F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019 | 11:40 AM

I use Waze or Google Maps for navigation as well - the problem is that there's no good place to mount my phone in the car because of the center vent design. I don't want to use the grab handle as it places the screen way too far from my line of sight as I drive. Android Auto / Apple CarPlay would solve this issue.

The following users liked this post:
ryd003 (12-31-2019)
Old 11-17-2019 | 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
I use Waze or Google Maps for navigation as well - the problem is that there's no good place to mount my phone in the car because of the center vent design. I don't want to use the grab handle as it places the screen way too far from my line of sight as I drive. Android Auto / Apple CarPlay would solve this issue.
A suction cup iMagnet works extremely well for me.

Carbuff2 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019 | 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

I use a similar mount, but I put it on the drivers side. That way I can tuck the power cord next to the seat. I use the socket in the console.
(Jaguar brilliantly designed the cover so as not to crimp the cord when closed.)
https://www.scosche.com/

Old 11-19-2019 | 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I use a similar mount, but I put it on the drivers side. That way I can tuck the power cord next to the seat. I use the socket in the console.
(Jaguar brilliantly designed the cover so as not to crimp the cord when closed.)
https://www.scosche.com/
I powered it similarly but routed the cord under the passenger side center console trim. With it being on the passenger side, my arms are long enough to reach it, yet it’s far enough away, I don’t need reading glasses to read it.

Old 11-20-2019 | 03:20 PM
|

My car has been updated and I am going to pick it up in a hour. I am not optimistic but will update you guys. They said they did two updates to the car.

malbec (08-19-2020)
Old 11-20-2019 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Unoplop
My car has been updated and I am going to pick it up in a hour. I am not optimistic but will update you guys. They said they did two updates to the car.
Coooool. Can't wait to find out the definitive answer to this.

Old 11-20-2019 | 08:44 PM
|

Got car back. Paperwork says it was updated to 251 but I see no diff and no car play.

Old 11-21-2019 | 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Unoplop
Got car back. Paperwork says it was updated to 251 but I see no diff and no car play.
Well, that sucks. I'm still not sure why JLR even mentioned the 2018 F-type in the H251 bulletin if this update doesn't really even have a noticeable difference from the previously running software. Although, I suspect you may now have a wifi option in the car that can be used to connect to the internet for future software updates. But that, in my view, makes life easier for Jag versus for the actual user/owner.......

Old 11-24-2019 | 08:24 AM

I had my car in for an unrelated service and they did the free update. When I went to pick up my car and was informed about the update, i inquired as to why they would bother with the update if my car had the smaller screen and would not benefit from it. I was told that it would also correct a few bugs such as freezing, etc.

Here is the problem. My system performed flawlessly since I purchased the car new in April of 2018. It has been a few days since they did the upgrade, and now I am experiencing a host of problems, some of them I was told would fix issues others were having. I mainly play music from my i phone with Amazon Prime. I never had an issue before. Now it sometimes will not play and at times if it does play, it will stop in the middle of a song and go back to the radio. As i mentioned, I never experienced any of this until the upgrade. Any ideas. I don't think it is possible to go back to the original software pack.
I am going to request that they not perform any updates unless discussed with me and I approve it.

FeralSVR (11-24-2019)
Old 11-27-2019 | 02:10 PM

Is that mount suction-only or is there glue/tape as well?

Old 11-27-2019 | 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scottf
Is that mount suction-only or is there glue/tape as well?
suction only. All that’s needed.

Old 11-27-2019 | 04:11 PM
Default I have a 2018 f-type

I have the 18 f type and yesterday I got my car upgraded at the dealer. I can see the display of my iPhone 11maxpro on the screen but in a abbreviated version. The buttons around the screen are just useless. But I don’t mind. And the nav screen
has a much richer display.

Old 11-27-2019 | 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by HeinzXtype
I have the 18 f type and yesterday I got my car upgraded at the dealer. I can see the display of my iPhone 11maxpro on the screen but in a abbreviated version. The buttons around the screen are just useless. But I don’t mind. And the nav screen
which screen do you have? does that mean you got carplay working?

bb_sam (11-27-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HeinzXtype
I have a 2018 as well. What do you mean that the buttons on the side, "are just useless"? Do they no longer function?

Old 12-04-2019 | 10:57 AM

I had my 2017 R in this week to replace an O2 sensor and mentioned the update. They were unaware of it and suggested it only applied to certain VIN ranges, and that my car was showing as "up to date" in their system. Oh well.

Old 12-04-2019 | 11:42 AM

I gave up on this "Free Update". Recently took on a small DIY project to create a mount for a 10in iPad in the Jag. Basically I noticed that between the infotainment system panel and the AC control panel, you can fit a credit card snug, so I decided to make a "L" shape metal bracket + Scosche magnet bar to hold up the tablet. Wrapped the metal with some felt and leather from a fabric store to make it look nice. This v1 work well, but for v2 I'm looking to plastic dip the metal because the leather makes it thicker between the panels. If you guys want more details, I'll provide descriptions.

Scosche Bar:
https://www.amazon.com/MEBSR-MagicMount-Magnetic-Adhesive-Smartphones/dp/B07FNMFLSR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GE9DO22D741X&keywords=scosche+bar&qid=1575481085&sprefix=socoche%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/MEBSR-MagicMount-Magnetic-Adhesive-Smartphones/dp/B07FNMFLSR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GE9DO22D741X&keywords=scosche+bar&qid=1575481085&sprefix=socoche%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-1

Old 12-05-2019 | 09:39 AM
|

Yes, would like more info on that post.

Old 12-05-2019 | 11:52 AM
Banned

It's been a couple weeks since I attempted the free infortainment system update that I described in an earlier post. I connected my phone to the USB port yesterday for the first time since then and the system no longer recognizes my phone.
Has anyone else experienced any strange results from trying update themselves?

Old 12-06-2019 | 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bb_sam
So the dealership didn't have any pending infotainment updates noted for my vehicle. I had to show them the screen shot of the SOTA that attempted to download the 19B software to prove that my car was even eligible for it. Eventually, the Shop Manager was willing to update the ICTP manually -- but he said that it takes 2-3 hours (it uploads from scratch versus the individual updates that come across on the SOTA). I couldn't spare that time (they had no loaners for me) so I'll have to go back if I want to do this manually.

The Shop Manager was actually quite knowledgeable about the system. He's skeptical that the smaller 8" screens will actually allow for Apple Car Play -- he seemed to suggest that it might update to the19B software but that Apple CarPlay wouldn't actually be visible or useable. He just hasn't seen any pre-2019MY F-types that have been able to get this update. He couldn't, however, reconcile the H251 bulletin that very clearly identified my VIN as being eligible for the smartphone pack (including carplay) update. He thought that maybe it was an error on the part of JLR to have even listed the F-type as being eligible.

I am still getting notifications via the SIM card in my car that there is an update -- but the installation keeps failing. So, I'll have to either make an appointment and let them manually update the system -- or I'll wait to see if the 19B gets a further update that works once it's downloaded to my vehicle.
bb_sam I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2018 F-TYPE (X152) 400 Sport with the InControl Touch Pro. My VIN range is in between: K41513 - K55803.
The dealer I purchased the car from did the free system update to 19B but they were unable to load the Smartphone Pack installed. Prior to purchasing the vehicle, I was assured by three different dealerships that Android Auto could be loaded into the system. It was my #1 requirement for a vehicle and I would have just purchased a 2019 otherwise. I took the 400 Sport to the local dealer and the head mechanic has been with Jaguar for over 40 years and has a relationship with the head mechanic from Jaguar HQ in New Jersey. Neither of them were able to force the smartphone pack to install into the system.

I am now searching the forums to try and find anyone that has a 2018 within the vin range and with the inControl Touch Pro that has had the Smartphone software pack successfully installed. I would like to reach out to the dealership that was able to complete the install so I can refer them to my local dealer.

Old 12-07-2019 | 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Erok

I am now searching the forums to try and find anyone that has a 2018 within the vin range and with the inControl Touch Pro that has had the Smartphone software pack successfully installed. I would like to reach out to the dealership that was able to complete the install so I can refer them to my local dealer.
Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone with the 8" screen who has successfully upgraded to the Smartphone pack. From what I've read, our vehicles (ie those within the VIN range) have everything required to run the Smartphone pack -- *except* the required 10" screen. My theory is that the same software could work on the 8" but Jaguar would have had to program the 19B software to adapt to the smaller 8" screen -- which they clearly didn't want to do since the 8" screens are now obsolete.

If you do find a way to force the smartphone pack on -- please do let us know.

Quick Reply: Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto