F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jealous people?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jealous people?

So this is a first for me. Went to a restaurant tonight and found a note on my car when I came out. I should have taken a pic of it before I threw it away. Anyway, handwriting looked like it was written by a woman. The note went something like this...

Let me congratulate you on your awesome car. Next time you make an illegal left hand turn and endanger the live of others I hope there is a cop there and nails you. It just proofs that guy's like you driving cars like yours feel entitled and don't care about the law.

Wow...Im taken aback by the blanket value judgement of "guys like you driving cars like yours". I'm no trust fund baby. I grew up poor. I have what I have because of my own hard work. Nobody ever just handed me anything. Traffic laws are violated by pretty much everyone no matter the car.

I wonder if other owners have encountered such judgment before. I'm quite befuddled.

The following 2 users liked this post by marcw:
AyyVlogs (04-07-2018), TobyJag (08-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw
So this is a first for me. Went to a restaurant tonight and found a note on my car when I came out. I should have taken a pic of it before I threw it away. Anyway, handwriting looked like it was written by a woman. The note went something like this...

Let me congratulate you on your awesome car. Next time you make an illegal left hand turn and endanger the live of others I hope there is a cop there and nails you. It just proofs that guy's like you driving cars like yours feel entitled and don't care about the law.

Wow...Im taken aback by the blanket value judgement of "guys like you driving cars like yours". I'm no trust fund baby. I grew up poor. I have what I have because of my own hard work. Nobody ever just handed me anything. Traffic laws are violated by pretty much everyone no matter the car.

I wonder if other owners have encountered such judgment before. I'm quite befuddled.
Sooo...did you make an illegal turn or not?

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Burt Gummer (09-27-2017), Don1954 (04-09-2018), SinF (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

^^^This

Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Scoflaw!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Not really as a comment on the OP's real or imagined offense, but I go out of my way to be "proper" when driving the F-Type. Certainly there are times when I take off from a light and more than a few speed limits may have been violated. But, when it comes to parking lots, traffic situations, and turning/merging traffic, I make a effort to be overtly courteous. No doubt, the F-Type draws a lot of attention, and I'm all the more conspicuous since I have an eagle scout personalized license plate that reads "UNC." I prefer to have folks remember the hot red 'vert who waved them in vs the entitled jerk who cut them off. No matter what, there will always be a jealous contingency, but I've gotten several notes on the windshield - all good.

The following 6 users liked this post by uncheel:
99Gsp (09-27-2017), jetsetter883 (03-19-2021), TobyJag (08-27-2020), TR64ever (10-07-2017), Uk2usa (09-27-2017), zmoothg (09-27-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by marcw

Forgetting whatever it was that peed off the note writer; it does seem that society has, to some extent, gone from respecting the hard work and effort that went into a persons material success, to resentment.

Perhaps too much entitlement thinking has left many people unwilling to tackle life in a productive way and they simply prefer to resent people like you that have become successful.

Of course the media/hollywood and so forth, seems to create division by often portraying materially successful people as uncaring and selfish.

All you can do is enjoy your car and forget others opinions.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
andykreb (04-08-2018), TobyJag (08-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Just be thankful your car wasn't keyed...

The following 4 users liked this post by buickfunnycar.com:
Burt Gummer (09-27-2017), ndabunka (04-08-2018), Westwood (10-07-2017), zmoothg (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Forgetting whatever it was that peed off the note writer; it does seem that society has, to some extent, gone from respecting the hard work and effort that went into a persons material success, to resentment.

Perhaps too much entitlement thinking has left many people unwilling to tackle life in a productive way and they simply prefer to resent people like you that have become successful.

Of course the media/hollywood and so forth, seems to create division by often portraying materially successful people as uncaring and selfish.

All you can do is enjoy your car and forget others opinions.
Lawrence
I haven't generally found this to be the case. I have even had a number of panhandlers ask me about the car, and congratulate me on my good fortune. Every time I take the car out for a drive I get positive comments or gestures (thumb versus middle finger).

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
TobyJag (08-27-2020), zmoothg (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

At the gas station the other day a scrawny homeless-looking meth-head told his buddy 'rich stuck up mf-er with his fansy *** car ...' just loud enough for me to hear it.

Like the OP I've worked for everything I've owned and have even been very poor/homeless in my life.

Rather than try to school someone like Mr Meth on reality it is never worth your time.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've certainly had similar experiences, although that's typically more when I'm driving the Range Rover. I get pretty much all thumbs up on the Jag.

Agreed with the poster above, I try to be much more diplomatic while driving the F type. I'm not sure if it's because the Jag attracts more looks and I don't want to mix the positive attention with driving like a dick or, I just don't want my car keyed. The answer probably lies somewhere in between.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

I should have mentioned that I believe the F-type, for lack of a better description, is as good as it gets for NOT getting people jealous and bitter.

The F-Type says the owner is more fun-loving than a snob. Just my opinion.

Chances of getting keyed in a dark alley with a Lambo or Ferrari - very high; F-Type not so much, or at least I am hopeful.

Unfortunately we live in a world of backward, stupid, jealous, superstitious people. No way around it unless you move to your own island.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
George Carlin

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 09-27-2017 at 06:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
AyyVlogs (04-07-2018), jetsetter883 (03-19-2021)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I should have mentioned that I believe the F-type, for lack of a better description, is as good as it gets for NOT getting people jealous and bitter.

The F-Type says the owner is more fun-loving than a snob. Just my opinion.

Chances of getting keyed in a dark alley with a Lambo or Ferrari - very high; F-Type not so much, or at least I am hopeful.

Unfortunately we live in a world of backward, stupid, jealous, superstitious people. No way around it unless you move to your own island.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
George Carlin
What's wrong with superstitious?

BTW - that's one of my favorite Carlin quotes of all time!

Old 09-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

It's a pretty dramatic dichotomy of wanting to fly (drive) under the radar with something as bold, beautiful and boisterous as an F-Type. No easy feat. And regardless of how "well-mannered" one might drive there will always be those who will be jealous and/or harass you.

Last year I was harassed and actually followed closely by 8 cars - I think they were F-Types - and try as I might couldn't shake them. Thankfully no one was hurt. Or ticketed.

The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
buickfunnycar.com (09-27-2017), Desert Dawg (09-30-2017), Unhingd (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

But really you shouldn't have made that illegal left hand turn. I hope this discourages you from doing it again.

The following 3 users liked this post by zmoothg:
Burt Gummer (09-27-2017), dmchao (04-09-2018), ndabunka (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve gotten far more than my fair share of “You barely even look old enough to drive” and “Wow your parents must be rich”. Like the others here, I’ve worked for every penny too and drive so courteously it’s ridiculous. —And I’m not anywhere near 16.

Maybe it just depends on the city you live in, but I’m pretty tired of all the people going out of their way to take you down a notch. Love the car, but some days it really makes me consider selling. No one likes being hassled for minding their own business.

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (04-09-2018)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I haven't generally found this to be the case. I have even had a number of panhandlers ask me about the car, and congratulate me on my good fortune.
Once a homeless woman kicked the passenger side door on my XJ8. Police said she was insane. While few are really dangerous, some kind or level of mental illness is very often the case and that means they are unpredictable. Thankfully it didn't break the paint and, Dave, my paintless dent repair guy was able to massage it back straight. But ever since then, I will drive blocks out of my way to avoid those panhandlers on the corners.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I had a guy tell me to slow down in a parking lot while going 15 mph. I was in first gear in sport+dynamic. Can't help it if the car sounds fast all the time.

The following 4 users liked this post by Nati:
Burt Gummer (09-27-2017), Desert Dawg (09-30-2017), mbelanger (04-08-2018), zmoothg (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Situation awareness is always a good thing also. If I know I'm going to need to park in a seedy area I take my van.

My friend owns a little bar in the Rockwood area of Portland. No F-Type. Van only.
Not to sound like a snob, which I was not, but damn. Sub humans on patrol.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I had a guy tell me to slow down in a parking lot while going 15 mph. I was in first gear in sport+dynamic. Can't help it if the car sounds fast all the time.

This ^^^^
I'm constantly telling people the car just sounds like its going much faster than it really is...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
mbelanger (04-08-2018), ndabunka (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by xoai
I’ve gotten far more than my fair share of “You barely even look old enough to drive” and “Wow your parents must be rich”. Like the others here, I’ve worked for every penny too and drive so courteously it’s ridiculous. —And I’m not anywhere near 16.

Maybe it just depends on the city you live in, but I’m pretty tired of all the people going out of their way to take you down a notch. Love the car, but some days it really makes me consider selling. No one likes being hassled for minding their own business.
Haha, I remember when I got my first one and my boss said: you're family must be rich, I don't pay you enough to get that car.
I went with it. I just let everyone think my family had old money, even though I just got a good deal on a demo car.