F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar offering free update for 2016-2018 models for Apple Car Play and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 05:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone with the 8" screen who has successfully upgraded to the Smartphone pack. From what I've read, our vehicles (ie those within the VIN range) have everything required to run the Smartphone pack -- *except* the required 10" screen. My theory is that the same software could work on the 8" but Jaguar would have had to program the 19B software to adapt to the smaller 8" screen -- which they clearly didn't want to do since the 8" screens are now obsolete.

If you do find a way to force the smartphone pack on -- please do let us know.
my my18 400 sport was in this am for the h251 upgrade. Just Got a call to say that Jaguar have discontinued this upgrade as there is an issue with it blowing the fuses. They said that if they resume doing it I will be informed by letter. Am I being fobbed off?

Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Well my wife is going to hate to hear this. She loves Waze.

Last edited by pjazz; 12-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tahoe Dave, what ever came of your upgrade?

Old 12-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mav1371
Hey Tahoe Dave, what ever came of your upgrade?
Regarding my upgrade, the dealership reported that my MY 17 F Type (as we all know) will not take the upgrade. I also have a MY 2016 XJL Portfolio which has had an ongoing infotainment gremlin. I'll make a very long story short, which is somewhat unbelievable. The XJL would not take any software downloads so JLR approved the replacement of the ICM (InControl module). The part took almost two months to arrive and the dealer had the car for two weeks to do the install. When I picked the car up, the InControl was still not working. They subsequently informed me that a "software patch" was soon to be released which solves this problem. I waited another two weeks and called to check-in on the progress. I was told by the dealership the following, "we never know what the contents are of the new downloads, we will have to perform the upgrade and see if it solves your problem..."

You really have to love these cars to put up with this crap!

Old 12-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried to cast Waze to a heads up display unit? Not sure where I’d mount this in the F-Type.

https://gethudly.com/wireless

Old 02-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I finally got back to the dealership so they could do a hard reboot of the infotainment so as to upgrade the software. Alas, I have everything required for the apple carplay EXCEPT the 10" screen. Turns out, I waited so long to do this that I'm now running software 19C versus 19B which is what is referenced in the H251 notice. The result -- no change at all to the interface/user experience. It is exactly the same as it was before. I do get a sense that the system is a bit more responsive -- it changes screens faster (no lag) and I also noticed that on start up the audio sources (radio, SirusXM, iPhone) come up a lot faster than before. Otherwise, no change -- and definitely no CarPlay.

What's ironic is that while they did the upgrade, I had a 2020 Discovery as a loaner -- which has the newer 10" screen and all the latest software. I didn't realize that with AppleCarplay you have to plug the phone into the center console. That's annoying. I'm actually thinking that I'm better off using my Soche mounted phone holder.... with the iphone positioned in the landscape direction, it actually isn't that bad and it's way more convenient than having to plug the phone into the console.

One final thing that is still annoying -- why did they even include 2018 and older F-types in this upgrade notification program. None of these cars have the 10" screen ... so none of them would have benefited from Apple Car Play ... seems like someone made a mistake to even include the 2016-18 models.

Last edited by bb_sam; 02-07-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is in the shop as we speak. I am prepared to be unimpressed.

It was actually kind of unkind of Jaguar to send that bogus letter about the upgrades and apple car play after removing Spotify and other software.

The wife's 2016 Ram pickup is far superior to my luxury sports car in the radio department.

It is not a lot of trouble to pull to the shoulder and stop to adjust the cell phone to use Spotify.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I have CarPlay on my 2018 Discovery and I use scosche mount and BT streaming on my F Tyoe and XF

To be honest I'm pretty indifferent between them. On long drives CarPlay is nice to have Spotify and waze right there on the big screen. But for shorter journeys I find it a pain that they take over the Centre screen which is also used for mundane tasks like heated seats or other car features controls. Making it a multi button press to access them

Convenience wise and usability is basically the same. In fact the BT scosche mount approach is prob slightly easier as no plugging in the phone every time I want to drive, and location of phone is better mounted for waze than the center display which is a bit lower
So I don't think it's a big deal.

The following users liked this post:
bb_sam (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
The result -- no change at all to the interface/user experience. It is exactly the same as it was before. I do get a sense that the system is a bit more responsive -- it changes screens faster (no lag) and I also noticed that on start up the audio sources (radio, SirusXM, iPhone) come up a lot faster than before. Otherwise, no change -- and definitely no CarPlay.
Well, I spoke too soon. As I was driving today, I noticed an alert come up on my screen -- it was an incoming text message! Never seen this before. It gave me the option to "read text" to me -- when I selected that option, I heard silence but it didn't read the text to me. When I touch the "phone" tile, I now see a new item called "messages". It shows the name of the sender and the first few characters of the message (see pic). If i click on the arrow to the right of the message, it allows me to send a number of fixed replies (ie "I'm driving I'll call you later", etc). This is definitely a function that wasn't there before. It isn't working properly since it doesn't actually read the message to you -- but it seems like JLR tried to give us some functionality here.

The following users liked this post:
malbec (08-19-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Woo-Hoo, got my car back after 5 days for an oil change. Washed as well.

Got the update. Electronics like the radio coming on is quicker. The door buttons no longer require three pushes to operate.
]
Not bad. Just like a 1999 Jetta.

No apple car play. That letter was just a joke. Funny stuff.

Drove a 2018 loaner XF diesel. Nice car. I can see why it was discontinued. 100% overpriced. No apple car play on it either. One of the top ten cars that depreciate the fastest.

After more than 48 years of experience with English car electronics, the Lucas jokes are not funny, but true.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Banned
Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkatb
Woo-Hoo, got my car back after 5 days for an oil change. Washed as well.

Got the update. Electronics like the radio coming on is quicker. The door buttons no longer require three pushes to operate.
]
Not bad. Just like a 1999 Jetta.

No apple car play. That letter was just a joke. Funny stuff.

Drove a 2018 loaner XF diesel. Nice car. I can see why it was discontinued. 100% overpriced. No apple car play on it either. One of the top ten cars that depreciate the fastest.

After more than 48 years of experience with English car electronics, the Lucas jokes are not funny, but true.
The only Lucas joke I recall is from decades ago: Why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Because Lucas makes their refrigeration equipment.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts
Old 02-10-2020, 03:00 PM

“Lucas, prince of darkness!”

Old 10-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
I have a 2018 as well. What do you mean that the buttons on the side, "are just useless"? Do they no longer function?
useless meaning that when my iphone is connected thru a genuine Apple cord to the usb in the middle armrest, my CarPlay now works but it cuts off the ability to use the hard buttons on either side of the display.
I had to convince the service advisor that my car could get upgraded even with the hard buttons on the sides because I have a 2018, I have a sim tray with an active sim (it’s by the usb in the armrest) and my in control shows I have a touch pro membership .
apparently 2018 models that are within the vin numbers like mine, have a 8inch touch pro display. Then in 2019 they turned that 8touch pro into a 10. The service advisor is brain dead , it took me to force him to do “ all available updates” for it to finally happen. He swore that it wouldn’t work. But it did.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeinzXtype
useless meaning that when my iphone is connected thru a genuine Apple cord to the usb in the middle armrest, my CarPlay now works but it cuts off the ability to use the hard buttons on either side of the display.
I had to convince the service advisor that my car could get upgraded even with the hard buttons on the sides because I have a 2018, I have a sim tray with an active sim (it’s by the usb in the armrest) and my in control shows I have a touch pro membership .
apparently 2018 models that are within the vin numbers like mine, have a 8inch touch pro display. Then in 2019 they turned that 8touch pro into a 10. The service advisor is brain dead , it took me to force him to do “ all available updates” for it to finally happen. He swore that it wouldn’t work. But it did.
I have the same setup (2018, SIM tray) and my vehicle shows Touch Pro. Do you have any extra details I can give to the dealer to get the update?