F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Warranty... issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

This went sideways really quickly...

On my car, it is the V6 but has all the same guts as the V8 outside of the block itself.
If the rear diff on the V8 can handle 600 HP that a SVR makes, it can take my 430-440ish with tune and pulleys. With that said, warranty should and did cover it.
The warranty states that any part which fails due to a modified part will be excluded.
They can not prove that the rear seal sprung a leak because of the mods, so the work is covered. you can't prove that rear seal sprung a leak because of my mods either, so I am not being entitled but smart.

As for the insurance thing... I will leave it alone as you guys are going in 2 different directions with it and trying to argue that one is better than the other. I can tell you that if I drive my car on the road and a dog jumps in front of me and I wreck, I will use my insurance weather I was going 20 MPH or 100 MPH.

The following 2 users liked this post by PunisherFType:
Brutal (06-15-2017), Dan's cat (06-20-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

V6 and V8 have different diffs - mechanical LSD for V6S, electronic diff (e-diff) for V8...

Somehow, this thread makes me think of Monty Python:
"Excuse me, is this the room for an argument?"...

Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

..."This thread..."

Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I quit.

Larry

Old 06-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

"I could be arguing in my spare time...."
--Monty Python

Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisherFType

As for the insurance thing... I will leave it alone as you guys are going in 2 different directions with it and trying to argue that one is better than the other.
Nobody suggested such a thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Leaving aside the chip "mod" I suspect another reason Jaguar might cite is that despite getting a warning message in the dash you potentially didn't mitigate damage by continuing to drive an additional two or three miles. In the UK, where there is road construction causing the loss of hard shoulders, they usually post signs telling you to just pull up in the "slow" lane and use your hazard flashers to signal for assistance. They used to have cameras and would alert roadside recovery and the police to get you to safety and clear the road (they advised you not to stay in the vehicle obviously!)

I've read similar tales on non-Jaguar forums for oil and water warning lights being "ignored" for a couple of miles and resulting in the failure of the engine.

I think there was a member on the XF/R forum here who was rebuilding his V8 5.0 for something similar when Jaguar told him the engine was toast and needed replacement. Maybe rebuilding your engine would be a more economical approach ?

Not saying it sucks any less....

Last edited by stmcknig; 06-23-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Huh? The OP had a leaking diff seal, not a blown engine. The dealership decided to honour the warranty- good on them!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Huh? The OP had a leaking diff seal, not a blown engine. The dealership decided to honour the warranty- good on them!
Sorry, this was in reply to post #21 from Dan's Cat which I thought was in a different thread about him needing a new engine but not clear what brought about the damage and the reluctance of Jaguar USA to intervene due to overheating from a blown coolant hose but a "chip" being discovered at the Jaguar dealer.

I will step away from the keyboard for a while and have a lie down. Please feel free to move my post to somewhere more relevant/appropriate if you wish...

Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Sorry, this was in reply to post #21 from Dan's Cat which I thought was in a different thread about him needing a new engine but not clear what brought about the damage and the reluctance of Jaguar USA to intervene due to overheating from a blown coolant hose but a "chip" being discovered at the Jaguar dealer.

I will step away from the keyboard for a while and have a lie down. Please feel free to move my post to somewhere more relevant/appropriate if you wish...

I'm not one o' them fancy modulators that can move threads. They get the actual keys to the corporate jet, I just get pictures of the corporate jet.

My Jag dealer has chips, they're right next to the pretzels and coffee machine.

The following users liked this post:
amr42 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
My Jag dealer has chips, they're right next to the pretzels and coffee machine.
Yes, but these are JLR approved OEM chips.... There's a big difference!

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (06-28-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Regardless of any legal precedent that has been set, I kind of side with the manufacturers. Someone installs a modification onto their car - which Jaguar has no insight into how that modification has been developed and tested or by who, how it affects performance or other operating characteristics of the car and how it was installed. The car then breaks, and they have to cover the broken component.

How are Jaguar to know or validate how much power a pulley and tune or other mods add to a car? Or impact to other components? Other than the say so of a modifier or individual that has installed the mod?

Adding additional power to a vehicle adds additional stress and loads to components and running gear.

To my mind, if you are willing to install a third party component onto your car that alters / increases the performance characteristics and hasn't been developed or tested by the manufacturer you should also accept responsibility for any breakages that occur.

Let me be clear I am not anti modding cars - most of my previous cars have been modified. However to my mind the onus should be on the modifier to prove that the mod did not break the car - not the other way round. Like I said to begin with - its a risk I believe the individual who decides to mod their car should bear as they are the one who has chosen to alter the car from original specification.
The important thing here is that your "opinion" doesn't really matter here in the States. The MMA was formulated for this EXACT scenario so yeah, the dealership would be responsible for PROVING that the engine mods created the problem and since the rear diff is the same on the more powerful SVR they... don't really stand a chance a such a position.

PS - Just saw after-the-fact that this is exactly what the dealer did... performed the repair on their dime as they could not align the mod to the fault. Unfortunately, there is no way to DELETE this post so I am simply editing it in support of the OP. Good to hear it was properly addressed

Last edited by ndabunka; 07-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
The MMA was formulated for this EXACT scenario so yeah,
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was brought into existence to allow consumers to have the choice of using third party parts or services designed to work the same as OEM - e.g. a non OEM oil filter installed by a non franchise dealer.

I don't imagine it was bought in to deal with modders looking to increase power of their vehicles over the manufacturers original specification for example by reprogramming the ECU causing additional strain on various components of the car.

But yes - modders are able to take advantage of this law too.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993

I don't imagine it was bought in to deal with modders looking to increase power of their vehicles over the manufacturers original specification for example by reprogramming the ECU causing additional strain on various components of the car.
But in many cases, reprogramming the ECU isn't adding anything outside of a Jaguar original specification. It's just that you're not paying Jaguar for that trim level. The V6 has a different tune in the base, S and 400 but the same hardware to get the different HP. If Jaguar were to offer an engine tune aside from the trim level changes I would take it. They don't. Other tuners can. I did. I'm not putting my engine under any more strain than the 400.