F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unoplop
Well Apple Carplay has some nice features such as if you use Waze it puts it on the screen for you. Youtube apple car play and see what it offers. Just nice to have.
I've used carplay, as I rent cars often for business. As far as I can tell, its a nice streamlined app of functions I already have 3 or 4 apps to do. So, now I have 5 or more apps that do the same thing.

I know its a generational thing, but I would greatly prefer an F-Type with high quailty analog controls instead of a cheap touchscreen that works awful (touchsreens are terrible for use in moving vehicles, IMO) that adds nothing that isn't done better or more flexibly and maintainably on a phone.

It's like a bad dream, suddenly everyone wants a complex montage of senseless stuff with too many awkward non-tactile touches required even to do the simplest of things. So they threw out the high quality, sensible stuff.

I understand the desire to lower costs, but it's sold at a premium when its clearly a cheap approach that is less functional than fine gauges and well designed controls. I'd settle, at this point, for designed at all.

Baffled.

Last edited by RacerX; 11-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gas Cat (11-12-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Call me a dinosaur, but what is the advantage over bluetoothing you phone? I wish we could ditch the screen all together, I don't see any purpose to it. I keep wondering at what point a car maker is going to include a simple phone mount. Maybe in 2030?
Okay, you're a dinosaur.--very old joke, Henny Youngman maybe.
Anyway, mostly agee with you except the screen is nice to have for GPS. It would seem an industry-wide standard enabling the linking of smart phones to onboard computers is necessary. I would much prefer Waze to the system in my F-Type. Bluetooth and the thumb drive satisfy my music needs most of the time as I seldom listen to anything with morning talk shows or commercials.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
... I would greatly prefer an F-Type with high quailty analog controls instead of a cheap touchscreen that works awful (touchsreens are terrible for use in moving vehicles ...
I came to the F-Type from an XKR and was immediately impressed by how many physical controls there are - steering wheel heater and heated seats are much more convenient to operate than in the XKR. Apart from the satnav, I only use real controls when I drive.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Okay, you're a dinosaur.--very old joke, Henny Youngman maybe.
Anyway, mostly agee with you except the screen is nice to have for GPS. It would seem an industry-wide standard enabling the linking of smart phones to onboard computers is necessary. I would much prefer Waze to the system in my F-Type. Bluetooth and the thumb drive satisfy my music needs most of the time as I seldom listen to anything with morning talk shows or commercials.
I agree GPS is a reason to have a screen, though it makes more sense in an SUV. I might get on board with the idea of embedding an android tablet or phone screen repeater, but both would be redundant so the value will never be there--in the sense that almost everyone already travels with a phone.

I think if the F-Type came with no screen and high quality, simple and beautiful analog controls, focused only on driving the car, it would sell better.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I'm hoping to get a definitive answer on whether the 8" screen can be upgraded tomorrow -- I have an appointment at my local dealership to upgrade the software manually.
So the dealership didn't have any pending infotainment updates noted for my vehicle. I had to show them the screen shot of the SOTA that attempted to download the 19B software to prove that my car was even eligible for it. Eventually, the Shop Manager was willing to update the ICTP manually -- but he said that it takes 2-3 hours (it uploads from scratch versus the individual updates that come across on the SOTA). I couldn't spare that time (they had no loaners for me) so I'll have to go back if I want to do this manually.

The Shop Manager was actually quite knowledgeable about the system. He's skeptical that the smaller 8" screens will actually allow for Apple Car Play -- he seemed to suggest that it might update to the19B software but that Apple CarPlay wouldn't actually be visible or useable. He just hasn't seen any pre-2019MY F-types that have been able to get this update. He couldn't, however, reconcile the H251 bulletin that very clearly identified my VIN as being eligible for the smartphone pack (including carplay) update. He thought that maybe it was an error on the part of JLR to have even listed the F-type as being eligible.

I am still getting notifications via the SIM card in my car that there is an update -- but the installation keeps failing. So, I'll have to either make an appointment and let them manually update the system -- or I'll wait to see if the 19B gets a further update that works once it's downloaded to my vehicle.

Last edited by bb_sam; 11-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be having my car done on wednesday so I will have an update after that.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys - my car was updated to the 19B software by the dealer while in for its service very soon after the announcement in Oct - They did it without asking me while it was in for another software related fix for the Drivetrain. Did not even know it had been done until I read the service sheet upon check out.

I have a 2018 F with physical buttons (8" screen).

For those that are eligible The software fixes a few issues but DOES NOT give you CarPlay features (Android or Apple). Seems that this only applies to 10" screens which I think are MY 2019+. Beyond a few fixes (and a few other things broke for me - In Control Apps stopped working with my phone (not a big deal) and Spoken Voice Directions in the Nav system seems to now be hit or miss) the only new thing is the Over-the-air update and a rather useless Wifi Hotspot feature (why, in a 2 seat car do I need a hot spot? Might be useful in a SUV with lots of Kids, but not in an F).

So, sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all you folks out there with older F's.

James

Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Banned

I would much rather see them put their time and effort into fixing the features that already exist. The bugs are what bother me the most; I'd generally rather not have a feature than have malfunction intermittently.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I could live without CarPlay, I could live without JustDrive (nice idea to rival CarPlay but a **** poor implementation).

What I cannot fathom is WHY they killed Spotify off ? I get that no new features may be available like Waze but why bushwhack what we already had ?

I did get the standard "thank you for sending your feedback, we take our customer's opinions very seriously..." platitude email.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimboUK

I have a 2018 F with physical buttons (8" screen).

So, sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all you folks out there with older F's.

James
Thanks for this update. Sadly, it seems as if you're correct -- I received an email from Jaguar today asking me to update my software to take advantage of the new features. In the footnotes, it clearly says:

"*The Smartphone Pack is only available for vehicles equipped with either a 10" Touch Pro or 10" Touch Pro Dual View touchscreen, a SIM slot and front On-The-Go-enabled USB ports. "

So, I check two of the three requirements (the SIM and USB ports) but not the 10" screen. I'm not even going to waste my (and their time) to get the update. Seems to be useless for those of us with the 8" screen.

fujicoupe (11-10-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 174 Likes on 79 Posts

The dealership says that I can't upgrade -- I need the TouchPro screen. Alas, my system says that I have "TouchPro" -- but the screen itself is not 10". And my car is a 2018.5 too. So, my question is what F-type had the 10" screen prior to 2019? Does anyone driving an F-Type qualify for this upgrade if no one has a 10" screen??
My understanding is that the U.S. MY 2018 Touch Pro (with buttons on the side) have the exact same software package as the 2019 Touch Pro with the 10" (no buttons) screen. I own a MY 2018 Touch Pro (with the buttons) and I too received a notice for the free upgrade. I contacted the dealer and was told that it's not a matter of if you have or don't have the buttons. It's about if you already have the In Control Touch Pro OS which was first installed in 2018...

Last edited by FeralSVR; 11-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why cant they just provide an option to replace the older 8" screen units with the newer 10" ones? The side buttons are all part of the head unit are they not? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra to get upgraded to the new system

ryd003 (12-31-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I like my side buttons - much easier to use than a touchscreen.

Mahjik (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I like my side buttons - much easier to use than a touchscreen.
Yep, it is all about Tactile Response.

Even the virtual buttons on the screen are acceptably large for 'normal' functions. Some of the settings are a pain, as you have to wade through too many levels of screen, but we have learned to live with it. EG, I NEVER adjust volume on the screen, I always use my console knob, and I have turned off the screen display of Volume Level. Just use my ears to determine proper sound level.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 AM
Banned

Update update:
As I left home for an appointment yesterday a message on the touch screen appeared indicating that there was an update available. A couple option were given and I chose Update Now and went on my merry way. About fifteen minutes later I received another message that the data limit had been exceeded and would I like to cancel or continue. I chose continue and went on about my business. Inasmuch as I did not opt to continue my trial AT&T cellular subscription I'm unsure if any data were actually transferred. The same scenario repeated itself when I left my appointment. I have no idea whether any update occurred; I see no change in the screen layout or anything else.
Has anyone else received this message through their touch screen? If so, were any updates actually installed?.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Update update:
As I left home for an appointment yesterday a message on the touch screen appeared indicating that there was an update available. A couple option were given and I chose Update Now and went on my merry way. About fifteen minutes later I received another message that the data limit had been exceeded and would I like to cancel or continue. I chose continue and went on about my business. Inasmuch as I did not opt to continue my trial AT&T cellular subscription I'm unsure if any data were actually transferred. The same scenario repeated itself when I left my appointment. I have no idea whether any update occurred; I see no change in the screen layout or anything else.
Has anyone else received this message through their touch screen? If so, were any updates actually installed?.
If you go to the "All Settings" screen, there's a "Mobility" menu where it allows you to "uncap" the amount of data downloaded on your SIM. That's likely why you got the warning that you would exceed the max -- it's an arbitrary default max of 50MB. Just reset that and/or increase it to a much higher number. I believe the software update is approximately 77MBs.

On the same "All Settings" screen, at the bottom is a link to the Software Update -- if you click/touch that, it should tell you what version of the software you're operating. It is on this screen that you'll find out if you were updated from the old 19A software to the new 19B software.

I suspect that you're experiencing the same thing I am -- the software downloads, shows that it's installing, then (instead of completing the install) it resets and reverts back to asking you to download it again. When you say the same scenario repeated itself, that's what keeps happening to me, over and over. I eventually just turned off the data/SIM so that it doesn't even check for updates.

I emailed JLRNA to see if they know about this looping issue on the 2018 F-types as it relates to the software over the air (SOTA). No response yet. The only alternative (as far as I've been told) is to go to the dealership and spend approx 2-3hours for them to reinstall the full software (which would then include the new version 19B). BUT, as you'll see above, someone else with a 2018 F-type (8" screen with hard buttons) has already had the 19B installed at the dealership and has noted that it does NOT contain apple carplay....

Last edited by bb_sam; 11-13-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Banned

If you go to the "All Settings" screen, there's a "Mobility" menu where it allows you to "uncap" the amount of data downloaded on your SIM. That's likely why you got the warning that you would exceed the max -- it's an arbitrary default max of 50MB. Just reset that and/or increase it to a much higher number. I believe the software update is approximately 77MBs.

On the same "All Settings" screen, at the bottom is a link to the Software Update -- if you click/touch that, it should tell you what version of the software you're operating. It is on this screen that you'll find out if you were updated from the old 19A software to the new 19B software.

I suspect that you're experiencing the same thing I am -- the software downloads, shows that it's installing, then (instead of completing the install) it resets and reverts back to asking you to download it again. When you say the same scenario repeated itself, that's what keeps happening to me, over and over. I eventually just turned off the data/SIM so that it doesn't even check for updates.

I emailed JLRNA to see if they know about this looping issue on the 2018 F-types as it relates to the software over the air (SOTA). No response yet. The only alternative (as far as I've been told) is to go to the dealership and spend approx 2-3hours for them to reinstall the full software (which would then include the new version 19B). BUT, as you'll see above, someone else with a 2018 F-type (8" screen with hard buttons) has already had the 19B installed at the dealership and has noted that it does NOT contain apple carplay....
Thanks for your reply. That is about what I suspected, other than your suggestion for increasing the data cap. Inasmuch as I am not paying for the cellular service (AT&T) I assumed that no data would transfer due to the account being inactive. I did think about trying the SIM from another device/account but have put that idea on hold just because I don't see that there is anything in the new software that I'd use anyway. I don't know yet, I may just wait until my next visit to the dealer and have them do it.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an appt yesterday but had to reschedule as the dealer promised me a loaner car and then didnt have one. I didnt have the time to be taken to rent a car as I had work plans mid day. I have an appt on tuesday of next week.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

I told my son about the infotainment saga, he sent me this thread and asked "Is this what you're talking about..."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-ca...ing-alan-cross

Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Tahoe Dave;2155238]I told my son about the infotainment saga, he sent me this thread and asked "Is this what you're talking about..."

That article echoes people like me who would rather not have a feature than a feature that doesn't perform as advertised, or doesn't work at all.
The only two things I use my infotainment system for are music and GPS. For music, either radio (infrequently), thumb drive, or USB cable to phone. I did occasionally listen to Spotify--that is before the only useful app in the InControl basket was withdrawn. GPS for locations that I've already labored to load, otherwise Waze is Wayze better.
I still love this car and have no intentions of moving on, just expressing an opinion that I've also passed on to Jaguar USA.

Quick Reply: Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto