F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Should Reconsider the F Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 04:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F-type-r-2022
BMW is the replacement engine builder which is why I bought my 2022 F-Type.
Do you mean new F-Type V8 engines are made by BMW now? Never heard of that before, but curious if that's the case, since I'm considering a '24. Thank you.

Originally Posted by kb58
Ferrari guy will want to buy a Ferrari, and a Jaguar guy, a Jag. Likewise, I think that a Corvette guy will want a Corvette and won't be so easily swayed to jump off a brand that that he's so emotionally invested in.
Most car enthusiasts I know (including myself) are sports car guys, not 'x' brand guys. I've owned Corvettes, Porsches, Audis, Mustangs, a Nissan GTR, etc. I'm not brand loyal at all, since all brands can make crap cars. And even a particular model could be great in one iteration, and crap on another. As far as the C8, I told myself I'd never buy another Corvette ever again, but the truth is the new one is like day and night compared to the previous front-engine iterations. If it didn't have all the DCT issues it keeps having 5 year later, I'd probably have bought one already. So that's why I might still end up with a P450 RWD. But it's a big if, since the only local dealer anywhere close to me folded back in July (not just LR). I'm not in a hurry, so we'll see where the discounts go, while GM gets its act together, and stop having DCT issues on the C8 once and for all.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Do you mean new F-Type V8 engines are made by BMW now? Never heard of that before, but curious if that's the case, since I'm considering a '24. Thank you.

A few years ago JLR floated the idea of replacing the AJ133 V8 with the Beemer 4.0 litre twin turbo V8 and the motoring press jumped all over it and pushed it as a near certainty. JLR built the AJ133 (and later the AJ126 V6) from the get go in 2009 at the Ford Bridgend (Wales UK) engine plant on a dedicated production line under a deal with Ford.
That deal expired in December 2020 and JLR then moved production of the AJ133 and AJ126 to their new engine plant at Wolverhampton (a multi-billion pound state of the art engine plant built mainly for the Ingenium line of modular engines both petrol and diesel). There was some talk of JLR replacing the AJ133 and AJ126 with a hotted up version of the I6 Ingenium petrol and maybe as a mild hybrid, but the I6 is too long for the F-Type engine bay so JLR has so far stuck with the AJ133 and AJ126. These engines are still being built at Wolverhampton as I type and are still being slotted into F-Types and various Range Rovers. Now that JLR have said they are going all electric by 2025 there is no longer any talk of replacing the AJ133 and AJ126 with any other ICE engine(s).
My bet is that JLR will NOT go all electric ever let alone by 2025 and the AJ133 and AJ126 will continue to be built for many years yet!

Old 01-07-2024, 05:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty sure the BMW engine is now in some Ranger Rover Land Rover offerings, but not in any Jaguars.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
A few years ago JLR floated the idea of replacing the AJ133 V8 with the Beemer 4.0 litre twin turbo V8 and the motoring press jumped all over it and pushed it as a near certainty. JLR built the AJ133 (and later the AJ126 V6) from the get go in 2009 at the Ford Bridgend (Wales UK) engine plant on a dedicated production line under a deal with Ford.
That deal expired in December 2020 and JLR then moved production of the AJ133 and AJ126 to their new engine plant at Wolverhampton (a multi-billion pound state of the art engine plant built mainly for the Ingenium line of modular engines both petrol and diesel). There was some talk of JLR replacing the AJ133 and AJ126 with a hotted up version of the I6 Ingenium petrol and maybe as a mild hybrid, but the I6 is too long for the F-Type engine bay so JLR has so far stuck with the AJ133 and AJ126. These engines are still being built at Wolverhampton as I type and are still being slotted into F-Types and various Range Rovers. Now that JLR have said they are going all electric by 2025 there is no longer any talk of replacing the AJ133 and AJ126 with any other ICE engine(s).
My bet is that JLR will NOT go all electric ever let alone by 2025 and the AJ133 and AJ126 will continue to be built for many years yet!
J said all electric by 2025, but there will be a '25 F-Pace SVR.
LR has never said all-electric any time soon.
LR does indeed source some (1?,2?) BMW engines.

Last edited by bobjagbob; 01-07-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bobjagbob
J said all electric by 2025, but there will be a '25 F-Pace SVR.
LR has never said all-electric any time soon.
LR does indeed source some (1?,2?) BMW engine.
How do you know this about the 25 F-Pace SVR? Are you saying that you definitively know that Jaguar will be taking new orders for this SUV for model year 2025, and that they are not just "left over" 2024 orders that got bumped to the 2025 model year or whatever?

Old 01-07-2024, 07:21 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Pretty sure the BMW engine is now in some Ranger Rover Land Rover offerings, but not in any Jaguars.
This is correct. It is being used in some of the RR/LR offerings, and because it has the new Bosch ECU, VAP (so far) cannot tune it (as is true with most of the aftermarket tuners out there).

Old 01-07-2024, 07:34 PM

How do you know this about the 25 F-Pace SVR? Are you saying that you definitively know that Jaguar will be taking new orders for this SUV for model year 2025, and that they are not just "left over" 2024 orders that got bumped to the 2025 model year or whatever?
You can still place an order for '24 F-Pace - do I know when a vehicle will be delivered? Nope.

Do you consider a '24 that is pushed to a '25 not a '25, are we playing "distinction without a difference" ?

Old 01-07-2024, 07:51 PM

You can still place an order for '24 F-Pace - do I know when a vehicle will be delivered? Nope.

Do you consider a '24 that is pushed to a '25 not a '25, are we playing "distinction without a difference" ?
2 scenarios:

1) Someone orders an F-Pace SVR before they close the order banks for the 2024 model year, and then the car ends up having to be marked as a 2025 due to timing/delays.
2) Order banks for the 2024 model year for the F-Pace SVR are closed, but someone is still able to order an F-Pace SVR because they are allowing cars to be able to be explicitly ordered as a 2025 model year car.

Those are 2 very different things. #2 would be a clear indication that their "Reimagined" all-electric lineup is not being executed on. That's a big difference.

So, have your heard anything from a dealer, or anywhere else, suggesting that #2 is a thing? That is what I was asking. By the sounds of it you have not.

Cheers

Old 01-08-2024, 01:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

2 scenarios:

1) Someone orders an F-Pace SVR before they close the order banks for the 2024 model year, and then the car ends up having to be marked as a 2025 due to timing/delays.
2) Order banks for the 2024 model year for the F-Pace SVR are closed, but someone is still able to order an F-Pace SVR because they are allowing cars to be able to be explicitly ordered as a 2025 model year car.

Those are 2 very different things. #2 would be a clear indication that their "Reimagined" all-electric lineup is not being executed on. That's a big difference.

So, have your heard anything from a dealer, or anywhere else, suggesting that #2 is a thing? That is what I was asking. By the sounds of it you have not.

Cheers

Old 01-08-2024, 02:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Just checking in to see how well this has aged...
I think it has aged quite well, frankly. If you go on Corvette forums, even for the largest dealers, the wait times have decreased.....from 3 years to 2 years.
Many people are just fed up with waiting and are settling for the base model.

There is also the choice between the Z06 and Eray, with the Eray faster from a start and the Z06 at the top end. The number of Z06's is diminished to make room for the Eray, thus extending wait times.

As others have said, there continues to be problems with the transmissions as well. It seems you either have a good one, or one that breaks at 500 miles. Many owners are really upset waiting for a car for this long, having it explode, then having a relatively unskilled dealer replace a major component. Is it free of charge? Sure. People do not have piece of mind

Is all of this worth it for a person who will only drive on the street? Tough call....when the car is almost double the cost with the Z07 package.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX

I'm late to the party on this one. A MY25 F Pace - interesting. Where is the page from - is that their website or something the dealer shared with you?

Old 01-13-2024, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I'm late to the party on this one. A MY25 F Pace - interesting. Where is the page from - is that their website or something the dealer shared with you?
I asked the same thing in another thread where this was also placed, but I don't think he ever provided it (unless I missed it). I would be curious to directly check it out myself.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts
Old 01-16-2024, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by PatentlawTX
Incorrect. If you look at Corvette forum, approximately 50 percent of the people will not be buying now. Will they sell every one? Maybe......

But...the thought of the thread is that some may consider the Ftype now that Z06 is out of reach.
They are only moving 200 units per year of the Ftype. They could easily pick up lots more sales.
Not everyone cares about it being a flat crank unit. If it was supercharged instead......fine. Turbos.....fine.

This part following the "incorrect" - they are and will continue to sell everyone of them....right, a 2 year wait is better than a 3 year wait.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

I was at my dealer yesterday and saw 3 I-Paces on the floor.
Decent looking EV but limited range (250 miles) and slow charging unless you have a 460V charger.
But somewhat inconsistent with the switch over to all electric, I just read that slow sales of the (only) JLR EV mean they will stop building the I-Pace next year.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Decent looking EV but limited range (250 miles) and slow charging unless you have a 460V charger.
I think the limitation on charging speed is in the car, not the chargers.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:08 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

This is going to get REALLY ugly...

https://mishtalk.com/economics/only-...-next-vehicle/

Only 6 Percent in the US want an EV for their Next Vehicle

January 15, 2024•
7:15 am•
169 commentson Only 6 Percent in the US want an EV for their Next Vehicle
EconomicsDemand for EVs is crashing in the US. Only six percent want an EV for their next vehicle but 67 percent want an ICE up from 58 percent last year.
2024 Global Automotive Consumer Study

Please consider the Deloitte 2024 Global Automotive Consumer Study

Four Key Trends
  1. Slowing EV momentum may be putting current decarbonization timelines in jeopardy.
  2. A significant number of consumers may be thinking about switching vehicle brands.
  3. Interest in connectivity features may not fully translate into revenue and profit.
  4. Younger consumers are interested in vehicle subscriptions, as a growing number of them question if they need to own a vehicle going forward.
BEV Charging Time and Anxiety Range

Old 01-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Really ugly, also from the "Mish Talk" quoted above.
"Eight Inconvenient EV Truths
  1. EVs are more expensive
  2. EVs are inconvenient for anyone who needs a public charger
  3. EVs are inconvenient for anyone who drives long distances
  4. Insurance costs are higher
  5. Maintenance costs are higher
  6. Repairs take longer and parts are in short supply
  7. Minor accidents can be very costly requiring a new battery
  8. Consumers don’t want the damn things and rightfully so
Those are the inconvenient facts.

To repeat, most consumers (94 percent) don’t want the damn things and rightfully so."

Since the next part of this discussion would be political I'm not going to go there.
Thierry screwed the pooch to go in that direction (J all EV by 2025) and that seems to have been a monumental mistake.

Last edited by bobjagbob; 01-18-2024 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:35 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Disgruntled Jaguar enthusiasts looking for Monsieur Bolloré:

Last edited by SCMike; 01-17-2024 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SCMike:
bobjagbob (01-17-2024), stirlingsilver (01-22-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:36 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Nobody wants an EV.
Lots of Muskovites want to virtue signal their love for the man.

I've seen statements that vehicles contribute only 10% globally to carbon emissions so even if every vehicle was electric it wouldn't actually fix global warming anyway. And the lithium battery fires, however rare, contribute more to toxic emissions than ICEVs.

Last edited by scm; 01-17-2024 at 04:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
bobjagbob (01-17-2024), Thunderjet Racing (01-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Should Reconsider the F Type