F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Land Rover North America came through for me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Harley Davidson got an oil leak a month out of warranty. The dealer said he would call Harley Corporate and see
what their position was. They covered the repair. On my 14 Jaguar F Type that center vent made by Bosch that lifts
when the blower is turned on went bad. Jaguar knows they were defective and should have recalled the whole lot. Again, mine
stopped working months out of warranty. I wrote Jag a letter saying since they want to sell me a new car or suv, they should fix the
existing one. Jag never replied to my letter. The $85,000 Jag had only 12,000 miles on it at the time. I like the car, hate the
corporate attitude. It takes very little to lose my business. They succeeded.

The following users liked this post:
19FRG (08-29-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to have a lot of sympathy for you as far as the warranty is concerned. Expiry date is just that unless you made other arrangements. Suck it up my friend

Old 08-19-2021, 05:25 PM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I understand why you are upset.

BUT...it's an oil change! NOT worth getting so upset! $100 or so - please....cost of a dinner out. You have a $100K car for crying out loud!

Old 08-19-2021, 06:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago I bought a new Nissan Van and the muffler blew a hole at (seriously) 12,150 miles, 150 miles past the warranty of 12k. In Texas, yet.
My dealer refused to replace the muffler under warranty, even though it obviously had been corroding since it was on the assembly line. I wrote a letter to Nissan America with the following:

"I'd like to heartily congratulate Nissan and the folks who engineered and manufactured the muffler for my new 1992 Nissan Van. It managed to provide me with a care-free 12,150 miles before it blew a hole and rattled the windows in the neighborhood... etc."

Nissan America contacted me a couple of weeks later and informed me that they would indeed replace my muffler. Guess my sarcasm worked. But it's just good business.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by JagSlave
Years ago I bought a new Nissan Van and the muffler blew a hole at (seriously) 12,150 miles, 150 miles past the warranty of 12k. In Texas, yet.
My dealer refused to replace the muffler under warranty, even though it obviously had been corroding since it was on the assembly line. I wrote a letter to Nissan America with the following:

"I'd like to heartily congratulate Nissan and the folks who engineered and manufactured the muffler for my new 1992 Nissan Van. It managed to provide me with a care-free 12,150 miles before it blew a hole and rattled the windows in the neighborhood... etc."

Nissan America contacted me a couple of weeks later and informed me that they would indeed replace my muffler. Guess my sarcasm worked. But it's just good business.
I used to drive Nissan Micras - I had three of them sequentially and they all blew their back boxes at 93,000 miles - the tailpipe rusted out of the box. That's what I call manufacturing consistency!

Old 08-19-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Turko, Spent some time typing you a response, but the site wouldn't allow me to post it as it said was oversize. However reducing it didn't make any difference. Then it vanished! In a nutshell, take heart, all the luxury brands are screwing their customer base currently and will pay the price when when inflation kicks off due to longer term COVID effects. Mercedes is already sending out questionaires to find out why customers are no longer using their dealerships post warranty. I do my own after warranty.
All the best.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobbler Man

I would put a little more pressure on the local dealer. See if they cant work a deal with you (at cost for example). Maybe some good will on both sides.
Might work.

Personally, however, if there's any chance for 'goodwill', I'd hold it in reserve for something a lot more important and expensive than an oil change.

Cheers
DD

MarkN (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate, am I missing something, the servicing I purchased with my XKR and F-Pace had nothing to do with warranty, it just required me to get it done at X kilometers or in the time period, (5 so called free services)?
I do my own now. Just purchased Bot 720 $100.00 per litre at a Jag dealer. (dinkum).

Old 08-20-2021, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just me, or is the craziest part of all this that the dealer is charging $300 for an oil change?

MarkN (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 01:27 AM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCPX
@PatentlawTX: Not sure any of that was necessary.

Dealers do treat folks differently.
Where I live, I won't touch or take my jag to the dealer.
I actually drive 150+ miles to another dealer if I need service.
Why? The dealership where I live is owned by a car conglomerate that owns a crap ton of other dealerships around the country, which means, you're just a number, you're really not appreciated, and you are a bean for them to count. They will never care at the end of the day.

I experienced this with a similar situation with that Jag dealer here and that has cost them the sale of 3 jags since 2003. Here is another example of how they work: The Caddy dealership in town (of which they also own) - did a horrid job on repainting my bumper from a factory defect on my SUV.
The paint started to peel off the bumper again within 2 years...
They informed me it must have been something I did
I had it repainted by a local shop and they informed me the issue was the caddy dealer they add the rubberized undercoat to the bumper to account for bumper flex when driving.
The bumper has remained defect free since.

Two different cars-
Two different dealerships
One corporate owner
Same terrible service

The jag dealership I go to now, and I have been going to and will continue to go to is still family owned.
Seek out a new dealership.
You obviously do not live in the North East. You obviously do not live in New Jersey and you obviously don't live in the center part of the state.
Look at most of the posts........People agree that it is out of warranty.

Like Chris Rock said about divorce......It is not like you can go to an all you can eat place.....leave....and then say the restaurant owes you a steak later when you come back.

Some issues are geographically based......and based upon what people "expect" vs. what was agreed upon in writing.

If you are "entitled" to a free oil change, then please explain why you are entitled to it? Because you spent more money on the car? If I spent a quarter of the amount at a Nissan dealership....should I ask for 1/4 of an oil change? To keep good customer relations?.......Well YOU are not being a GOOD customer. You are just looking for a Freebie.

And honestly......couldn't he have just said...."Wow...that is an expensive oil change? Can we work something out?"
Most likely.....they would have cut him a deal.
Instead....it is ranting and raving for endless paragraphs about not getting something for free.
He is never going to be happy with any manufacturer because, in fact, they "only" live up to their written commitments. WHAT A SHOCKER!

Next he will complain about the McDonalds buy one burger get one free. It is not good because IT DID NOT INCLUDE FREE FRIES.

Xec (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:03 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon2
Is it just me, or is the craziest part of all this that the dealer is charging $300 for an oil change?
THIS !!!! I'd be more pissed over $300 oil change than lack of a freebie.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:07 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon2
The majority of that will be the eye-watering labo(u)r rate.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Turko has not been back since 8/12.
But he certainly hit a nerve.
Maybe the dealership should lose your business but certainly not the brand over an oil change.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rearaxle

Jaguar needs to be doing it better, harder, faster, friendlier, more economically than their competition. The publics perception of Jaguar is not particularly
favorable, based on past performance. Jaguar can't just put "their best foot forward". Jaguar needs to jump in with both feet to change the publics
perception of what Jaguar has to offer. The only way that is going to change is for Jaguar to demonstrate some true generosity and stand behind their product.
I won't disagree.

Without going too far into the weeds.....

Over the last 20+ years I've been shocked at some of the stories about Jaguar's corporate attitude and the quality of dealer service.

But, to be clear, the matter at hand isn't a failure to "stand behind their product". We're not talking about a major or unexpected breakdown or failure. We're talking about an expired 'free oil change'. Yeah, it would be generous to go ahead an give the freebie service....but I don't think lack of generosity in this case is such a terrible sin.

A lot of this comes down to expectations....which naturally vary from person to person.

If a steakhouse offered a free cocktail with any dinner until August 30th, and I showed up on September 15th, I would not expect a free cocktail with my dinner. I wouldn't hold it against them if they said 'no'. (Frankly, I wouldn't have the gall to even ask, but that's just me). I showed up 2 weeks late and, besides, I'm there for a $75 steak dinner. The freebie cocktail ($12 value) isn't gonna make or break my opinion of the restaurant.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Turko has not been back since 8/12.
But he certainly hit a nerve.
Maybe the dealership should lose your business but certainly not the brand over an oil change.
Another possible choice is to say "It's not the dealer's fault, nor Jaguar's fault, that the freebie service expired. It's not their fault that I've been ill. It's not their fault that Covid bollixed-up my schedule. I've been handed a turd....but that's what life does from time-to-time".

Cheers
DD

1 of 19 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, now that your warranty has expired this is the way to go.
20 minute job no fuss no muss and you save a bundle, and no risk with the dealership overfilling with oil coz they forgot or ignored the fact that being an AWD yours takes a bit less than the 7.25 litres the RWD takes. The only minor hassle is finding a way to dispose of the old oil.
In the states almost any auto parts store takes the oil and filters for no cost. And is it shitty JLR didn't honor the oil change-yes, but again you didn't call before the warranty expired and sadly every company is in cost cutting mode and its not just JLR.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

After reading all the replies, I think the lesson to be learned is if your warranty is about to expire and extenuating circumstances will prevent you from getting the car in for service, it would be wise to contact the dealer, explain the situation and ask for something in writing that would allow you to have the car serviced under the terms of the warranty at a future date. As long as the future date isn't too far past the expiration date.

A good attitude will go a long way in getting the dealer to cooperate. If the initial service advisor who answers the phone is uncooperative, ask for the service department manager. If you get the same response from him, contact the general manager of the dealership. If that doesn't work, contact the JLR headquarters customer relations department in your region. If even that doesn't work, well, then you are S.O.L.

But the wise tactic is getting out ahead of the problem rather than trying to get a favor after the warranty has expired.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
JgaXkr (08-20-2021), Mahjik (08-20-2021), WayneB (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 05:48 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
THIS !!!! I'd be more pissed over $300 oil change than lack of a freebie.
Try having a car where the oil change is $2000, then $300 won't bother you anymore.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
The majority of that will be the eye-watering labo(u)r rate.
What's that, $900 an hour?

Old 08-20-2021, 08:33 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I'm back ....

Hello Gentlemen,
I'd like to thank those who saw my position as being valid. And for the other guys who critiqued me for trying to get an oil change two weeks after my warranty expired, I read your replies with an open mind and I appreciate your response.
Now.... A few things I want to say.
I'm new to this message board. I'm the furthest thing from being an adversarial troublemaker.
I sincerely appreciate all those who offer their experience, knowledge and expertise on issues pertaining to the F-Type sports car.
That being said, I thought to myself what could I do to show my appreciation for anyone that's on this message board.
I thought my way of contributing to the message board would be, by introducing SuperSprint Italy to this message board. I have this ability.
Most message board members received the announcement of SuperSprint making a full active exhaust system with sport cats for the F type with genuine interest. Unfortunately there's always a sour apple in the fruit basket. And I was labeled as a dubious character and I was supposedly up to no good. Essentially the sour apple for reasons unknown to me, tried to cut me down without knowing ANYTHING about me and SuperSprint Italy.
Why...
Because I started the Supersprint exhaust thread.
And because I realized this slight was directed at me, I responded to this individual and I referred to him as a circus c....
I don't want to say the word again, even though it's NOT a curse word, I was banned for one week because I asked the individual why they were acting like a c....
I don't know this person, they don't know me, and I just don't appreciate being called out when I did nothing wrong.
One message board member made the remarks saying that I have not posted since August 12th. Well, this is the reason why.

Now, without going into too much detail, I did mention that I have an autoimmune disease in my last post. I will elaborate just a little bit just to add a little meat and potatoes to the warranty situation.
2 days before my warranty expired I had a set appointment at the hospital to receive my infusion which takes place at the hospital. It's approximately a 5-hour process. This infusion helps treat my autoimmune disease. After I receive my treatment, the last thing on my mind was my car. It's takes a person a few to several days to fully bounce back from the infusion treatment.
The only thing I was thinking of was my health. And for some members to say I'm crying over a free oil change that's not true. That oil change is not free. I paid for it at the time of the sales negotiation for the car, ( you all do ) the oil changes are factored into the sales price of the car. NOTHING IS FREE.

When I wrote my original post, I did not throw anyone under the bus, I did not mention any names, I did not mention any business name of any dealership. My post was very generic.
When I called the dealership, I was extremely polite and diplomatic and the same goes for when I contacted Jaguar Land Rover North America.

Now for my oil change status. I received a phone call from JLRNA about my car and my situation.
I was very pleasantly surprised to get this phone call from Jaguar Land Rover North America because I never thought I'd get this call from JLRNA.
The representative had a very detailed conversation with me and once again I explained the circumstances that led me to miss the oil change by 2 weeks. I was discussing my health situation to the representative and they were listening and at one point this person told me they heard enough and they believe me because they know someone who has the same health issue as I do. I guess the person understood I was clearly telling the truth. At this point the representative informed me that I would receive my oil change without me having to pay out of pocket. I thanked the person and the phone call was concluded.
Guys, I can't say with certainty but it's my guess that Jaguar Land Rover North America monitors this message board. And the person probably read all the numerous posts on my thread and decided to reach out to me which I was very thankful for the phone call.
I'm very Happy with JLRNA gesture.

Last edited by Turko; 08-20-2021 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Turko:
MarkN (08-22-2021), SVR 575 (08-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Land Rover North America came through for me.