F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014 | 01:19 PM
|
Default Jaguar reliability

2014 JD Power three-year dependability survey was published yesterday and Jag did pretty well compared to where some might suspect they have been on the list... Jaguar does still have a lot of work to do in terms of changing some of those old stereotypes and perceptions, but the numbers do point to Jaguar making some continued improvements. My own sense is that those old reliability concerns are one of the main things limiting Jaguar's growth (as impressive as that has been in percentage terms in recent years). People do seem to take the JD Power results somewhat seriously so this can only help.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar reliability-12c2f593e902b8db6cf63cb81ccf78b2x.jpg  

Last edited by swajames; 02-13-2014 at 01:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
schraderade (03-21-2014), themacs (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014 | 02:02 PM

I agree with your feelings on the old myths of Jaguar. It will take some time to change and dispel them IMO.

Lexus continues to blow all away. I wonder where Tesla would be if they could be included?

Still even Lexus 68 issues with every 100 cars seems a lot. Mini has almost 2 problems with every car on average.

It must be us picky public! LOL

Old 03-21-2014 | 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar turnaround story is a great example of automotive industrial consolidation done right. I would never have expected this to happen under Tata's ownership.

And 3 years ago I would never have seen myself ordering a jag.

Looks like Aston Martin may be next in UK consolidation.

Old 07-21-2014 | 03:45 PM

Unfortunately, the 2011 JD Power 3 year reliability rankings had Jaguar at 4th. There was, and still may be, a link to the report in the press section of the forum. Relying on my fuzzy memory, the top five were Lincoln, Lexus, Toyota, Jaguar, Porsche. Am not aware of the intervening years rankings.

Old 07-21-2014 | 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GreyXK
Unfortunately, the 2011 JD Power 3 year reliability rankings had Jaguar at 4th. There was, and still may be, a link to the report in the press section of the forum. Relying on my fuzzy memory, the top five were Lincoln, Lexus, Toyota, Jaguar, Porsche. Am not aware of the intervening years rankings.
The study is performed every year.
Jaguar's record is pretty volatile:

Jaguar problems per 100 vehicles
  • 2011 - 112 (industry average: 151)
  • 2012 - 172 (industry average: 132)
  • 2013 - 164 (industry average: 126)
  • 2014 - 132 (industry average: 133)

Old 07-21-2014 | 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

In all the years I've bought cars, and lots of them, I've only been surveyed by JD Power once, so I wonder about the sample size.. anyway, I assume the findings are overall and generally correct.
Am now on my third Jaguar (XJR, XKR, FtypeR) and no issues that I can remember, so other than some nit-picky thing that I don't recall, its all been good. Can't say the same for some of my other 'rides'. Hope it stays that way.
Actually, I marvel at how the car companies can build in such rather good consistency when you consider the massive increase in electronics usage.
I can remember years ago when engines, transmissions and brakes had intermittent problems across the vehicle spectrum, yet these mechanical bits seem to be pretty much fool proof now if you look after them.

A year ago a friend of mine who is a mechanic at Jaguar said they had a XKR come in with a blown engine (rod right through the block) and the owner was pissed and ranted on and on, that he had only been cruising along etc.. The mechanic pulled the computer data and it showed that he had totally red lined the engine on decel(didn't know you could do that, but then I guess the red line limiter wouldn't hold on decel) and this was repeated a few times just before it blew. He said it was away over !
Jaguar called the guy on it ... but ended up replacing the engine free of charge anyway. I was totally impressed with Jaguar for doing that.
My guess is that he was a repeat customer and not just a one time leaser.
Anyway, what people tell you sometimes about how something blew on a car seems to not always be what really happened..
Lawrence.

Old 07-21-2014 | 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
In all the years I've bought cars, and lots of them, I've only been surveyed by JD Power once, so I wonder about the sample size..
My experience has been the opposite. JD Power and 4-5 other survey companies have polled me multiple times for each car I've purchased in the last 15-20 years. Usually for initial quality, dealer experience, long term reliability. It's gotten to where I don't even respond to the smaller survey companies anymore.

Old 07-21-2014 | 04:39 PM
|

The proverbial money shift is always a risk with a manual box, but not sure how that could happen with an automatic transmission?

Old 07-21-2014 | 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I look at this as 5 maybe 6 tiers: tier 1: Lexus; Tier 2: Mb-Toyota; Tier 3 Porsche-GMC; Tier 4 Ford-Nissan; Tier5 Audi-VW and Tier 6 - the rest. It would be more informing if they could distinguish severity of problems. A malfunctioning glove box is not like a blown water pump.

Old 07-21-2014 | 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I look at this as 5 maybe 6 tiers: tier 1: Lexus; Tier 2: Mb-Toyota; Tier 3 Porsche-GMC; Tier 4 Ford-Nissan; Tier5 Audi-VW and Tier 6 - the rest. It would be more informing if they could distinguish severity of problems. A malfunctioning glove box is not like a blown water pump.
Yeh, good point. I don't really pay attention to these anyway, except for the extremes such as Lexus, yes good, Chrysler Jeep , not so good.
Lawrence

Old 07-22-2014 | 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Are all problems treated the same? I find it hard to believe that MINI is so beloved by their owners if they had so many major problems. Maybe MINI's problems are minor whereas Dodge's problems are huge?

Old 07-22-2014 | 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
Are all problems treated the same? I find it hard to believe that MINI is so beloved by their owners if they had so many major problems. Maybe MINI's problems are minor whereas Dodge's problems are huge?
Hard to believe problems are similar. One part problem could cause a lot of complaints. I think you need to look at several years of data and more specific info from owners. I read this forum for a number of months to see what types of issues people were having.

Old 07-22-2014 | 10:32 PM

Speaking as a life-long Mopar buyer (until my wife's first Lexus IS-F, that is), I can tell you the issues vary from minor to major. I had pretty big repairs done to both of my Vipers under warranty as well as a lot of smaller stuff. My 2011 Ram has actually been pretty good, except for the passenger seat that has rattled intermittently most the time I've owned it and the recall to fix a pinion nut whose failure could cause the driveshaft to drop out of the vehicle!

When I switched from Vipers to the F-Type I was concerned about Jag's quality (this is my first Jag) but I knew that it wouldn't be any worse than the Viper's and also that my experience at the Jag dealer (which is combined with the Porsche dealer here) would be significantly better than my experience with any of the Dodge dealers in town. One of the things that can help mitigate the sting of vehicle quality issues is a good experience with the dealer. Luckily, I've not yet had any issues with the Jag but I'm sure the dealer will be better than Dodge.

My wife is now on her second Lexus IS-F and I have to say that over the long-haul the IS-F has been the best engineered, best built and best quality car I've owned (too early to tell on the Jag - it only has 1800 miles) and the Lexus dealer has treated us better than even the Jag/Porsche dealer has, which is saying a lot.