Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar ICE Sedan Production to End in June 2024

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 09:28 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/j...mp-1235532657/

Next year will see the debut of an new all-electric Jaguar. The first vehicle of the is expected to be a battery-powered grand tourer with over 575 hp and a 400-plus-mile range. It will be followed in 2026 by an SUV and a saloon that will both fall firmly in the luxury category, according to Autocar. Little is known about the trio of battery-powered vehicles except that they will be built on the Jaguar’s new JEA electric platform and be completely different from the I-Pace and other current models.
I can't wait to test drive one. To all the EV haters I gotta be honest, as we all know my SVR is fast but in the 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile ET my Lucid battery car kills it.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

Well then, if 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are what's important then EV's should be flying off dealerships lots.....

Among auto enthusiasts there are no EV haters, just EV pragmatics . How did your Lucid fair in Chicago's cold spell?

The following users liked this post:
Thunderjet Racing (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:55 PM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Two problems:

1 Range anxiety/time to charge/places to charge (one sort of problem of getting the juice in fast enough wherever you are - ).
2. They are so darned boring to drive (heavy, big, one or two gears....etc.).

So if they had a battery system that was lighter than ICE and a way to charge it faster than filling up a tank of gas.....and perhaps gears....I'd be a happy customer for sure as would many..

These two issues kill EV's imho for the enthusiast. I wish Jaguar the best - and I'd likely find a current Rolls Royce dull to drive too....I hope we figure out the issues as noted. Then EV could be fun.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:22 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
... and I'd likely find a current Rolls Royce dull to drive too....
Who wouldn't find a BMW dull after an F-Type?

SVR 575 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Well then, if 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are what's important then EV's should be flying off dealerships lots.....

Among auto enthusiasts there are no EV haters, just EV pragmatics . How did your Lucid fair in Chicago's cold spell?
It did fine during the cold spell, the range was reduced by about 12% which for a car with a 500 mile range isn't an issue. Being pragmatic it's awesome to have a fuel station at your house, and mile for mile the cost for fuel is 1/3 of what I spend using my ICE vehicles, the other bonus is that vehicle maintenance is just about zilch as compared to my ICE vehicles.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Two problems:
1 Range anxiety/time to charge/places to charge (one sort of problem of getting the juice in fast enough wherever you are - ).
2. They are so darned boring to drive (heavy, big, one or two gears....etc.).

So if they had a battery system that was lighter than ICE and a way to charge it faster than filling up a tank of gas.....and perhaps gears....I'd be a happy customer for sure as would many..

These two issues kill EV's imho for the enthusiast. I wish Jaguar the best - and I'd likely find a current Rolls Royce dull to drive too....I hope we figure out the issues as noted. Then EV could be fun.
I've road tripped my Lucid and while driving at 80-95 mph and at those speeds I have about 420 miles of range, so let's be honest after 320 miles of driving I'm ready to stretch my legs, tap a kidney, grab a coffee, etc; I go to a DC fast charger where I can charge from 20% to 80% and in about 22-25 minutes and I am back on the road.

Boring? That tells me that you haven't driven one. I have owned a lot of stupid fast cars and I have to tell you that the Lucid is far from boring with a super low CG, 819 HP, 885 ft.lb of torque, and a well tuned suspension. You can definitely see and feel the influence from Jaguar and Lotus that Peter Rawlinson has brought to Lucid.
You mention a lack of gears, the instantaneous torque and HP that is under the right foot is exhilarating, you can actually feel the pressure from the G's in your eyes and chest.

I highly recommend that any enthusiast and I would assume that includes any F-Type owner take a Lucid AGT for a test drive, if for just ***** and giggles do it and tell me that the car did not put a smile on your face.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SVR 575
It did fine during the cold spell, the range was reduced by about 12% which for a car with a 500 mile range isn't an issue. Being pragmatic it's awesome to have a fuel station at your house, and mile for mile the cost for fuel is 1/3 of what I spend using my ICE vehicles, the other bonus is that vehicle maintenance is just about zilch as compared to my ICE vehicles.

I've road tripped my Lucid and while driving at 80-95 mph and at those speeds I have about 420 miles of range, so let's be honest after 320 miles of driving I'm ready to stretch my legs, tap a kidney, grab a coffee, etc; I go to a DC fast charger where I can charge from 20% to 80% and in about 22-25 minutes and I am back on the road.

Boring? That tells me that you haven't driven one. I have owned a lot of stupid fast cars and I have to tell you that the Lucid is far from boring with a super low CG, 819 HP, 885 ft.lb of torque, and a well tuned suspension. You can definitely see and feel the influence from Jaguar and Lotus that Peter Rawlinson has brought to Lucid.
You mention a lack of gears, the instantaneous torque and HP that is under the right foot is exhilarating, you can actually feel the pressure from the G's in your eyes and chest.

I highly recommend that any enthusiast and I would assume that includes any F-Type owner take a Lucid AGT for a test drive, if for just ***** and giggles do it and tell me that the car did not put a smile on your face.
I am delighted that you made it through the cold spells in Chicago without any issues unlike many EV owners in your area. I am also delighted to note that you have not been affected by the 10 recalls, so far, for your model year and the over forty software updates which must have made it a better car and remedied the notorious key FOB issue. And, in 2025 you will be able to use Tesla's supercharger network. All positive attributes to the performance speed you mentioned.

The one factor not discussed has been the residual value, if you leased it, or the depreciation bomb that is certain to come into play. But I am sure we are all affected by that.

But seriously, I am not an EV hater. I know what I will be facing probably within a decade and I am grateful to all the first timer EV owners who have taken the risk and financial loss to get these new companies making these things so that they can work out all the manufacturing bugs, software bugs, etc., so that when I am forced to buy one many of the issues will be resolved.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:54 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575

Review of Lucid Sapphire and interview with Peter Rawlinson.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/vid...d-air-sapphire

Old 03-26-2024, 07:32 PM

We could probably trade reviews all day but here is one review after 15k miles......Not so rosy.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:21 AM

I am delighted that you made it through the cold spells in Chicago without any issues unlike many EV owners in your area. I am also delighted to note that you have not been affected by the 10 recalls, so far, for your model year and the over forty software updates which must have made it a better car and remedied the notorious key FOB issue. And, in 2025 you will be able to use Tesla's supercharger network. All positive attributes to the performance speed you mentioned.

The one factor not discussed has been the residual value, if you leased it, or the depreciation bomb that is certain to come into play. But I am sure we are all affected by that.

But seriously, I am not an EV hater. I know what I will be facing probably within a decade and I am grateful to all the first timer EV owners who have taken the risk and financial loss to get these new companies making these things so that they can work out all the manufacturing bugs, software bugs, etc., so that when I am forced to buy one many of the issues will be resolved.
The only recall I have had was the replacement of the HV battery pack, and the OTA's are great as it's just a continual product improvement. In regards to residual value I bought the car knowing I was going to be an "early adopter" if you will and with that there are perks and tradeoffs, and quite frankly the residual value did not concern me as I typically keep my daily drivers 6-8 years. Since we are talking about residual value I may as well mention the hit we took on the 2024 F-Pace when I pulled it off the lot two months ago, luxury cars are always a hit hard for the first owner and a value for the second owner.

In any event EV tech is evolving and improving every day and I think Jags future EV lineup if done right could be pretty exciting for performance enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:25 AM

The only recall I have over the past 18 months and 20,000 miles was the replacement of the HV battery pack and it was all painless as Lucid picked up the car at my house and dropped off the loaner at the same time. The OTA's are great as it's just a continual product improvement.
In regards to residual value I bought the car knowing I was going to be an "early adopter" if you will and with that there are perks and tradeoffs, and quite frankly the residual value did not concern me as I typically keep my daily drivers 6-8 years. Since we are talking about residual value I may as well mention the hit we took on the 2024 F-Pace when I pulled it off the lot two months ago, luxury cars are always a hit hard for the first owner and a value for the second owner.

In any event EV tech is evolving and improving every day and I think Jags future EV lineup if done right could be pretty exciting for performance enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trouble Ahead

I live in New England. I was talking with a salesman from New England's leading Jag dealer. He said about 80% of the feedback he is receiving on Jaguar's decision to completely drop ICE's has been negative. If that carries through to sales over the next couple of years Jaguar will be in huge trouble. They should have walked before running. The brand has/had some great ICE cars. A family member just purchased a new F type and loves it. I drove it and I was an immediate fan. I went to order one and was told the window for placing an order had closed and that they are now about to receive the last two F-types which had been ordered by other customers. I'll be looking for a new or used one but would NEVER spend that kind of money on an EV, especially in New England where we constantly hear horror stories about owner's EV experience. My daughter owns an EV but would "never take it to Boston. (We live in New Hampshire) She maintains it's a great car for running to the grocery store or nearby places.
During the Eclipse there were literally hundreds of stranded EV owners in New Hampshire because they all drove up from Massachusetts to see the Eclipse. As there were no where near enough chargers literally hundreds if not a thousand EV owners stranded. It was BIG news here in New Hampshire. I'm sure that scared the heck out of anyone who might have been considering an EV.
Jaguar has put the cart way to far in front of the horse on their move to go all EV.
I believe Jaguar has ruined their brand with this move. Time will tell but if the Jaguar dealers are concerned so shouldn't be corporate? A word of advice to Jaguar: Don't toss your tooling on your most successful lines of ICE cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by NHJim:
Supersprint Sport Exhausts (05-05-2024), Thunderjet Racing (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by NHJim
I live in New England. I was talking with a salesman from New England's leading Jag dealer. He said about 80% of the feedback he is receiving on Jaguar's decision to completely drop ICE's has been negative. If that carries through to sales over the next couple of years Jaguar will be in huge trouble. They should have walked before running. The brand has/had some great ICE cars. A family member just purchased a new F type and loves it. I drove it and I was an immediate fan. I went to order one and was told the window for placing an order had closed and that they are now about to receive the last two F-types which had been ordered by other customers. I'll be looking for a new or used one but would NEVER spend that kind of money on an EV, especially in New England where we constantly hear horror stories about owner's EV experience. My daughter owns an EV but would "never take it to Boston. (We live in New Hampshire) She maintains it's a great car for running to the grocery store or nearby places.
During the Eclipse there were literally hundreds of stranded EV owners in New Hampshire because they all drove up from Massachusetts to see the Eclipse. As there were no where near enough chargers literally hundreds if not a thousand EV owners stranded. It was BIG news here in New Hampshire. I'm sure that scared the heck out of anyone who might have been considering an EV.
Jaguar has put the cart way to far in front of the horse on their move to go all EV.
I believe Jaguar has ruined their brand with this move. Time will tell but if the Jaguar dealers are concerned so shouldn't be corporate? A word of advice to Jaguar: Don't toss your tooling on your most successful lines of ICE cars.
The entire woke-leftist project is falling apart at the seams, thank God, but not before trillions of dollars have been wasted as well as every institution set back a decade or two. There appears to be no upper limit as to the degree that people allow their ideology to trump rationality.

Wouldn't you like to sit down and have a chat with the leaders of JLR and find out what kind of mushrooms they were doing when they decided to go all in on EV's?

The following 2 users liked this post by synthesis:
NHJim (05-06-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I know a couple of older people who met that fate with their Tesla after eclipse viewing in NH.
They ended up stuck in traffic, battery dying, spent the night in their car, then the morning begging local homeowners for electricity!!
Third world scenario!!
Brings back memories of the great blizzard of 1978 when countless vehicles were stuck on Rte 128.
At least they did not all need towing afterwards.

The following 3 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
Golfnutjtl (05-06-2024), JgaXkr (05-06-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

On the original topic - Jaguar will NOT be stopping all ICE production in June. The F-Pace, at least, will continue a bit longer. This transition is going to be very painful for the brand - on many levels. They may need to sell out to the Chinese to survive.

Meanwhile, I offered to drag my brother and his Tesla-S for pink slips. He started to get excited until I said it would half to be either best out of 10, or 0-180-0.

I still remember the Top Gear show that set up a 0-60 drag with an e-Type and a DB5. It would have been a classic head-to-head, except they inserted an Accord in between that smoked them both. Times change. (The S1 did come in second.)

Old 05-06-2024, 04:49 PM

No doubt there are no longer automobile enthusiasts in the corporate ranks at Jaguar. Their decision to go all electric is tragic. They'll soon learn that in order to
stay in business you need to make a profit.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:52 PM

Perhaps I am responding to an old post but I tried to order an F type last week and was told by a major Jag dealer that production was "ending in June" and that "the window for order placement had closed"

Old 05-06-2024, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

They are reacting to European and Chinese markets, not ours. I remember when small efficient Asian cars taught our manufactures a lesson they haven't learned . Change comes in starts and stops and takes a long time, with problems unknown that need to be solved. We are going to loose most gas powered cars, but it might take far longer than planned. The Chinese are making a lot of cars and there is no argument Tesla has become a big car maker!

Old 05-06-2024, 06:13 PM

I don't dislike EV's or EV owners. What I dislike is the fact that the government is cramming these things down consumer's throats at the very expense of those who oppose them for sound reasons.
Consider:
Initial cost of an EV to then be followed by the horendously poor average resale value of these cars after only two or three years of ownership
The effect cold weather states have on mileage projections of EV's.
The fact that my/your tax dollars are being used to subsidise and incentivise the sale of these cars.
The manufacturing process of an EV is FAR from "green" - Have you ever seen a Lithium mine or investigated the environmental impact of mining it? Google lithium mining if you haven't.
Our national electric grid is already failing in many parts of the country and "on the edge" in many other parts without having many millions of additional people tapping the line to charge these cars. In California the governor has asked, on at least one occassion, that EV owners refrain from charging their vehicles due to rolling blackouts.
Before we add more demand on the grid we need a near complete overhall of the major grids in the country.
Permitting gridlocks and excesssive regulations have, for all intents and purposes, stopped the development and construction of badly needed clean nuclear power plants. As nice as windmills and solar panels may be they will not meet our current and growing energy needs alone, at least for many years. While the world is "going green" much of it is talk. Industrial nations need energy. Without it energy costs soar and inflation goes along with it. This country is blessed with an abundance of clean fossil fuels and the ability to construct many new clean nuclear plants. While we are dismantling coal fired power plants China has at least 300 of them that are either in the planning stage, permitted or are under construction, with more planned. We are being played. Had the money that has been spent by taxpayers and corporations on EV's been invested into our rapid transit and rail systems, we'd be far ahead of the game in reducing traffic congestion and carbon emissions.
As much as it may seem like I am anti EV, I am not. There ARE certain areas areas where current technology EV's should be promoted/encouraged. Los Angeles, for example, where mog is a problem due to restricted weather patterns. As well, much of the car use in LA is in local commuting. Ev's should be part of the solution in meeting our present and future transportation needs but they are not THE solution. The rush and single focus on EV's has been a colossal mistake. While many car makers are backing down on aggressive plans for EV manufacturing Jaguar has ignored the signals, Best of luck to them, they'll need it.

The following 4 users liked this post by NHJim:
Chuckster (05-07-2024), Hans Amstein (06-14-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (05-06-2024), zochmenos (05-06-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

While I understand the future reasons for a change I am in the camp where even a hybrid makes no economic sense. We put 6k miles total on our cars last year!

Old 05-07-2024, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

You could attribute a good portion of the poor resale on EV's to on-going price wars for new vehicle. Every price cut drags the used market down with it. However, as many car manufacturers are losing their shirts on EV, it shows that the overall equation is problematic. For example, Ford lost $1.3B in 1Q on their EV business. EV's are becoming "more affordable" because demand, while growing, doesn't begin to match the marketplace. The affordability is being funded by shareholders (and tax payers).

Quick Reply: Jaguar ICE Sedan Production to End in June 2024