F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

This is all bogus . . to a degree. Modern Jaguar products are fine. Build quality is very good and so is reliability. I've had 3, and each is better than the one before it. That said, the issues are with the infotainment systems. They are a generation behind the competition, and don't have Apple CarPlay. They have their InControl Apps thing which is a big fat joke. They tried to have JustDrive be their CarPlay equivalent, and if you got it to work, it was a credible alternative and in some ways offered better features than CarPlay. But they pulled the plug on it as of June 1, 2018 leaving us with 2011 technology and no workaround.

The new system has issues and many people complain of having Bluetooth connectivity issues. I know with IOS 11.4, my iPhone X drops its connection occasionally on my 2017 SVR, and it's the phone not the car. Still, people don't want this stuff from a new car that supposedly had all the "bells and whistles" and that costs a premium amount.

It's the stinking infotainment pure and simple. Can't believe they have not got this right yet.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

X, you could have said, “This is all correct........to a degree.”

Your comments on the crapfotainment systems are spot on IMHO. I would go a step further and add the driver assist/safety features are woefully out of date. On my vehicle I was pleased with the “build”quality other than the panel alignment.

The rate of technological change is increasing and so without a tremendous effort JLR will fall farther and farther behind. I worry about whether there will be a next generation F type given the gap and the small sales numbers.

Lastly, I don’t know how you chose 2011 but it seems about right to me.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

The worst of the pack is 1.5 problems per hundred vehicles?

I am 100% ok with those odds, and happy to have the most unreliable brand on the road.

These are amazing times we live in. I'll say it again... 20 years ago. Order of magnitude worse.

Especially given the complexity and performance of today's vehicles and how fussy everyone has gotten.

Ask me again how I feel when I'm on the side of the road some day

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 07-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-03-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 03:26 PM

I believe you are misreading the numbers. It’s 148 issues for 100 cars, or I.48 issues per car.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Ahhhhh, yes indeed I read those wrong.

I'm still ok with 1.5 problems per car. I figure half of that is infotainment related as others have said.

Overall these stats are just ridiculous to me. Is an engine failure equal to one problem just like a bluetooth pairing issue? Just IMHO.

I prefer the Consumer Reports more detailed data on each part of the vehicle.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I prefer the Consumer Reports more detailed data on each part of the vehicle.
Most enthuiasts become apoplectic when you mention CU. I spoke with the head of their auto test function once and I can assure you he was not a car guy. But there needs to be more than enthusiasm and CU and JDP provide some data as flawed as they might be.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have to say that my F-type is one of the least reliable cars that I have owned. I still like it, but I am dreading what it would take to keep it on the road once my F-type is in old age.

Especially problematic for me that JLR doesn't sell engine parts for it. Long-term, I will have to pick up couple engines from wrecks, once they come down in price.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Regardless of what JDP says and regardless of how much we like them, Jaguar did not get and hold its reputation for unreliability out of the clear blue sky. Everything on my XK8 failed even the ZF transmission. But I still bought another one

Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I have to say that my F-type is one of the least reliable cars that I have owned. I still like it, but I am dreading what it would take to keep it on the road once my F-type is in old age.

Especially problematic for me that JLR doesn't sell engine parts for it. Long-term, I will have to pick up couple engines from wrecks, once they come down in price.
Sorry that is entirely an erroneous assumption.
It would mildly be true IF your car was the only Jaguar that this engine was in- or even new, specialized, and highend model like the corvette motor.
In fact, your exact engine has been used in the cheapest and most expensive Jaguars, many years and models before your car and after your car was made.
As if that was not good enough.. The V6 JLR motor is MODULAR. Meaning its identical to the V8 engines in every way just 2 cylinders less.

But wait there is more- do you really think that folks who went to the moon to leverage the legend of the Etype are then going to abandon that lineage like it was some Honda civic??
Buy a Honda mate if you are worried about not being able to find piston rings. Changes are you wont be able to register a fuel burning car long before parts get hard to find.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Q&C, Can you cite the part number for a piston ring set - or if not sold as sets, any piston ring at all - for the 5.0 S/C engine?

SinF (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

... Searching myself, I can’t find JLR part numbers for these but do find aftermarket companies claiming to have new OEM parts on eBay.

My question stems from reading other threads where owners had great difficulty attempting to rebuild the 5.0 S/C.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ask me about the only parts known to fail on a 5.0 SC or NA.
Waterpump, vvt, timing chain, injectors, supercharger torsioner.
All very commonly available, many updated by JLR to address premature failure.

Or we could just believe that nearly a million vehicles, Land Rover, Range Rover, XF, XE, Ftype, XK, XJ, Fpace, have non-rebuilable engines (is that even legal) which would be a great thing- there will soon be a glut of parts on the market from unreliable-unrebuilable cars being scrapped.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe it. In less than 5k miles, have had both the transmission and the clutch replaced, a couple of rattles fixed, the fuel filler neck replaced, and now the windshield wiper fluid doesn’t squirt. Have never had this many problems with any car I’ve owned, much less one as new as this one!

I had high hopes. Now I just have a sour taste in my mouth and spirited driving is ruined by “what’s going to break next?”

Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Park next to me for a while maybe some of my good car mogo will find its way your direction. No problems here.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Q&amp;C, since I am known to time-travel now and then...<br /><br />Myself from 2025 needs to know where to get replacement head gaskets, as I now have coolant loss and overheating. Thankfully, I caught this issue in time and it didn't damage anything.<br />Myself from 2028 needs to know where to get replacement cam adjusters, one failed and causing misfires and codes.<br />Myself from 2030 needs to know where to source replacement timing chain, chain tensiometer, and chain guides. At 180K miles chain stretched and has excessive slack. It needs to be replaced or risk jumping.<br />Myself from 2036 needs to get a set of exhaust valve seals, as original ones are worn and cause blow-by. Also adjustable lifters got gummed up and cause intermittent issues, would be nice to replace them with fresh parts while there.

Last edited by SinF; 07-03-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Sin,
You will be laughed at in 2030 if you still have a camshaft on a track.
Electronic valves will be a greater improvement than forced air.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

From an article titled 5 best engines of this decade.
5. Jaguar AJ133 V8 & AJ126 V6 (2-in-1)

This engine has as much soul as Bono singing Moment of SurrenderYes, I know these are two engines I’m talking about here, but really they’re the exact same engine. And whilst the Jaguar V8 has been continuously been developed, the current third-generation AJ133 came into play in 2010, so for that reason, it deserves a place on this list. Due for replacement by a rumoured BMW 4-litre powerplant within the next few years, the AJ133 and 126 are two of the very best examples of pure, muscular V8’s and V6’s that belt out vocals like Bono singing <i>“Moment of Surrender”</i> at Glastonbury. But it’s not just the noise that make these great engines.For a bit of background, the AJ126, 3-litre, 90° V6 is essentially the 5-litre AJ133 minus 2 cylinders found in virtually everything in Jaguar-Land Rover’s arsenal. Apart from the smaller Land Rovers, that is. Going into the current decade, Jaguar went with a newly developed direct injection system with variable intake and exhaust valve timing. Naturally Aspirated versions feature variable cam profile switching and variable track length inlet manifold. Whilst the supercharged versions feature the sixth-generation of Eaton’s Twin Vortex Supercharger. Making as little as 380 bhp in the naturally aspirated models and up to 570 bhp in its most powerful guise, found in the new F-Type SVR, the V8 feels as smooth as double-cream and pulls effortlessly even in something like the N/A version of the XK and has seamless torque throughout the rev range. It really is an engine you can use day to day.
The V6 on the other hand is the more popular engine of the two, seeing as it’s in 99.9% of Jaguar-Land Rover’s products, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s powering their offices’ toilets. Like was said above, it’s their V8 minus two cylinders, plus a supercharger. Two options come with this one thus far; 340 bhp and 385 bhp. What’s more it’s also a very smooth engine; despite the forced induction, the power delivery is smooth, as is with superchargers, and is a very musical engine too with hints of the old straight-6’s. It rasps and burbles, even on a Range Rover. Alas, the AJ126 is due to be replaced too by a new Bi-turbo straight-6 based on their new modular Ingenium line of engines. So for now, let’s enjoy some rasp from this great V6 before its time is up

NBCat (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hades281
Q&C, Can you cite the part number for a piston ring set - or if not sold as sets, any piston ring at all - for the 5.0 S/C engine?
If you are actually interested- and dont know why you would be, go to this thread below, complete guide to rebuilding 5.0sc engine, and post# 88 answers your specific question.
Note this is a 10 year old engine and still the same engine in current Ftype
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-177468/page5/

Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
If you are actually interested- and dont know why you would be, go to this thread below, complete guide to rebuilding 5.0sc engine, and post# 88 answers your specific question.
Note this is a 10 year old engine and still the same engine in current Ftype
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-177468/page5/
While I appreciate and follow this thread, it is an argument against your position. This is master-mechanic level of knowledge into project for more than 12 months and there is still no running engine.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,811 Posts

See post 39 in this thread about successfully repairing an overheated AJ133:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-198197/page2/

Quick Reply: JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality