Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Again, the linked thread doesn't support stated position. Relevant quote:

what can I say I love it when someone says it cant be done, and maybe it cant, but I love the challenge. first off I was extremely lucky with the internals with this engine.
I knew about the parts being hard or not available. I did an extensive checking of the internals before committing. brgs,pistons,rings all in perfect order. I feel totally confident on
reusing what I cant get.
So machine shop owner was able to machine and shim an otherwise fine, except for warping, engine. This doesn't mean that we can rebuild engines. This means that in some narrow circumstances damaged AJ engine could be fixed.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,811 Posts

The point of the thread is that an AJ133 that was overheated can be saved using different techniques. If the internal parts of the engine were damaged, there is the option of fitting a used engine.

When time permits, I will purchase a used AJ133 and disassemble it completely so matching bearing sets and rings can be sourced.

It's anyone's guess what JLR may decide to do regarding internal engine components for the AJ133. They may decide to set up a 'remanufactured' process for replacement short blocks. Rather than debating the subject further, it may be best to just enjoy driving whatever vehicle you have with an AJ133 and see what happens when and if it does fail.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

A substantial point was made that needs to be underscored.
A young vibrant person emotional consumed with rare ailments that occur in old age, may pay a price greater than the ailment.

The point of available engine parts is moot on many levels- one being there is no demand- and that's saying a mouthful.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
For your reference
Your car (2014) did beat out a Kia when it was released.
2014 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) | J.D. Power
So do you think JLR quality has declined in the intervening period? People were so ecstatic about the new F type that they overlooked things? That JLR has not been able to keep up with the pace of technological change since 2014? That JDP’s methodology is so suspect it should be completely ignored? A combination of all of the above?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Suaro

So do you think JLR quality has declined in the intervening period? People were so ecstatic about the new F type that they overlooked things? That JLR has not been able to keep up with the pace of technological change since 2014? That JDP’s methodology is so suspect it should be completely ignored? A combination of all of the above?
Lets deduce systematically whats changed.
The quality could not have changed as it the same parts being made by the same robots.

Let us also not forget cars are now a universal venture, the same Harman Kardon headunit goes into 80% of the cars, same with ZF transmissions, charging system and majority of the other parts.
And they have upgraded the Harman and ZF trans to the latest and greatest since my car was awarded the highest quality JD had to offer.

Keep up with pace of technology: Jaguar was not known as a technology powerhouse when the previous glowing rating was published (my car for instance has air conditioned seats and collision alert, bluetooth, but no backup camera)

I believe what has changed is that Jaguar now attracts a wider audience, by making their cars far more attainable, the dialed down Ftype version for instance is half the price of mine. This audience is less circumspect and even apprehensive of a boutique exotic. Whereas former Jaguar owners were more accepting of the limitations of owning an exotic marquee. The battery issue is a great example, go look on the XK forum (same car electrically as Ftype) and no one has complained about it, and accepted as a fact of life. Same thing with the electronic differential.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

The quality could not have changed as it the same parts being made by the same robots.
I took a factory tour and while there are some robotic assembly, most of it is done by hand. Perhaps competent assembly line manager retired and was replaced by a diversity hire?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
I took a factory tour and while there are some robotic assembly, most of it is done by hand. Perhaps competent assembly line manager retired and was replaced by a diversity hire?
Boo. There is no place for that here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Suaro:
chenthu (07-05-2018), hades281 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Regarding JD Power results... Looking at the numbers, JLR has stayed roughly consistent between 2014 [132 problems] and 2018 [148 problems]. It's the industry around them which has changed. Follow Q&C's link to the 2014 results and you'll see that everyone but Lexus have problems per vehicle well into the triple digits. Then look at the 2018 numbers, where nearly all manufacturers are below 100 or just slightly over.

My criticism of JLR is constructive and loving in nature. I guarantee you nobody at JLR headquarters were pleased to see these results - even if they decide not to believe in them, some buyers will, and that's not good news for them on cars like the XE and F-Pace that need to be selling in volume and an overall product lineup that would benefit from stronger lease residuals. Every sales cubicle in a Lexus dealership have JD Power and Consumer Reports literature posted in plain view for a reason. JLR need to invest in infotainment - just punt already and roll out Android Auto and CarPlay - and focus more on build quality. The Meridian rattles and bad panel gaps - None of that stuff should have happened. I think they'll see huge gains just from that.

I'd like them to then target the cost of ownership in these cars. A quart of oil shouldn't cost $22, an oil filter $50, a windshield $1400, and a garden-variety transmission $17000. Make the cars easy to own and keep Jags on the road.

Last edited by hades281; 07-04-2018 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,811 Posts

After being in the automotive industry for over forty-five years, I can safely say the only ones who care about the J.D. Power & Associates surveys are the manufacturers. I have been part of customer focus groups for several mainstream manufacturers and the customers have different opinions of what make a vehicle 'dependable' or 'easy to use'. Some manufacturers even publish 'difficult to use' training items for dealership Service Consultants so they can address customer concerns in the service drive about 'infotainment' systems and other complex systems.

As I said previously, if customers cared about J.D. Power surveys, the brands ranking 'below average' wouldn't sell any vehicles. Then there are those like myself who could care less about the 'entertainment' items. We want to hear the engine and all the glorious mechanical sounds a vehicle can make. There was a company I worked for many years ago that believed one didn't need a radio in the car so the car could 'talk' to the driver without interruption. The manufacturers can never keep pace with the constant upgrades to mobile phones and 'infotainment' systems since the lead time is much different for a motor vehicle when compared with a mobile phone. If buyers want gimmicks, then let them purchase a Camcord or Korean car.

If 'garden variety' gearboxes refers to the ZF 6HP26/28, then BMW, Jaguar, Maserati and Rolls Royce must all be garden variety brands as they all use the same gearbox.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Queen and Country (07-05-2018), sov211 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

I also don't car about infotaiment system, my favorite infotaiment feature that you can turn it off with a physical button on my F-type.

It is disingenious to pretend that all problems in JD Power surveys relate to infotainment. My F-type had plenty of nuts&bolts hardware fail on it. For example, it is simply inexcusable how JLR handled manual transmission and clutch issues. There are plenty of other f**k-ups to justify J.D. Power ranking.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The transmission is the 8HP70, and while it is indeed used in various Rolls Royce products it’s also used in the Dodge Durango, Grand Cherokee, Chargers and other FCA cars with V8 power.

So then, garden variety. A Rolls has a lot of very special parts but this isn’t one of them. As I understand it, what basically differs is the case, software/calibration and the ratios can be customized.

This part sharing reveals the spare parts markup as you can find the 8HP70 in a Chrysler parts catalog and a Jag catalog along with a $12000 price difference between the two. They aren’t identical and interchangeable, but surely not different enough between them to account for an additional $12k.

Last edited by hades281; 07-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Why you should not trust your impressions.
They would not allow you where most of the assembly is actually done.
There is only one weld I know of on my coupe that is done by hand- and no one has ever complained about that.
Check this video out apparently handbuilt by robots

"Diversity hire?" indicative of you bringing emotions into this.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Why do you believe that phrase is emotional in nature, Q & C?

Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe

Why do you believe that phrase is emotional in nature, Q & C?
In the Birmingham area, if you had such a requirement as "diversity hire" you would have to employ Martians.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

In the Birmingham area, if you had such a requirement as "diversity hire" you would have to employ Martians.
Alabama has changed a lot since my last visit. (JK)

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
The manufacturers can never keep pace with the constant upgrades to mobile phones and 'infotainment' systems since the lead time is much different for a motor vehicle when compared with a mobile phone.
Like you, I am an insider in this arena.
There's a bit of nasty politics involved.
There is a monopoly- Harman.
Who have made it impossible for any competition
Then ensuring that their largest customers are protected.

There is no reason infotainment cant be as universal as a ZF trans; especially since its being made by one company.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Alabama has changed a lot since my last visit. (JK)
Good one!!!

Old 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Interesting proposition that the more expensive and rarer the car you buy, the more forgiving you will be of imperfections. I can understand that. If you buy a hand built Ferrari you accept some things don’t fit quite right in exchange for other things that make the car worthwhile. Whereas if you a buying a 35K Dodge you expect a dull but perfectly manufactured product. Ah, the wonders of mass production. So the moral of the story is F-Type owners need to be more accepting of imperfections and realize they come with a low production vehicle, but in the JDP survey they get swept up with XE buyers who get to complain all they want. Strange world.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Why you should not trust your impressions.
I actually visited factory, talked with production engineers, and seen production line with my eyes. They have capability to assemble and create a lot of parts robotically, however it is small % of total production capacity. Even then, there is still a lot of hand assembly for electronics and interior parts. My understanding, is that depending on production targets for F-type line you can end up with mostly hand build F-type. This is not necessary a bad thing, but it is a lot more dependent on human element - if good and experienced assembly line workers and competent management replaced by new workers and incompetent managment then you can end up with an inferior product.

They treated me rather well as an F-type owner. I walked on the factory floor. I have seen assembly line start to finish.

I think you are projecting too much. All it takes is "we need more X in Y for any values of X and Y" call for competence to be sidelined as a key consideration. Since in this context competence directly translates to build quality, any reduction will result in more defects.

Last edited by SinF; 07-05-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=SinF;1924383 My understanding, is that depending on production targets for F-type line you can end up with mostly hand build F-type. This is not necessary a bad thing, .
[/QUOTE]

Your understanding is misplaced. The Ftype cannot be built by hand if they wanted.
Lets be clear to others, the "Production line" you saw is just the packaging dept.
The specific items cited with quality issues- Ediff, Engine. Are not made on premises.

The small things Jaguar builds by hand, (and rightfully so) leather seats, no one has raised issue with.

I will name the things made by robots and you name the things made by hand (by Jaguar).
  • All aluminum body panels
  • Monocouque chassis
  • Primer and Paint

Quick Reply: JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality