again right where you notice it and louder too, though personally I would prefer the RWD in steering to the AWD, but then I dont know whether any of the RWDs come with the incontrol multimedia which leaves the old one (from your XF) in the dust, if that is important to you.

The following users liked this post:
bluejaag (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:22 PM

XJR is potentially interesting - I do like the interior style and I'd think it would be plush. Although I do feel that I find the XF already about as large car as I'd want to drive, and know the XJ is slightly bigger though don't know if it acts like it...But to hear it performs well on track is impressive

Aston Martin makes gorgeous cars, though I'd be worried a bit on parts/service availability and dealership availability. Not sure if you live near a big city, Sydney or Melbourne, but where I live it's 1.5 hours away from a Jaguar dealer. I would be a bit nervous getting the proper care for a used Aston - although I don't know if that's justified.

I believe my local(1.5 hours) Jag dealer has a V6 s in inventory which I may test drive later this week. Steering and agility are decision makers for me. Over here in the States I believe 2015 was the last year for RWD only. I am looking at 2015 R RWD's. I am not very knowledgeable about RWD vs AWD on the F type - how does it feel different? RWD feels stronger/like it's being propelled from the back? Excuse my ignorance!

Though not critical, it will be nice to graduate from the infotainment system on the 2011...Even the updated blue screen on the 2012's is considerably better. Though I don't know I would be considerably bothered about having or not having multi medias if I had a car with real oomph!

Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Currently own an '18 F Type R and am absolutely loving it! Owned a 2012 V10 R8 and it looked great with the engine showing off in the rear. After a relatively short while I was not "thrilled" by it any more. It always got a lot of attention but the F Type is a bit more of a classy Hooligan, which I really like. Can't speak to the Maserati as I've not owned one, only test driven. I have to vote F Type, which I did with my wallet a few months ago.

Have driven the RWD and now own the AWD F Type. RWD is super Hooligan, easy to get the slides going. The AWD is more of a thrust back into the seat vs the punch in the chest from the RWD. I know that is a weird way to say it but that is the sensation to me. The F Type with the 6 is great also. I really enjoyed test driving a few of them but ended up grabbing an R.

Your question took me back to when I had the R8 as a dream car and my daily driver was a turbo Beetle. Got them from the same dealership and it was quite entertaining all around.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 09-03-2018 at 11:38 PM.
bluejaag (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Cheers! I've driven the AWD R and I thought it was a bit heavy feeling at the front compared to the RWD 6 when it was on the track although I dont think you'd notice a difference around town. The 280KW 6 doesnt feel fast unless you give it a kick, so it is a bit deceptive to start with. What I like about it is that you can really accelerate hard out of corners and roundabouts without ever feeling as though you might lose it, you can also get a bit of steering from the rear end once you are used to it. Ultimately I can get a lot more out of the S than I can the R and really enjoy it without crapping myself, though a better driver than me would get more from the R.

On the media the first run of f types have the black and white screen from the '11 XFs which I hated with a passion. I thought the blue and greyish one from the earlier XFs was better though they all sounded like crap. The mid '16 model year got the new screen which is heaps better.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

What answer do you expect?? This is an F-Type Forum after all. I was torn between the F-type and the V10 6-spd R8 myself. I never buy new so the one I wanted was a $65k/R vs $100k/R8 decision and I liked them equally. So I figured blowing money on a car is stupid in the first place and the F-Type was the winner.

Never regretted the decision after 18 months. The car does bring a lot of good times and joy to my life.

Money/Material things cannot make a sad person happy, but it can make a happy person happier --- Jay Leno.

bluejaag (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Considered the Grand Turismo but as other pointed out, the interior is dated and "flat". My trophy car would still be the AM DBS but my '17 R is making me second guess the double cost the DBS would be so like others here I voted with my wallet and bought a '17 R coupe when they were deeply discounted back in November of last year.

Was playing golf at a local private club and when we came back out to the cars after the round an R10 was sitting next to mine. The engine looked cool through the glass but at 50% higher costs, I don't see the logic. Buy the best you can get for what's in your budget. In my case, that budget was the F-Type R.

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.
bluejaag (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

bluejaag,
If you choose the Maserati, you'd better have a backup car and plan as the Maserati brand has proven highly unreliable. I, personally, know of three people in my acquaintance who had their cars bought back by the factory. One, whose car was in the shop about 40 days in the first six months and whose car lost its braking system on the freeway going 70mph with his wife and children in the car. That did it for him and the next day he initiated the factory buy back.

bluejaag (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM

@Hayabusa beautiful cars. Very interesting to meet a F type R owner who had an R8 previously. How was the driving experience compared the R? Does the jag or audi feel lighter, more nimble, faster - or are they actually very comparable? What engine sound do you like better? Any difference in seat comfortability or how sporty they feel? Excuse me for all the questions but I'd like to try and pinpoint any and all differences as much as I can. One thing which seems clear is for the same budget, you have to go a few years older/more mileage for the R8 vs F Type. Value - bang/crackle and value for money seems to be higher with the F type

@brucethequail there's a dealership (somewhat) nearby which actually has a F type R AWD 2016 and a R RWD 2015 which is really unusual because its a rare breed. I might make a trip one day to test drive both, back to back.

@burt very true. Figured you gents and ladies are the go to resource for knowledge about the beautiful F type. May post my question on audi (R8) forum to see if they all vouch for the R8. Would be particularly interesting if they were not loyal!

@nda and tberg It appears that the maserati isn't in quite the same league as the F type or R8. Tberg's stories particularly concerning and shocking. Know italian cars are more known for their appeal to the heart/soul/passion as opposed to reliability - but that seems to take it to another level.

So now seems like deciding between the R8 and F type which are ahead in this race..

ndabunka (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................... .......................

Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=bluejaag;1957339]@Hayabusa beautiful cars. Very interesting to meet a F type R owner who had an R8 previously. How was the driving experience compared the R? Does the jag or audi feel lighter, more nimble, faster - or are they actually very comparable? What engine sound do you like better? Any difference in seat comfortability or how sporty they feel? Excuse me for all the questions but I'd like to try and pinpoint any and all differences as much as I can. One thing which seems clear is for the same budget, you have to go a few years older/more mileage for the R8 vs F Type. Value - bang/crackle and value for money seems to be higher with the F type

Let me take a minute to qualify what I find stimulating so you can align my thoughts with your consideration set (Nomex suit on...ready for flame!). I love American Muscle. Came out of Hellcats and Vipers on the car side and Raptors on the truck side. Made good purchases and timed buying and selling so as not to get burned. I can swing one toy car at a time and feel fortunate that I've been able to do so. Also love bikes and have had a Screamin' Eagle V-Rod, a Busa, an MV Agusta Brutale, a Ducati 1098R, and an Aprillia RSV1000R Factory over time.

So, a level of high power coupled with sound and fury is what I love. The R8...stunning with cutting edge looks in the Tony Stark days. Still eyecatching, has been around a while and, as another poster mentioned, variations of the TT have picked up some of the genetics, at least looks wise.

The F Type is modern classic. Even when a new body style surfaces I believe our cars will continue to turn heads on looks alone. Throw in performance and the sound...the F never grows old!

Both cars are comfortable with the Audi sporting the legendary Audi interior. Seat was quite comfortable, sporty-plush. All-in-all, a great place to be while driving although the infotainment switch gear always adjusted things the opposite way I expected and I never acclimated to it (just sayin'). The engine behind your head was cool. Driving on public roads just got a bit...Audi. I didn't track the car and it was just a bit pedestrian, from a pure driving pleasure perspective, on the street. Sound was good, not great. The attention that thing garnered was off the charts. People loved coming up to talk about it. Service was expensive.

The F Type is still pretty new to me but I am loving every minute of it. The thrust is strong and the sounds are intoxicating. The ability to go from "normal" to "hit the checkered flag switch" to "bump the shifter left" is fantastic. The cockpit is comfortable with the seats being a bit less "padded" than I remember on the R8, at least on my MY18. I know this is a Jaguar forum but if it wasn't a thrill I'd have ditched it. There are some great deals on MY18 cars right now although they finally seem to be selling here in the Northeast U.S.

Just one man's opinions. Sorry for the long post. Will close with fun memory pics. Good luck with whichever way you proceed!!!

Last edited by Hayabusa; 09-04-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I was looking at the very same cars. Here I am, so that answers that question.

The Maserati is the best sounding by far. I damn near bought one on the spot after turning the key (yes, you have to turn a key) The car has looks that could kill and very spacious back seats. It doesn't back up either the looks or sound with performance, though, and anyone who ever accused Jaguar of being a generation behind in technology needs to sit in a GranTurismo.

The Audi R8...I've never been a fan of the looks. It's a great car in every aspect. It's not an F-Type, though.

The F-Type taps into my inner teenager and just makes me feel happy. The sounds, the performance and the looks. Let's face it, that's why we buy sports cars...

The following 3 users liked this post by eeeeek:
bluejaag (09-06-2018), Burt Gummer (09-06-2018), scm (09-09-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

the newer facelifted maserati looks the best to me, and sounds amazing (probably also the best out of them 3)....but its a maintenance nightmare, and the interior is outdated, old technology. Probably slowest of the bunch. you're literally just buying it for the exterior and sound

the Jag looks nicer than the R8, but that V10 is much nicer

bluejaag (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

I've owned two Maseratis, my first and my last--it was a 2015 Ghibli.

bluejaag (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 PM

@ hayabusa great pictures and post info. Too many toys too little time...

Went to a dealer today where I test drove both a 2015 R RWD and 2016 R AWD back to back. Loved both cars - although honestly couldn't tell a significant difference between the RWD and AWD. Although, that is most likely due to me driving very very carefully and never going above 35/40mph. Drove the RWD for about 10 min and AWD for 5 min.

Cars both looked very nice cosmetically, with only a couple surface scratches etc. Mechanically they seemed fine as well - however I would want to get a Pre purchase inspection..

In terms of deals/pricing, and opinions about the cars' history - wanted to know what you all think.

Based in Virginia, US. Price in USD

the black 2015 Jaguar F type R:

for sale at $55,000.
Mileage: Approx mileage is 27,092.
Last owned: in Texas.
Owner type: personal lease for 3 years and 2 mo.
Damage report: Accident Reported
Minor to moderate rear damage reported
Minor front damage reported
Vehicle towed
Airbags did not deploy
9 Months remaining factory warranty

The white 2016 F type R:

for sale at $63,450
Mileage: approx 18,466
Last owned: in New Jersey
Owner type: Corporate, for about 3 year 2mo.
Damage report: Accident reported
Involving front impact
Involving rear impact
with another motor vehicle
Front primarily damaged
Vehicle towed
22 Months remaining factory warranty

So.... Liked them, and apart from accidents - looked cosmetically like they had been repaired well. Salesman said I would notice poor bodywork, I said I wasn't so sure! Said I would want a bodywork inspector/mechanic to try and understand how bad the accidents actually were, and if they should influence my buying decision.

Thoughts? Bite, bargain for a better price, or run away? Thanks for any insights!!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Dont buy cars with accident. You can find accident free cars at those prices and mileage.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
bluejaag (09-08-2018), Burt Gummer (09-06-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:44 AM

I'd run away. Keep looking, your car is out there somewhere.

bluejaag (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:49 PM

Thanks again for your advice and all posters on this thread for comparison help.. The two jaguar f type r's I looked at seemed like great cars, but I may have saved myself a hassle. Well, in search of a nice 1 owner R with no accidents. Think I'll do a PPI with paint meter on it. Really looking forward to being able to own one. If anyone has one or is looking to sell, or knows one is available, feel free to message. Thanks