F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR Going All Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Cars made in 60s are still road-worthy. Banning ICE in 2030 will not be enough to get rid of ICE in our lifetime.
From a mechanical degradation perspective, absolutely not.

Depending on where you live, however, I imagine that it could get significantly more difficult/impractical to own and operate an ICE vehicle in my life (pollution/registration taxes, reduced fuel infrastructure/EV charge point conversions, cost of gas/ICE parts relating to economies of scale, fewer technicians trained/training to serve combustion motors, etc).

I don't think gas cars will be priced off the road just yet, although I'm sure that's where my home state of California is ultimately headed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hell Cat:
Dave Whitefield (02-16-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 01:59 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Uncle Fishbits remarks, to me, hit on all counts. His thoughts on car "values" are thought provoking; and include the dollar value and how cars are "valued" as consumer goods. As a lifetime car nut who has achieved peak car love with my F Type; my one test drive in a Model 3 made me much less afraid of the future than I once was. I think too, there's a great niche between standard brands and the true high end stuff...Volvo's starting to play that angle... If Jag plays its cards right and can create some passion and emotion behind the Leaper, there's no reason why the all electric strategy can't sustain it's future. My next new car will be electric, and I'm looking forward to the prospect -- hell, the new crop of electrics are really getting some exciting ideas going. But I can assure you my R will remain ready for the fun drives.

The following 3 users liked this post by YRS:
BruceTheQuail (02-16-2021), Dave Whitefield (02-16-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 05:56 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
The following 6 users liked this post by Madscott:
1 of 19 (02-17-2021), ferrral (02-17-2021), JgaXkr (02-17-2021), Mbourne (02-16-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021), XJ8JR (02-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

The "what is this car" subreddit is amazing. They got this within one minute and 30 seconds. I drove by this tonight, it's a Volvo variant called a pole star, and it's a plug-in hybrid Grand touring coupe. Aesthetics are completely personal but this struck my eye
might as well compare what is out there and what is coming to what Jaguar will be doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polestar_1

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
enderle (02-18-2021), JacksonvilleJag (02-17-2021), JgaXkr (02-17-2021), Madscott (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:34 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I won't quote/reply, but it always strikes me as surreal when someone ignores the facts that the literal market forces are moving en masse in their best interest, and don't care about your feelings. Then you go and blame some little girl? Just such a different way of perceiving the world than me, I don't even know what to say to that type of needlessly petty, and weirdly informed, behavior. I tried to let that comment stand. But it's like saying "I hate all the new safety rules of football so I blame the guy that is dealing with a concussion".
edit: New Climate Maps Show a Transformed United States https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/

The coming northern migration is going to be absolutely unreal. Anyhoo... I always think of when people's opinions buck facts, science, data, objective reality. Like pushing back against a tidal wave of truth. Must be tiring.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:37 PM
Old 02-16-2021, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
This isn't parler, breitbart or some Q nutbag board. you probably ought to take your really incisive criticism of Biden and Greta back over there.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I am retired from Tesla. I get the move to EV's but they are not for everyone. It won't be long before the range is 500-600 miles on all models, but as others have pointed out, there are many, many problems with the infrastructure required for charging on a mass scale, especially for people who don't have the luxury of being able to charge at their home or condo.

The automakers are responding to three things: Demand, keeping up with the competition, and government mandates. And like most things that involve the government, the people who are making the decisions are mostly morons and don't understand the law of unintended consequences.

I also live in California, where all new cars sold after 2035 are supposed to be electric. We'll see how that works out. And a regime change, if at all possible could reverse that decision overnight.
As I approach age 66 I'm not sure how much longer I am going to be able to be a motorhead. Hopefully by 2035 I'll still be more lucid than Creepy Joe. I am awaiting a 2021 F Type R. People who know I worked for Tesla ask me why I didn't buy one of those, since their performance specs are so impressive. My answer was that I want a gas guzzling, fire breathing, loud, hydrocarbon emitting V8 sexy sports car while I can still buy one. I think when it arrives I am going to take a photo of me sitting in it and thumbing my nose and send it to Greta Thunberg.
I don't worship a 13 year old retarded brat either.

The following 3 users liked this post by 19FRG:
cstall (02-17-2021), David Dressler (02-18-2021), flymyway (02-18-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

This thread went from 0-60 faster than most electric cars

Let's try to be civil, gentlemen

The following 3 users liked this post by Hell Cat:
enderle (02-18-2021), rsa760041 (02-18-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm at the age where I probably won't be around for the results of what we continue to do to the world. I'm a lifetime car nut from my '59 TR3A to my Ftype. I thought the Triumph was great fun and all I could handle on "Dead man's curve" after school. I could never imagine as well an engineered car as my SLK55, but it still had handling challenges some 50+ years later. The Polestar and Lucid and new Audi and Porsche sedans are far better than we could have hoped for. I can only hope that a way is found to keep the sport in sports cars as they are sold in very small numbers. And at a price people can justify. +1 to Uncle Fishbits.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:59 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

The "what is this car" subreddit is amazing. They got this within one minute and 30 seconds. I drove by this tonight, it's a Volvo variant called a pole star, and it's a plug-in hybrid Grand touring coupe. Aesthetics are completely personal but this struck my eye
might as well compare what is out there and what is coming to what Jaguar will be doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polestar_1

That is a Polestar 1. Only 1500 will be built over three years, 500 per year. It costs $156K. I would love one if I could get one.

The design is roughly based on the Volvo S90 sedan, which I currently own and really enjoy.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

That Polestar is a very attractive vehicle. I once suggested to Mr. Musk that I thought a Tesla Sport Coupe, a 4 seater about the size of the original Infiniti G35 Coupe would be a good seller. Something to compete with the BMW and Audi coupes that sold in the $60K range. I also told him that I thought a more conventional appearing instrument cluster around the steering wheel that displayed needed info and a smaller than laptop sized touchscreen on the console would appeal to more conservative drivers who want an EV but want the car to have a driver's experience more like they were used to.
He agreed that a Sport Coupe sounded cool but said that at the time, their market research pointed to their current offerings and a pickup truck. But if the Polestar is successful, maybe a similar Tesla will be on the market within a couple of years. It certainly appeals to me more than the Model S, Y, or 3.
Jaguar might also have some success with a "personal luxury car" category Sport Coupe with an electric drivetrain. Electric vehicles don't have to be ugly !

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
Paul Fisher (02-17-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

I love this. Some new moonshiners tuning the cars to escape the local law?

Originally Posted by Mad

scott;2354835

Old 02-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by YRS
Uncle Fishbits remarks, to me, hit on all counts. His thoughts on car "values" are thought provoking; and include the dollar value and how cars are "valued" as consumer goods. As a lifetime car nut who has achieved peak car love with my F Type; my one test drive in a Model 3 made me much less afraid of the future than I once was. I think too, there's a great niche between standard brands and the true high end stuff...Volvo's starting to play that angle... If Jag plays its cards right and can create some passion and emotion behind the Leaper, there's no reason why the all electric strategy can't sustain it's future. My next new car will be electric, and I'm looking forward to the prospect -- hell, the new crop of electrics are really getting some exciting ideas going. But I can assure you my R will remain ready for the fun drives.
"Please don't feed the animals" LOL But thank you, and I am a bit obsessed with it. I've a couple friends with collections, one who has something like 60+ American classics including rare 1st vehicles Leno might have, early utilitarian vehicles like 1900s fire trucks and logging trucks, etc. I know there's a point where's it is Americana vs "just a car", but the 40s -60s stuff is aging out, and let alone gaskets blowing if you turn it on after just sitting there... who is the market? The baby boomers' wine cellars and garages are full, the Japanese import craze is legitimately catching everyone off guard... car collectors are acting to younger millennial interest like many of us act about EV. There's a wee bit of a panic out there as the new collectors are interested in the mid 80s cars they had posters of on their walls, Miami Vice and Magnum PI.

I truly fear a massive, MASSIVE glut in the car market of destabilized values of classic American vehicles up until muscle cars or so. Maybe the Chinese and Middle Eastern markets will find a home for a nostalgic yesteryear of car history, but man... The Nissan Skyline or the Buick Imperial? What's selling to a 39 year old tech guy who grew up on Fast and Furious? However, if things drop from millions into 100sK, people might pick up some fun cars that find a rational value vs the nostalgia of Silver Gen and their love for cars after the war, and the Boomers who grew up watching dad rub the car with a diaper. =)

That modern kid? He either loves those newer cars, or can't be bothered to pay attention what kind of car his uber is. A lack of interest in Americans, a lack of interest in cars, a diminishing market interest in combustible (so long term maintenance will become a pain in the ***), and shift to EV makes me baffled how these classics exist. Sadly, the best case scenario is to become museum pieces vs finding a track to loosen them up on. =(

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
fogey1 (02-18-2021), TedV (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

That Polestar is a very attractive vehicle. I once suggested to Mr. Musk that I thought a Tesla Sport Coupe, a 4 seater about the size of the original Infiniti G35 Coupe would be a good seller. Something to compete with the BMW and Audi coupes that sold in the $60K range. I also told him that I thought a more conventional appearing instrument cluster around the steering wheel that displayed needed info and a smaller than laptop sized touchscreen on the console would appeal to more conservative drivers who want an EV but want the car to have a driver's experience more like they were used to.
He agreed that a Sport Coupe sounded cool but said that at the time, their market research pointed to their current offerings and a pickup truck. But if the Polestar is successful, maybe a similar Tesla will be on the market within a couple of years. It certainly appeals to me more than the Model S, Y, or 3.
Jaguar might also have some success with a "personal luxury car" category Sport Coupe with an electric drivetrain. Electric vehicles don't have to be ugly !
Early Tesla stories will be very interesting to read. =) Did he name them so they spelled S 3 X Y ?
And I 100% got Teslas entry to market: flash for cash sports car, then functional high end Audi / BMW comp, then soccer mom, then everyman access to these luxurious trending vehicles. Quite well done.
I might look at a Tesla if there wasn't some distracting glowing screen. In the F-Type, the turning off of the screen is my favorite thing.... thank you for the instrument cluster direction. =)

Having randomly seen a Polestar last night, I will say it's the same vibe I got when i kept noticing our car on the road around 2014. I know the Polestar isn't that compelling, except the rear end is lovely, but something really struck a chord and I will probably be hovering around their delivery system on their site today, tho I've basically been out of work for a year. LOLOlololol ill advised.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:35 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Early Tesla stories will be very interesting to read. =) Did he name them so they spelled S 3 X Y ?
And I 100% got Teslas entry to market: flash for cash sports car, then functional high end Audi / BMW comp, then soccer mom, then everyman access to these luxurious trending vehicles. Quite well done.
I might look at a Tesla if there wasn't some distracting glowing screen. In the F-Type, the turning off of the screen is my favorite thing.... thank you for the instrument cluster direction. =)

Having randomly seen a Polestar last night, I will say it's the same vibe I got when i kept noticing our car on the road around 2014. I know the Polestar isn't that compelling, except the rear end is lovely, but something really struck a chord and I will probably be hovering around their delivery system on their site today, tho I've basically been out of work for a year. LOLOlololol ill advised.
If you like the rear of the Polestar 1 check out the Volvo S90. The rear is almost identical. It also costs a lot less. However the performance does not quite match the Polestar 1.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,477 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Electric vehicles don't have to be ugly !
If only the Germans would realise that! MInd you, most of their ICE cars are ugly, too, so they're merely continuing that tradition.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

It is interesting how the side profile of the Polestar Coupe is so similar to the Infiniti G35 Coupe. Looks just about right, although at $156K they won't find as many buyers as they would at half that price.
If it's successful, maybe Elon will have another thought about my suggestion from a few years ago.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpq100
If you like the rear of the Polestar 1 check out the Volvo S90. The rear is almost identical. It also costs a lot less. However the performance does not quite match the Polestar 1.
I don't need the status symbol, and I don't need to engineer in a new fuel where I park, etc. I'm fine waiting on EVs, and my wife is in the market, so knowing that's the build/design inspiration is going to get us to the dealership. Funny, my car needs service and JLR dealer by me is also Volvo. =)

Old 02-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Received 445 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes, Yes he did. He originally had the four models as S, E, X, Y but Ford had already trademarked the E for their electric vehicles so he was forced to change it and chose to go with the III, when turned sideways, looks like an E.

Kristin_w (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: JLR Going All Electric