F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I'd also be curious to know if you're VIN is within the range noted in the H251 bulletin:

Model: F-TYPE (X152)
Model Year: 2018
VIN Range: K41513 - K55803
I will look at the rest of the stuff I was supposed to look at tomorrow afternoon as today has been hectic. Vin wise, yes mine is in between that range.

When I do go in my car tomorrow, do you guys have any idea where to look exactly to know what system I have specifically

Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Unoplop
When I do go in my car tomorrow, do you guys have any idea where to look exactly to know what system I have specifically
You should be able to see the software you're running by clicking on the "settings" button on the home screen -- click on "All Settings" and then click on "software update". That screen should show you what version of the infotainment you're running. The older version starts with 19A.... and the new update is 19B.... In my case, the over the air updates feature had been disabled. You can enable it if you have a data sim card inserted into the center console. Once you have the SIM card inserted, and the "check for updates" feature enabled, you should get a prompt to update the software.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

You should be able to see the software you're running by clicking on the "settings" button on the home screen -- click on "All Settings" and then click on "software update". That screen should show you what version of the infotainment you're running. The older version starts with 19A.... and the new update is 19B.... In my case, the over the air updates feature had been disabled. You can enable it if you have a data sim card inserted into the center console. Once you have the SIM card inserted, and the "check for updates" feature enabled, you should get a prompt to update the software.
If you haven't the sim card slot does that mean its not possible according to jaguar updates you just need the 10" screen and a usb slot

Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Figured I was running late so why not run later and go look and see. This is all I get in the all settings area.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
If you haven't the sim card slot does that mean its not possible according to jaguar updates you just need the 10" screen and a usb slot
As I understand it the SIM card is only functional if you have continued beyond your initial trial subscription to the cellular service; my Jag SIM is with AT&T and I did not see any advantage in paying another monthly cellular bill (my smart phone is with another provider.)
I attempted the update yesterday thinking it may be possible via some magic connection between my smart phone, but as far as I can tell it didn't work. But as long as the attempt didn't screw something else up I'll wait until I am compelled to visit the dealer before I worry about it. It's either that or call the Jaguar We're Here to Insult You, Not Help You number.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
You definitely need the SIM slot to do an over the air update. What isn't clear to me is if your car fits within the VIN range and you go to the dealer and they upload the software change if you'll have the stated functionality of connecting to a wifi network. Right now, the 19A version of the software (which most of us are probably running) doesn't have a wifi connection option.

It also isn't clear if you need the 10" screen or not.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
As I understand it the SIM card is only functional if you have continued beyond your initial trial subscription to the cellular service; my Jag SIM is with AT&T and I did not see any advantage in paying another monthly cellular bill (my smart phone is with another provider.)
I attempted the update yesterday thinking it may be possible via some magic connection between my smart phone, but as far as I can tell it didn't work. But as long as the attempt didn't screw something else up I'll wait until I am compelled to visit the dealer before I worry about it. It's either that or call the Jaguar We're Here to Insult You, Not Help You number.

Don't think that's true. I also didn't renew the AT&T service but just took my active SIM card and inserted it into the slot in the console. After turning on the SIM connection -- it does register and it allowed me to download the update. And with my personal SIM, I have full access to the "Live" apps -- such as weather and traffic updates. So, it definitely still works with a non AT&T SIM.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Unoplop

Figured I was running late so why not run later and go look and see. This is all I get in the all settings area.
I think you're on the wrong screen. In the bottom right corner in the pic you sent there's a "two wheels" icon. Touch that. A pop up window should come up that has a two or three boxes -- one of them will say "All Settings". You seem to be in the "General Settings" menu. This is different.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:49 AM

I think you're on the wrong screen. In the bottom right corner in the pic you sent there's a "two wheels" icon. Touch that. A pop up window should come up that has a two or three boxes -- one of them will say "All Settings". You seem to be in the "General Settings" menu. This is different.

Will do it when I get home tonight, sorry about that.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Don't think that's true. I also didn't renew the AT&T service but just took my active SIM card and inserted it into the slot in the console. After turning on the SIM connection -- it does register and it allowed me to download the update. And with my personal SIM, I have full access to the "Live" apps -- such as weather and traffic updates. So, it definitely still works with a non AT&T SIM.
That's interesting; I'll try the SIM card from my phone. The fact is, as I was pondering whether or not to activate the additional AT&T account I called the Jaguar customer "assistance" number and was told that SIM card in the vehicle was specific to that VIN and no other would work.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM

My OTA update keeps failing -- it downloads, says it's installing, then it reverts back to the original screen without saying "Installation Complete". I made an appointment for tomorrow morning at a local dealership to see if they can update it manually. I was told that sometimes the OTA update doesn't download the full file properly which can cause this error. Other forums have reported that your first OTA update has to be done by the dealership, then it works on its own automatically.

The saga continues.... I really hope I get Apple CarPlay after all this.....

Old 11-07-2019, 12:17 PM

The letter I posted does say that this update has to be done at the dealership and after this update I would be able to do OTA updates.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Just found this bit of info for those of us with older ICTP systems. This is helpful to determine whether the SmartPhone pack will even work with your vehicle -- based on the center console ports.

In my case, my vehicle has a compatible port (type C) but there still seems to be a requirement to have the 10.2" screen.... having said this, the link below is from March 2019 -- so I'm hoping that the latest 19B software release somehow would allow the smaller screen to work with the SmartPhone pack.

https://www.ovalnews.com/2019/03/fin...#disqus_thread

Old 11-07-2019, 05:35 PM

So I went back to my car and hit that settings button but takes me back to where I was basically. Took a video but don’t think I need it. If I hit that it just brings up the same settings that I’m at with the option of audio settings

Old 11-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

FWIW I have a unit also with hardware buttons, but my interface looks different from Unoplop, and I also have nothing in the settings that displays a version number or name.

According to the Jaguar website vin lookup I have a InControl Touch Plus system, as opposed to the Pro system in later models?

Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
FWIW I have a unit also with hardware buttons, but my interface looks different from Unoplop, and I also have nothing in the settings that displays a version number or name.

According to the Jaguar website vin lookup I have a InControl Touch Plus system, as opposed to the Pro system in later models?
Just went into the app for the phone I have for remote start. Shows pro

Old 11-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Well... the following scenario should be of interest. My 2016 XJL went in for an infotainment update over two months ago. The dealership was unable to get it beyond V2.0 and contacted Jaguar's WEBEX who attempted to accomplish the upgrade remotely. They too failed and authorized the replacement of the entire IMC unit. The unit part appears to sell for $2800 (+/-). I am having the warranty replacement performed at another dealer closer to our other home. When the service advisor wrote the work order he informed me that "your car will be receiving CarPlay at no charge..." I commented, "even though I have an 8" screen?" He answered, yup! I had him check to see if my 2017 F Type R was entitled to the same "courtesy" update? He answered, nope! I will be picking up the car on Monday and will report to the forum the results. I sure hope that I have not jinxed this, by way of this thread!

Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Well... the following scenario should be of interest. My 2016 XJL went in for an infotainment update over two months ago. The dealership was unable to get it beyond V2.0 and contacted Jaguar's WEBEX who attempted to accomplish the upgrade remotely. They too failed and authorized the replacement of the entire IMC unit. The unit part appears to sell for $2800 (+/-). I am having the warranty replacement performed at another dealer closer to our other home. When the service advisor wrote the work order he informed me that "your car will be receiving CarPlay at no charge..." I commented, "even though I have an 8" screen?" He answered, yup! I had him check to see if my 2017 F Type R was entitled to the same "courtesy" update? He answered, nope! I will be picking up the car on Monday and will report to the forum the results. I sure hope that I have not jinxed this, by way of this thread!
This is REALLY interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get a definitive answer on whether the 8" screen can be upgraded tomorrow -- I have an appointment at my local dealership to upgrade the software manually. I did find this quote in an Australian article about the upgrade. This is promising since the 2018 F-types within the VIN range of H251 seem to all be ICTP models.

“Every single car we ever built with InControl Touch Pro, we have re-engineered all of the software in that whole system and we’ve made it backwardly compatible,” said Land Rover engineering director Nick Rogers recently. “We’re actually going to offer every single customer … to come back to the dealership, have an update.”

Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Call me a dinosaur, but what is the advantage over bluetoothing you phone? I wish we could ditch the screen all together, I don't see any purpose to it. I keep wondering at what point a car maker is going to include a simple phone mount. Maybe in 2030?

Old 11-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
Call me a dinosaur, but what is the advantage over bluetoothing you phone? I wish we could ditch the screen all together, I don't see any purpose to it. I keep wondering at what point a car maker is going to include a simple phone mount. Maybe in 2030?

Well Apple Carplay has some nice features such as if you use Waze it puts it on the screen for you. Youtube apple car play and see what it offers. Just nice to have.

Quick Reply: Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto