F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not having the 10” screen radio on my 2018 f type, I continue to be less than Impressed with Jaguar electronics. Compared to my 16 Ram pickup, it is awful.

having had Spotify was a good thing. However, No more.

Sure hope this “upgrade” has something for me.

so far, I am unimpressed.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (02-07-2020)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it is an age thing (mid 50s), but [for me] while the upgrade might be nice, I couldn't care less. The original F-Type "end-user design objectives" were centered around the enjoyment of performance and an exhilarating driving experience. This is why I bought and love this car. If infotainment technology is your priority, you should look to the Japanese.

The following 2 users liked this post by F-Toype:
GeorgeIII (01-29-2021), scm (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Toype
Maybe it is an age thing (mid 50s), but [for me] while the upgrade might be nice, I couldn't care less. The original F-Type "end-user design objectives" were centered around the enjoyment of performance and an exhilarating driving experience. This is why I bought and love this car. If infotainment technology is your priority, you should look to the Japanese.

The car is going to drive the same with or without it so why not have the most updated features. Also, if you own the car, if this update is available for your car its a selling point when you do want to get rid of it. Its a free upgrade. If you had to pay for it and did not care I get it.

To each their own though. And while I dont think age has much to do with it, myabe you are right. I am 32 and value it.

bb_sam (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Unoplop
To each their own though. And while I dont think age has much to do with it, myabe you are right. I am 32 and value it.
+1 I would also add that it's actually embarrassing to drive a car (that in Canada) retails for $100k and the infotainment is worse than a Hyundai of the same year.

The following 3 users liked this post by bb_sam:
scottrader1 (12-04-2019), StellarPatois (12-12-2020), Steven Page (12-22-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM

The dealership says that I can't upgrade -- I need the TouchPro screen. Alas, my system says that I have "TouchPro" -- but the screen itself is not 10". And my car is a 2018.5 too. So, my question is what F-type had the 10" screen prior to 2019? Does anyone driving an F-Type qualify for this upgrade if no one has a 10" screen??

Last edited by bb_sam; 11-06-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Toype
If infotainment technology is your priority, you should look to the Japanese.
...or American. My 2017 corvette had more advanced technology than my 2018 F-Type does, both inside and underneath the skin. My 2020 Ram 1500 is more tech heavy than both. Some care about such things. Some don’t.
I don’t think it’s an age thing. I think it’s just what you like, want or expect. I’m a 63 year old life long car guy and I definitely appreciate the the tech part of the equation. I want it and expect it in a car that costs north of $100,000. Honestly I was surprised at the tech level in my FT.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah the issue isn't that I bought this car because I wanted a good infotainment system, it's that $25k cars of the same vintage have far better technology included as standard. It's table stakes for modern cars.

All is forgiven because of everything else the F-Type is, but nothing should have needed apology in the first place.

The following 2 users liked this post by fuzzysquid:
Kristin_w (12-31-2019), scottrader1 (12-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Agreed. I love the F Type but I love music too. After all, both have a lot of enjoyment derived from your ears. I also need to use the phone a fair but and receive texts through the system. I want it all!

That said, I'm, actually happy enough just using USBs for music, easier to control and I only obsess over 10 or so songs at a time. I would like android auto for nav use, the Jag nav is just crap.

My wife has the best jag system - icontrol touch duo pro or whatever with surround sound in her XE. Sounds beautiful but I fund it very hard to use. I need to spend an hour working it out.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just disappointed with the removal of Spotify.

I accepted third class electronics when I bought the car. My car was a 63 MGB. My standards were low.

Just a USB port is sort of late 20 th century! Not what I was sold. I upgraded to a new Apple phone to use the cars electronics.

if Jaguar wanted to they could get Spotify back. Had the same deal with a Marantz receiver. They restored Spotify.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

They have had a discussion on this across the pond and there are actual people that have received the update with the smaller screens so who knows?

https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...o-Update/page2

bb_sam (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
They have had a discussion on this across the pond and there are actual people that have received the update with the smaller screens so who knows?

From this I got to this site:

Vehicles - Jaguar

Put my info it and it says my Vin has pro and shows the big screen (which I dont have) and says its compatible. Still waiting on my dealer to call me back and did not have time to call today as work has been insane.

scottrader1 (12-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NvmyJag

Well, here's a definitive piece of info from that link -- see page one -- which seems to reproduce the H251 bulletin. The only F-type Year that is eligible is MY 2018, and they cite the VIN range:

Model: F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year: 2018
VIN Range: K41513 - K55803

My screen is the smaller screen but my VIN is within this range. I think this warrants an in person visit to the dealership because I don't think they realize that the smaller screens are eligible.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Very disappointing. Definitely a discrepancy. I didn’t think any MY 16 had incontrol touch pro.
Imagine how those of us who own 14s with our Motorola flip phone brick systems feel! :-)

Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This post and updates much appreciated. Thank you.

One issue that concerns me - over the air updates. This is NOT a feature one would want - internet connected car, one that has ability to re-write code, is not something I would sign up for. This means JLR can patch your car to be quieter or detune it to make it compliant with some new California regulation. More insidiously, over the air updates are two-way communication - there is nothing stopping them pulling your GPS location data and history.
You can block the signal by wrapping the ECU in tinfoil.

What's the verdict on this? My '17 has the display with hardware buttons on both sides of it. Eligible for the upgrade or not?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

I received an email today around noon from Jaguar informing me of a software update to my 2018 F-Type base model w/Touch Pro (NGI).
Is this the same update that the OP received a letter about (H251 Bulletin)?

The email states that the update "...allows you to enjoy higher levels of connectivity, entertainment, and convenience through the Smartphone Pack. The update also includes improvements to essential features of your InControl Touch Pro system." Inasmuch as I do not have the 10" touchscreen and therefore do not have Smartphone Pack, I assume that the update will only effect "essential features of (the) InControl Touch Pro system.", although those essential features are not specified.

Anyone have opinions about this update, like what it actually improves, is it worth doing, etc.?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 PM

Just got off the phone with the service advisor. I told him about the letter and he said the car cannot have car play or android auto because of hardware. He said in the fine print it might say that somewhere... idk what that means because the letter has no fine print lol. On the site when I look at my vin it says it can be done. So I asked if there is an update for my car anyway even if it does not get these features and he said yes. So I have an appointment anyway for my car to be serviced a week from today on the 13th and they are going to do whatever that update is at that time. I guess I will let you know when its done whats in there because he did not seem to confidant and until that letter came 5 days ago it was thought 100% you could not do it and he might be basing his answer on that. I asked if he heard about the letter and he said yes but also, as I said, he didn't not sound confidant.

So I guess unless someone goes in for an update, we wont know until next week when I go.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Unoplop. Can you confirm what model and year car you have, and which infotainment system you have? There's a lot of different terms people are using and not always consistently, so

a) Name? InControl Touch [Plus/Pro], and how you're getting that name
b) Physical buttons on the sides of the screen?

Picture of the screen would be helpful reference too, if you can.

Cheers!

Old 11-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
Thanks Unoplop. Can you confirm what model and year car you have, and which infotainment system you have? There's a lot of different terms people are using and not always consistently, so

a) Name? InControl Touch [Plus/Pro], and how you're getting that name
b) Physical buttons on the sides of the screen?

Picture of the screen would be helpful reference too, if you can.

Cheers!
I can answer some now and some later as I did not drive the car today.

I have a 2018 F-Type 400 - I will have to make sure in the system which intouch system I have but I do have physical buttons on the sides.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

It's a double whammy for some of us with the original InTouch (non Pro) - not only aren't we eligible for CarPlay but they snuck up and sandbagged JustDrive and now Spotify leaving the Apps shelf a sad looking place...

Old 11-06-2019, 04:19 PM

The car is going to drive the same with or without it so why not have the most updated features. Also, if you own the car, if this update is available for your car its a selling point when you do want to get rid of it. Its a free upgrade. If you had to pay for it and did not care I get it.

I can answer some now and some later as I did not drive the car today.

I have a 2018 F-Type 400 - I will have to make sure in the system which intouch system I have but I do have physical buttons on the sides.
I'd also be curious to know if you're VIN is within the range noted in the H251 bulletin:

Model: F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year: 2018
VIN Range: K41513 - K55803

Quick Reply: Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto