F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar's future

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Well, if you want a fast, luxurious, silent limo ....
The thing won't make it from London to Edinburgh, or San Francisco to LA. The purpose of a luxury sedan is to travel in comfort over a distance. It seems to me that too many of Jaguars efforts are half-baked. My F-Type certainly has a lot of appeal, but it doesn't represent much in the way of technological or engineering development. Jaguar would be history today, if Ford had not dumped billions into the company to get it up to snuff. I used to park my XK8 next to a fellow with an AM DB7 and we would share the thought that Ford sure made fine cars. Jaguar needs a rich automotive partner who can move them up the ladder.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
The thing won't make it from London to Edinburgh, or San Francisco to LA. The purpose of a luxury sedan is to travel in comfort over a distance. It seems to me that too many of Jaguars efforts are half-baked. My F-Type certainly has a lot of appeal, but it doesn't represent much in the way of technological or engineering development. Jaguar would be history today, if Ford had not dumped billions into the company to get it up to snuff. I used to park my XK8 next to a fellow with an AM DB7 and we would share the thought that Ford sure made fine cars. Jaguar needs a rich automotive partner who can move them up the ladder.
I agree that the new gen wants primarily tech, but the F-Type used to be psuedo retro and was generally purchased by drivers. I grant you the F-types appeal to older rebels has been largely lost with the new sedan-like front end, 4 bangers, and muzzled noises. I don't think Jags direction for the F would have survived long even without popping the everything bubble.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-02-2020 at 07:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacerX:
JgaXkr (05-02-2020), uclabrruin1989 (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I agree that the new gen wants primarily tech, but the F-Type used to be psuedo retro and was generally purchased by drivers. I grant you the F-types appeal to older rebels has been largely lost with the new sedan-like front end, 4 bangers, and muzzled noises. I don't think Jags direction for the F would have survived long even without popping the everything bubble.
The development and marketing of the F-Type like the peace of the Lord surpasses all understanding. The number of geniuses in the automobile business over time is not great. I expect you can count them on your fingers. Today who is there. With the passing of Sergio Marchionne I can't think of anyone. Ghosn is today's prototypical automotive executive. Oh, well.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Trust me, its doomsday.
Things are bad, to be sure, but I'm not sure I can take that step. I don't have faith in the conclusions you draw based on the data you cite.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
The development and marketing of the F-Type like the peace of the Lord surpasses all understanding. The number of geniuses in the automobile business over time is not great. I expect you can count them on your fingers. Today who is there. With the passing of Sergio Marchionne I can't think of anyone. Ghosn is today's prototypical automotive executive. Oh, well.
jaguars new f type and thier marketing of it is rubbish

Old 05-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Things are bad, to be sure, but I'm not sure I can take that step. I don't have faith in the conclusions you draw based on the data you cite.
Its the government's data, so I share your skepticism. I've been trading government-spawned financial disasters for decades and they always understate all the stats on purpose with the intent of revising down when no one is looking. Of course, being mindless bureaucrats with zero understanding of the impact of financial bad news in the past tense, they define "no one looking" as the media and not the market, which has no choice but to mark-to-market, causing catastrophic instant damage. Its always the same godzilla in snowshoes stamping out cities with a smile, but this one is an order of magnitude worse than all previous disasters I've traded, combined.

But you are right that there are a lot of great things about it. The best thing is prices plunge as currency is extinguished in the inferno of junk debt and default. That wonderful news for normal people. And the market is about to devastate the Fed Reserve, as it forces interest rates deep negative just like on-fire europe.

That means every bailout dollar they print-to-lend becomes a liability, not an asset. And just like the 1930s, that is when the musical chair needle gets pulled off the record (thats a vinyl disk with grooves carved in it). Once faced with negative rates in the 30s, congress passed over 50 Bills demanding Fed funding and all were denied. To the contrary, they called-in previous debt issue and FDR was "forced" to build, stock, then handover Ft. Knox via the GCA.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-02-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Why is it RacerX stats are not what is reported everywhere else. I have a Maser Ghibli S which we really like, not a german sedan but enjotable in a much different way. When the new Maser was adding cars they were selling 6000 units world wide and 2000 in US. These were incredably beautiful but incredably unrelaiable. Now they sell about 40000 but are considered a failure because they predicted 55000. They are over priced but they never sell or lease anywhere near sticker. Owned by Fiat and shares engineering with Ferrari. Why don't we look at Jaguar the same way. Owned by large company and now sharing engineering with BMW. If expectations are in line it isn't going anywhere. Also Jag doesn't apear to be over stored and most also have Landrover, which warranty service alone keeps them profitable. An example is Las vegas with 2.2 million people ane 1 Jag LR store, 2 Mercedes, 2 BMW, 2 Audi, all are big volume for the brand.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjg625
Why is it RacerX stats are not what is reported everywhere else. I have a Maser Ghibli S which we really like, not a german sedan but enjotable in a much different way. When the new Maser was adding cars they were selling 6000 units world wide and 2000 in US. These were incredably beautiful but incredably unrelaiable. Now they sell about 40000 but are considered a failure because they predicted 55000. They are over priced but they never sell or lease anywhere near sticker. Owned by Fiat and shares engineering with Ferrari. Why don't we look at Jaguar the same way. Owned by large company and now sharing engineering with BMW. If expectations are in line it isn't going anywhere. Also Jag doesn't apear to be over stored and most also have Landrover, which warranty service alone keeps them profitable. An example is Las vegas with 2.2 million people ane 1 Jag LR store, 2 Mercedes, 2 BMW, 2 Audi, all are big volume for the brand.
It's not about sales numbers or company health, that doesn't matter. 2020-2023 is a monetary event. Companies are tiny little wave riders. A monetary event drains the ocean to a new sea-level.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

It's not about sales numbers or company health, that doesn't matter. 2020-2023 is a monetary event. Companies are tiny little wave riders. A monetary event drains the ocean to a new sea-level.
Damn, that's deep!
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
i like the look of the concept car but if THIS is the guy that is responsible for the dumbing-down of the 2021 F Type design, i'm not going to hold my breath.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...elegant-future
That's supposed to be a GT car? What is the likelihood of any lady wearing a dress being willing to climb into something like that? Definitely an intriguing design. but would require a gymnast to get into it.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Doomsday prophet is the second oldest profession in the world and has a lot in common with the oldest.

When all day long you hammer, everything starts looking like a nail. I am too in paranoia-inducing profession (information security) and I have to always correct my perceptions by reminding things that could plausibly go wrong do not necessary do so.

In my field we work hard on finding and preventing bad things from happening. We also happen to help clean up after bad things happen. Just because you see a way for something bad to happen does not mean it will. For every organization that got hacked as a result of negligence there are hundreds that keep on going, business as usual. This why we frame everything as a risk and mitigation - these are about modifying probabilities. They are never 0% or 100%.

Last edited by SinF; 05-03-2020 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Lani Kai (05-04-2020), sov211 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

But you are right that there are a lot of great things about it. The best thing is prices plunge as currency is extinguished in the inferno of junk debt and default. That wonderful news for normal people. And the market is about to devastate the Fed Reserve, as it forces interest rates deep negative just like on-fire europe.
Sure it could happen.

Here is another scenario that could happen. The world, realizing that everyone's currency is in the toilet decides to go to USD as these are still backed with biggest guns, most food, and most tech in the world. While the world burns, USD is up and cost of borrowing goes negative as every Hassan, Ivan and Chen rush into dollars. This allows US Government to effectively offload COVID costs on the rest of the world. China tries to object, with help of Russia, but after initial engagement with US task force in China Sea, the Chinese losses are so staggering that they back down. Turns out, guidance systems they copied had backdoors. Your doomsday calls are all turn bad and now you are applying for a warehouse job at Amazon.

Last edited by SinF; 05-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
Sure it could happen.

Here is another scenario that could happen. The world, realizing that everyone's currency is in the toilet decides to go to USD as these are still backed with biggest guns, most food, and most tech in the world. While the world burns, USD is up and cost of borrowing goes negative as every Hassan, Ivan and Chen rush into dollars. This allows US Government to effectively offload COVID costs on the rest of the world. China tries to object, with help of Russia, but after initial engagement with US task force in China Sea, the Chinese losses are so staggering that they back down. Turns out, guidance systems they copied had backdoors. Your doomsday calls are all turn bad and now you are applying for a warehouse job at Amazon.
The USD, being a debt-based currency has a failure mode of soaring value, as debt default means fewer dollars. That's why every crises in our history is deflationary, six of which have reset to roughly zero. This is #7.

Or, in the Federal Reserve's recent foot stomping rant, "We do not make grants. We cannot make grants." Translation: sure we print money, just not for you.

Point being, extinguishing our currency and the resulting soaring dollar is not a flight to safety, it's collapse mode. Also note that all sovereign debt based currencies can collapse together, keeping exchange rates relatively constant as the buying power of each of them soars.

The key is to protect cash instead of burning yours in the bonfire. Which, if one does nothing is essentially impossible, unless nothing means you have a large C of I account.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Where does he get this crap? Brietbart?

Old 05-03-2020, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Where does he get this crap? Brietbart?
More likely Fox so-called News.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sov211
More likely Fox so-called News.
This is about Jaguar laying off half their workforce the first month of the depression. And if they have a future.

Let's keep your personal politics out.

Source for the current 51M unemployed (of 132M taxpayers which counts 20M government employees who are liabilities) is the BLS. Being the government, they are always wrong.

Source for the estimate of government error is the Economic Policy Institute's 50 state survey indicating 5 of 10 filing attempts resulted in government failure and 2 of 10 unemployed individuals are delaying filing.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-04-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

This is about Jaguar laying off half their workforce the first month of the depression.
And we have already established that isn't what happened.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by u102768
And we have already established that isn't what happened.
https://www.spglobal.com/marketintel...bally-58117693

if you add the pay cuts on top of the layoffs, which hammer the worker and coddle the executives, its more like a 65% reduction.

I'll be sad to see JLR go, but not that sad after reading this: "The news outlet added that Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth has agreed to take a 30% salary reduction, while the board will take a pay cut of 20% and the executive leadership team will take a 10% reduction."

I think we all agree management lost their way especially with the F-Type. Its a shame the workers bear the brunt of the slaughter while the fully responsible executive class engages in symbolic virtual signaling instead of resigning en mass.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-04-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:30 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

...I'll be sad to see JLR go....
Let's revisit this in a year, and then again in 2 years if you'd like.

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Let's revisit this in a year, and then again in 2 years if you'd like.
More like next week, that would make "a few."

'However, the Press Trust of India reported, citing a company statement, that Jaguar Land Rover will extend the work stoppage "for a few more weeks."'

With executive leadership taking a whole 10% pay cut for the team, who needs customers?

Last edited by RacerX; 05-04-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar's future