Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jewels in the Crown

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Jewels in the Crown

The book, Jewels in the Crown, by Ray Hutton is a good read as it covers a fair bit of the early days and focuses on the Tata deal to a great extent.
The detail is not overbearing, yet it gives a pretty clear picture of how the company was turned around.
Another book comes to mind and I think it was called "Car guys vrs. bean counters", by Bob Lutz who was instrumental in the GM turnaround. This book is more detailed with inside information as Bob Lutz was vice-chair of GM so he was obviously privy to a fair bit of detail. I enjoyed this book as well a couple of years ago.
One of the overriding principles of the turnaround(s) was pushing the 'bean counter' mindset out of the way so the 'car guys' could get on with building decent (GM) and fabulous (Jaguar) cars.
Lawrence

Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Lawrence thanks for the review.
I really enjoyed the book too.

Just downloaded car guys vs bean counters for a read. Am generally a fan of renaissance in manufacturing occurring in the West after the global financial crisis, and this book sounds like another relevant read.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Lawrence thanks for the review.
I really enjoyed the book too.

Just downloaded car guys vs bean counters for a read. Am generally a fan of renaissance in manufacturing occurring in the West after the global financial crisis, and this book sounds like another relevant read.
Actually it may have been you that first mentioned the 'Jag' book on this forum a month or so a ago... so I ordered and did enjoy it.
Lawrence