F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Should Reconsider the F Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 04:58 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

It's stories like this that feed that 6% interest number for sure. An extreme example, but nonetheless, still a real practical problem with current battery tech. Things will have to improve towards avoiding scenarios like this described here in the article:

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/...n_deep_freeze/

Part of Canada right now are running -50 Celsius.

The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
bobjagbob (01-17-2024), stirlingsilver (01-22-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:58 AM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

That article sounds like it was written by a five year old.

Batteries suck in the cold, we've known this for as long as we've had batteries. If you live in an area that hits -50, electric cars aren't for you (yet).

Old 01-18-2024, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bobjagbob
Nobody wants an EV.
YOU don't want an EV. You don't speak for me.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatentlawTX
Incorrect. If you look at Corvette forum, approximately 50 percent of the people will not be buying now. Will they sell every one? Maybe......

But...the thought of the thread is that some may consider the Ftype now that Z06 is out of reach.
They are only moving 200 units per year of the Ftype. They could easily pick up lots more sales.
Not everyone cares about it being a flat crank unit. If it was supercharged instead......fine. Turbos.....fine.
Originally Posted by dangoesfast
YOU don't want an EV. You don't speak for me.
Updated my post above to include from the "mish talk" :

" To repeat, most consumers (94 percent) don’t want the damn things and rightfully so."

Have a great day Dan!

Old 01-18-2024, 11:56 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

That article sounds like it was written by a five year old.

Batteries suck in the cold, we've known this for as long as we've had batteries. If you live in an area that hits -50, electric cars aren't for you (yet).
Facts are facts...regardless.

It's not the EV concept that people have a problem with, it's the reason that EV's were transported from the golf course to the street MUCH sooner than they should have been [and without a great deal of thought] that has turned people off [and rightly so].

Allow the market decide when it's time for widespread adoption, because the only thing that could cause this scope of mayhem is government and corporations working side by side in an attempt to impose an ideological position based on pure non-sense with a generous helping of corruption and plenty of payola, resulting in a financial disaster that enriched the few and is going to bailed out [once again] by the taxpayer [COVID being the textbook example].

Markets make the right decisions because markets are millions of people voting with their wallets. Top-down imposition is almost always off course because it is mostly ideology that rules the day. Didn't anybody pay attention to what happened in the 20th century?

The following 3 users liked this post by synthesis:
bobjagbob (01-18-2024), OzXFR (01-18-2024), SassySarah (01-22-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 01:45 PM

Updated my post above to include from the "mish talk" :

" To repeat, most consumers (94 percent) don’t want the damn things and rightfully so."

Have a great day Dan!
Please post a direct link to the study that produced that number.

While we wait, here's a study that determined 52% of surveyed new car buyers in 2022 were planning an EV for their next car.

​​​​​​Here's another poll that found 42% of surveyed respondents are considering an EV right now, and "19% categorically don't want an EV."

Looking forward to seeing your data.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 01-18-2024 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:10 PM

While we wait, here's a study that determined 52% of surveyed new car buyers in 2022 were planning an EV for their next car.

​​​​​​Here's another poll that found 42% of surveyed respondents are considering an EV right now, and "19% categorically don't want an EV."

Not my data, not my study, see post #57 above.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

It's no real surprise that anti EV/pro ICE sentiment is stronger in the US which traditionally has benefitted from lower petrol prices and a resultant pretty relaxed approach to fuel efficiency, and biggish travel distances in circumstances where EVs are much better as city/suburban cars due to their inefficiencies on highway runs.

Oddly enough, there is a car buying public outside of the US and even here in Australia (where we have some of the EV inconveniences like big travel distances, but no real problems with extreme cold) EVs are pretty much the flavour of the decade. Personally they dont excite me, but then again not much in the way of cars does excite me nowadays, the F Type, XE, and Mustang are probably going to see me through, but if I had to replace any of them I certainly wouldnt be paying big money for another new ICE which is essentially getting less and less attractive with reduced noise, smaller engines, turbocharging, and hybrids. Most likely I'd be looking at something like the Ionic 5n, which as an EV at least attempts to deliver some engagement through artificial noise and gear shifts, at a lower price point which is appropriate to my lower interest point.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:47 PM

Went from 52% to 6% in two years. What a difference getting the truth out makes. Of the 6%, probably 98% of them are just going to use them "in town" and the other 2% are late to the party virtue signalers.

Why would anybody buy a car that is limited in its usage? Or whose battery could catastrophically blow-up? Or one that has re-fueling issues? Isn't life challenging enough?

The following 3 users liked this post by synthesis:
bobjagbob (01-18-2024), SassySarah (01-22-2024), Thunderjet Racing (01-21-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:46 PM

Not my data, not my study, see post #57 above.
Ahhhhh see you forgot something really important.... countries other than the US exist. There's actually a couple of hundred of them. Amazing, I know!

Last edited by dangoesfast; 01-18-2024 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bobjagbob (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding original topic:
Corvette buyers have had nearly 10 years to cross shop the F-type and very few ever have. Bringing it back doesnt change anything. Corvette prospectives are MUCH more likely to cross shop the new Lotus emira (read: MR, new, flashy, sporty) than any F type jag could muster.
People dont appreciate what they have until it's gone. I love my F type and am dead confident it will be remembered as a legendary gem car buyers of the time didnt deserve.

Regarding the EV debate:
Ev's suck and cost a lot.
they'll suck less AND cost less than ICE cars in 10 years or so.
I will reconsider then and only then.
I promise you all it will never be too late to buy an EV.

But the manual RWD sports coupe is dying before our very eyes and I'll be damned if I dont get one in every color, flavor, sound and scent before they're gone for good.

I'm at 4 and counting. Keep em coming.

Last edited by JoeyTheAsian; 01-18-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Need I say more??

The following 3 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
JgaXkr (01-19-2024), stirlingsilver (01-22-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:50 PM

Ahhhhh see you forgot something really important.... countries other than the US exist. There's actually a couple of hundred of them. Amazing, I know!
That's true, but they just don't matter as much [market-wise].

bobjagbob (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 03:36 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
That's true, but they just don't matter as much [market-wise].
Well China certainly does. Everyone is trying to get a piece of that market, moreso than North America.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Well China certainly does. Everyone is trying to get a piece of that market, more so than North America.
Not so much. China is a complete mess for all kinds of reasons...plus their economy is not consumer-based. The U.S. economy is 70% consumer.

Somewhere down the road this might be the case, but China is in for several really rough decades...if for no other reason than their demographic implosion. The U.S. is going to come out of this current global mess in MUCH better shape than everybody else [for all the reasons it has been on top for the last century].

As a reminder, the U.S. has massive geography, technology, natural resource, agriculture, military, energy, education [what's left of it], and all kinds of other advantages. China only has people and it's going to lose half of them over the next fifty years. Their water, food, energy, and everything is in horrible shape [not to mention that they have a dictator who has seemingly eliminated most of anybody who help right this sinking ship of state].

Do yourself a favor and short China...BIG time!

Old 01-20-2024, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bobjagbob;2713480"
To repeat, most consumers (94 percent) don’t want the damn things and rightfully so.
I've just re-read the stats posted and "94 percent don't want an EV" is not supported by the graph. 6% are considering purchasing a full EV, 16% a HEV, and 5% a PHEV.... so it might be fair to say this study concludes "73% don't want an EV" (generously including the 5% who answered "other" or "don't know") but to get to "94% don't want one" from that graph is either a flat out lie.

The 70 year old technophobe that you're getting your EV news from doesn't even understand his own numbers 😂

P.S. The graph also add up to 99%, not 100%... who/where are the missing 1%?

Last edited by dangoesfast; 01-20-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:48 PM

I've just re-read the stats posted and "94 percent don't want an EV" is not supported by the graph. 6% are considering purchasing a full EV, 16% a HEV, and 5% a PHEV.... so it might be fair to say this study concludes "73% don't want an EV" (generously including the 5% who answered "other" or "don't know") but to get to "94% don't want one" from that graph is either a flat out lie.

The 70 year old technophobe that you're getting your EV news from doesn't even understand his own numbers 😂

P.S. The graph also add up to 99%, not 100%... who/where are the missing 1%?
The graph says, for the US, which is all I care about, 94% don't want an BEV. Do you want me to draw a circle around the "6%" to make it easier to see?

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/page...mer-study.html

Oh right, Deloitte is a 70 year "technophobe". LOL, seems like you forgot to mention the source, no?

And then there is the matter of also ignoring the clear statement " Note: Other includes vehicles with engine types such as...percentages may not add to 100 due to rounding? I posted the chart so you could take another look, enjoy!

Old 01-21-2024, 03:28 PM

The graph says, for the US, which is all I care about, 94% don't want an BEV. Do you want me to draw a circle around the "6%" to make it easier to see?
Nope, you've misunderstood it. Easy to do when the site that posted the stats prefaces it with their personal political opinions. Even I took your word for it and didn't read the graph properly.

6% want an EV.
16% want a PHEV.
5% want a HEV.

That's 27%, which leaves 73% who want something other than an EV. 5% said they don't know or "other" and it's hardly fair to include those in the "categorically don't want an EV" group, so now we're left with 68%.

Want me to draw circles for you?

Oh right, Deloitte is a 70 year "technophobe". LOL, seems like you forgot to mention the source, no?
I'm not talking about Deloitte, I'm talking about the old fart whose website was linked to who has intentionally skewed the numbers to suit his political agenda by claiming someone who wants a PHEV or HEV fits into the "categorically don't want an EV" group. That's a flat out lie - that's a group of people who want an EV, but aren't quite ready to jump the whole way most likely due to concerns over range or charging infrastructure, which is a logical and reasonable concern to have in the techology's infancy. If those respondents "categorically don't want an EV" like your mate claims, they'd be in the ICE group.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude from this study, which represents 0.00028% of the US population, that "68% don't want the damn things..." but to interpret this graph as "94% don't .." is just transparent dishonesty.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 01-21-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

You can buy your next Lamborghini EV from WangYang (not!!)

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/a...tesla-2b698578

Old 01-22-2024, 08:27 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I retired from Tesla in 2019. I have nothing against EV's or Elon Musk. They aren't for everyone and still have a way to go before they are more practical in many if not most applications.

My interest in Tesla succeeding is purely selfish as I own a fairly large number of shares. In fact it was the astronomical rise in value of TSLA in 2021 that allowed me to buy my 2021 F Type R and pay cash for it. When people find out that I used to work for Tesla they ask me why I don't own one. For the limited driving that I do now in retirement, a Tesla would actually make a lot of sense. However I find them about as attractive looking as a baby Beluga whale and as an old motorhead that has owned almost nothing but sports cars my entire life, I still like an ICE vehicle that makes a lot of noise and I don't give a damn about climate change nor global warming. Which I am highly skeptical about anyway.

But any automaker who isn't developing an EV at the moment, or worse, like GM and Ford, doesn't have the capital to invest in R&D and modern manufacturing methods, and doesn't have the brainpower on their staff like Tesla has is getting further and further behind.

I once asked Elon if he had plans to introduce a 2 door sports coupe version, something to compete with the BMW's and Audi's for example. He smiled and said he had plans for a lot of new versions but at that time they were selling the existing models as fast as they could make them and had limited space for an additional assembly line. But give them time. They are still at least 5 years ahead of everyone else. We'll see who will be their biggest competitors. But it's not going to be a significantly bigger market until around 2030. And I think the stupid government mandates are going to be abandoned as the world won't be ready for all EV's by 2035.

PaulBarrrera (01-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Should Reconsider the F Type